Buffy’s Revenge; Chapter 7: ‘Xander’


Buffy had planned everything for Saturday night, down to the second she would seduce her old friend Xander. She had given Maggie and Jenny the entire weekend off with the excuse that they had ‘earned’ it and that with just her alone in the house, they wouldn’t be needed. Xander was to be there for their ‘working dinner’ at around 6:30 PM, but since Buffy was clueless in the kitchen, she had ordered Chinese from the best place in town, Ming Lee’s, and it arrived at exactly 6:15 that Saturday night.

A lovely chilled Chardonnay was in the fridge and Buffy set the dining room table, even using candles for atmosphere. Of course, she wouldn’t have done all of this if Maggie or Jenny were around, or if Angel had any idea that the servants weren’t there. With no one around to tell, there would be no one that would know. Except, poor, clueless Xander.

Promtly at 6:30 PM, Xander rang her doorbell. Buffy let him ring three times before she answered, in her tightest black jeans and scimpiest pink halter top. She had a very expensive pedicure done just that morning at Lorne's and decided not to wear any shoes, very informal, except for the smokey makeup she’d chosen. When Xander saw her he almost dropped his brief case, full of papers she needed to go over with him and sign for Angel.

“Buff!” he squeaked, hoarsely, “you look, well, great!” With a little girl giggle, Buffy showed him into the house and right to the dining room; she knew Xander and food was the upmost thing on his mind. That and sex, but apparently he hadn’t been getting any for a while, things being as they were. However, Buffy was determined to fix that, tonight!

“Sorry Angel couldn’t be here, Xand,” she purred as she poured the wine and let her arm brush his.

Xander flinched nervously, but succeeded in not blushing for once, “that’s okay Buff,” he answered with that boyish grin of his, “you know Angel and me, we’re not best buddies anyway. It’s better if it’s just you, me and the help!”

Buffy sat down in the chair next to him and sipped her wine slowly as she peered evenly at the darkly handsome man, “oh, Maggie and Jenny are off for the weekend. That’s why it’s Chinese, you know I can’t cook worth a damn! I’m afraid it’s just you and me! So,” she added with a wink and sly smile, waving at the Chinese set out elegantly on her oak table, “this is all I have to offer!”

This time Xander flinched and rewarded her with a very red blush. Before he could answere, Buffy picked up her fork and pointed at his plate, “so eat!” she commanded with another grin as she began on her own food.

After their dinner, Buffy cleared the table as Xander laid out the contracts and other papers they needed to review on her coffee table in the posh living room. Actually, Buffy was surprised that Angel had even ‘allowed’ her to be a part of the new wing at their old High School. Angel had always said ‘Buffy was more for show then for brains in his life’ and it was only now that she realized just how much he meant that.

It had become painfully clear to her, especially in the past couple of weeks, just how much of a ‘trophy wife’ she really was to Angel and his family.

“Oh, well,” she sighed to herself as she carried the fresh glasses of desert wine into Xander, “at least I have this chance to pay back hubby and that Chase bitch!”

When she sat, as close as possible to Xander without actually sitting on his lap, she noticed how hard he swallowed and how his hand slightly shook as he grabbed one of the contracts.

“Okay, Buffy,” he began shakily, not looking at her, “uhm, this is the first contract, I’m sure everything is in order, so we’ll just go over it and…” but Buffy clasped his large hand and guided the paper back down to the table.

“Oh for heaven’s sake, Xander,” she sighed in mock exasperation, “like you said, everything is in order! We’re old friends, all of us. Let’s have some Muscat wine and talk; forget the damn paper thingy magigies!”

Xander looked confused momentarily, but did as he was told and took a large drink from the blue crystal wine glass in front of him. He kept his eye contact with Buffy at a minimum, and the two sat in silence for a few minutes. “So,” Buffy began tentively, “what’s going on with you and Willow?” she finished strongly, stared deep into his chocolate brown eyes. “Wow!” she thought to herself, “Xander has gorgeous eyes!”

How come she’d never really noticed before? Now the poor guy’s face turned bright red and his expression went from nervous to sad in nano seconds, causing Buffy to regret mentioning Wills at all.

“You can talk to me, Xand,” she said softly as she touched his arm gently, “I’m your friend, always.”

“I know that, Buff,” he whispered, his strong voice now husky with emotion, “but your Will’s friend too and I don’t want to cause problems for either of you.” He looked like a lost little boy and Buffy suddenly had second thoughts about the whole seduction thing.

“I can’t do it,” she told her herself, “I can’t use him like this. He’s been through too much!” Xander looked at her and broke his silence, “when I left Anya, and went to Willow,” his voice was tinged with regret, “I blew it big time, Buffy.”

Shaking his head he began to sip the wine and really talk. “I loved Anya, in my way and I always knew that Willow was well ‘not quite sure’ of herself as far as her sexuality went

He stood up and began to pace up and down in front of the coffee table, across the expensive Persian Rug that covered the plush carpet of the room.

If Buffy had, had second thoughts about seducing Xander, the mere mention of Anya’s name snapped her out of it!

“That bitch knew all along about Angel and Cordy!” she vehemently assured herself as she watched Xander walk back and forth, back and forth. “Anya’s probably involved with them, the skank!” It was not Buffy’s fault that Xander left Anya for Willow; but it was apparent that Anya thought she was somehow to blame.”

She also did not fault Willow for loving Tara. Willow loved who she loved, gender didn’t enter into it. Besides, it didn’t give Anya the right to decieve her, Buffy, with Cordelia and Angel.

“She probably encourages them,” Buffy hissed silently, “hell, she probably watches them!”

“Come here,” Buffy patted the place next to her on the couch, invitingly, “you need to really sit down and talk about this, hon.” Xander took up her invitation and sat closely next to her on the silky couch, the contracts completely forgotten.

“You know,” Buffy began cautiously, her voice soft and sweet, “Willow will come back to you, I’m sure of it.”

Xander gave that quick grin of his, “I’m not so sure, Buffy,” he stammered, unconvinced by her encouragement. “You’ve seen her with Tara, right? They’re pretty tight and well, I’m not exactly the greatest catch in Sunnydale, now am I?”

His beautiful brown eyes were misted over and his expression was so defeated as he looked into her hazel eyes so hopefully.

Buffy reached out and clasped him to her in a warmly plutonic hug and whispered in his ear, “you’re a great catch, Xander. A decent guy with a lot to offer the right woman. I know ‘I’d’ come back to you if ‘I’ were Willow,” she added sincerely.

Xander hugged her back, heartily, but gave a sardonic chuckle, “yeah,” he sighed against her neck, “if I was such a great catch; how come you never gave ‘me’ the time of day when we were younger?”

Buffy pulled back, somewhat stunned and at a momentary loss for words.

“Well,” she began slowly, but gained momentum in her explaination, “when we were young, ‘I’ was stupid and naïve.”

This sounded like a good start to her and she caught his eyes with her own, forcing him to look straight at her.

“I didn’t really ‘know’ what I wanted or what was good for me back then,” she continued with more confidence then she felt. “I guess I just didn’t know a what a great guy ‘was’ back then. A guy like you.”

She threw in a quick shrug of her shoulders, a pretty pout and a shake of her blond head.

Xander sat for a moment, his eyes level with hers and she knew he was looking for the truth and sincerity in her words.

“Oh,” is all he said quietly as he picked up his wine glass, sipped it slowly and seemed to ponder something. Buffy could only guess what it was, or at least she hoped it was what he was musing over.

“Maybe we better sign these silly things,” she spoke quickly, “get them out of the way, you know?” As she signed the first paper, an idea struck her.

“Remember when you and I snuck out of 7th period High School English and snuck wine coolers at the park?” Now Xander grinned from ear to ear.

“Yeah,” he chuckled happily, “you and Parker were arguing and we ditched to get drunk and talk about our love problems…I remember!”

Buffy’s eyes lit up with the memory, as did Xanders and they just sat and laughed for a couple of minutes.

“It got late, way after dark and I got so drunk that you had to drive me home in that old Lincoln you fixed up and, remember?” Xander must have remembered because he began to laugh so loud he almost choked.

“I carried you up your family’s old oak tree and snuck you into your bedroom, hoping you wouldn’t barf all over me!”

That stopped her laughing, “gross!” she snipped but began to giggle all over again. After a few minutes of reminiscing, they both just suddenly stopped laughing, just sat looking at each other silently.

Apparently they had remembered, at the same time, just what ‘almost’ happened that evening back in High School. When Xander and Buffy realized that Joyce Summers was gone, things began to get out of hand. Xander, his courage fueled by the wine coolers began to touch and kiss Buffy, passively, yes, but sensually. Buffy, her inhibitions loosened by the alcohol and her anger at her errant boyfriend, Parker,

returned Xander’s affections.

Before things got really out of hand, the phone rang, it was Joyce. Hearing her mother’s voice on the other end of the line somehow broke the whole ‘romantic spell’ right then and Buffy pushed Xander away from her abruptly. When Buffy hung up the phone from her mother, she looked to find Xander climbing out of her window, his stare never leaving her. All she could think to do at the time was wave goodbye, half-heartedly, say thanks and pass out, alone, in her bed.

In all the years since then, Buffy and Xander had never spoken of it to each other, or anyone else.

Xander looked away from Buffy, embarrassed, “let’s get these papers signed, huh Buff?” he asked quietly.

“Sure,” she replied, her voice barely audible. They both reached for the ballpoint at the same time and before either of them knew what was happening, they were kissing.

Buffy felt herself being pulled into Xander’s warm comfy lap and as her lips were being assaulted.

“Dang!” she gasped in shocked surprise, “who would have guessed that Xander Harris kissed so good!?” After that, she chose not to think at all.

It was well after 1:00 AM when Buffy finally sent Xander home. She pretended to be very tired until he got the hint, got dressed and quietly slipped out of her front door. Buffy couldn’t be sure, but she thought she heard him whistling softly as he left. When she was sure she had heard his Mustang pull out of the driveway, she exhaled in relief. The clock on the end table showed well past 3:00 AM before she could finally sleep.

“I shouldn’t have done it,” she sighed with a hint of remorse, “Xander should have been off limits. He’s too fragile, too sweet and loyal.”

Then, she remembered Cordelia and Angel, against her desk, oblivious to her presence.

“Bet Angel never fucked anyone else but me in our bed!” she hissed, her mouth hard and determined.

“Xander and I did it twice and I wish that prick of a husband of mine could know!” The first rays of sunrise filtered through her bedroom windows before she could finally sleep.


A/N: Grrrarrhgg! Sorry, this chapter makes my skin crawl. However, don’t get too comfy with Bander, it ain’t going to last. Thanks for reading, please review and please be kind? Thanks, Luv, Spuf

















|