STAKE YOUR CLAIM



Chapter 19: Part II ‘Best Christmas Ever’


The wedding party was on it’s way to Cheyenne from the Ranch. Buffy was attired in Jennifer’s altered wedding gown, the older woman’s own veil atop her long golden hair. Dawn, Buffy, Anya and Jennifer rode in the Gile’s huge buckboard, Rupert at the reins. Jennifer had insisted that they keep with tradition and have William ride his own steed, Demon, alongside Xander and Connor on their horses, separate from his soon to be bride. Angel had been sent earlier, on ahead to round up the Osbournes and Rayne’s to attend the happy occasion. Dawn had made up a beautiful bouquette of deep green ivy from Jennifer’s garden lattice and carried it in her hands until she would put it in Buffy’s for the ceremony.

Buffy was nervous, mainly because she still was not sure that Reverend Montgomery would so easily agree to marry Will and her. Connor had assured them all that he was certain that Caleb Montgomery would say the wedding words for them, which is really what Buffy wanted. She was religious enough to need the blessings of a man of the cloth and be married in the Church she had been raised in.

William rode along side the buckboard, his eyes either on the path ahead of them, or on her.

‘He thinks I look beautiful,’ she gave him a shy, soft smile. Her soon to be husband grinned at her widely, ‘love you,’ he said loud enough for everyone to hear. Buffy blushed bright red, but repeated the sentiment back to him anyway.

Once they got into town, the wedding party headed straight for the Church. Townspeople that were milling about outside of their homes and businesses stopped to look in delight at the caravan of riders. Young Tommy Jenkins, who was sweeping his parents front porch, dropped his broom and excitedly ran indoors to fetch his family members.

When most of the Jenkin’s family emerged, they waved and clapped happily for Spike and Buffy. In fact, Spike noticed ‘all’ of the people along the street seemed very pleased at the sight of the ‘couple’ as they rode to their wedding. Buffy seemed very nervous to Spike, but he attributed that to the day’s events and Reverend Montgomery’s reaction to their request.

‘If that bloody fool makes a fuss against our marriage, if he ruins this day for my Buffy, I might shoot the idiot,’ Spike thought to himself, suddenly a little nervous too.

When the group arrived at the Church, they found Angel standing outside of it with Daniel, Willow and Ethan and Cordelia Rayne. Ethan looked so proud you’d thought it was his son marrying Buffy, and Daniel, who was normally a very reserved, quiet man, was actually quite antimated.

Willow and Cordelia were beaming wildly at Buffy and nearly dragged her from the buckboard in excitement before Rupert could help her down. Buffy almost cried herself when she saw happy tears in her two friends eyes and she hugged them so hard, Willow nearly lost her breath.

“Well, we best get in and get started,” Angel piped up, “it’s all set to go. I talked to the Reverend already and asked him to marry you two. Hope that was okay.”

Angel began to chuckle and Rupert looked at his son nervously, “you did not threaten Reverend…” the Father asked his ‘Angel’ with concern.

“Nah,” Angel laughed as he looked over at Buffy and his brother, William, “if fact, here’s the funny part. When I told Reverend Caleb you two wanted to get hitched, he actually smiled and mumbled, ‘it’s about damn time.’

Buffy gave Angel a somewhat disbelieving look and noticed Will did the same. “Promise,” Angel nodded, “his Mother and him are all excited and running around like it’s his wedding.”

“Oh, and Buffy,” Angel leaned in to talk privately with his new sister, “I cleared the way for Xander and Anya to attend. Old Caleb, he’s not such a pompous fool anymore,” he finished in a whisper.

Buffy touched her new brother’s cheek, tenderly, “you are a good man, Angel Giles and I hope that some fine girl, soon comes along to make your life complete.”

Will put his arm around Buffy, smiled lovingly and gave her a naughty wink, “well, like the Reverend said, it’s about damn time we get married, Princess. Shall we,” he nodded at the Church door.

“Yes,” Buffy responded with happy assurance, “we shall.” Everyone went indoors to watch Buffy and William get hitched.

“Marriage,” Reverend Caleb Montgomery began, seriously, “is not something that should be entered into lightly.” He then grinned at the happy couple warmly, “and I know that you two are doing this for all of the right reasons,” Caleb winked at them both. Buffy blushed and giggled while William just smiled at her, lovingly.

“Marriage,” the Reverend continued soberly, “is a wonderful thing, full of promise and hope for the couple that have the strength to enter it. With the right intentions,” he added somberly, then again smiled at the couple. “However, we must remember something very important as Elizabeth ‘Buffy’ Summers and William ‘Spike’ Giles take these vows, today, in front of God, family and friends as their witnesses. Marriage, like all worth while relationships, is like a beautiful garden; it needs constant tending and nurturing to remain lovely, strong and healthy. I know, in my heart, that William and Elizabeth will tend to their new garden. With love, perserverence and respect for each other that they now have and forever will, for each other.”

“Is there a ring?” Caleb asked innocently of both the bride and groom.

“Yes,” Spike answered evenly, pulling out a beautiful gold band from his pocket and holding it up to show the Preacher and his bride, Buffy.

“Will,” Buffy gasped, “I, I didn’t know you had a ring for me. How?” Spike blushed and stammered, “it was my Mum’s. Her wedding band. I’ll buy you the best ring in Denver, one of your own, later, Princess. But for now…”

Buffy began to tear up and softly and stuttered, “I’ve no ring for you.” Rupert, who was acting as best man for his oldest son stepped around William and handed Buffy a slim golden band.

“It was my ring, when I married William’s Mum,” he said simply.

“Well,” Caleb sighed in relief, “that being settled. Elizabeth Anne Summers, do you accept this man, William Rupert Giles ring?”

Buffy raised her brow, ‘Rupert?’ she mouthed at her groom. Will just blushed and shrugged.

“Of course,” Buffy finally answered evenly.

“William,” the Reverend continued, “do you accept this ring from Elizabeth?”

Will smiled, that dazzling smile of his that melted Buffy’s heart, “absolutely,” he responded firmly.

“By the power, from God above and the Territory of Wyoming, I pronounce you Husband and Wife. William, you may kiss your lovely bride.”

And he did, Will kissed Buffy in front of everyone, including God in the ‘Cheyenne Baptist Church’ on the 4th day of December, 1881.

“There’s a wedding feast waiting at the Ranch,” Jennifer Giles crowed happily as she threw the last of the rice at William and Buffy. Dawn was sobbing uncontrollably and Buffy hugged her sister to her tiny body.

“Someday,” Buffy whispered to her little sister, “someday Connor will come for you. He will rush off to Greenville and spirit you away. I know it Dawnie, in my soul, I know it.”

Her younger sister smiled through her fresh tears and then laughed as she hugged the new bride to her.

“Let’s be off,” William ordered happily, “sooner we eat the Wedding dinner, the sooner I can take my bride off to our Honeymoon.”

Angel and Xander chuckled loudly while Dawn giggled and Jennifer gave them all a warning look.

“Oh, please,” Anya Harris chimed in, “as if we all don’t know you’ve already had the honeymoon and…” Xander guwaffed loudly, “Anya, honey, please. Not right now.”

When the wedding party exited the Church, they found a very upset and confused Riley Finn waiting for them.

“Buffy,” Deputy Finn stepped closer to the new bride, “what is this? What are you doing Buffy?”

Spike resisted the urge to deck the lumbering idiot right then and there, he did not want to ruin Buffy’s wedding day with violence.

“Why,” Buffy began as matter-of-factly as she pleased, “I’m off to my Wedding feast. That is, William’s and my Wedding supper. Then, we’re going up to his cabin, or should I say, ‘our cabin’ now, hopefully quite soon tonight, for our Honeymoon.”

Riley looked completely crushed, or lost, or stupid or all three. Spike helped his bride up onto the buckboard, “see you around Deputy,” he chortled at Finn with a smug expression on his face.

William had tied Demon to the buckboard and drove his bride, their family and friends back to his Father’s Ranch for the Wedding supper.

“It’s a shame,” Rupert sighed, “that the weather is not condusive for you children to travel down to Denver. It would be a nice Honeymoon for you both.”

Buffy smiled widely, “oh, that’s okay,” she murmered, taking her husband’s large right hand in her own tiny one, “our cabin. It’s fine. Besides,” she continued gazing at Will, lovingly, thinking how right their hands felt together, “it so does need a woman’s touch.”


It was close to sunset when the newlyweds left the Gile’s Ranch and headed up to the cabin on the bluff. It was the big bluff, the one that both William and Buffy now owned.

“Bloody hell,” Spike hissed softly as they pulled up in front of the cabin, “thought we’d never get here.”

Buffy gave him a ‘look’ then smiled affectionately, “well, we’re here now, Will,” she giggled.

“Thank God,” he continued as he leapt from the wagon and reached up for his bride, “thought I’d die from the waitin’ for you. At least here, now, we can be as loud as we want.”

The bride gasped in mock embarrassment, “William Rupert Gile’s, how can you be so crude and…”

Spike nearly yanked Buffy from the wagon, “oh, you know you love it Princess, when I’m crude and all manly like,” he chuckled.

“Yes,” she sighed shyly, “I do love it, and you.”

He kissed her funny little nose, “love you too,” then picked her up in his arms and carried her over the threshhold of their cabin.

‘Three Weeks Later’


Buffy sat in the huge living room of the Gile’s Ranch, watching the festivities of Christmas unfold before her eyes. Her Father, Hank Summers and her Mother, Joyce, were both here for the Holidays. Come to celebrate Christmas with their new family and to take Dawn home to Tennessee with them.

Will and her lived, for the time being in her little house in town; just until their new home, the one near the bottom of their bluff was completed. So many men had offerred to help erect William and Buffy’s ranch house that it would not be long until it was finished and they could move in.

“Look!” Dawn squealed as she picked up a huge, brightly wrapped package, “it’s from Connor, to me!”

The dark-haired girl ripped the paper off of the package and lifted a beautiful world globe from the box. “Oooooh,” Dawn cried in delight, “it’s beautiful, Conn,” she exclaimed as she scurried over to reward her ‘suitor’ with a warm kiss on his cheek.

William grinned at Buffy and pointed to the map of the United States on the globe, apparently, Connor had marked the Wyoming Territory and Tennessee in a bright red paint.

“This is for you, William and Buffy,” Rupert Gile’s smiled almost shyly as he handed his oldest son an envelope.

“Dad,” Spike whispered, “after your generous Wedding gift, this is too much.”

Rupert had bestowed 500 acres of his ranch land to the newlyweds, the boundaries covered part of the range and ran right up to their bluff. This is where they were starting to build their new home, the one they would share together.

Buffy stood and kissed her Father-in-law on his cheek, “you’re too good to us, Dad,” she whispered fondly. The oldest Giles blushed bright red and grinned at his lovely wife, Jennifer.

“This is for you, Will,” Buffy picked up a slim package from under the Christmas Tree and handed it to her husband. William pulled his wife onto his lap and kissed her cheek, affectionately, “thank you, Princess,” he chuckled.

“I hope you like the necklace I got you, the emeralds were meant to match your eyes, although they could never come close to ‘your’ gorgeous eyes, luv.”

Buffy smiled and nuzzled her husband’s cheek, “love it,” she murmered, “I’ll show you just how much, later tonight.”

Buffy’s present to Spike was a volume of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

“Buffy, luv,” he whispered excitedly, “I love it!” She grinned at him, then got up from Will’s lap and cleared her throat, very dramtically indeed.

“I have another Christmas present,” she announced proudly in her strong, clear voice. “It’s mostly for William, but it’s kind of for our parents, too. You, Papa and Mama, Rupert and Jennifer, it’s for all of us, really. I am certain, well, more then certain, that Will and I are going to have a baby, sometime in August and this is my Christmas gift, to all of us.”

William leapt from his chair and swept Buffy up in his arms, “Oh God, baby,” he began to cry softly, “best Christmas, ever. I love you, girl, so much.”

Buffy giggled widely and kissed her man on his lovely mouth, “love you too, William Rupert.”


A/N: Here ends the sole story of William ‘Spike’ Giles and Elizabeth ‘Buffy’ Summers. The next chapters will be in the future, involving their Children and perhaps Grandchildren. If you readers feel that I should end the story right now, please let me know. If not, I will continue with the Summers/Gile’s history for some time to come. Thanks for reading, please review. Luv, Spuf