After dropping Buffy’s personal belongings off at the hospital, Willow and Xander were on their way to meet Spike.

They both breathed deeply before ringing the bell. After a few seconds, Spike opened the door, wearing his usual black jeans and t-shirt.

“Red, Harris?” he said, surprised. “I didn’t expect you. Is everything all right?”

“Can we come in?” Xander asked with a serious face. Willow’s face wasn’t any friendlier. Spike realized what was going on, and he opened the door a little more, allowing them to come inside. “Of course, I’m sorry, have a seat, please. Can I offer you something to drink?”

“Yes,” Xander answered right away. “What’s the strongest thing you have?”

“I have some scotch. Are you alright, Harris? You’re freaking me out.”

“May I have some, please?” he said without answering his question.

“Sure.” He opened the bottle as he turned to ask him, “How do you want it?”

“However it is that you take it. Just make it double.”

“Suit yourself, mate. Here you go,” Spike said as he handed him a glass with straight scotch before sitting in the chair in front of them. “Now, tell me what’s the bloody problem already.”

“Here, Spike, this is for you.” Xander gave him the glass back. “Drink it.”

“What? Have you gone completely carrot-top?”

“Just drink it, Spike. Trust me, you’ll need it.”

“What’s your bloody problem?”

“Drink it, Spike,” Willow finally snapped as she opened her mouth for the first time since they arrived. Spike was shocked by her determination.

“Fine, but you better well tell me what the bloody problem is,” he said as he drank the whole thing in one big gulp before putting the glass on the table in front of him. “Done. Now why are you here?”

“Well, I don’t know how to make it easier, so I’ll just tell you- Buffyisawake!” Willow said without making any pauses.

“Say that again, Red, Because it sounded like you said that Buffy is awake,” he said in shock.

“That’s what I said.”

“But how? When?” He stood up and began walking back and forth like a lion in a cage.

“She woke up yesterday,” Xander said.

“Yesterday?” Spike looked at them, angry. “And you are just telling me now?”

“Well, it’s just that we needed to talk to the doctor first to find out the situation before we could…”

“Before what? Before you could decide what role I play in this? After all this time and everything that we have been through, you still don’t count me into your little group, huh?”

“I’m sorry. It was all very sudden, and we didn’t know how to tell you…”

“Just like that, Red! Bloody hell!” He suddenly realized that he had been too mad to even ask about her. “How is she?” His face and voice changed radically from angry to concerned, almost sweet.

“We still don’t know for sure,” Willow began softly, touched by the look on his face. “They are running some tests as we speak to determine her condition.”

“But is she going to be alright?”

“We really don’t know, Spike. There’s a good chance she’ll be suffering from some kind of amnesia, but we still don’t know how severe could it be.”

“I want to see her.”

“Spike, buddy, it’s not so simple,” Xander said as he stood up and walked to him. “The doctor said that we should avoid giving her shocking news, at least for a while, until she is ready to handle the truth.”

“So, what? I’m supposed to hide? No way! After all this time, she needs to know the truth.”

“Not right now. We don’t even know how much she can remember, and the doctor warned us that news like that could affect her really bad- she could go into some kind of shock. She asked us to try to act like we were 5 years ago so she can get used to her life again before we fill her in. Please, Spike- this is in Buffy’s best interest.”

“And how about me? And how about Isabelle? She has the right to know that she has a daughter.”

“I know, and she will. Just give it some time.”

“How about me? She knew me pretty well before the accident.”

“Well… you two didn’t have the best relationship at the time.”

“I get it- so you want me and my daughter to hide and pretend we don’t exist?”

“No, please don’t take it that way. Let’s just wait and see what she remembers first.”

“So she can remember how much she hated me? How she used me? How disgusted by me she was? Yeah, really looking forward to that. I’m sure she’ll love to hear that she had a baby with a man she despised, who was so beneath her.” There was so much bitterness in his words. He was still very hurt by her last words to him. “You are beneath me… I could never be your girl… There’s nothing good in you… I’m using you, and it’s killing me. I’m sorry, William.” For the last 5 years, these words had haunted him. Months later, after the big fight against Glory, Buffy ended up in a coma. It was a miracle that she survived that fall, and an even bigger miracle when they found out that she was pregnant and that the baby seemed fine. Nobody understood how was it possible that Buffy could be pregnant, and least of all carrying Spike’s baby, considering he was indeed a vampire and therefore was unable to have kids. For a while, they thought that it was probably Riley’s baby, even when they knew that him and Buffy had broken up a while ago, or maybe it belonged to some one else they didn’t know. But after Willow ran some mystical tests, they confirmed that the baby was indeed Spike’s and that the mystical powers that allowed that impossible conception had been the ones that had saved Buffy and the baby from dying.

Spike took off for a while after Buffy’s accident and learning about her pregnancy. They all thought he was gone for good. But they were amazed to see him return 3 months later, changed. He went to the end of the world to seek his missing part, the only thing that could make him worthy of this child, his and Buffy’s baby- his soul.

He came back a changed man, and eventually, they all realized how committed he was to the idea of taking care of this baby. He visited Buffy everyday at the hospital, where she was lying asleep. He watched her brokenheartedly as her stomach began getting bigger and bigger as the weeks passed by. He was present on the moment of the birth of his daughter.

He almost cried when he first set eyes on Isabelle. She was as beautiful as her mother; the only difference was that she had his blue eyes. Even Giles was touched by his sudden change. He moved into the Summers house to be close to her. He was in charge of the night-shift, and he enjoyed every single second of it. Isabelle slept during the day and stayed awake at night for the first 6 months of her life. First, they all thought that maybe she was half-vampire, but Willow concluded that she was human- she just liked to be with her father. From day one, they both shared a special connection and became inseparable. As she grew older, Spike could see that she looked more like her mom a little more every day and he loved that, but at the same time, it killed him, not only because it was a constant reminder that she never loved him, but mainly because she wasn’t there, that she was in a coma, lying on a hospital bed, instead of being with her daughter.