STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 20: ‘August 20th, 1882’


A/N: A Valentine’s Day ‘happy’ chapter!


“You need to breathe, evenly, luv. Then push, like the Doc says,” Spike rasped to his wife, Buffy, with desperation. “This baby isn’t going to come by itself. Breathe, sweetheart, I’ll help time the pain and you…”

Buffy propelled her tiny body, half up from the bed she lay in, there was a slick sheen of sweat that covered her face and neck, “breathe and push your damn self! Or get the hell out of here!” she screamed at her husband.

Then she fell back onto the bed and started the process once more as Doctor Wilkens tried to shoo Spike from the room.

“It’s no place for a husband, Spike,” the Doctor insisted, “these things are best left to Doctors and women in general, please go on out now.”

Spike looked at Jennifer Giles, his stepmother anxiously, but the woman just nodded at him, “go on William,” she ordered firmly. “Doctor Wilkens and I, we’ll make sure Buffy is just fine.”

He had no choice but to turn and leave the room, he couldn’t fight them all.

When he got out of the claustrophobic room, he found his Father, Rupert, and his brothers, Angel and Connor waiting in the hallway nearby. Rupert Gile looked as if he’d been kicked by a horse, he was paler then usual and one would think it was him having the baby.

“Is Buffy all right, William?” he hurried over to his oldest son, “I wish we would have thought to have her move to town. At least the poor thing would have been closer to the Doctor.”

Spike shrugged in total defeat. If it was up to Spike Giles, he’d had have the baby himself to spare his Buffy from this pain and anguish that she was now enduring in the large guest room of his parent’s ranch house.

“Buffy’ll be fine,” he whispered as he lit a cigarette, his hands shook with anxiety, “she’s a tough little thing. Baby is just being stubborn, wants to make this last as long as it can before it makes it’s appearance Takes after it’s Mum, I’m thinking.”

Connor, Spike’s youngest brother looked sick with worry and Angel, his wild, free spirited brother looked even more concerned. The four men in the suddenly narrow hallway looked everywhere but at each other for a few moments.

‘Fucking silence is gonna’ make me go ‘round the bend,’ Spike thought anxiously. He sat on the divan that his stepmother had placed there, just for this moment and buried his head in his hands. Buffy hadn’t cried out in what seemed like an hour, which could be bad, or good, depending on how one looked at it.

“Son,” Rupert, who sat next to Spike, mumbled softly, “it’ll be okay, William. I know it.”

Spike looked up from his hands and stared at his Father, he knew the fear in his eyes betrayed him, “it has to be,” he groaned, hoarsely, “I won’t make it without Buffy, not now. Not ever.”

Angel and Connor, Spike noticed, gave each other nervous, worried glances and the hallway became silent once more. Spike could not bear it any longer and he was just about to go kick the bedroom door of his wife’s birthing room in.

Suddenly, there was a sound, so miraculous and wonderful that it broke the tense quiet of the hallway and made everything look right again. A baby’s cry broke through the air like an anthem of joy and success, or so Spike felt.

Before he could make it to the door, Jennifer slipped out of the room, grinning from ear to ear, “stay put William,” she giggled with a wink to her husband, Rupert, “it seems, according to Doctor Wilkens, that this is not over yet.”

With that, the Gile’s matriach disappeared back into the room and closed the door behind her.

Spike felt like a lost calf. He gave his Father a look of ‘what the hell do I do now and what the hell is going on?’ Rupert Giles appeared to be as clueless as his son, of course, Angel and Connor were of absolutely no help whatsoever.

“That’s it,” Spike growled, “I’m going in there no matter what the…”

Another lusty baby’s cry emitted from the behind the closed door and Spike had to be restrained by Angel and Connor to keep from breaking it down. Although it was only a minute or so, it seemed like hours to the four men in the hallway before Jennifer Gile’s came from the room, a huge smile on her face.

“Buffy’s ready to see you now, William,” she nodded at her stepson. “There’s two very beautiful little boys in there who want to meet their Daddy, too.”

Buffy lay in the sweat soaked bed, nearly unconscious from the recent ordeal. Jennifer had cleaned up the babies, immediately and lay them in their Mother’s arms, then went to fetch William.

“You look lovely, Buffy, dear,” Jennifer had smiled at her before she went out the door to the hallway.

‘Hmmm, I just bet,’ is all Buffy could manage to think as she placed the two hungry little mouths, one at each breast to have their first real world meal.

‘Gosh,’ Buffy thought with a start, ‘I hope I have enough milk for two?’

Will took that precise moment to burst into the room and race over to the bed to join the trio there.

“Buffy!” he cried as he flopped down on the bed next to her and embraced the Mother and their sons at once.

“You look like hell, William,” Buffy giggled, her voice was strained and exhausted.

“Thanks,” he mumbled into her neck, “you look beautiful Princess.”

“Well, have a look see at your twin heirs, William Giles,” Buffy instructed her husband.

Will pulled back and peered at his and Buffy’s little creations in awe. She watched her husband, carefully, wondering if he noticed that the babies were completely identical, at least for now. And beautiful, and wonderful and that they looked exactly like their Father.

“They are beautiful, baby,” Will whispered as he tweaked first one little baby cheek, then the other, gently. “They are truly miracles, our little ones. Two sides of a lovely, wonderful piece of artwork.”

Buffy saw the tears began to spill from her Will’s gorgeous blue eyes and smiled, “always the poet, Will,” she murmered lovingly.

William became very quiet, his face scrunched in puzzlement. “It’s just,” he began hesitantly, “we only picked out one name, Joyce, you were so sure it was a girl.”

Buffy broke out in exhausted laughter, “well I’m sure if we put both our heads together, we’ll think of two very good names for our sons,” she chortled.

“I think we should call this one,” Buffy nodded at the boy on her left, “William Rupert Giles, Jr. and…”

Spike leapt up from the bed and began to pace about the room, “like bloody hell we’re namin’ my son Jr.,” he paused his pacing and growled lowly.

Buffy gave him one of her irrisistable pouts and he softened a bit, “okay, William Rupert Giles, but no Jr.! First person, calls that kid Jr. and I’ll shoot myself!”

She grinned then scowled a little, “maybe we should name him William and the other baby Rupert for a first name?”

William Giles just glared at his beautiful, very smart wife in disbelief, “Buffy,” he began evenly, “if you name my Dad’s Grandson, Rupert, then my old man will shoot me.”

Buffy began to giggle again, “oh all right, you big baby,” she shook her head in exasperation. “How about we call them William Rupert Giles and Henry, or Hank Summers Giles?”

Spike paused to ponder the two names and decided he liked them well enough, “all right then,” he grinned and flopped back down on the bed next to his little family, “Will and Hank. Sounds right, doesn’t it?”

His wife smiled, as he embraced them again, and nodded, “love you,” she whispered to him, then looked down at their sons.

“Love you, too, and thank you, Princess. For everything,” Spike responded, placing a gentle kiss on Buffy’s cheek, then one on each of his newborn son’s foreheads.


A/N: Just a quick chapter to keep this flowing a bit. Did anyone catch the title and understand why I picked that date for the twins birth? Thanks for reading and please review. Only eight or so more chapters left. Luv, Spuf