Chapter 7


“Giles, why is HE coming?” Buffy asked frowning. All three of them sat down at the table.

Spike put his feet up on the table, lit a cigarette. Giles wasn’t about to admonish him for it, not with the look on his face.

“I don’t want him here” Buffy said, frowning, twisting a tissue in her hands.
Giles looked puzzled. He’d started to worry a little, this spell he’d done…no, it WAS only temporary…

“Why not? He’ll help us to eliminate Dru’s crowd, and-

“And arouse suspicion at suddenly there’s nearly three dozen less on the guest list- it isn’t a huge party, there’s only about 100 guests get invited, and suddenly –bang- a third of the guest list, gone. No, we know why he’s here, one thing, pure jealousy.

It’s the fact that I’m working with Buffy, and he can’t do it – does he know I’ve had to bite her? Coz believe you me, THAT’S going to go down like the fucking proverbial…and if he doesn’t know from you telling him, he’s gonna smell it…”

Spike swiftly took a drag of his cigarette, blew the smoke out angrily.

“Ah” Giles took his glasses off. A customer came into the shop, so putting his glasses back on; he got up to serve them.

“Don’t let him…” Buffy began. Spike looked at her.

If she was to walk away from him now…Spike leaned forward, ground out his cigarette on a saucer.

Buffy covered one of his hands with one of hers, squeezing gently.

“I won’t let him ruin things…for us, I can’t…” Giles came back.

“Can’t what?” Spike asked, ignoring the fact that Giles had come back. Buffy looked at Giles.

“Will you just watch the shop, I need to go down to the stockroom” Buffy nodded.

Giles turned and went, Buffy stood, looked at Spike.

“Can’t let him try and ruin what we have” She kissed him softly, and then went into the shop.

Spike sat back, closed his eyes, relieved.

After Giles had served the customer, he locked up, pulled the shutter down. Coming over and sitting by Buffy and Spike, Giles said,

“Ok, tell me, you think that Angel has an ulterior motive for coming here?”

“Too bloody right. One, he can’t do it himself because they know of his soul. Two. Even if, and I doubt this very much, but, even if this lot at the warehouse with Dru and Darla didn’t know who he was, they would soon be told.”

“You don’t think that they would be pleased to see him, even if he pretended to be Angelus” Giles asked.
Spike laughed.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Darla is Angelus’ sire, Dru has lived with him for longer than I have, they’d know instantly he wasn’t Angelus…besides which, he tried to kill them about four months ago” Spike said.

Both Buffy and Giles frowned, and sat forward. Giles took off his glasses.

“What? H- how, w-w-where?” Giles asked.

“How, burn them, locked them in a warehouse. Where, in LA, torched it after they’d been on a killing spree.”

“How do you know this?” Giles asked frowning, this was news to him. News to Buffy, too.

“Demon bar, word gets round… ‘The Souled One’ as Angel is known, tried to kill his sire, Darla and her friend in a warehouse after they unsuccessfully tried to revert him into being Angelus again”

“How would they have done that?” Spike, pulled no punches, said to Buffy,

“Well pet, you know the curse, he’d have to be happy…Darla used to be a prostitute before she was turned, and she IS his sire…”

All Buffy said, was ‘oh’.

“I didn’t know this, it does put a different reflection on things” Giles said.

“Yes it does, we don’t need him and his clod-hopping size nines or his little band of vigilantes to try and distract Darla and Dru, their very presence alone will arouse suspicion Look Giles, Buffy is a professional.

She doesn’t need Angel acting all jealous because she’s working closely with me, she doesn’t need putting in any more danger than is necessary, either, and knowing him…all I’m saying is, she’d have enough to contend with, anyway”

“We both will, I don’t need Spike in any extra danger either, he might be my only ticket outta there, I couldn’t fight that many vamps at once” Buffy said. Giles nodded, said nothing.

“Well, I know he couldn’t go to the party, but thought he’d be useful helping to distract or get rid of Darla and Dru”

“No, for reasons mentioned earlier” Spike said

“That’s why Spike has had to claim and thrall you, to mask your soul” Giles said.

Buffy realised, she’d been so fired up for him to do it at the time, she hadn’t even questioned why… She nodded. Smiled, and said,

“Bugger him. Let him come, he can see for himself how professional Spike and I can be, then he can go home happy in the knowledge that we’ll do a good enough job, without his help”

Buffy said brightly. Spike smiled.
(That’s my girl, he’ll be as miserable as sin…shall we really play up?) Spike thralled Buffy, who, on hearing this in her head, was still smiling innocently at Giles, but she ran her toe up Spike’s leg.

Giles looked sceptical, looked from one to the other.

“You think Angel seeing you two all…lovey dovey will make him happy?”

“Giles, I couldn’t give a f-…I’m not really bothered WHAT he thinks, there’s a job to do in all this, and WE are going to do it, without any interference from him” Buffy said firmly. Giles looked at Spike. Who smiled.

“Um, it’s a bit late to try and put him off tonight, now, they’re um, already on their way, in fact, they’ll be here in about fifteen minutes, they’ve come in Gunn’s van.”

“Whoop-de-do!” Buffy sarcastically enthused.

Feeling Puckish, Spike scraped his chair back, patted his lap. Buffy grinning, slid on it, slipping her arm around his neck too. Both grinning, they looked at Giles.

He heaved a sigh, rolled his eyes, and took his glasses off, and pinched the bridge of his nose, his elbow resting on the table.

“He’s going to love this!” Giles said quietly to himself, as he went off to make tea.

“No sugar in mine” Spike shouted, then lightly kissed Buffy. Knowing Giles was in the kitchenette part of the shop and couldn’t see them Buffy kissed Spike quite passionately.

He resisted for all of a second, then instead of pushing her away, he pulled her closer, deepening the kiss.

“I was thinki…oh!” Giles went back into the kitchen.

He was right, there WAS something going on, more than the thrall, more than his bonding spell, an awful lot more, they could hardly keep their hands off each other.

Neither Spike or Buffy had heard or seen Giles, they were too busy wrapped up in themselves.

Spike broke off the kiss, Buffy mewled, wriggled on his lap.

“Babe, please!” Spike stilled her hip with his one hand.

“Can’t help it, I WANT you…I want to make love to you, for hours………”

Mewling, she made him shudder with delight.

She kissed him again. For a second time Giles went to venture out. Gods! They were still at it! He had an idea.

“Buffy, tea?” Giles called. Bringing them both back to the here and now, Buffy shouted ‘yes’.

“I think I better get off your lap” Buffy said, not moving.

“Really want to?”

“No”

“Well then” Spike gave her a little possessive squeeze. Giles came through with the tea, sat opposite them.

“So, are you going to tell me?”

“Tell you what?” Buffy asked

“I have eyes, you two. As in a couple; Not thrall, not acting, coupledom. That, was major kissage, AND you two can hardly take your hands or eyes off each other.” Buffy and Spike grinned.

“Don’t know what’s happened, Giles, neither of us do, but…well, we don’t want it to end.

We’ll not let it interfere with the task in hand, and Spike won’t see me in any danger, as I won’t with Spike, but Angel’s not ruining or trying to ruin things for us, I – We, won’t let him” Buffy said strongly and clearly.
Spike nodded.

“Well, Um, I, er…I’m glad you’ve told me. Now, I wonder if Wesley knows about Angel and this warehouse business”

“I should think that he does, if he’s come to help” Buffy said.

“No, not about where Dru and Darla is now, I meant what Spike told me, trying to burn them.” Giles said, sipping his tea.

“Oh, that, I don’t know, doubt it.” Buffy said, looking at Spike, he shrugged.

Buffy rested her head against Spike’s. Outside they heard three doors slam, and the shop door rattled, then a knock.

Giles got up to answer, Buffy also stood, went to the toilet, when she came back she held her arm out slipped it around Spike’s shoulders, and sat back on his lap.

Wesley was laughing with Giles, who in turn was introduced to Gunn.

“Come through, come through, tea, or coffee?”

The smile left Angel’s face as he came around the bookcase and was confronted by the sight of Buffy sitting on Spike’s lap, their foreheads touching, Buffy giggling.

The other three went quiet when they saw Angel’s face, Buffy and Spike. If looks could have killed…ignoring his Basilisk stare, they didn’t even acknowledge his presence.

“What the Hells going on here?” Angel looked furious

Buffy and Spike had decided to ‘play up’, so, laughing softly, she said to Spike,

“You wouldn’t!”

Spike nodded.

“I Would – try me!” he said sexily; just gazing at her mouth, his tongue tip in the corner of his own.

“Really?” Buffy smiled. Biting her bottom lip, she was getting closer and closer towards Spike’s face, until their foreheads touched...

“Uh huh”

“Ah, you’re sweet!” She caressed his face, gave him several soft little kisses.

“Sweet! Hmm, (kiss) Please, You’ll (kiss) ruin my (kiss) street cred, (kiss) you will!”

Standing in front of them, Angel had his fists clenched.

“Is that Spike, that the vampire?” Gunn asked Wesley, quietly. Wesley nodded dumbly, surprised at their behaviour.

“GET OFF HIM, NOW” Angel shouted

“Windy in here today” Spike said, ignoring Angel.
Angel grabbed Buffy’s wrist.

“Ow!” Buffy disengaged her other arm from around Spike’s neck, and caught Angel a resounding slap, straight across the cheek. Spike put his hands on her hips for her to stand, she stood, so did Spike, grabbing Angel around the throat.

His seat went flying.

“You touch her again, it’ll be the last thing you do” Spike hissed, Gunn pulled a stake; Buffy punched the young black man.

“PEOPLE!” Giles came dashing in.

“You will be civilised!” Giles glared at everyone.

“What the HELL is going on here!” Angel asked, rubbing his throat. Gunn was sitting up on the floor, dazed, slightly open mouthed, moving his jaw from side to side with his hand. Wesley helped him up.

“Who the HELL do you think you are, coming in here, waving stakes around, huh?” Buffy was absolutely furious at Gunn.

“Wow, that was some punch!” Gunn said, still wondering if his jaw was broken.

“Just calm down, everyone” Giles said. It seemed everyone was glaring at everyone else.

“Again, I ask what’s go-“ Angel asked, shaking with anger.

He couldn’t even smell Buffy…Spike’s essence was SO strong on her…they must have been intimate many times over…

“Just shut up, you haven’t got a say over things here. Now, I don’t know why you’ve come but you can just turn around, and toddle right back to whatever stone you crawled from under” Buffy shouted.

She was holding Spike’s hand. He righted the fallen chair, and sat back down. Snatching up Gunn’s stake, Buffy angrily crushed it to matchwood, letting the bits fall through her fingers. Gunn was big eyed, and he pressed his back into the seat, totally scared of her.

“Please, everyone, just sit down” Giles said.

“I want to know what’s…” Angel asked, refusing to sit at first, his hands still curled into tight fists.
Giles put his hand on his shoulder.

“Angel, sit, all will be explained.”