She heard a soft gurgling noise in the distance and felt the heaviness on her thigh. The noise so far didn’t appear urgent, but looking down she found herself completely naked with a clothed vampire using her inner thigh as his pillow. His left palm rested just above the thatch of pubic hair and Buffy stopped breathing. Shock held her still as she felt the cool breath blow across her pussy lips, frantically trying to stifle a groan.

It was late and the noise from downstairs was getting louder and more demanding. Buffy felt her skin prickle as she tried to think of what to do, finally resting on the knowledge that she didn’t have a clue. But Spike would. That conclusion brought an impressed sigh to her lips. He just kept on surprising her.

She shook her leg gently, hoping to wake him up but instead accidentally nudged him further up her thigh. She froze, feeling his cold exhalation part the hairs around her pussy-lips. Her next try, she sat up. Instead of being able to stir him, he just curled his arm around her hip and snuggled in deeper.

“Oh God,” Buffy whimpered, not knowing how or what to think at this stage of the night when she had already shared four mind-blowing encounters with Spike. Spent time with a vampire she was finding it rather difficult to recognise. But right now, there was a baby who seemed to be not so of the happy to be left alone downstairs.

“Spike?” Buffy leaned down and stroked his hair away from his face, revealing the very masculine turn of his chin and nose even as the concave slant of his cheekbones made him beautiful. His lips were divine and Buffy felt herself easily becoming lost in the hope that she hadn’t felt the last of those lips. And wasn’t she brave for sitting up and staring at him while she was nude? She felt the telltale flush creep up her neck and quickly looked around for something to cover herself with.

All she could grab as he started to move was Giles’s pillow. Jamming it over her breasts as Spike propped open one crystalline blue eye, she nearly hyperventilated at the look of pure predator that was set on his face. He turned back into her thigh and lightly bit her with blunt teeth, making heat shoot through her body at high speed. His tongue stroked wet leisurely circles over her skin and Buffy felt a whimper rise in her throat.

“Lia,” she got out desperately, before she fell back under the influence of his tongue and teeth. He teased and touched until she was shaking silently in frustrated desire. Balled fists ensured she didn’t grab his head and jam his face in the spot she most wanted to feel him, but when she heard the cry downstairs getting louder and more urgent, her hands did find the place but instead pulled him away from her. It took a mammoth strength of will to let him go.

He didn’t argue with her, pulling his body in a fluid move to standing, bending back to her in the last to bestow a firm, promising kiss.

“You’re gonna have to learn this stuff, too, Pet. I’ll fix ‘er and bring her up.” His eyes fell on the half-put together cot and grinned. Guess the little one will have to bunk down with us tonight.

Buffy’s eyes widened in panic. “Isn’t that, like, seriously dangerous or something?”

“We’ll be alert. Everything’ll be fine. You tuck yourself in an’ I’ll go feed the cherub.” He kissed her lingeringly again before leaving, Buffy looking a little disappointed at his clothed form.

Tiredness suddenly seized her and she struggled with the bed sheets till she had crawled underneath, the fabric cool against her skin, her flushed cheeks sighing into the pillow. She closed her eyes and fell into sleep.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

He couldn’t help but think this nursing thing was kind of neat. He liked the moments he sat alone, the warm bundle of squirming girl in his arms, watching him through alert eyes as she sucked sustenance into her mouth. Dru had always loved babies; the blood was newer and fresher and redder. Sometimes the fear from an adult made her tummy rumble unhappily, made her hide within herself till the pain finally seeped from her into someone else. But babies were so innocent, so sweet and lovely, and Dru loved to tear them apart.

The thought of what Dru could do to Lia made Spike feel truly afraid for the first time since he’d been turned. This baby was his—his and Buffy’s, even if the Slayer had yet to work that out. The watcher had no claim, had been lied to for what reason Spike had no clue. But whatever the truth was, this gorgeous little love had been abandoned into his and Buffy’s care and that was where Spike would make sure she stayed.

Spike held his breath as he changed her nappy, resting her in her carrier while he took out some rugs and took them with the old-fashioned looking pram up the stairs. He set it up on Buffy’s side then disappeared to reclaim the baby, bringing her up to rest in a space other than the one she’d been in for the past twenty-four hours.

He wrapped her tight and tucked her in, losing himself affectionately in the plumpness of her face even while he said a silent prayer to anything that would listen that the little one would stay asleep for the rest of the night. Checking that Buffy was asleep, he bent and pressed a gentle kiss to the baby’s head and then got ready for bed.

He stood at the side of the bed and looked at her. Eyed her bare shoulders above the coverings and felt himself react in the way he had all day. He’d always thought the chit was pretty, in an overly strong and opinionated way. Now he saw her beauty, could feel the tantalising power that seemed to hum and pulse around her figure. He could smell her flesh under the sheet, could feel the weight of her breasts in his hands and suddenly craved nothing in his life but to hold her. The hunt wasn’t what he needed right now, but the catch seemed gloriously rewarding.

The best tactic was of course to prepare for bed in his usual way. He shucked his jeans to the floor, followed by his clinging black tee and smoothly slid in beside her. Her heat seemed to beg him to come closer, to wrap his cool body around her and sooth the fire, calm its escape till it transferred the power to him.

It was indescribable. The feel of her silken back against his chest, his hardened cock slotting into the curve of her bum and his hands resting on the more muscular shape of her belly. He couldn’t resist the temptation of trailing a fingertip into her bellybutton, his face seeking the tickle of her hair. Then the irresistible call of her rounded breasts took over his impulse and he was cupping one in his hand, his breath fanning strands of hair as he felt like he wanted to pant. It was so much, this feeling that was welling up inside him merely from a stroke of her skin.

Her erect nipple poked into his palm and he felt his body shudder. The anticipation made him tingle, a sensation that had been absent from his repertoire of feeling since he’d turned to the dark. It was welcome, and strangely something he felt an urgency to surrender himself to. Something he wanted to lay back and experience, willing to allow the Slayer to creep into his heart despite the danger that may leave him open to.

She moved back into him, her upper body craning forward a little so that his loose handful became very secure around her breast. Spike bent his head and breathed in the scent of fresh Slayer at her neck. His lips found the small raised pinpricks of his mark and latched hold, sucking softly. When he’d done this to Dru it meant a connection to his Sire, though so much weaker than this. So much more one-dimensional than this—this heat and need and belonging that scorched him from the point of her neck.

It made blood rush to his cock, achingly hard as he pushed against her, sliding down and up until he slid between her legs. In sleep her hand reached back to smooth over his hip, her legs parting so that he could reach her and touch her. The chit was driving him bloody wild.

She moaned and started moving against him, waking slightly and rolling over. Her eyes were sleepy as she looked into his tense face, and frowned as she raised a finger to smooth the line between his brows. She hooked her leg over his hip and moved down on him, letting herself slip over the swollen head that pushed against her ready lips.

“Spike,” she breathed, her body awake but her mind obviously reacting on sensation alone. And then she was kissing him as her body took him inside, sliding all the way down on him as her hips controlled their movement.

Spike was still, tasting her lips and kissing her slowly, sensually as he lost himself to her gentle rhythm. It felt different, this joining. Different to the world of sex he had known for the past century as a vamp. Dru had never kissed him like this, had never given in to him like this.

His hand stroked her back, holding her tight over him as she continued to roll her hips against him, torturing him with the beauty of her pace. It was intimacy on a heartbreaking level, and as he took in the events of the night, took in the little girl sleeping in her pram, the woman who was loving his cock, the woman he was changing himself irrevocably for.

He knew the moment she woke up fully, her heart beating a little more erratically, a slowing of her hip’s movements and the lessening pressure of her lips. Startled green eyes met his apprehensive ones. Now he was feeling this he was terrified she was going to rip it away from him. Afraid she would walk out on him and the baby—acting like there was no right for them to be together. And while his demon struggled with this new path, he didn’t want her to move. Didn’t want her to go, to walk away and leave him back in the dejected and lonely path he’d been on after Dru dumped him.

He’d come looking for her.

Why hadn’t he been able to admit it? The fascination for this slayer? He’d fought more than two in his time—not that he would ever admit his defeat. He’d been lucky to run away from bad set-ups before, could admit defeat when he was too weak or she was too lucky. But Buffy—he could never walk away from her. Kept coming back to taunt her and himself with what he could never have. Her fire lit something deep inside that he’d kept hidden for too long. Brought something back that William had held safe for him for all this time.

“I thought this was a dream,” she whispered against his lips and then her hips were moving again. Her lips claiming him again, her hands holding him and touching him and loving him.

His hands shook as he held her, allowing his lips to surrender to her even as he struggled to keep some part of his heart to himself. Despite the lack of effort it took for her to slide centimetres along his cock, he could feel the build-up even more powerfully than some of his hottest times. He was touched, in too many places to hold it back, and even as he felt her muscles grip him hard, even as she pumped him a little faster, he felt the spill.

“It is a dream,” he breathed into her panting mouth. “The very best kind.”

She watched him with wide eyes, watery in their question to him.

“It’s the kind of dream that comes true.” And he kissed her again, sweeping his tongue along her lower lip and felt himself warm even more as she moaned.

Pulling away, she smiled dreamily at him and leaned back in to kiss his chin. “Funny how something that was once your worst nightmare can suddenly seem much less frightening.”

“Oi!” he exclaimed, affronted by her implication that he was less of the big bad. Then his eyes fell on the still sleeping baby, and swept back to Buffy. “Yeah,” he grinned before snuggling into her and attempting to hold her back to sleep.

Suddenly a world without Dru and violence and mayhem seemed a bit of alright. Now he just had to make sure he kept it that way.

A/N...Great God! Thank yous go to: bloodshedbaby, Allison, demonica mills, Mari, s.p.hudson, Frachesca, Brunettepet, dreamgirl4eva, Esther, Isabel, Crystal Pegasus, zanthine, Kimber, Reciprocity, Cordykitten, and Niamh... I can't say enough how much you guys rock!!