Chapter 28: ‘Mothers, Daughters, DeSotos and Ice’


A/N: Okay, uh a really stupid title, I know it, but there it is! Anyway, I hope people are still reading this story. Thanks if you are and please review if you can, luv, Spuf.


Buffy lay alone in her’s and Angel’s bed, thankfully, while her husband worked downstairs in his study. He was leaving tomorrow for LA, and apparently, he had some homework to do for the office before he left. Just a few moments earlier, he had come up the stairs to check on her, only to find her feigning sleep.

She really was trying to sleep, but a lot of crap just kept playing out in her overworked mind. ‘I wonder,’ she thought to herself, ‘if Angel has a woman, or women in LA, too?’

Not that it should matter anymore, Buffy’s adultry was right up there with Angel’s by now, she was sure of that. With a sigh, she turned to adjust the alarm clock by his side of the bed and noticed the green light of his private phone, ‘Angel is talking to someone,’ she reasoned, just as she reached for his phone, ‘I wonder who?’

“I know Dad,” she heard her husband’s voice on the line, “but Buffy isn’t Mom and probably never will be. I’m just surprised that she hasn’t rebelled against me before now, stubborn little brat that she is.”

Frank Traver’s baritone voice boomed in response, “well knock her up and keep her busy at home. A couple of kids and she’ll be begging for a Nanny in no time, just so she can go to the gym three times a week or get her hair done. I’m telling you son, get her pregnant, she’ll fall back in line.”

Buffy heard her husband’s sigh of frustration, “yeah, well I’ll think about it Dad,” then changing the subject, “How’s Dawnie?”

She returned the receiver of Angel’s phone very carefully, although it was difficult, trying to see through the red film of anger and humiliation she was experiencing.

“That stupid prick!” she hissed, “the both of them! Daddy tells Angel to ‘knock me up’ and he’ll think about it! As if I don’t get a say, or it takes Daddy dearest to encourage him! Jeez!” When Angel came to bed, well past midnight, Buffy again pretended to be asleep and he didn’t even try to wake her.

Monday morning came bright and early and Buffy woke up to find herself alone, again in her bed. She heard the shower going in the master bathroom and glanced at the alarm clock on the end table. ‘7:00 AM’ she thought, ‘good I hope he leaves as soon as possible!’

Angel, finished with his shower, sauntered back into their bedroom, a towel wrapped around his waist.

“Morning,” he grunted at her as he pawed through his closet for some clothes.

“Morning,” she responded, really trying to sound chipper and all but only managing to sound somewhat indifferent.

Suddenly, her husband, who was famous for the ultimate ‘brood’ look, the one he was wearing right now, dropped the towel from around his waist and literally leapt from his position by the closet into their bed, laughing like a kid.

“Come on baby,” he chortled, landing in a heap on top of her, “give Daddy some Buffy lovin’”

Buffy was stunned, past stunned actually, Angel hadn’t done something like this in ages, lately he’d been so damn broody and well, dull and certainly distant.

“I, I’m, I don’t, I…..” she stammered, not quite sure just ‘how’ to react to ‘fun, interested Angel’ again. So, she just gave in and lay there while her husband claimed his marital rights. Oh sure, she sighed and moaned at the right times, even threw in a couple of ‘oh mys’ when she thought it was timely, but in her heart, Buffy couldn’t help but feel miserable, she felt that she was cheating on Will.

Angel went off to LA, a real smile on his face and Buffy took a long hot bath, sobbing the whole time, thinking of Will. When she finally finished her soak, she wrapped herself up in a silky pink robe and lay back down on the bed.

It took a whole five minutes before she dialed Will’s number, taking a deep breath, she prayed he’d answer the phone.

“Buffy?” he greeted on the second ring. ‘Will must have gotten Cell ID,’ she surmised.

“Yeah, it’s me, ” she whispered. “What’s wrong, Princess?” he asked with concern. “Nothin’, not really, just wanted to talk to you. Is that okay, Will?” she asked meekly.

“Course it is, luv, but are you sure you’re okay?” She nodded, another stupid move, the man couldn’t ‘see’ her through the phone for God’s sake!

“I have to work tonight, you know?” she said, stating the obvious, but not sure of what else to say, she just needed to hear his strong, masculine voice.

“I know, Princess, I wish I could see you,” his tone was so wistful that it near broke Buffy’s heart.

“You can!” she blurted suddenly.

“Angel left for LA, just a little while ago. I’m alone for almost a week, except for work of course. Do you want to see me this week, Will?" she asked, ashamed that her tone sounded more like a whimper then a request.

“Of course I do, sweetheart,” he responded, “any time I can. You come over any time you want, I’ll be here…waiting for you.”

Buffy felt a sense of exhileration, mixed with a tinge of sympathy; ‘he loves me,’ she thoughtly sadly, ‘he loves me and is willing to just wait around for me.’ For a moment, Buffy felt like the total bitch she probably really was.

“I’d like that, Will,” she murmered, “I like being with you. You believe that, don’t you?”

He said yes and she suddenly felt ten times better then just a few minutes ago, “thank you Will,” she whispered. “I’ll call you, if that’s okay, right after I get off work tonight.”

The sound of expectant silence echoed over the line and Buffy waited for Will to answer her. “Buffy?” he began quietly, “will you spend the night with me?” She didn’t even have to think about that one, “yes,” she answered warmly.

Buffy got ready for work that Monday, humming to herself and thinking about spending some safe quality time with William. Just before she left for the Gallery, she dialed her mother in Santa Barbara on her own cell phone.

“Mom?” she greeted when Joyce Summers picked up, “hi honey,” her mother answered happily.

“Hi Mom,” she responded, trying not to sound suspicious, but failing as usual.

“Is everything alright , honey?” her Mother asked, sounding worried.

“Mom, I need a favor from you,” Buffy said carefully, “a big one.” Joyce assured her that she would do anything for her only daughter.

“I need you to tell Angel, if he calls, that I am definitely there, or getting up there to your place or around there in some way. Will you do that, Mom?”

Joyce didn’t say anything for a few moments then she finally answered her daughter, “yes, I will, Buffy. And I won’t ask questions, for now anyway, but I want you to come up here, for real, soon, and tell me just what the hell is going on and why. I’m going to go with, for right now, that Angel is being a complete idiot about something and you need time to yourself, but I’m warning you Buffy, if this is something else, I want answers, and soon!”

Spike strode into ‘Clem’s Bar’ a man with a mission. He searched the bar for Clem himself and found him behind it, dutifully wiping out glasses and mugs, stacking them up evenly against the wall.

“Hey Spike,” the short dark man called out to him.

“How about a drink, mate?” Spike asked, ignoring the clock above the mirror that glared the still early morning hour at him.

“You drink too much, friend,” Clem stated, pouring a whiskey for him anyway.

“Less then before,” Spike shot back with a smirk and downed the shot of alcohol.

“Less then before what? Or should I ask, before who, Spike?” Clem grinned at him.

“Her, Buffy,” is all Spike could reply to his friend. “Is everything getting started,” Spike asked, a wicked grin spread on his own face.

“Oh yeah, it’s getting started,” Clem chuckled, pouring his business partner another shot. “I’ve got just the right amount of information, for now, on Angel Travers going out to the right sources, right where it’ll do the most good.”

Spike nodded, contently, then sipped this shot, slowly, “you know, mate,” he chuckled, “I can’t wait to see the look on Angel Traver’s face when he realizes he’s goin’ to ‘hell’ and just who helped send him there!”

Clem smiled at his best friend, “yeah, that’ll be priceless.” He finished with his own wicked grin.

Spike made some phone calls, just before Buffy was supposed to meet him at the park that Monday night. He had made plans for the both of them for that night, the next day and night, then she’d have to go back to the Gallery on Wednesday. With the ‘poof’ out of town, Spike was going to take full advantage of his time with Buffy. His cell phone rang, shrilly, it was his Buffy.

“I’m on my way to the park, Will,” she mumbled, shyly, “will you meet me?” As if she had to ask.

“Course I’ll be there, waiting for you, luv,” he answered, “uhm, did you bring some extra clothes with you?” She did.

“Good, cos’ we’re going out of town tomorrow, someplace you’ll like, promise.” Buffy was silent for a moment then she whispered, “I’d like that, Will, thanks.”

When they got back to Spike’s apartment, he wasted no time in pulling Buffy flush against him and kissing her senseless. It helped that she didn’t put up a fight, not that she had of late, but her eager responsiveness was even more of a turn on to him.

“Buffy,” he gasped as he carried her into his bedroom and laid her back onto the bed, tumbling on top of her.

“Will, I’ve missed you,” she cried out as he assaulted her mouth and neck with his lips.

“Missed you,” he echoed her sentiments, pulling her clothes from her body as he continued his kissing assault down her neck onto ther chest and now bare breasts.

“Oh God,” she hissed as he licked and sucked her nipples, hungrily.

He started to say, with a smirk, “I don’t think God has much to do with ‘this’ Princess,” but then thought better of it. ‘God has to have ‘everything’ to do with this,’ he mused, ‘this is as close to Heaven as I’ll ever surely get.’

“I have to taste you,” he rasped, running his mouth down past her breasts to her tummy, then lower to her still covered target he was searching for.

Buffy giggled wildly, “if you want a taste, you’ll have to take my pants off youself!”

He halted his kissing and looked up at her with a half smile, “is that a dare, Princess?” he asked, delighted.

“Yup!” she laughed happily, “it’s a dare, Will!”

Will began to run his lips wildly across her bare tummy and tried to tug the zipper of her pants down to gain access to his ultimate destination.

“Stop!” she shrieked, laughing loudly, “that tickles!”

He pursued his prey with relentness abandon until she was giggling so much that she began to cry.

“I’ll stop,” he purred, “if you’ll lay still and let me remove this roadblock,” he pulled lightly at her pants again.

Buffy suddenly stopped laughing, uncontrollably, and just stared at William, with a somber expression. “I’d like to let you remove the roadblock, Will,” she mumbled, looking straight at him, “but I’m scared.”

William returned her somber gaze, “me too,” he admitted softly, “but I think it’s worth it Buffy.”

She ‘thought’ she knew what Will was talking about, but she wasn’t quite sure enough. Instead of pursuing the present conversation, she clasped his head with her hands and pulled him gently up to face her.

“I need you,” she whispered truthfully.

“I love you,” he stated sincerely.

“If you love me,” Buffy moaned into his mouth, “then please, start with the kissing and shagging, already!”

Never one to let her down, Will began to kiss and lick her lips, mouth, chin and neck, going back down to her breasts and sucking them gently.

“Oh Will,” she sighed breathily, “that’s just so wonderful, please don’t stop loving me.”

He paused for a moment, from his ministrations, “as if I could ever stop loving you Princess,” he smiled up at her.

She gazed down into his adoring blue eyes and couldn’t bear it, she had to have his mouth on her lips again and their bodies connected in all ways.

“Come here,” she commanded, pulling his head back up to her, bringing his lovely lips down on hers.

“Be in me,” she whimpered her order, “please,” she begged this time.

He finally got her darn zipper undone and yanked her pants, panties and all down and off of her, then returned his face to hers where he again kissed her relentlessly.

“Is this what you want?” he growled, thrusting up into her.

“Yes,” is all she could manage in response.

When she woke up the next morning, Buffy was totally relaxed and rested. Will was still asleep beside her and again she was reminded of the young man she’d first known years ago in High School.

“All the young dudes,” she giggled, “that’s what you are, right this minute William Giles.”

Her bed partner turned over in his sleep, mumbling something under his breath, “my Buffy,” he whispered, or so it sounded like to her.

“Yes, Will,” she whispered back, so low no human ear could detect it, “I’m afraid to admit it, but I do believe that I ‘am’ yours, here anyway,” she added, placing her hand over her heart. She let him sleep, carefully untangling herself from his arms, then quietly going about her morning routine.

Searching around in the kitchen, Buffy found coffee and proceeded to brew some for the both of them. Soon the pleasant aroma of Folgers filled the apartment and before she knew it, she heard Will call out to her, either still in his sleep or in a panic; Buffy!

“I’m here,” she called back, “I’m coming Will.” When Buffy got into the bedroom, she found William sitting up in bed, his hair a mass of curls and spikes (just like she adored it).

“Where’d you go?” he asked with a pout. “Just to make coffee,” she replied, airily, jumping up onto the bed to join him.

They snuggled together for a while, chatting about nothing in particular, but enjoying their comfortable conversation.

“So,” Buffy finally broached the subject, “just what are we going to do today and where at?”

Will gave her a mischievious grin and winked at her, “I’m not telling you until we’re almost there, but first we’ve got to stop at a storage place I have to ‘get’ something there.”

Buffy was so curious by the time they’d showered, eaten breakfast and headed out to this storage place, on his Harley, that she couldn’t stop talking about it.

“What is it, Will?” she whined at least five times on the road, sounding just like an impatient child, “where are we going?”

He never said a word back, just chuckled from time to time and ignored her pleadings. Finally, they got to a storage place and Will pulled up to a unit, pulled out keys and opened up the garage door. What met Buffy’s eyes both shocked and delighted her.

“No Way!” she shouted, gleefully. “I don’t believe it, Will!”

Sitting in the storage unit, was William’s DeSoto, his very beloved car and one of Buffy’s most pleasant teenage memories.

“I love this car!” she cried out with glee, even clapping her hands together, “are we going to ride in it, Will?”

Her face was both hopeful and flushed with excitement, it tugged at Spike’s usually cynical heart; but then again Buffy always did melt his heart.

“Well, that is the point of being here, luv,” he chuckled, taking her little hand in his. “Come on, I know it’s gonna’run, I come by and start it up once in a while, just to keep it going.”

He led her to the passenger side of the car and opened the door for her, enjoying her obvious joy in the old treasure. When they left the storage yard and headed out on Highway 101, Buffy couldn’t contain herself any longer, she began to ask a million questions a minute.

“Okay, so where are we going; when will we get there?”

Spike smiled at her, but again ignored her questions, that is until they had been driving about thirty minutes, south on the highway.

“We’re almost there, sweetheart,” he winked at her, reaching over to wrap his right arm around her shoulders.

“Where? Oxnard?” she answered her own question, somewhat puzzled.

“You just answered your own question, again, Princess,” he chuckled softly.

Sure enough, they were getting closer and closer to the City of Oxnard, California, famous for well, ‘strawberries.’

“Will,” she stammered, “uhm, I know that you know that I love strawberries and all, but I mean, the Festival isn’t on yet and…..”

Will laughed at her, causing her to sigh first then pout. “Yes,” he responded, still laughing and squeezing her shoulder gently, “I know how much you love strawberries and no, we’re not here for any Fruit Festival. I’ll tell you now why we’re here, but you have to promise that once we get there, you will do what I want you to. Promise, Buffy?”

Buffy looked him over, trying to read his body language and figure out just what this mystery thingy was he wanted her to do. She assumed it didn’t have anything to do with sex, they could have done something like that anywhere, so she took a chance and promised she’d do what he wanted at their destination.

“Okay, Princess, we’re here,” he said pulling into the parking lot of a mammoth domed building. A sign bearing the title of ‘Oxnard Ice Skating Rink’ blared down at her.

“Ice skating?” Buffy gasped in disbelief, “you want to go ice skating?”

William looked her straight in the eye, his own blue eyes gleamed wickedly, “no,” he began, “I want ‘you’ to ice skate for me.”

Buffy still sat, in stunned disbelief, first looking at the rink, then back at Will.

“Will,” she sighed, “I haven’t skated in years, I don’t even know if I still can. Besides, if I skate, you have to!” she commanded.

“No bloody way in hell, Princess!” he yelped.

“What’s a matter, Spikey,” she purred, sarcastically, “afraid you’ll look like a ‘ponce’?”

He shook his head, “no, Buffy,” he insisted, “afraid I’ll fall and break my fuckin’ neck, or some other vital part of my anatomy!”

She burst out into laughter, “so the ‘big bad’ is really a ‘big baby’ right?” she asked, poking him in his ribs.

“I’m not a big baby, Princess,” he responded evenly, “but I’m not a bloody idiot; and I’m certainly not coordinated, not like you. I’d fall and bust up some important appendage, but remember, luv, you promised me, you’d do what ‘I’ wanted and I want you to ice skate for me, today. Right now.”


A/N: This last chapter was supposed to be longer and more enlightening into the Spuffy story. It will be included in the next chapter. The next chapter will give some insight into Spike and Buffy’s relationship, now and in the past and just why things happened the way they did years before this. It’s kind of an angstsy chapter, the beginning of a couple of angstsy chapters actually. Hope you read! Please review. Thanks, Luv, Spuf