STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 5: ‘Emerald Green’


A/N: I will try and title each new chapter from here on in. Thanks! Luv, Spuf


Buffy followed Cordelia Rayne into the Cheyenne Mercantile that unusually warm Monday morning. Cordy (Cordelia had insisted that Buffy call her that) had cohereced Buffy into going to at least to see the emerald green dress she’d spoken of. Besides, Buffy did need some necessities from the little general store and of course she enjoyed Willow’s company so much that any excuse to have coffee or tea with the two women was welcomed.

Willow was helping a man and presumably his wife with something behind the little counter as they entered, but Buffy could see the red-head’s grey eyes light up when she spied them.

“Oh!” Willow cried with a smile, “please come up here, I want you to meet my Uncle and his wife, Buffy!”

Buffy had learned earlier that Willow had been brought out two years before to work in the Mercantile that her Uncle Saul Rosenberg owned. The youngish fair-haired woman with him was indeed his wife, Tara.

“Buffy’s come to see the dress everyone’s so admired, Uncle,” Willow gushed excitedly, “come on Buffy. Let’s take a peek!”

While Cordy stood and chatted with the reserved Mrs. Rosenberg and her older red-haired husband, Buffy let Willow lead her to this mysterious, must have dress.

“Here it is!” Willow cried with delight, pointing to a lovely dress that was draped perfectly on a store mannequin. It set back from the front window, almost as if Willow or someone had tried to hide it from public view. Almost as if someone had hidden in wait for Buffy Summers! Buffy sighed in awe at the sight of the dress, it reminded her of one of her party dresses she had left back home in Tennessee. Except those dresses were never green, not emerald green, anyway, but pink or light blue,usually. The dress was not spun from the usual broadcloth of an every day dress, it appeared to be made of a satin material, perhaps taffeta. It had puffed sleeves, a low but proper neckline and fit the upper body. The bodice ended just above the waistline and the skirt of the dress flared just enough to be appropriate for a single lady.

“Oh,” Buffy whispered, still in awe of the beautiful dress before her, “I, wish I could have it, Willow.”

Cordy scurried up to the Buffy and Willow, having left Mr. And Mrs. Rosenberg in the dust behind her.

“And you shall have it Buffy!” Cordelia exclaimed with delight. “I told you, if it’s too dear as far as cost, I’ll treat. It’s the least the Mayor’s wife could do, this cheap City Council dragging you all the way out here and not….”

Buffy sighed in resignation, “no, I’ll buy it, Cordy.” Buffy had no intention of letting this masterpiece of a dress get by her and she certainly could not allow Cordelia Rayne to purchase it for her; her pride would not let her.

“I think we might need a few alterations, Buffy,” Willow said quietly, her long fingers up to her chin in thought. “Let’s get you in the dressing area, it’s quite private, and we’ll take measurements.”

Cordelia piped in, “the alterations ‘must’ be done by Wednesday morning, Wills. Our supper at the Giles is that night and Buffy simply must wear this dress! If Spike Giles isn’t completely taken in by Buffy by now, which I’m sure he is, this dress on her will push him over the cliff at first glance.”

Buffy blushed profusely, “Cordy, I told you, Spike Giles is ‘nice’ yes but….”

Willow grabbed Buffy’s arm and steered her to the private dressing area, “we’ll be just a minute!” she called back to Uncle, Aunt and Cordelia Rayne.

Willow giggled as she closed the door of the dressing area behind her, “you’ll have to forgive Cordelia Rayne. She’s a bit of a romantic at heart and just thinks that Spike Giles and you are perfect for each other. Of course, so does Daniel, but in the end, it’s your choice Buffy.”

Buffy blushed again, but more from annoyance then embarrassment, “why does everyone have me marrying Spike Giles when I’ve only been in town a week?” she whined, slipping out of her grey day dress and reaching for the emerald green dream.

“Things happen fast out here, Buffy,” Willow explained as she began to take measurements and fittings of Buffy and the dress. “It’s natural that a young, single woman such as yourself would be considered a ‘prize’ for the single men of the Territory. Even Daniel thinks you’ll be married off, to Spike that is, before the new year! And he talks to Spike and his brothers all the time so…”

Buffy shot the red-head a warning look and Willow grew silent after that remark and just concentrated on her measuring tape and pins.

“I think we’ll need to just take it in an inch or two here, raise the hem a tad. There, it’ll be perfect, Buffy,” Willow nodded contentedly at her work.

When Buffy redressed in her grey day dress, she hurried out of the tiny changing area and ran smack dab into Spike Giles. Spike appeared to be lingering about the dry goods section, but Buffy wondered if he wasn’t just biding his time, perhaps waiting for her. His smile confirmed her suspisions and Buffy couldn’t help but smile back at him.

“Good day, Mr. Giles,” she stammered as she glanced around the Mercantile for Cordelia. Mrs. Rayne was still standing by the counter, talking quietly to Tara Rosenberg, but she flashed a wicked grin at Buffy and turned her back to the younger woman as if to say, ‘you are on your own Buffy, dear.’

“Thought you might call me Spike,” Mr. Giles purred, never taking his blue eyes from her. Buffy blushed warmly but met his blue eyes with her green ones, “and I shall,” she stated simply, “good day to you, Spike.”

William Giles seemed quite pleased by this and actually bowed, slightly to her, “good day Miss Buffy,” he responded gallantly. Suddenly, a tall dark haired young man joined them and Buffy was introduced by Spike to Xander Harris, his ranch hand. Apparently, from all signs, Xander was also considered a good friend of Spike’s.

“Maam,” Xander tipped his hat politely. Buffy noticed that Mr. Harris did not peruse her with his chocolate brown eyes, not like the other men out here. Then she remembered, Xander Harris had married the ex-saloon girl, Anya was her name. They were expecting a child.

Taking the initiative, Buffy held out her hand to Xander, “I understand you’re to be a Father soon, Mr. Harris,” she stated warmly, “congratulations.”

Xander beamed proudly, “thank you, Miss Summers,” he stammered a bit shyly, “I’m very excited about it.”

Buffy smiled warmly, again, at the shy young father-to-be. She looked over at Cordy who appeared to be ‘concerned’ by her conversation with the man who’d married an ex-saloon girl, then at Willow, who looked at Buffy with admiration. Then Buffy glanced at Spike, who looked at her as if she was a Goddess on Earth.

“Ask her,” Spike ordered Xander, but keeping his blue eyes on Buffy.

“Mr. Harris?” Buffy inquired.

“I was wondering,” Xander Harris began cautiously, “I mean, my wife, Anya, my wife and I, we were wondering.” The tall dark-haired man began to stammer, seemingly unsure of what he wanted to ask or how.

Buffy smiled with encouragement, “you and Anya wondered?” she asked softly.

“Well,” Xander hesitated again with a blush and a look to his friend and employer, Spike Giles.

“Oh for Pete’s sake!” Spike sighed in exhasperation, “Xander here and his wife, Anya wanted to know if you might be, Miss Buffy, agreeable to do them a favor?”

Buffy scrunched up her forehead, a habit both her Mother and Father had always hated, but Mammy Buffy had found ‘sweet’ in nature, “what favor?” she squeaked, somewhat confused.

“They,” Spike continued, “Xander wondered if you might find it in your heart to teach Anya, his wife, her ABC’s, reading if you will? Of course, the Harris’s would be more then willing to compensate you, Miss Buffy. Pay you, if you will.”

Buffy just knew she looked stunned for a moment, then she pulled herself together and answered boldly, "I’d be happy to help your wife with her ABC’s and reading, Mr. Harris. I wouldn’t think of any repayment, it’s my pleasure to teach anyone who has a will to learn.”

She could just hear Cordelia snort from her place in the corner of the Mercantile, but was grateful to hear Willow sigh in admiration. Even Mr. And Mrs. Rosenberg beamed with approval at her, ‘maybe it’s going to be all right,’ Buffy surmised silently, ‘I’ll just have to settle in best I can. My way.’

“I enjoy reading at night, Miss Summers,” Xander explained shyly, “Anya thought it would be nice to learn to read. She thought it would be something to do together. I hope it’s not an imposition, Maam.”

Xander Harris looked like a shy schoolboy to Buffy and it tugged at her heart, ‘he loves her,’ she thought happily. ‘Xander loves his wife, Anya, and wants her to be happy and secure with her new life.’

“I’d be happy to help your wife, Mr Harris. Please have her come around to the school house in oh, say about a week or so. My new home is to be ready by this Sunday and I think I’ll be setting up the school house next week. She and I can talk about the lessons and please, don’t worry about payment, like I said, I’m more then happy to teach a quick and willing mind to learn.”

Xander looked past relief and Buffy had to stifle a chuckle, ‘he’s so in love with her,’ she sighed inwardly, ‘must be nice.’

The tall dark man tipped his hat again in thanks and left Buffy alone by the dry goods with Spike.

“You are a truly exceptional young woman, Miss Buffy,” Spike whispered with a tone of complete, honesty.

“Why, thank you Spike,” she whispered back, somewhat taken aback by this handsome, fair-haired man’s admiration.

“Tell me,” Buffy stood back and eyed Spike Giles with interest, “just exactly how many of the good townspeople around here accept Xander Harris, or more importantly his beloved wife, Anya?”

Spike averted his blue eyes from Buffy for a moment, the first time since he’d met up with her in the Mercantile. “Not many, Buffy,” he muttered softly, looking about to make sure Xander couldn’t hear.

“I see,” Buffy responded, again scrunching up her sweet little face. “Pity,” Buffy sighed, “I’d hoped that the folks out here in the great Wyoming Territory would have been a bit more shall we say, progressive?”

Spike raised his left, scarred eyebrow, this little tasty morsel had not ceased to amaze him since her arrival and she showed no signs of stopping now.

“Progressive?” he asked with a smirk, “in what way, Miss Buffy?”

The little honey blonde gift to mankind just continued in thought then finally stated firmly, “we all have a past, Spike,” she shook her head. “Some of us have things back there, feelings of remorse, regret, that we wouldn’t confess to a Priest, even if we were Catholic; and ones I would never discuss with our pious Reverend Montgomery. If Xander Harris loved Anya enough, and she him, to accept her past, then who am I, you or this town to question it? How could I, a so called teacher, turn down such a heart felt and loving request from such a seemingly kind man who clearly loves his wife with all of his heart?”

Spike remained silent for a moment or two, staring deep into Buffy’s emerald green eyes with the utmost in admiration and respect.

“You really are an exeptional young woman, Buffy,” he murmered, boldly tucking a loose strand of her honey blonde hair behind her little ear.

“Thank you,” she whispered with a blush, averting her eyes from him.

“I’m looking forward to your visit for supper on Wednesday, Miss Buffy,” Spike offerred, trying to change the subject. “I’m hoping that you will be wearing that exquisite little green dress that you’ve been trying on?”

Buffy gasped in embarrassment, “you are really too bold for words, Spike!” However, his warm, sincere grin, not so much a smirk as a smile, caused Buffy to calm down a bit. “I wouldn’t think of wearing anything but my new emerald green dress, Spike,” she whispered coquettishly as she nodded and turned her back on him. “Cordy,” she called, “I’m ready to go now.”

Buffy joined Cordy, Willow and her new acquaintances, the Rosenbergs at the front of the Mercantile. Before she slipped through the front door, she glanced back at William ‘Spike’ Giles who just stood, grinning at her, his blue eyes flashing in merriment.

“Good afternoon, Miss Summers,” he called with a slight chuckle, “I look forward, definitely, to your visit at the Ranch Wednesday.”

She nodded at Spike, then Xander Harris and hurried out the door of the dry goods store, trying very hard not to glance back at the handsome English expatriate.

“I see what you mean, Spike,” Xander Harris admitted quietly, looking at his employer with a grudging respect. “She is quite a lady, isn’t she?”

Spike had the same grin he’d shown earlier and glanced over at his ranch hand and one of his best friends, “she’s more then that, Harris,” he stated with confidence, “Miss Buffy Summers is going to be my wife. Mark my words. Even if I have to move Heaven and Hell to make it so.”

Wednesday had come sooner then Buffy expected, but she was up to the task of pulling herself together, completely, to impress the entire Gile’s family. Buffy was more then excited to meet Drusilla, the oldest Giles sibling and her husband Lord Wesley Rhys-Smythe, a Lord no less!

However, a part of Buffy was quite anxious to see Spike again, even if she should be more cautious about that and less excited then she was.

‘Get a hold of yourself Buffy,’ she had ordered herself more then once that Wednesday morning and afternoon, ‘he’s a man, that’s all. Forget that he’s got the bluest eyes you have ever seen or that he is quite intelligent or that he actually reads William Shakespeare, I’m sure.’

Buffy dressed with extra care that afternoon, torn between wearing her blonde hair up in a loose knot, or down in a cascade about her shoulders.

“I think the down, loose cascade look,” Cordelia interjected as she entered Buffy’s room. “Your hair is like spun gold, Buffy, don’t tie it up and force it into a severe bun. It’s more lovely down and free, somewhat like you my dear.”

Buffy blushed, but let her hair down to fall around her shoulders in a wave of golden silk. Cordelia had, the moment they had left the Mercantile on Monday, made it clear that she certainly did not approve of Buffy Summers, School Teacher, helping an ex-saloon girl like Anya learn her letters and to read. With a mere smile, along with a shrug, Buffy had let Cordy know that she had every intention of hearing Mrs. Anya Harris out. After all, Buffy was a teacher, first and foremost, she expected nothing more of her students then an attentive mind, a will to learn and an appreciation of that knowledge. If Anya Harris wanted to learn her letters and to read, then Buffy would be glad to teach her. Cordelia had said no more on the subject since and Buffy never mentioned it again to her hostess. Right now, Buffy and Cordelia were more interested in dressing up for tonight’s supper at the Gile’s Ranch.

The three Rayne children, tiny tot terrors that they were, were going to stay in town with their Uncle and Aunt Osbourne. Mayor Rayne, his wife Cordelia and Elizabeth ‘Buffy’ Summers would drive out to the Gile’s Ranch in style, in the new Rayne buggy that Mr Rayne had purchased for his beloved wife, Cordelia.

It was not a real long trip to the Gile’s Ranch, but Buffy found herself almost dreading their arrival. She found her heart beating much too rapidly as they approached the imposing home of Giles. Something she tried to attribute to the fact that she would be meeting ‘Lord Wesley Rhys-Smythe and his wife Drusilla’, but Buffy had to be honest.

‘It’s more because of Spike,’ she sighed to herself as the buggy pulled up in front of the ranch house. As if on cue, the Gile’s front door flew open and Rupert, Jennifer, Angel and Connor burst out as a warm welcoming committee. Spike, Buffy noticed sauntered up behind, a sly smile on his face.

“So good of you all to come!” Jennifer Giles gushed, hugging Cordelia, then Buffy as they were helped down from the buggy by Rupert.

“Oh, look, boys!” Mrs. Giles gasped in delight, “doesn’t our Buffy look like a vision today?”

Angel bent over Buffy’s hand and kissed it in the most genteel fashion. Spike, on the on the other hand, raked his blue eyes over her like a starving man at a banquet, making her blush like a virgin bride.

“She’s a vision all right, Jennifer,” Spike stated lazily, offering his arm to Buffy, who almost had the boldness to ‘not take it!’

Buffy did take it, somewhat reluctantly, thinking to herself, ‘what a brash, bold man you are, Spike Giles! I’ll show you ‘vision’ all right! Bet I can make you weak in the knees before this night is over sir. I’ll make you quiver like a schoolboy at his first dance. Just wait and see if I don’t!’

“Our cook has made the most delicious looking roast lamb,” Jennifer stated proudly, “it’s perfect! But first, we must go into the parlor and have some tea!”

Spike watched Buffy as she drank her tea with the most delicate, precise sips he’d ever seen. He, himself, never much cared for tea, not since he had arrived here in Wyoming and taken to the stronger American coffee that was so popular amongst the locals. But just watching his future wife (well at least in his own mind) sip her English tea brew like a dainty little kitten lapping at cream; well, it made him arroused beyond words.

“How is your tea, Miss Summers?” Rupert Giles asked politely, smiling at his wife, Jennifer as if to say, ‘did I do well, darling?’

“It is fine, Mr. Giles. Thank you,” Buffy responded sweetly, for some reason darting a glance at Spike, who had not stopped staring at her for an hour or so. Spike smiled at her boldly, leaning up against the fireplace mantel, not making any attempt to hide his bold peruse of her as she drank her tea and tried to make conversation with his Stepmother and Cordelia Rayne. Connor looked bored beyond tears and Angel kept looking outside of the parlor window, no doubt thinking of some saloon girl strumpet he’d just love to be shagging right this minute.

Supper was announced close to an hour or so after Buffy and the Raynes had arrived at the ranch. Buffy was fully aware of the affect the emerald green dress was having on all of the Gile’s men, but her main interest, was the affect it was having on Spike Giles.

‘No question,’ Buffy thought smugly as she was sat by Spike himself at the dinner table, ‘this dress and myself, we are having a huge affect on Spike!’

The poor man hadn’t been able to keep his eyes off of Buffy since she had arrived, and as much as she ‘seemed’ to detest his attention, she actually craved it! Buffy smiled coyly up at Spike, trying not to be too coquettish in her manner, but it was so much fun, really! One thing she had always been good at, Buffy that is, was flirting like a real Southern lady and tonight she was pulling out all of the stops.

“Tell me, Buffy,” Spike smiled over at her as he passed her the bread dish, “how did you get such an interesting nickname?”

‘There you beautiful little brat,’ Spike snickered silently, ‘answere that and flash me that exquisite little smile of yours.’

“It was my Mother’s Mammy’s name,” Buffy stated simply, buttering her bread, not even looking at him. “She was my Mother’s best friend, and mine later of course. Then much later, my dear husband Parker was my best friend. I think husband and wife should be good friends, don’t you William?” she batted her golden lashes at him and Spike literally ‘rose’ to the occasion.

“Yes, friends, Miss Buffy,” he concurred, sipping his wine thoughtfully, “but frankly, I think husband and wife can’t be truly friends. They can love, fight, make love and shag, but….” Rupert Giles cleared his throat and interrupted, “don’t you have something to tell Miss Summers, William?”

He glared at his oldest son, even as Jennifer, Cordelia and Angel chuckled behind their napkins. Ethan Rayne just grinned like an old fool, tipsy on wine from supper.

“Right,” Spike stammered, glancing at Buffy with an almost red face. Buffy just glared back at him, coolly, apparently not missing the innuendo that Spike had put out to her about the shagging and all.

“I, I mean we,” Miss Buffy, Spike began with caution, “well, my Dad and I, the whole City Council that is, we decided that you should have a means of transportaion. I mean a horse, that is Miss Buffy. One that suits you, of course.”

Ethan Rayne jumped in here, “Spike here is one of the finest horsemen in the Territory, Miss Summers,” he said proudly. Almost as if Spike was his own son.

Rupert nodded with his own Fatherly pride, “my son, Spike ‘is’ the best horseman around, Miss Summers. Knows more about horses then anyone. The City Council commissioned me to find you a suitable horse and of course, I went to Spike here to get the best. I think you’ll like the mare he’s picked out for you. Right son?”

Spike just blushed, ‘bloody hell! I blushed!’ and looked over at Buffy, who just stared at her supper plate.

“I really think you’ll like Cloud, Miss Buffy,” he stammered shyly, something that he would never think of doing under normal circumstances.

Angel and Connor cried, “Cloud!” Both of youngest Giles boys gasped in shock.

“I thought you were going to mate Cloud with your horse Demon, Spike!” Connor gasped in shock.

Buffy looked around at the large table of stunned faces. “Your horse’s name is Demon?” she asked Spike in surprise. He just nodded at her, concentrating on his own supper before him.

“This Cloud,” Buffy began carefully, “is this your horse? Your own stallion’s mate?”

Spike dared a glance at her, “well, I raised her, Cloud that is, since birth. Thought I’d mate her with my own horse, Demon, but I think she suits you best, Miss Buffy. That is if you want her. I had Xander bring her around, put her in the corral outside. She’s a pretty little Palomino, not too large, or too small, just right for you, I think that is.

Buffy smiled sideways at Spike, a little embarrassed by the warm feelings she was having for this man right at the moment.

“I am sure that Cloud, as you call her, will be just fine for me Spike,” she whispered, barely loud enough for him to hear.

“After supper,” Spike smiled, a most dazzling smile to Buffy, “we can go have a look at Cloud,” he offerred proudly. “I think you’ll really appreciate her, Miss Buffy.”

Buffy nodded gratefully, then went back to her rather tasty lamb supper.


A/N: A long one, sorry! I hope readers are really getting into this story. It’s a tough one for me, but I’m sticking with it! Thanks and please review.
Luv, Spuf