Chapter 8

William stood in front of the microwave sipping a Big Gulp. This was his idea of Nirvana, Ramen Noodles and a Coke. After all the emotional upheaval he’d experienced this week, he deserved some time to just be lazy. He took the noodles out of the microwave, settled down on the bed and switched on the TV. He loved television; in fact, it was becoming apparant to him that he would watch pretty much anything. Well, everything except soap opera's. For some reason they just gave him a weird feeling. Deciding for once to not think about his problems, he instead focused on some weird snake-hunter show on Animal Planet. Bloody hell, these idiots were entertaining to watch. Though, it would be a damn site more interesting if one of the poncy animal guys would get himself bitten once in a while.

About an hour later, the stupid animal-lovers in khakis were starting to bug him. Using the truly ancient remote that came with the TV, he turned it off and flipped over onto his back on the bed. He had tried to forget about the talk he’d had with Xander, but try as he might, he just couldn't. The whole night had been almost cathartic for him. He felt like all the stress and depression that he’d experienced with the whole amnesia thing had been expunged a little bit. It wasn't all gone, though. The wrongness of the situation, the feeling that he should be somewhere or remember something was still there, but it wasn’t weighing him down anymore. He felt kind of free. He shouldn’t be so hard on Harris; the whole talking thing really had helped him. Maybe Vegas would be good for him after all. With that final thought he decided that he hadn't fully recovered from his hangover, so he grabbed his pillow, shoved it under his head and fell asleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thump thump, thump thump

He was helping Xander hammer a sheet of wood up against a window. He was in a house that he didn't recognize, but it felt like home. It was a nice feeling. He started to look around the house, but Xander turned to him and started talking.

"You know I don't like you, right?"

It was him answering Xander, yet it wasn't. "I think you might have mentioned it once or twice."

"And I'll never admit to saying this, but the soul thing. It was a good choice."

He was embarrassed by Xander's comment. He wanted to snark back and say something rude. Anything to cover the pleasure he was feeling at those words. He prepared to say something particularly vial, but then stopped himself. He wasn't that type of person anymore.


thump thump thump thump

Xander had turned back to the window and was going to town with the hammer and nails.

thump thump thump thump

The sound was getting really loud and annoying, "Bloody Hell, Xander. Stop the damn hammering."

Xander turned to him and started yelling, "Open the door William, it's 3 in the afternoon! Let me in!!"


He woke up. What the hell was that? He shook his head, trying to rid himself of the weird and disorienting feelings that flowed around him. That dream felt so real, like it had actually happened or something.

"William!! Open the damn door!!"

Realizing that Xander really was there, he stumbled over and opened the door. He winced at the bright sunlight, and quickly motioned Xander in.

"Bloody Hell, Harris. Get in quick. It's too bright."

Xander walked in, while William closed the door. William turned around and gave Xander a rather dirty look.

"William, if looks could kill..."

"I was asleep"

Xander took in his disheveled hair, wrinkled clothes, and blood shot eyes, "Looks like you need it too," He tried to stifle his laughter, but failed miserably.

William rolled his eyes, and walked over to the sink. He ran some water and started to wash his face. When he had finished, he felt much better and ready to be conversational. He threw the towel down on the counter and turned to face Xander.

"What do you want?"

"My friend and I are going to lunch tomorrow, wanna come?"

"Not really"

"Good, we'll pick you up tomorrow at 1. Be ready."

Annoyed, William said, “Harris, you really know how to ruin a bloke’s good mood.”

“What? It’s a free lunch, and you get to get out of this room.”

William was still a little thrown off by his dream, so he quickly agreed to go. Anything to get Xander out of the room. “Whatever. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

"Good. You won’t regret it. Have a good rest of the day and I’ll see you tomorrow!" With that Xander opened the door and went on his way.

William sat down on the bed and stared at the closed door. That man was weird and entirely too cheerful. And he thought he had issues. Rubbing his eyes, William lay down and stretched out. The dream. He couldn’t wrap his mind around it. What did it mean? Why now? It had been so clear and for once he could actually remember everything about it. Like the house. It had been so familiar. He had been there before, he was certain of it. Being in that house made him feel. . .complete? The conversation with Xander had seemed familiar too. It was almost like a memory. But why would Xander be in a memory? He only just met him last week. The other thing that bothered him was the actual conversation they had. What was Xander saying about a soul? What did that mean? Maybe it was just leftover alcohol hang over stuff. But it seemed so real. William groaned and decided to forget about it for now. He was too worn out to analyze an odd dream, so he decided to go back to sleep. Maybe he’d go see a movie after his nap. Escapism was always a good thing.