Chapter 10

It was late when they got back to the house. Spike figured that Joyce and Dawn were asleep as he went to the kitchen. Buffy and Faith went into the living room and sat down on the couch. She hardly said anything since they left the Bronze. Spike came back with a glass of water and handed it to Buffy. She took a few sips and put the glass down. "You feeling better?" Spike asked her and all she did was nod her head. Spike sat down on the other side of her. "You ready to talk about what happened?" Buffy shook her head; she wasn't really in the mood to talk. Faith felt bad for her friend and put her arm around her. Buffy put her head on her shoulder and they stayed like that for a little while. Spike just wished she would talk to him; he was really worried about her. "You should head home now, Faith. It's pretty late." Spike told her and she nodded.

"Yeah, and you should get some rest. You're probably tired." Faith said to Buffy and she nodded against her shoulder. Faith kissed Buffy on the top of her head and stood up as she gave her another hug. "It'll be okay, B. I'll see you tomorrow." With that she left the house and Buffy just sat there in silence. Spike looked at her and saw another tear fall down her face. He touched her face and wiped it away.

"You can talk to me about anything, Buffy. You know I'm always here for you." He told her.

"I know," she replied in a soft voice.

"You want to tell me what happened tonight?" Buffy was quiet for a few minutes and Spike thought that she wouldn't say anything again, then she took a deep breath.

"We were just talking and he wanted to go outside because it was quieter. He seemed mad at me; I don't even know what I did. I remember him slamming me hard against the wall and then he...hit me. It was all my fault." Buffy said as she looked down. Spike tried to keep the anger out of his voice as he answered her.

"How was this your fault?" Buffy sighed.

"I know how he gets; I shouldn't have made him mad." Spike held Buffy by the shoulders and turned her so she would look at him.

"This was not your fault. You didn't do anything wrong and I don't want you to think that. He's the one with the problem; he had no right to put his hands on you in any way." Spike told her hoping that she would understand. "How long has this been going on?" He asked her and she decided to just tell him.

"About four months now. He wasn't always like this, he was really sweet when we first started going out. He just has a lot to deal with and it gets stressful." Spike sighed.

"That's no excuse for his behavior, Buffy. How come you didn't tell anyone about this?" Buffy looked back down.

"I couldn't do that. I kept trying to convince myself that he would change and that he really did love me, I didn't want to get anyone else involved." She said as she looked back up at him.

"He doesn't love you. Someone that loved you couldn't hurt you like this." Spike said as he gently touched the bruise on her face.

"It was an accident. I know he loves me." Spike sighed, he wasn't really getting anywhere with her.

"This was not an accident and you know it. One time may be an accident, but more than once is on purpose. You have to see what he's doing to you, Buffy. You have to end things before they go even further." Buffy got upset and stood up.

"I can't do that, he needs me. I know he can change and I know that he loves me. He was just upset tonight. He would never do anything really bad to me." Spike stood up also.

"Do you love him?" He suddenly asked her.

"How is that any of your business?" Spike shrugged.

"It's a simple question, you either love him or you don't." Buffy glared at him.

"Well, it's a question that I don't have to answer." Spike took a deep breath to try and stay calm.

"I think I want to have a little talk with him myself." He told her.

"No, I can handle it. I'm not a little kid anymore, Spike. I can take care of myself. Just stay out of it." Buffy said as she ran upstairs. Spike stared after her; he couldn't believe that she would protect him after what he did to her. He knew that he loved her more than anything and that he always had. There was no way he was staying out of it.