Ladies and Gentlemen only a few more parts to go....I humbly thank everyone that has kept with me on this....it means alot to me....Brat, I'm glad you came back, missed ya!!!!!


Buffy sat across from Riley in the waiting room, flipping through a magazine that held no interest. It was just something to use as a distraction, to avoid talking further with her husband. She was starting to get a tension headache as she thought about her and Riley's relationship.

Riley stood at the window, staring at nothing, just avoiding his wife who was ignoring him. He knew, as soon as they'd gotten out of the car, something had changed. She stepped away from his touch when he tried to place his hand on her lower back.

Buffy couldn't help but feel like she'd stepped into the twilight zone. The comfortable feeling she once had with Riley was gone. In it's place was a feeling she never really knew him, not really. She suddenly realized he'd been treating her with kid gloves, not as his equal. For the first time she started to worry, their relationship would not survive this.

Dr. Walsh stood just out of sight and observed the couple. She could see the tension and knew, without speaking to either of the Finn's, this would be more about their relationship as a couple.

"Jasmine, could you direct the Finn's back to my office, in about five minutes." She told her receptionist in a low voice only she'd hear.

"Yes, Dr. Walsh."

Maggie Walsh turned to return to her office. She was glad that Wesley had given her some prior information of some of the dynamics. It would help she was sure when she informed them she'd like to meet with them separately as well.

*******

Eric sat holding a photo that looked old, but in excellent condition. The eyes, he would never forget her eyes. They were the bluest, most gorgeous eyes he'd ever seen. Her sweet bee stung lips, even now still called to him. Annie Carpenter had been the first woman he'd loved with all his heart, and she still had a part of his soul.

William had his mother's eyes, and her smile. Deep in his gut he knew the young man was his son. Suspected it the first time he saw the man's picture. Felt a connection right off when they met face to fact that first time.

Things had happened between him and Annie, things that she could not forgive. Things he wished he could take back. His dance with the devil had cost him more then he had first realized. If only he could go back and change time, he never would have taken the other woman to his bed. Still today he couldn't remember the other woman's name, or what she looked like. However, he could remember the look on his Annie's face when she walked in and caught them having sex.

Now the fact his mistake could have cost him his son made the pain of what he done even greater. The fact he'd left her and their son at the mercy of Ethan Rayne made him hate what he had done even more.

"Honey, are you okay?" Linda, his wife of 5 years and the mother of his two little boys asked.

"I need to tell you something, and afterwards I will need your advice on how I should handle it." Eric sighed, deciding he'd talk it over with the one person in his life, whose opinion he trusted above all else.

"Okay, I'm all ears." She said, as she allowed him to pull her down on to his lap.

"I need to tell you about this woman." He told her as he handed her the photograph.

"She's beautiful. Do you still love her?"

Eric chuckled, knowing she'd notice how much he cared about Annie right off, "I did, and in a way I still do. But before you get the wrong idea, she passed away a few years ago."

"I'm sorry to hear that." She replied sincerely.

"Me too!" Eric's voice sounded sad as he settled in and told his wife everything concerning his past relationship with one Annie Carpenter, and how she may have given him a son.

*******

Wesley took off his glasses and gently pinched the bridge of his nose. Several books lay scattered about his room, as soft classical music played in the background. He was taking sometime to brush up on Fred's journal, looking for any clues he may have over looked. He wanted to make sure he was ready come Sunday, when he helped guide William through his time with Fred.

He was sure Fred was just the tip of the iceberg. His inner voice told him, William's father, had set the groundwork for her to work her way into taking control of the young man's life.

The phone rang, pulling him out of his thoughts, "Hello."

"Hi, honey."

"Kate, my love, it's so good to hear your voice."

"Reading the journal from hell again, aren't you?"

"How did you know?"

"I know you, and how you operate. Bet you are looking to see if you can find her control word, if she used one. Thinking you might have overlooked something. Then going over all you have on hypnotizing, not because you need it, but because you want to reassure yourself."

"I knew I took up with you for a reason." Wes chuckled, relaxing as his girlfriend teased him.

"Yep, you like my brain."

"I love everything about you."

"Ditto, brain guy, just wanted to tell you my flight information for next weekend." Kate informed him.

"Great, ready." He said as he wrote down the information, his excitement of seeing her pushing away some of the blue mood that had taken over.

"I can't wait to see you."

"Me either, I've missed you terribly."

"I will call you again tomorrow, and remember I love you." Kate sighed through the receiver.

"I love you too."

Wesley thanked the Powers that Be, for bringing her in to his life. Her support was what got her through this rough time. It had been hard on him at first, taking on William's case so close to losing his own father. Then his future walked in one day to interview for the position as partner in his practice. If all went as planned, she would be his partner in life this Christmas when he asked her to marry him.

*******

Maggie listened as the couple sat in silence. The tension between Mr. and Mrs. Finn was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

"I'm getting a feeling maybe we should cut the session in half." She started to explain, "I could meet with one of you now, and then the other one can have the last half hour."

Riley silently nodded his head yes, as he looked out the window. Buffy who had been looking at the pictures decorating the office, also shook her head yes. Maggie tried not to show her concern as she asked, "So, who wants to go first?"
"Ladies, before gentlemen," Riley answered his tone neutral.

"Fine, Mr. Finn, why don't you go and grab a cup of coffee and I will come and get you when we are done here." Maggie suggested.

"Sounds fine." Riley sighed as he stood up and turned to look at Buffy.

Buffy ignored him, not knowing what to do or say. She never had this problem with Spike. Either they yelled until the problem was solved, or they shagged and forgot what nonsense they'd argued about. The only problem they never resolved all the way through was his problem with substance abuse.

Maggie noted the defeated look on the young man's face as he quietly walked out of the office. She turned her attention back to the petite blonde woman recognized the symptoms of anxiety and confusion. The tension was visible in how she straight she sat in the chair, with her arms wrapped around her waist.

"What is it I can do for you today, Mrs. Finn?"

"Call me Buffy."

"Then, please call me Maggie, if that would make you more comfortable, or Dr. Walsh. I will leave it up to you."

Buffy turned to look at the doctor, wondering if she could tell her everything. So many things had started to bombard her since talking with Willow and Faith. For the first time she really started feeling insecure about the decisions she had made over the last thirteen months.

"I really don't know where to start."

Maggie smiled, as she spoke in a calm and reassuring manner, "You can just start at the beginning. Or just pick one of the many things that must be whirling around and we can start there."

"But we only have a half an hour."

"For today, but we have other days."

"Why now, why is it all hitting me right now?" Buffy asked, as she fought the tears that threatened to fall.

"Because until now, I would say you've done a great job of avoiding them. You had all your problems locked in a safe place, until the key opened the door without your permission."

"The key being William?" She asked her tone uncertain.

"Yes. He was the key to bringing everything to the front."

"God! Why me?"

"That I can't answer, and I'm really not sure there is a real answer to that question. We are not always in control of the hand that life deals us. We can only control how we handle it."

"I really don't know where to begin."

Maggie smiled as she replied, "Tell me about your childhood."

Buffy felt herself relax, as the doctor took control of the conversation. She took a deep breath and started to explain how her parents had divorced when she was very young. Her father after a year, had stopped coming around. That by the time she was ten years old she was taking care of her mother, more then her mother was capable of taking care of her.

*******

Linda sat on her husband's lap and heard the pain in his voice as he talked about what he'd done. She knew, without a doubt he loved this Annie at one part deeply. But this wild drug, lost in the magic of the rock and roll world tore them apart. She was well aware of the rock scene, having been a photographer for 'The Rolling Stone Magazine', for a few years. Her father was a famous artist for the magazine as well, during Eric's years of drugs and women.

"Are you sure you could be William's father?"

"Yes, his date of birth fits. His love of music, well that fits too. My father loved to play, and I swear I was born to play as well. His talent is so natural, and I see so much of myself in him."

"Do you want to be his father?"

"Yes, I do. God I'm so proud of him, the steps he has taken to get his life back, fucking amazes me." Eric's praise of the young man made it easy for Linda to accept he would do everything in his power to claim William as his son.

"Then I think you should go to him, tell him everything you've told me. I think you owe it to him and to yourself. I will be more then happy to make him feel accepted, and a real member of our family. He gets to be big brother to two wonderful little boys. That also means you’re a grandfather."

Eric's smile blossomed, "Yeah, I'm a grandfather."

"So are you going to do this, go and claim your son?" She asked with a genuine smile on her face.

"First I think we need to find out if he is indeed my son."

"Call Howard and see what you need to do to find out. But I think you don't care if he is of your blood or not."

"No, I don't."

"Then go and be with him, then bring him home to us and let us meet him."

"What did I ever do to deserve you?"

"Nothing, baby. Love isn't about deserving it, it just is." Linda explained as she leaned in to kiss his lips.

"He is going to let Wes hypnotize him Sunday."

"Then I think you need to be there."

"Yeah, I think you're right."

"I will go pack your things and you call Howard. I will then call the airport and arrange a flight for you "

"Right, I'm on it." Eric chuckled as he kissed his lovely wife before letting her leave his lap. "I will give Wesley a call too and let him know what I'm about to do."

"Do you think Wesley will tell you not to come?"

"No, he mentioned once how he wished I was William's father."

"Astute man that Wes."

"Yes, he is. Now off with you woman, I have things to do and then I will attend to you before I leave.

She blew him a kiss before she turned to leave, "Love you, baby."

*******

"Travers Investigations, this is Glory. How can we help you?"

"May I talk with Quentin please, tell him it's Rupert Giles."

"Sure, Mr. Giles, hold the line please."

"Rupert, old man, what can I do to help you?"

"Find Ethan Rayne for me."

"What do you want that bastard for?"

"Personal!"

"Well, there's not much personal you're going to get from a dead man."

"Dead man as is dead."

"Yep, his body was found about six months ago. Shot execution style just outside of Las Vegas."

"How do you know and no one ever notified his son?"

"Because he was identified and buried by his wife. I just thought she had notified the rest of his family." Quentin explained.

"Do they know who did it?"

"Nope, he made too many enemies here. Little birdie told me he owed a lot of money to the wrong people. Don't worry, no trails leading them to your boy, so don't worry. No one knows he is Spike's dad."

"Why didn't you call me?"

"Figured you knew, we both know you only call me when you need some information." Quentin told his old friend, from his college days.

"I'm sorry about that."

"Don't be old friend. We both know you're no longer Ripper anymore. You went and made something of yourself, mate. Me, I made something of myself, but not anything I could say proudly at the fifty year reunion, if you get my drift."

"I do, Quent."

"And I'm glad that bastard is dead. He wasn't anyone I'd want to be friends with."

"No! He is not. I'm just sorry I was not the one that put him out of society's misery."
"I hope you have the satisfaction that the bastard no longer breaths air."

"Yes!"

"Well if you ever need my assistance in the future, give me a call. You know I would never refuse you."

"Same here, if there is anything I can do for you, let me know."

"Well, when that son and nephew of yours tours again, can you get me some decent seats? My youngest is just gaga over that Xander fella."

"I will make sure you are given the best seats in the house." Giles chuckled, knowing he'd have no problem getting complimentary tickets from his boys. "You take care of yourself, my friend."

"You too old friend."

Giles sighed as he hung up the phone. He now had news that would make everyone relax. Ethan Rayne was no longer of this world to wreak havoc with their lives, especially for William.

*******

Riley sat across from Dr. Walsh and sighed. He didn't like how Buffy avoided looking at him as they passed each other in the hallway. Now here he was, wondering what she and Dr. Walsh had talked about.

"So, Mr. Finn, what do you wish to talk about?"

Riley looked up meeting her eyes and asked, "How do I go about letting the woman I love go?"

"Are you sure you need to let her go?"

"Yes, she belongs with the man she is in love with. The twins need their parents. William deserves a second chance with Buffy, and a chance to be a fulltime father to his children."

"And you know this how?"

"That day she broke down and told me what Spike had done, all I saw was red. Here was a woman worthy of being loved and cherished. Instead, she was alone, pregnant, and feeling lost. I thought I could make her forget about him and learn to love me as much as I love her. But it was an illusion, one that I ignored and sold to her without really thinking it all out. The last thirteen months I've done everything to give her the perfect life. But there is no such thing as the perfect life, no guarantee that life will let the past stay in the past."

"How long have you thought about this?"

"Ever since that night I read the journal. I knew then everything was a lie."

"So you don't think you and your wife have a chance?"

"I think she is in love with William, and it's not that kind of love you can so easily forget. I think she does care, maybe even loves me. I just don't think I'm the one she really wants to spend the rest of her life with, but will keep her vows. I think she also is using me to protect her from loving so deeply again."

Maggie sat back and smiled, "Dr. Finn, have you ever thought of going into behavioral medicine? I think you'd be wonderful at it."

Riley sighed, "I never thought about it. I want to practice family medicine."

"I think you'd be a wonderful practitioner, doing that whole family medicine route."

"So, how do I go about letting the woman I love go?"

"Take one day at a time. Give her time to think things out. Maybe then, you'd both be able to work things out together. I think we should do individual counseling for a few weeks, and then we can work at bringing you both together. I think you both have issues that should be dealt first." Maggie explained.

"Okay, so what do we talk about in the mean time?"

Maggie leaned back and asked, "Tell me what made you want to be a doctor?"