Chapter 1

One year later.....

William came awake with a gasp and a jerk. It was the same dream. Every night, the same dream. An alley, rain, blood, sadness and despair. He always awoke with a sense of loss and the feeling you get when you forget something, but can't quite remember what it was. Though, that must be normal when you don't remember who you are. William groaned and reached over and switched the alarm off. He didn't even know why he set it. It's not like he'd ever used it to wake up. Sleep was as elusive for him as his memories were. Every morning when he opened his eyes, he wished he hadn’t. This probably wasn't the best attitude to have, but he couldn't help it. It had been almost a year since he woke up in that alley, and it had only gotten worse. He still couldn't remember anything prior to that moment, nothing at all. He wasn't even sure if William was his real name. It was a depressing way to live. He had nothing to tie him to this world, and it was starting to take its toll. He stared up at the ceiling and took a deep breath. It was always the hardest first thing in the morning. It felt like the whole world was pressing down on him. A single tear slipped down his cheek. Feeling a bit embarrassed, he wiped it away and mumbled, "Wanker."

It would have been better if he had friends and maybe a girlfriend, but it was too hard to open himself up to people when he didn't even know who he was. It’s not like he never had the opportunity to make friends. William had received advances from women, and his co-workers had tried to befriend him on more than one occasion, but he just couldn't do it. He tried, but it was like something was holding him back. It could have been a subconscious effort on his part trying to protect himself, or it could just be that he was bleeding wanker. He didn't know. Once a few months back he put in a conscious effort into making friends with a few of the guys from the site. He went to a bar with them and even ordered a drink. But as he sat there watching people laugh, connect, and just enjoying themselves he felt isolated and alone. The feeling freaked him out so much he almost had a panic attack. He had made a quick, rather unbelievable excuse, and literally ran out of the place. His co-workers had basically avoided him ever since. It could also be the fact that he looked like utter crap. He didn't really sleep, and had to force himself to eat just so he wouldn't collapse on the job. It was a downward spiral that was coming ever closer to the hard cement at the end.

William sat in bed contemplating the farce that was his life. He knew that he should focus on the happier things, but it was hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, while you were being buried by falling debris.

Bored by the ceiling, William rolled to his side and stared at the table next to his bed. Sitting on that table was the passport. One British passport, and that was all that proved his existence in the world. No friends or family, just a passport....and a black leather duster. But who knows what that was all about. That brought up as many questions as the bleached hair.

His mind started running again. Okay, I know two things. I'm British, and was obviously a punk rocker. Wow, that was a long list. I'm so deep. Bloody Hell.

Maybe he needed a change. Maybe he should ask his boss at the construction site if he knew of any jobs somewhere else. Los Angeles was getting old. He looked at the clock again. 4:10. Joy. Three more hours till it was time to punch the time clock.

William laid in bed for a few more hours, before he got up to get ready for work. As he got ready to take a shower, he looked down at his body. It never ceased to amaze him the amount of scars he had. There was one on his left side that looked like someone had stabbed him with a large knife, and there were others that just made it look like he had led a rather violent life. And the fact that he woke up in an alley covered in blood just cemented that idea. With a sigh, he stepped into the shower to get ready for another day.

After forcing himself to eat a banana and finishing the rest of his morning routine, he left for work. Once he hit the sidewalk, he paused like he did every morning. He couldn't get enough of the early morning sunshine. He didn't know why, but it made him feel so alive. William smiled, some things about this life weren't so bad after all. While he was standing there enjoying the sun, he flashed back to the idea he had earlier that morning. It’s what he needed to do. William decided right then that he was leaving LA. He needed a fresh start. Someplace where he hadn't been. Someplace where he could start his life over. The hell with knowing about his past, he just needed a future.