Angel sat watching for Spike to enter the theatre. They were supposed to be early so the photographer could go over where he wanted everyone to stand and check the lighting. He was curious to know if the man had watched the special showing he had prepared for him

"What's with the cat ate the canary smile?" Anya asked, oblivious to what had been going on.

"Don't have any idea what you’re talking about," Angel replied, giving her an innocent smile as he lied through his teeth.

"Yeah, whatever," Anya snorted, knowing the man was up to something. She didn't trust the ground he walked on. "Tell it to the choir, maybe they might have enough faith to believe you."

"Really, Anya, where do you get off talking to me like that?" Angel glared at the makeup artist who was about to look him over and see if he needed anything done before the photo shoot.

Anya looked him dead in the face. "Angel you can fool some of the people all of the time, but you don't fool me one bit. I've been in this business longer than you and I know your kind."

"Yeah, and just what is my kind?" Angel snarled.

"Selfish, egotistical, and will stab anyone in the back to keep on top," Anya told him as she started to apply a loose powder. "That should take care of any shine, and don't thank me, cause I know you don't mean it."

Angel couldn't come up with a good enough come back fast enough as he watched the mouthy little bitch walk away from him. All he could think was how she was going to pay for her insolence and disloyalty.

‘Can't see what Harris sees in the tramp,’ he thought to himself as he watched her join her husband, who was talking with a couple of the writers of the show. "Things will change once I get control of things."

Xander noticed the pissed off look on his wife's face. "Hey honey, dead boy say something to upset you?"

Anya scrunched up her face as she looked at her husband, and in front of Andrew and Jonathan told them just what she felt. "He needs to come down from his rose colored ivory tower and take a big look around."

The three men laughed at her comment and nodded their head in agreement, with Andrew looking at his co-writer with a knowing look. Both men knew that the shit was going to hit the fan when the new scripts came out. Mr. O' Connor was not going to be happy to find out that his co-vamp star was going to have a much better lead this season.

"So where is the rest of the gang? I mean, jeez, Giles is usually here by now. And what is with Angel being the first to arrive, like for the first time ever?" Andrew looked at the others, wondering if they had noticed that the man who was always the last to arrive, had been the first.

"I was asking myself the same question," Xander replied, since normally Angel was never on time and he had even beaten him to the photo session.

"He keeps looking at the door like the predator waiting for his prey." Anya looked back at the man who made her skin crawl, her gut telling her to make sure to pay attention to the cocky bastard's reaction to those who entered the theatre.

The three men looked at each other and then back at Anya, all of them noticing how she was lost in her thoughts. Her husband was sure she had figured something out, but was going to keep it to herself until she proved it was worth mentioning. The thought that his girl did know when not to speak her thoughts sometimes, amazed him.

*******

Spike stood between his two co-workers and best friends as they rode the elevator down. The movement messed with his sense of balance slightly, still feeling the after effects of his stupidity last evening.

Giles noticed how quiet his young blonde friend had been since he'd stopped to pick both him and Wesley up. Jenny had given him another bottle of water and a few more of the Tylenol to give Spike in a couple of hours.

Wesley noticed the grimace on Spike's face when the elevator stopped and watched as his friend took a few deep breathes. "Are you okay?"

Spike gave his best friend a sheepish look. "I'm fine, mate."

"You look like hell," Giles snorted.

"Thanks, just what I needed to hear." Spike leaned his head against the elevator wall trying to fight the dizziness.

"Come on, you can do this." Wesley nudged his friend, offering a lopsided smile.

Spike groaned when the door opened and he knew the next few steps would make him or break him. "I don't think I can do this."

"Yes, you can." Giles looked at him with a determined look on his face. "You will do this. I refuse to allow you to let Angel think he has won."

Spike looked down as he walked out of the elevator. His truest fear was facing the man who was behind all of this madness being directed his way. He felt insecure and afraid he would not be able to stand up and make his friends proud, he didn't feel as strong as they believed him to be.

"Spike," Giles said as he took the young man's arm to make him stop. "I believe in you, and I will stand by you no matter what."

Spike looked over at the older man and smiled. "Thanks."

Giles noticed what Jenny had been telling him concerning the child within the man who was seeking acceptance and guidance. "You are welcome."

"I say we go in as a united front," Wesley stated as they closed in on the backstage theatre door. "I think he needs to be made aware that you are not alone in this."

Spike looked up and smiled at his friends. "I’ll face my enemy head on, and with your support, be able to take him and win the war."

"Hear, hear," Giles winked. "I would say let's drink on it, but I think you did enough for the three of us last night."

"Yeah, you're right about that," Spike agreed, praying to whoever was listening that he would not be subjected to standing anywhere near Captain Forehead. "Just hope the Poof is in close vicinity if I decide to disgrace myself."

"That would be a wonderful site to see." Wesley outright laughed at the visual Spike's words brought to mind.

"Yes, it would," Giles agreed. "Head up and know we have your back," he told the younger man right before he opened the door.

The first thing Spike noticed when he walked in was that Angel was sitting at an angle so he could watch the door. Somehow he found it in him to look the man square in the eyes and nod his awareness of the other man's scrutiny.

Anya watched how Angel's eyes became more alert when Spike had walked into the theatre. She noticed how seriously he was watching the blonde male, how confused he looked for a moment before a brief angry look appeared, then, his expression became unreadable.

She knew then that something was up between the two actors. Her thoughts led her to thinking it was not good, whatever it was that had happened. One look at Spike's face told her badness had happened; she knew a hung-over male when she saw one.

She walked over to Cordelia Chase who was working as the photographer, deciding to have a nice little chat with the woman. Anya took it upon herself to make sure to keep Spike away from O'Connor during the photo shoot.

"Hey, Cordy, can I ask a favor?"

Cordelia looked at the makeup artist and shrugged. "What is it?”

"When you place everyone for the pictures, please keep Spike away from Angel." Anya sighed before continuing, "Don't ask me why- just call it female intuition."

Cordy looked at Anya and winked. "Lover's spat?"

Anya looked at the woman as if she was crazy. "Get real honey. Spike is all hetero, no funny business with that one."

"Really, that's not what I have been hearing." Cordy couldn't be happier to have this time to find out the real deal about her boss’ recent obsession.

"Well, take it from me, and I know what there is to know about men." Anya looked meaningfully at the other woman. "Spike is a ladies man, and I'm not talking about dressing like one. He is a woman's man. He is not gay and not bi, and even if he was, he has better taste than Mr. Stick Up My Ass O'Connor."

Cordelia laughed at the other woman's rant. "Hey, don't hold back now, why don't you get to the point and tell me what you really think."

Anya smiled at the other woman, liking her immediately. "So, who told you Spike played for the other team?"

"Let's just say an interested party was told that Mr. Crawford liked it both ways." Cordy nodded toward Angel, hoping the woman caught what she was silently telling her.

Anya noticed the nudge of the other woman's head toward Angel and knew where this so-called interested party had heard such garbage. She even had an idea who the interested party was, thinking now how Cordelia's boss had been checking out Spike's ass the night of the cocktail party.

"So, do you think you can do that for me?" Anya asked as she gave Angel a look that if it could, would have killed him instantly, letting Cordy know the message was received.

"Not a problem, whatsoever. I think I know just where I want the blonde little number," Cordy winked, having noticed the blonde male had a look of being under the weather. "I think he’ll get the special seat."

"Thanks, you are a gem. And please, let the interested party know that he was misinformed on Spike's sexual habits," Anya said as she turned to join her husband. The first chance she got she'd have to tell him what she had found out, and then they would go together and tell Spike.

Angel saw how pale Spike was when he walked in the room, telling him his plan was working so far. But, then the man had looked him directly in the eyes with no evidence that he had watched the tape or not. He had expected a visit to his room, with yelling, screaming, and fists. Never did he expect Spike to calmly walk in as if nothing had ever happened, unless the tape had gone unwatched.

He tried to hide the frustration of not knowing what had indeed happened last night. He could tell the man was paler then usual, but the hangover could be just the reaction to Buffy's rejection yesterday. His mind started working a mile a minute, as he tried to figure out a way to find out if the tape had been watched or not, and, if not, how to arrange it that the man did in fact watch it soon.

Giles and Wesley made sure Spike knew how proud they were of him. "I must say, you have done an excellent job making him wonder what happened," Giles could not help but say as he walked past the younger man.

"Yes, I have to agree he is looking rather puzzled at the moment," Wesley commented, noticing the questioning look the other man would throw their way at times.

Giles now wished he had told them about Darla, but then told himself, ‘Now would not be a good time to get into all of that, later when we don’t have a public to greet."

"Makes it easier knowing I'm not alone," Spike's voice sounded strong and confident, allowing the other two to relax for the moment.

“Never alone, again,” Giles reiterated. “Now, have a seat and slowly sip on the water until we are called upon to step up to the stage.”

"I wonder where Darla is?" Spike looked around, worried about their female co-star.

"I’m sure she will be here directly," Giles reassured them. He knew Jenny was making a special house call and offering her their support with the Angel mess.

*******

Darla walked out of her cabin with a new sense of power, knowing her husband was totally supporting her. The first thing she saw when she turned around after making sure the door was indeed closed and locked, was Jenny Giles leaning against the wall a few doors down.

"Jenny, what brings you around?" Darla cautiously asked.

"Just wanted you to know that my husband and I will support you in away way we can." Mrs. Giles smiled as she held out her hand. “I want to say what a brave woman you are for going to Buffy like that and telling her the truth."

"I never should have done it in the first place. I was just scared, and didn't really have time to think of something else to do." Darla met her gaze with a confidence she didn't have when talking with Jenny's husband last night. "I called Colin and told him everything last night. He is supportive and promises we will get through this together."

Jenny walked over, and gave the woman a hug. "You don't know how good it is to hear that. I was so worried he wouldn't be supportive."

"No, we talked for a bit and he promised me that he loved me." Darla smiled, fighting the tears, "I need to go before I mess up my makeup."

"Promise me you’ll let us know if there is anything we can do to help you until Colin joins the cruise." Jenny was not about to let her leave and not know she could come to them anytime. "I mean it. If Angel gives you any trouble, call us."

"I promise to call you." Darla smiled, feeling even better now that she knew the others didn’t hold what she had done in desperation against her.

Jenny watched her go and decided it was time to get back to her room and the girls and find out their plans for the day. Buffy should be arriving soon as well.

*******

Darla walked into the theatre with a newfound confidence that no one was going to take away from her again. She looked over at Giles and smiled as she mouthed thank you to him.

Giles bowed his head slightly, giving her a smile that expressed his welcome.

Cordelia smiled when she noticed the last of the cast had arrived and she could now get started on getting them ready. "Okay people, come on up to the stage and let me see what I want to do with the lot of you."

Everyone laughed, except Angel who looked at the woman wondering if she was alone or traveling with someone. He had noticed she talked frequently with Lorne and the other guy with the dishwater blonde hair, with the funny girlie name. For the life of him he could not remember the man's name, and decided he wasn't important enough to remember anyway.

Cordelia looked at her set and knew she wanted Spike and Darla to be the two sitting in the chairs that would have the fan in between them.

"Okay, the two blondes, come on down," she yelled out and waited for them to join her. "Okay, handsome, you get the chair on the right and you, my dear, the one on the left."

Spike and Darla smiled at each other as they moved to set down as directed. "Hey pet, hubby joining us tomorrow?"

"Yes, he is," Darla smiled.

"Great, would be nice if you'd bring him around and not hog him to yourself," Spike winked, feeling better after drinking more of the water.

Darla felt a ping of guilt at what she had done- knowing Spike had always treated her and her husband with respect. He had even checked on her a few times during her black period after Colin had left her.

"I’ll make sure of it." Darla hoped he felt the same way once he found out her involvement in deceiving Buffy.

Cordy looked over at the rest of the cast and nodded her head as she came to her decision. "Okay, Wes and Giles come with me."

The two men followed without question as she led them to stand behind Spike, with Giles being the shorter of the two, standing on the outside portion.

"Robert, come stand in the middle would you please?" she asked the writer of the show, who was the tallest of the bunch to come stand beside Wes.

"Angel if you could stand next to Robert that would be great." Cordy waited, and knew, without a doubt, the one and only complaint was about to be voiced.

"Why do I have to stand?" Angel asked. "I think I should sit down in the front."

"Well, I think you need to stand next to Robert. I'm the artist and I know how I want my art to be represented." Cordy looked over at the man with her arms crossed. "This is what I'm being paid for, and I think you standing will make the picture more proportionate."

"Angel, I think she knows what she is doing." Robert decided he would nip this in the bud and work at keeping them on schedule.

"Fine." Angel looked directly at Spike and glared as he walked over and stood next to his boss.

"Work on that smile a bit would you." Cordy rolled her eyes as she then looked over at Xander and offered a sympathetic smile. "Would you be a love and please stand over by Mr. O'Connor?”

"Sure, I can manage that," Xander smiled, happy someone had finally managed to get one over on Angel.

"Great, now just give me a few minutes to go over the lighting and setting to make sure we’re all set and then we can get started." Cordy smiled as she walked over to her camera set up and stepped on the switch that turned on the lights. "We’re going to do the single fan shots first and then add the second chair for the doubles."

"What if we have a threesome?" Xander asked.

"Well, no one ordered it, except a few family shots then a child can sit on one of their parent's lap or can fit them between," Cordy said with a shrug. "Have to play it by ear as we go."

They watched at the young woman worked at checking the lighting around them with her meter and then walk back, and make adjustments on her camera. She did this a couple times before turning off the lights. "Okay, going to start having them line up, go grab something to drink as we let the crowd in."

"I'm going for a water, do you want one?" Wesley leaned down and asked Spike.

"Yeah, could use a bit more," Spike sighed, feeling his headache returning.

"Here, take these before we get started." Giles nudged him and held out two pain pills. "It's close enough that you can take them."

"Ta, mate." Spike silently thanked Jenny as well, with the bottom of his heart. "If you ever leave that woman of yours I will kick your arse."

"I don't think you have to worry about that, you see I’m more afraid of her kicking my arse than I am of you," Giles chuckled.

Spike silently groaned when he noticed the number of people lining up in the seats, and berated himself again for being such a git. He sent a silent prayer asking to give him strength to get through this and make sure the people left feeling he'd done his best to make this event a wonderful experience for them.

"Okay, we’re ready for action," Cordy called out. "Lights, camera, and let the activities begin.

The first fan walked up and let Lindsey take her ticket and escort her over to the chair.

"This is Cheryl."

"Hi, Cheryl," everyone said as the girl sat down.

Spike could see how nervous she was, and reached over and took her hand in his. "Just smile at the camera, we won't bite. Promise."

She smiled at the ‘won't bite’ part and Cordy took the shot, liking the blonde male of the group more and more. "Great shot, Cheryl you are going to love it."

"Thanks," she said, looking at Cordy as she stood, and then turned around and smiled shyly at Spike. "Thanks to you, it will be."

Spike smiled back as he felt his headache start to fade. Her smile reminded him of Buffy, and just the thought of possibility seeing her later made his day look better and better.

*******