Chapter 9


At 6.10am, Angel came to with an ache in his head, one in his back, and a bad taste in his mouth. He sat up.

“Where the…” He propped himself up on one elbow, and tried to take in his surroundings.

Then the nightmare came flooding back to him, and he groaned, flopping back, cussing and hissing as he cracked his head on the hard stone, he’d forgotten, no pillow.

He covered his eyes with the crook of his arm. Three words just repeated themselves over and over again in his head. ‘Spike and Buffy’ He sat up with an angry roar, and then held his pounding head.


A thought hit him…perhaps…just perhaps…say if they were just pretending, seeing if them looking like a couple could fool him? – that must be it, MUST be…must be, must…lying down, he fell back to sleep.

He was aware of being shaken, someone calling his name.

“Angel…Angel”

“Huh”

“Never mind, huh, wake up” Wesley persisted

“Wha-what, wassa time?”

“Well, it’s nearly three, in the afternoon, Gods, look at the state of you…”

Wesley frowned and tutted at the mud spattered duster, and caked shoes, trousers filthy to the knees, and the blood on his shirt. Quite a lot of blood, in fact. There was dried blood on Angel’s lips too. Wesley frowned, he wondered where the blood came from…hoped to god he hadn’t…his hand curled round his concealed stake just in case…

“Angel…ANGEL!”

“What, ow, fu…what?” he scowled at the source of his irritation, Wesley.

Gunn was having a poke around the crypt.

Angel held his head.

“Here, drink this” Angel could smell coffee; he took the scalding mug off him and put it down on the sarcophagus.

Just then they heard a female voice demand,



“And just WHAT the HELL do you think you’re doing here?”, Buffy marched straight up to Gunn and snatched one of Spike’s books out of his hand, and put it back on the shelf. Nobody had heard her come into the crypt.

“Um, j-j-j-jus’ looking, that’s all” Gunn said

“Well don’t, it’s private, and WHAT, may I ask, are you doing here?” She glared at Angel

“Shh, don’t shout, my bloody head…” Angel winced.

“I, don’t care about your bloody head, again, I ask, in words of the smallest syllables possible, What. Are. You. Doing. Here?”

She emphasised each word with a prod of the finger on his shoulder.

“Um, not now Buffy, eh? – we can have the recriminations later, can we, please?” Wesley said, frowning at the state of Angel, even when Buffy had died, Angel hadn’t got into this bad a state.

“Did you go see Darla?” Buffy demanded, loudly. Angel winced and mumbled.

“WHAT?” Buffy demanded sharply. Angel winced and said

“No!” As clear as he could. Buffy sighed.

“Good, at least that’s something, maybe we can carry on with the job after all then. Come on, drink up, and get going, this isn’t your crypt, you shouldn’t even be here” Buffy said.

Gunn had edged his way outside.

This woman, tiny as she was, scared the living daylights out of him. Angel took two gulps at the scalding coffee and scowled, sat up.

Buffy had her arms crossed, leaning on one hip, looking really angry at him.

“Are you and Spike…” he couldn’t bring himself to say it.

“None of your business, Angel, now drink up, and go” For emphasis, she leaned forward and said,

“LEAVE”

“Buffy, it’s daylight” Wesley reminded her.

“Well, go through the sewers then you’ll come out by the man hole cover at the back of the Magic Box”

“Buffy, I’m..” Angel swung his legs around and stood up, he lurched towards her, and although she’d showered, all he could smell Spike, all over her, his essence, knew that they’d been intimate…many, many times by the smell of things, as Spike’s essence was very strong.

“You let that, that DEMON touch you…I bet he told you he was fucking crazy about you…well he’s crazy about fucking you, I can see and smell THAT!” Angel hissed at her.

Buffy narrowed her eyes and pursed her lips, and then she smiled, wickedly.

“Yes, absolutely EVERYWHERE, and it’s SO INDESCRIBABLY GOOD, TOTALLY BEYOND WORDS, ABSOLUTELY THE BEST, OK, HAPPY NOW?”

Buffy got up close and personal, right in Angel’s face.

Wesley bit his lip and closed his eyes. Gunn looked horrified from the doorway.

Buffy turned to close the crypt door on Gunn, leaving him outside, so he hurried off.

She slammed and shifted the sarcophagus lid pushing it aside so they could climb down.

“Bloody move!” She motioned down the hole with her head, and Wesley and Angel went down. Buffy followed, and pulled the lid shut.


“This way, and keep up, I haven’t got all day” Outside, Gunn heard Buffy’s voice come up through some grating, and decided to go back to the shop.

Slipping and sliding, they slithered their way through the tunnels, and eventually Buffy climbed up four rungs of metal tube ladder, shifted a manhole cover, and disappeared upwards to ground level.

Her head appeared upside down.

“Well, come on, what are you waiting for?” She said impatiently.

“Daylight, hello” Angel said. Buffy tutted.

“Big wuss, put your coat over your head” Trying to do this, climb and hurry up too proved too much for Angel and he slipped.

“Give me strength…” Buffy leaned in, yanked Angel up by the collar into the daylight.

“Ah, ah – ouch - ow” He began to smoke slightly.
He dived into the shadow of the backdoor, trying desperately to cover his head with his coat.

Wesley climbed out, Buffy replaced the manhole cover. She looked up, saw Gunn coming towards them.

“Right then I’ll leave you to it, bye” She ran off.

“Man, that woman scares me to death, bloody glad I’m not a vampire!” Gunn watched Buffy as she ran off, and then looked at Angel’s pained face. He was going to ask Angel what the attraction was, but thought better of it.

“Brandy was it, that got you into such a state?”

“Jack. Daniels” Angel added unnecessarily, wincing.

“How many”

“Oh, I should say, two?”

“Two shots of Jack and you’re totally shit-faced? – man I “

“NO! Not two shots…two bottles, or there abouts” Angel frowned.

“Glad I’m not your kidney’s bro, or your head, or liver come to that. It’s probably good that you’re dead already…and by the way, whose blood’s that?”

Gunn indicated Angel’s shirtfront. Angel looked down, frowned, thought for a second or two, he had a ‘flashback’ to the broken bottleneck cutting his lip.


“Oh, um don’t worry, it’s mine, I broke the bottle neck to drink…”

Giles let them into the shop.

“What happened to you?!” Giles was shocked at the state of Angel.

“He got drunk, went to Spike’s crypt, not the warehouse, thank Gods” Wesley explained. Giles frowned at the state of him, and sighed.