Forever and a Day by Lilachigh

Chp 4 A good heaven



The A3 road south from London was as busy as usual on a wet Friday January evening . Spike braked and cursed violently as an elderly gentleman who probably never drove from weekend till weekend, pulled his little car out in front of theirs at a steady twenty miles an hour. Which was a pity as they were travelling at sixty!

Buffy glanced at her lover and smiled slowly. She was still finding it odd that when she looked for him, he was there. All these months she’d played a little game with herself.

‘I’ll walk round that corner and he’ll be standing in a doorway.’ ‘If I don’t step on any cracks on the way home, he’ll phone me.’ ‘If I let Dawn have that last piece of cake, God will send him back to me.’

Well, she’d often eaten the cake, had stepped on plenty of cracks, but still, there he was, sitting beside her, driving, swearing, thumping the steering wheel in time to an old rock band playing on the radio. So maybe God had been listening, after all.

OK, this was far removed from the place Willow had pulled her out of all those months ago, but it was a pretty good heaven of its own.

‘Don’t think I’m complaining in any way, but it would be nice to get there in one piece!” she commented. ‘Boring, probably, in your eyes, but nice.’

Spike grinned. ‘Are Giles and Willow keeping up with us?”

Buffy swivelled round to peer out of the rear window. There was no sign of Giles’ little red car. ‘Nope! I think you lost them when you decided to break all the speed restrictions as we came past Guildford!”

Spike shrugged. ‘It was the sight of that gold cross on the top of the cathedral, pet. Still vampire, you know. Crosses make me nervous. Bloody hell!”

He stamped on the brakes again then accelerated and rolled down his window to yell at another car as they zoomed past.

Buffy moaned theatrically. The dark night outside filled the car with cold air. There was the smell of snow and frost. Winter still had a tight grip on the land.

Spike pulled the car into the slow lane and reached over to pat her knee. ‘Sorry, pet. Just enjoying myself driving in England for the first time in ages. Got used to you colonials using the wrong side of the road, of course, over the years, but it’s great to get back to the right way of doing it!’

Buffy picked up his hand and kissed it swiftly. Even a silly little gesture like that turned her stomach with happiness. She stared at his palm. There wasn’t a blemish on it and he’d told her in graphic detail all that had happened to his hands since their goodbyes in Sunnydale.

The breath he didn’t need hissed between Spike’s lips as her warm mouth rubbed against his skin. He was having to concentrate now on the road and she giggled as she licked each of his fingers in turn, nibbling at the tips of them.

She listened to the groan that broke from him and bent over to examine the interesting sight of his jeans tightening across his crotch.

‘Don’t you dare!’ he muttered thickly. ‘Keep your seat belt on, Slayer!”

Buffy leant back in her seat and carefully placed his hand over her breast. It closed lovingly for a second, then reluctantly went back to the steering wheel.

“Tease!”

“Coward!”

He glanced across at her, then, at the expression on her face, he swerved the car off the road, onto a parking layby and turned off the engine.

‘What’s the matter, luv? You looked as if you were about to cry.”

She smiled at him. ‘Stupid vamp! I just can’t quite believe we’re together again. It’s like a dream. I keep pinching myself to make sure I’m not asleep.”

Spike switched off the radio, undid both their seat belts and pulled her into his arms. She expected him to kiss her passionately, to possess her ruthlessly, completely, his hands and mouth hard and fast.

But he didn’t. He held her, his face buried in her hair, for a very long time. It had started to snow, gentle flakes that glided down onto the glistening road. The inside of the car was quiet and peaceful, and as Buffy rested her face against the smooth cotton of his T-shirt, she realised that this was what she’d needed more than anything.

Sex between them was magnificent and overwhelming and always would be, but this silent togetherness, holding, being, belonging, was what her soul craved. And from the tension that slowly began to ebb from his body, it was obvious that Spike felt the same way.

After half an hour, they reluctantly drew apart and without a word, drove on.

“Tell me again why we’re heading in this direction,” Spike said at last.

“Willow and Giles worked out some sort of flow chart, or glow chart, or something,” Buffy said. “Whatever they called it, what it really amounts to is a map of Europe with all the sightings from the Elliott diaries marked on it. Apparently that shows that whatever is coming - this plaguey thing - has been travelling in a straight line for centuries. And so it’s due to show itself around the little town of Emsworth in Hampshire. Or along that part of the coast, at least.”

“And we’ll be there to meet it. Sounds like fun, pet. Although quite how you know a plague has arrived, beats me. What’s Red going to do? Have us wave bottles of disinfectant around every time the wind blows? How do you fight something you can’t see?”

“We’ll find a way. We always do. Giles and Willow make quite a team on the thinking front, and hey, you and me together, can you think of anything we can’t defeat?”

Spike grinned. “Well, when you put it like that, Slayer - ”

Buffy was peering at her map. “Hang on, I think we turn off to the right at the next junction,” she interrupted.

Spike glanced down. “Not unless you want us to eventually end up in Cornwall, sweetheart,’ he said dryly. ‘Your map’s upside down!”

“Oh! Well, duh! Yes, I know it is, but that’s how I read maps. I never get lost,” Buffy said loftily. “You ask anyone, Dawn, Xander, Giles, map reading is one thing I’m really, really good at....”

An hour later, Buffy realised with a sinking heart that she was going to have to deal with a very dangerous situation. One that was going to take all her cunning, skill and diplomacy. She knew she might have to revert to blackmail, even offer physical favours to contain the situation. She was confronted by a hungry, angry male and had no sensible solution to the problem.

They were completely and utterly lost!


to be continued