Author's Chapter Notes:
Tissue alert......Angel meets his fate.....

Sorry, the muse was just not working with me for a bit.......Here is to hoping the dry spell is lifting.......
"So what was up with Buffy and Spike?" Wesley asked when Willow returned to the room.

"Shopping."

"Shopping?"

"Food shopping and I think something happened. Buffy wouldn't elaborate but it was something she said and her voice sounded upset."

"Something bad?" Wesley sat up with a worried expression.

"No, not bad, bad. Buffy said it was okay and we'd talk later." Willow tried to assure him. "Maybe when we get there it will all be worked out and things will be fine."

"Knowing Spike, he'll make sure it is." Wesley sighed. "I've never seen him so caught up like he is with Buffy."

"And I feel the same about Buffy."

"Willow, everything will work out, for all of us." Wesley tried to sooth her by wrapping his arms around her.

"I know. I wonder how we'll react when we have our first argument."

Wesley chuckled as he whispered, "The best make up sex."

Willow blushed as she looked around to make sure her parents were no where around. Even if he whispered it, she knew how good her mother's hearing was. The woman should've worked for the CIA with how well her ears worked.

"Tea is ready." Sheila announced making Willow even more embarrassed as she hid her face against Wes's chest.

"I hope she didn't hear you." Willow hissed.

"Hear what?"

Willow noticed the sly grin on her mother's face and groaned, "Nothing, Mom."

"Good, now let's relax and you can tell me how you and Wesley met."

*******


Spike couldn't wait to touch her. Buffy had to know he loved her and would bend over backwards to change. He'd kept his dreams about having a family so buried deep down inside him, they were bursting to come to the top now that he was in love. It was the overwhelming sense this wasn't meant to be for him that made him fear losing it all seem so real and intense.

"I got the door, pet." Spike said and he noticed she put her hand down on her lap.

"I can open my own door."

"Humor me, please."

"Okay, my good humor man." Buffy teased him.

"Don't worry, I'll show you how good I can be." He promised with a glint in his eyes and he could've sworn he saw her squeeze her legs together.

Her giggle was all he needed to hear. It told him they were in the good and helped to alleviate some of his fears. Deep down he knew that it was all about his fears and maybe it was time to do something about them.

Buffy was confident that when they talked about Will's jealous possessiveness he would listen and understand her feelings. She also knew it would take some time to work through everything, but that in the end they'd be okay.

The adoring expression on his face when he opened the door said it all. He was the one. They would grow old together no matter what obstacles would come their way. She would make sure they never stopped talking, keeping the line of communication open.

"William, I love you." She said as she cupped his face with her hand when he leaned down.

"I love you, too." Spike replied as he turned and kissed her palm. "You're the one, Buffy."

The moment their lips met they lost themselves in the kiss. Only a few minutes passed, but to them it felt longer before they ended the kiss reluctantly.

"We have groceries to take inside." Buff reminded him.

"Yeah, and then it's your turn." Spike whispered in her ear so sexy that it sent chills down her spine.

Hearing him laugh when she playfully smacked his arm was music to her ears as she teased him by saying, "I'm in love with a sex hound."

The sexy chuckle made her wish the damn bags were in the house and already put away. She watched as he hit the trunk release, wishing it was her button he was flicking.

"Ruff, ruff, baby."

"Good boy," Buff cooed as she reached up to pet his hair and then scratch him behind is left ear.

"Keep that up and we'll have ice milk instead of ice cream and the neighbors will talk." Spike's heated stared made her feel like she was melting.

Neither of them noticed when a car's engine revved up and sped past them. Both Spike and Buffy continued to flirt and unpack the groceries unaware they'd had an unwelcome observer just a few cars down.

"You know we still have to talk about what happened." Buffy reminded him as they approached the front door.

"I know, pet. But now I know it will be a good talk, and something that will make us stronger instead of tearing us apart."

Buffy nodded. "I will do everything I can to make us work."

"Me too, Buffy."

"Then we're in the good." She assured him.

"What time is Red and lover boy coming over?"

"Willow said she'd call." Buffy replied as she opened the door so Will could hurry to the kitchen. "I could've taken a few more bags you know."

"I man, you woman."

"Wait till you taste my cooking," she teased. "You might want to wear the apron in the kitchen, honey."

Spike's imagination just played havoc on his libido. He pictured himself in the kitchen wearing only an apron and Buffy was his seven-course meal. First thing when they got to the kitchen he'd look to see if there was an apron already there. If not then tomorrow he'd make sure to go out and find one.

*******

Ethan drove with no thought if he was driving safe or not. He'd come back and parked waiting for Buffy to return. It was killing him that he hadn't seen her. The feeling of dread was eating away at him. He dreaded seeing her with another man, but he needed to see for himself so he could plan on how to get rid of him.

Something about the fancy sports car had caught his attention. He knew it was them, it was his Buffy being brought home by that man. As it had drawn closer he'd recognized the passenger as being Buffy.

It was hard not to jump out of the car when it turned into Buffy's driveway, and he couldn't take his eyes off her either. Her skin was tanned and he could tell the sun had lightened her hair. The thought that some rich bastard was taking advantage of his girl fueled his anger.

Ethan could taste the blood from when he'd bitten his bottom lip, and was sure there would be a bruise come tomorrow. He growled when man hurried to assist Buffy out of the car. That should've been him, not someone else that Buffy was touching so lovingly.

"The bastard has seduced her." He snarled as he remembered how the man had leaned into Buffy's touch.

The moment their lips had met Ethan knew he couldn't watch any more as he drove off without thought of being seen. It was not the time to confront Buffy on the wrong choice she'd made. He would have to put into motion a plan to make her realize her mistake in being with this man and not with him. Right now, it took everything to keep him from going back and beating that trespasser to a bloody pulp.

*******

Quentin Travers sat beside the young man he'd come to care about. Angel was a complex man with many issues that made him want to beat some sense into the man at times. Yes, his client and friend was a bastard, but Quentin knew he couldn't call the kettle black.

The fact the man survived his poor excuse of parents was short of a miracle. Angel's father was a bully and demon in his own right. It had taken a lot of money to keep the man quiet and out of the picture.

The beeping of the machines continued to remind him how close to death Angel still was. Several times since his friend's arrival the staff had to restart the man's heart. Those in charge of Angel's care already warned him there would be some brain damage. The severity of the damage they couldn't determine until he woke up, if he did.

"For all the badness you've done, even you don't deserve this," Quentin muttered.

Various alarms suddenly went off, dragging the older man from his thoughts. The hustling of the staff and the medial lingo told him something bad was happening. People pushed him back as one of the doctors started calling out orders.

Someone was pumping on Angel's chest, while another was pushing medications into the IV line. A man was disconnecting the life support and then manually bagging to help with Angel's breathing. Quentin didn't know how to feel or what to think since everything was happening so fast.

On the heart monitor the only tracings he could see was coinciding with the man pumping up and down on Angel's chest. He was sure if the man stopped the line would be flat.

"Stop CPR!" The doctor in charge called out.

Travers noticed the flat line when they stopped, just like he suspected would happen.

"Resume CPR! Is it time for more Epi?"

Quentin fought the tears. He just couldn't watch this any longer. He knew Angel wouldn't want this unless he'd make a full recovery. This had to stop, and he had the power to make it so.

"Stop! Stop it all. I'll sign the papers," he sobbed. "Let him die in peace."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Time of death 4:10 p.m.." Dr. Shaw announced.

The only sound was the buzzing of the machines, but soon someone turned them off. Now there was silence. It was both comforting and torture. To speak of what happened would only make it all a reality and the reality of the situation only made it hurt even more.

"Goodbye, Angel." Quentin sighed as he watched the staff start removing the tubes and IV's as he silently prayed Angel's tortured soul was finally at peace.

*******

"Sheila, I think you're right."

"Oh, Ira, when are you going to learn never to doubt my womanly intuition?"

"Never, my dear. It would take away the spice from our marriage," he teased.

"I think I might have to reward you for that later."

"You know this means I'm going to have to wear a monkey suit to walk her down the aisle."

"And you'll make a very handsome monkey at that." Sheila smiled as she pulled everything together for the tea.

"You'll have to get a fancy mother of the bride dress," he said, returning her smile.

"I like him."

"Me too," Ira agreed. "They fit so well together.

"Yes, I can see how much they love each other."

"We better get back so we can find out what else our daughter has to tell us," Ira suggested.

"Yes, she does have that anxious feel about her when she has something important to say, but is worried how we will react to it."

*******

Harmony paced back and forth. She couldn't believe that Angel's manager hadn't returned any of her calls. Maybe the messages didn't convey how important it was he called back.

"God! Angel's alive and that means he'll know what to do."

She really believed he would help her to get Spike back. He had enough money to help her to bribe someone to change the DNA test to make it look like Spike was indeed the baby's father.

Deep down she knew Angel would never acknowledge the child without bringing up her nasty past. He'd tear her down and leave her with nothing. No, it was better to get him to help her to set Spike up to take on the responsibility of supporting her and the baby.

"I bet we can even get Spike to marry me." She reasoned as she stomped her foot. "If only that bastard Travers would call me back so I can arrange to see Angel."

*******

Buffy smiled as she watched William help her to put the groceries away. This really made her feel they were on their way to domestic bliss.

"Where do you want the pasta?" Spike asked.

"Third shelf."

"How would you like my special spaghetti tomorrow for dinner?"

"Oh, I love Italian anything," Buffy nodded, putting the ice cream in the freezer.

"Men or food?" Spike teased.

"Oh, I'd say Italian food and in British in my man."

Spike moved toward his goal, feeling a need to touch, kiss, and love his girl. Then he suddenly remembered they needed to talk causing him to rethink his actions. Common sense told him if he tried to play first Buffy would not be too happy. Therefore, he'd have to give her some loving later, but it didn't mean he couldn't kiss and touch her right now. Buffy's question caught his attention.

"How about a sandwich to tide us over until Wes and Willow join us?"

"Sounds good, kitten."

"Ham, turkey, or roast beef?"

"Roast beef, swiss, with a touch of mustard would be good." Spike leaned back and watched her move around the kitchen.

"Can you get the paper plates? They're in the cabinet over the stove."

"Sure thing." Spike smiled at how at home he felt in Buffy’s kitchen.

"Baby, can you get the pickles out of the fridge?"

Spike put the plates in front of her and lightly kissed her cheek on his way to do as she asked. He could see that happening every day in the future and in fact, looked forward to it. No longer was he afraid of the talk he and Buffy were planning. .

"Buffy, I want to apologize for how I acted earlier."

The look of understanding in her eyes told him she was about to tell him something about himself he thought only a select few knew. For her to work it out so quickly made him love her even more.

"Will, I know it's more about what's been done to you in the past. I understand that because I've been there too. Not as bad, but enough to know how hard it is to trust again. I had my mom growing up, while you didn't really have anyone. I believe with time we can learn to trust each other so that jealousy won't be an issue."

"Wesley was my first real friend. He's more like the brother I never had. Jenny was the force who dragged me kicking and screaming into her little family. And I don't regret one day of it. Xander and Anya, well how can anyone say no to Anya when she puts her mind to something? They're the only family I've ever known that is until I met you."

Spike watched as Buffy eyes grew moist with tears. He hated that he made her cry until she stood and reached out her hand to him.

"Can I join you?"

He pushed back and took her hand to lead her to him. Her warmth cradled him when she straddled his lap and wrap her arms around his neck. Leaning down to rub their noses together and it all fit. This was his present and future pleasure by spending times like these with his ladylove.

"I could get used to this,’ Spike sighed before adding, “more like addicted to it."

"Yeah, it sure feels right." Buffy agreed. "We should finish eating."

"And talking."

"I don't think we'll ever stop talking. In fact I think we should promise ourselves to always talk about everything."

"Well, I think we should have some secrets or else birthday, Christmas, or surprise presents would be so boring."

"Okay, we can keep some secrets that would ruin surprises."

"Buffy, it will take both of us some time to get this all worked out." Spike felt it was important to share. "We've both been alone with our deepest secrets and having no one to answer to, it might take some time, but we can make this work."

"Well, we do have a lifetime, right?"

Spike nodded, "and a lovely lifetime it will be."

They both laughed when Buffy's stomach grumbled. Spike grabbed his sandwich and offered it to her.

"We can start with sharing a meal together," he teased.

"And a great start it is." She said right before she took the offered bite making him smile and rub softly at the small of her back.

Spike realized life with Buffy would never be boring. She was just what he needed to keep him on his toes. He also felt, that soon, he would be able to tell her anything when he was ready. Their life was going to be a journey he was more than happy to travel.

*******