Chapter 5

When they got back to the house, Spike headed straight to the living room and sat on the couch. Buffy was still outside saying goodnight to Parker. He knew there was probably more snogging involved, but he would rather not watch it this time. Buffy came inside a few minutes later. "So, I think my friends liked you. What did you think of them?" Spike shrugged.

"They're alright, I like that Anya bird. She knows how to speak her mind, not many girls are like that." Buffy smiled and sat down next to him.

"Yeah, she's definitely one of a kind." Spike nodded and looked at her.

"You okay, pet?" Buffy nodded also.

"Yeah, just a little tired." She said as she rested her head on his shoulder. He took a deep breath and decided to keep making conversation.

"So, how's nibblet? I haven't seen her yet." He said.

"She's good, at a friend's house right now. You'll see her tomorrow. My mom should be home soon." Spike nodded and looked at her with her head still on his shoulder.

"So, do you really like that bloke?" With that she raised her head and looked at him.

"Who, Parker?" Spike nodded. "Yeah, he's good and he seems to actually like me so that's a plus." Spike couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"What, like no guy has ever liked you before." He told her.

"Well, they haven't. He's the first one that actually asked me out, guys never seemed to notice me before." Spike still couldn't believe it.

"Are you serious?" Buffy nodded.

"I mean guys have looked at me before so obviously they noticed me, it's just that they never asked me out so I figured I was imagining it." Spike gave her a faint smile.

"Maybe they were afraid to." Buffy looked at him.

"What do you mean?" Spike took a breath.

"Maybe there have been blokes that really liked you, but were too shy and nervous to tell you how they felt." Buffy thought about it.

"Why? It's just me." Spike smiled at her.

"You would be surprised to see how much guys get shy around a pretty girl." Spike said as he looked down. Buffy looked at him not sure what to say. They sat in silence until they heard the front door open. Joyce walked in and Spike stood up. "Hello, Joyce." He said and she looked at him.

"William, I didn't know you were here already." She said as she hugged him. She pulled away and got a good look at him. "There's something different about you." She said as Buffy stood up also.

"There's quite a few. Just to pick one, he goes by Spike now. Which I still don't get." Buffy said and Spike smiled.

"I'll tell you some other time." He said as he winked at her. Joyce didn't notice.

"Well, I think you look more grown up. How's your father?" She asked him.

"Stuffy as always, he says hello." Joyce smiled.

"Well, tell him he can visit anytime. I know Buffy would love to see him again." Spike nodded. "I don't know about you two, but I'm exhausted. I think I'll head to bed now. Goodnight." She said as she went upstairs. They both said goodnight to her as she left. Buffy looked back at Spike.

"I think I'll head up, too. You gonna be okay down here? I know the couch isn't great, but it's all we have." Spike nodded.

"It's fine, love. I can pretty much sleep anywhere." Buffy nodded and was about to go upstairs when Spike stopped her. "Buffy, I want you to be careful. With Parker I mean. There's just something about him that I don't like." Buffy sighed and turned back to him.

"What is with you guys, I can take care of myself you know. I already have two bodyguards; I don't need to add to that list." Spike didn't know what she meant by that so she decided to elaborate for him. "I'm talking about Angel and Riley, they're brothers and have made it a habit to be my bodyguards, they don't seem to like him either. I know you guys just want what is best for me, but I can make my own decisions and I really like Parker." Spike looked at her; there was something about the way she said that last part. She didn't seem like she meant it, infact she seemed scared or something, but he couldn't figure it out. He just shrugged it off and nodded.

"I know you can. I just can't help being protective of you. It's my job." Buffy smiled at him.

"I know, it's good to see that you're still like that." Spike nodded.

"Always, I'm not going anywhere. Not this time." Buffy hugged him and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Good to know." She said as she went upstairs. Spike just watched her go and touched his cheek where she kissed him.