Author's Chapter Notes:
As I promised, yesterday ‘Simply’ and ‘Voices’, now ‘Bit’!
Hello, sorry for this huge late!

Thanks everyone from Pandy and me, we are glad you still like it!
Well, this is a very special ( and kinda touching) moment between Buffy and someone else.. ( before you wonder, it’s NOT Spike!), we hope you’ll like it…

XXII (II)

“Go on with your sodding and meaningless lives. Just go away!” Spike yelled impatiently to the others, breaking the silence and holding Buffy tight to him with feral possession.
Willow tried to say something, but then she changed her mind, because, honestly, she didn’t know what words to use in such a situation, plus.. Spike kept staring at her with his blue eyes that were so intense and cruel that she feared him. “She doesn’t belong to your world anymore, she is only mine! Get the hell out of here and go send the postcard to receive the new Slayer!” he made fun of them, and then he kissed Buffy savagely. “Because the Former-one has tendered her resignations!”

Giles clenched his fist tight as he gulped down laboriously.
He wasn’t the kind of man who lowers his gaze and gives up easily. He would have preferred to lose an arm of his than to let that unbearable cocky arrogant vampire win.
And yet.. maybe this time he had lost the battle for real.
He raised his gaze with pride, despite that big and slightly humiliating defeat, and then he turned to the two soulless vampires.
“Ok. You won.. we’ll leave you alone, I give you my word..” he said dryly.
Xander was stunned and puzzled, completely annihilated by the man’s words. After all, all the others had had the same reaction. “.. but you, you two, must leave this town and never ever come back!” the Watcher concluded, facing Spike’s look with the same coldness and determination of the bleached blond vampire.
Spike pulled his Childe even closer to him and nodded at Giles, smiling with a big satisfaction. At the very end that was what he wanted the most: to take Buffy away from them forever.

After that, the Watcher looked at his Slayer, well.. former-Slayer, and into his eyes she could read sadness and disappointment at the same time.
Giles opened his mouth again, after hesitating a little bit, asking the question he was dying to ask for a while.
“Can I at least say goodbye to you, Buffy, before you leave forever?” he wondered, turning to her, just and only to his little precious Buffy.
She looked into her beloved Sire’s eyes, trying to read his consent in them.
Spike answered with a soft smile and a kiss, before freeing her from his strong grip.
Buffy took a couple of steps forward, parting from Spike but still holding his hand tenderly, and then she looked at her former Watcher, beckoning him to follow her.
Giles took a deep breath, exchanging an icy look with the bleached blond vampire: his eyes were a real threat, ‘Just dare to touch a hair of hers and you’re bloody dead!’, that was the message they sent to the old English man, without any misunderstanding, without any chance of salvation.

Giles looked somewhere else first, and then he followed Buffy.
She made him pass through the living room once again, near the corpse of the former owner of that elegant house, but this time they both deliberately ignored it at all.
They arrived to the kitchen and once they were there Buffy stopped.
She stayed silent for a while, lowering her gaze, and for the very first time since their (former) friends had rushed into the house, she felt vulnerable.
She waited for Giles to talk first, but truth is that also Giles expected the same thing from her.

So, after a couple of minutes that seemed to last an eternity, finally Buffy decided to break that awkward silence.
“I.. I already know.. what you are gonna tell me, but, you know, it won’t help to..” she trailed.
“No, you have no idea about what I’m gonna tell you, Buffy!” he cut her off kinda roughly, but then his eyes became sad and his tone softer. “I.. I can understand you.. and what you feel!”
Buffy raised her gaze, questioning him with her big green eyes. She would expect anything but such an answer from her former Watcher!

But he wasn’t done talking yet.
“You are astonished, aren’t you? Well, you know, this is the last time we see each other.. and I want you to have a very good memory of me. Now, I don’t want to be your Watcher, but I just want to be the person who had followed you, supported and comforted you during all those years of fights and adventures. Believe me, Buffy, I.. I know what it means to be tempted by the dark world, by the shadows. After all I was the Ripper, I did some unspeakable terrible things in my life. So you, you who has always walked on the edge between Good and Evil were the more exposed person. And at the end you have made your choice, you chose the Evil side. And please, notice, I’m not proud of that, I totally disagree! But.. what is done is done, because there’s not coming back in situations like this one..”
Buffy felt the tears fill her eyes and she smiled, a very sweet smile, nothing wicked or devilish.
“Thank you, thank you so much ..” she whispered with a faint voice, as enthused as never.

She still seemed his Slayer to him, but she wasn’t anymore. She wasn’t anymore the fragile but strong Buffy, she would never prevent any other apocalypse, she would never save the innocents again, quite the contrary, she would kill them. Now she was a ruthless vampiress.
But she would always be something more for the man.
“You know, there will be another one after you, and after her another one again… but they will be just and only Slayers. You are special, Buffy, you have been like a daughter to me..” he smiled as his eyes were tearful.
Buffy smiled back at him, visibly touched by then.
“You know.. I .. I would hug you, but.. I’m still so inexpert, and..” she trailed, passing nervously a hand through her hair. “I can’t control my demon very well yet, so I don’t know if.. I can..”
Giles shook his head and pulled her into his hug without any fear.
In fact, Buffy managed to control her demon perfectly. She didn’t slip into her game face not even once, she simply enjoyed the last hug from a person who had been like a father to her, surely better than her real father.

(end II)