Chapter 1 - Discovery

“Willow!” Xander whispered, jumping back as two Bringers ran right past them and out of the cave complex. “Did I ever tell you this invisibility stuff rocks?”

“Tell me later if we’re not dead!” Willow whispered back. “She should be just up ahead according to the spell. Guess the others took the bait. It doesn’t look like there’s anyone else in here. Let’s find Buffy and get out of here before they come back. I don’t think Spike can hold them off forever.”

“Oh my God...” Xander stopped short as he entered a large room in the cave.

“What?” Willow asked as she came around Xander and followed his eye line. “Oh Goddess...”

“What.... what’d they do to her?” Xander asked, looking in revulsion at the spectacle before him.

“It doesn’t matter Xander. Here, give me your shirt,” Willow said as she tugged on Xander’s sleeve.

“Is she...?” Xander let the unfinished question hang in the air as he handed his outer button-down shirt to Willow.

“She’s alive,” Willow said leaning over Buffy. “These chains are magically reinforced. It’ll take me a minute to get them off. Tell me if you see anyone coming.”

Willow tried four different spells before she found one that opened the manacles. Willow bundled the shirt around Buffy while attempting to rouse her. Slowly, Buffy came awake. She glanced around, her eyes settling on Willow. A tiny smile flashed across her face.

“I like this dream,” Buffy said, weakly stroking Willow’s cheek with one hand.

“Willow, we have company coming!” Xander shouted, running back into the room.

As Buffy fell back into unconsciousness, Willow quickly chanted the words that would include Buffy in the invisibility spell as she sprinkled her with a dust she pulled out of a bag in her pocket.

“Xander, you’re going to have to help me. I can’t carry her by myself!” Willow shouted at Xander.

Xander quickly scooped Buffy up in his arms and the three friends set off through the caves back toward Buffy’s house.