Chapter Four

Buffy spent the next several days doing what she knew she should have in the first place; bending and stretching her body several times a day until she felt comfortable that it would be OK for her to start training again.

True to his word, Spike stayed conspicuously away from her; only seeing Dawn at his crypt in the afternoons when she needed help with her school work. If it was getting dark, he would walk her home and say a quick hello to Joyce, but he never asked about Buffy or looked for her.

The Slayer had gone back to the dorm and was busy trying to catch up on what she had missed of her classes while she was home recuperating. It was becoming increasingly obvious that maintaining her status as a full time student and keeping up with her Slaying duties as well as worrying about Glory were all going to take up more time than she actually had.

And, to complicate things, her mother had started getting blinding headaches that had Buffy concerned about her. She eventually convinced her mother that she had to see a doctor and was anxiously waiting to hear the diagnosis. When she determined that she had spent enough time playing catch up with her school work, she left the campus and headed for Revello Drive.

(I’ll just check on Mom, then do a quick patrol before I come back to campus. There hasn’t been much demon activity this week. I hope that doesn’t mean they’re all hunkering down because of Glory.....)

Thinking about the hell-god reminded her that Dawn was only safe as long as no one let it slip that she was the mystical key that was object of Glory’s search. She mentally ran through a list of who actually knew about it. Buffy, her mom, Willow and Tara, Giles, Xander, Anya, and of course, Spike, who had been with Dawn when she made the frightening discovery of her origin in Giles’ journals.

Buffy decided she would approach the residential office and make arrangements to move out of the dorm and back to her mother’s house.

(Not only will it be cheaper, but I won’t have to go running back and forth to check on Mom and Dawn. I’ll just go to classes when I need to and then come back here before patrol.)

She arrived at her home to find her mother packing a small overnight bag, while Spike paced back and forth on the back porch, smoking one cigarette after another and Dawn ran back and forth nervously between them.

“What’s going on, Mom?” she asked as calmly as she could with her stomach turning over rapidly.

“Oh, Buffy, you’re here. Good. I hated to leave Dawn alone, although Spike did say he would stay with her until....”

“I’m here. I’ll stay with Dawn. Where are you going? Why are you packing?”

“I’m sure it’s nothing, dear. You know how doctors are. He just wants me to come in to the hospital so they can run some tests and confirm that it’s nothing.”

“It’s such a nothing that he wants you to come in tonight?” Buffy’s voice held all the disbelief she could muster.

Her mother stopped packing and sighed. “There’s a slight chance that it is...something. And if so, they want to know right away so that they can begin treatment. But, I’m sure it’s going to be fine,” she finished brightly and resumed her packing.

“Spike can drive you to the hospital,” Buffy said suddenly. “We’ll all come with you.”

“Buffy, they aren’t going to know anything tonight, I’m sure. You and Dawn stay here and get a good night’s sleep and I’ll call you in the morning. I think I will ask Spike to drive me, though. The drugs the doctor gave me for the pain are making me really loopy.” Her mother giggled slightly and Buffy was reminded of band-candy night and how her mother and Giles kept giggling at each other. It occurred to her to wonder what exactly had been in those cigarettes that she kept taking away from them.

She shook her head to clear the irrelevant thought and went downstairs to tell Spike what she needed him to do. They hadn’t seen each other since the night of the council’s visit and she wasn’t sure how he would react to her presence in the house again.

“She tell you?” he asked as she joined him on the porch.

“Yes, at least she told me as much as she’s willing to right now.” Buffy wrapped her arms around herself, suddenly chilled as all the possibilities began to run through her mind. “We’ll know more tomorrow, I guess.”

“It’ll be all right, love,” his warm voice rumbled near her ear and she looked up to meet his concerned expression. She had to steel herself to stay where she was and not fall into the comfort she knew he was offering.

(Got to keep things business-like between us. That’s the only way this will work. I can’t let him touch me, no matter how good it might feel. I’ve got to stay strong.)

“Of course it will. I know that. I’m not worried,” she lied, knowing she wasn’t fooling either one of them. “She wants you to drive her to the hospital. Says she’s too ‘loopy’ to drive. I think she means stoned,” she smiled up at him. “You don’t mind, do you?”

“You know I don’t, Slayer. I’ll just go start the car now.” He turned to go back through the house, then paused and asked without turning to look at her, “Do you want me to report back? Or should I just drop the car off and go home?”

“I’m not going to be able to sleep tonight,” Buffy sighed. “Why don’t you come in when you get back and we’ll have some hot chocolate or something.”

He nodded his head, still without looking at her, “OK, pet. I’ll see you in a little while.” He opened the door and went to get Joyce’s bag and put it in the car. Buffy followed him into the house and went to the front door where her mother was putting on a coat.

“You’ll call as soon as you know anything, right?” she demanded.

“Yes, Buffy. I’ll call you first thing in the morning before you go to class. I’m sure it will turn out we’re all worrying for nothing.”

“Of course we are. But you’ll get a nice rest in a comfy hospital bed tonight, and breakfast in bed in the morning. So, kinda like a vacation, huh?”

“Yes, dear. It’s just a short vacation and then I’ll be right back.” She kissed Dawn quickly, hugged them both and went briskly out the door to the car. The two sisters stood in the doorway, shoulders touching and watched until the taillights were out of sight.

“OK, missy. It’s a school night, so off to bed with you.” Buffy gave her sister a tight hug and pushed her gently toward the stairs.

“She’s going to be alright, isn’t she?” Dawn asked in a tremulous voice.

“Of course, she is, Dawn. She has to be.” Buffy gave her sister what she hoped was an encouraging smile and waved her toward the stairs. “Now go get some sleep. I’ll wake you in the morning.”


Buffy paced around the house, too restless to sit down and watch TV, and too afraid to leave Dawn alone to go on a quick patrol. Eventually she found herself on the back porch, sitting on the steps and resting her head on her knees as she gave in to the anxiety churning inside her.

She was so wrapped up in her thoughts that she didn’t hear the car pull up or notice that Spike was back until he sat down beside her and put his coat over her shoulders.

“Thanks,” she mumbled, not lifting her head, but leaning slightly toward him.

“It’ll be OK, love.” He offered the useless platitude again, not knowing what else to say.

(Bloody hell, I want to make it be all right. For her, for the Nibblet, for Joyce. Don’t know what these Summers women have done to me, but I can’t stand to see any of them unhappy or in pain.)

He could feel Buffy leaning in his direction, even though she hadn’t raised her head from her knees or moved her folded arms. He wanted to hold and comfort her so badly his arms ached, but he didn’t want to offer something that wouldn’t be welcomed.

(Wonder where the soldier boy is tonight? Surely they’ve kissed and made up by now. Wonder if she called him while I was gone?)

When he heard a small sniffle from Buffy’s lowered head, and smelled the salty tang of tears, he couldn’t stand it any longer and he pulled her onto his lap. Buffy buried her head in his chest immediately and allowed the sobs she’d been suppressing to come out.

She cried for several minutes while he held her and murmured soothing words into the top of her head. Eventually the sobs tapered off to sniffles and she picked her head up to rest it on his shoulder.

“Sorry about your shirt,” she sniffled. “If you leave it here, I’ll wash it for you.”

“What, you don’t think I’d want to go home wearing Slayer snot all over me?” he teased gently.

Buffy was amazed when he produced a clean white handkerchief and handed it to her. She stared back and forth from the handkerchief to his face, trying to comprehend that William the Bloody carried a clean handkerchief in his pocket.

“It’s a hanky, love. You use it to wipe your eyes and nose.” He smiled at her expression and waited for her to respond.

(She’s gob-smacked good and proper this time) he thought to himself with amusement as she continued to look at him as if he’d suddenly grown another head.

“I know what it is,” she muttered, finally wiping the remains of tears off her face and blowing her nose. “I just can’t believe you had one.”

“Hey, properly raised Victorian gentleman here, pet. Always have a clean hanky to lend a lady in need.”

“Guess I seemed pretty needy tonight, huh?” she said ruefully, ducking her head.

The vampire reached a hand to her face and tipped her chin up so that he could look at her. He gently pushed an errant lock of hair back out of her eyes and said softly, “You’re worried about your mum, love. No shame in that. Even the Slayer can’t be supergirl all the time. I’m just glad I was here.”

“I’m glad you were here, too,” she whispered, looking down again. She was suddenly conscious of where she was sitting and that his arms were still wrapped around her. She wanted nothing more than to remain wrapped in those cool, comforting arms until the sun came up, but she knew asking him to stay and hold her all night would be very unfair.

(Not to mention, probably impossible for either one of us.)

As though he could read her mind, Spike ducked his head and without looking at her offered, “I could stay, if you want, pet. Just hold you till you fall asleep.” Not wanting to see the look of rejection he was sure was on her face, he continued to stare down at his boots until she nudged him to look up.

“I don’t think platonic cuddling in a bed is one of those things Buffy and Spike would be very good at.” She blushed as she said it, but forced herself to meet his eyes so he would understand that she wasn’t rejecting the offer because it offended her.

“S’pose you’re right, love,” he agreed with a gentle smile. “But I’d give it a try if you thought you needed me.”

(DO I need him? Why is the idea of falling asleep next to him so appealing? Shouldn’t I be calling Riley right now for moral support? Why would I rather have Spike here? Must be because my mom and Dawn like him.)

“I...I’d like to try. If you don’t mind. Just until I fall asleep? Then you can go do...whatever it is you do at night.”

(Probl’y not a good idea to tell her what I do at night is stand outside her house and listen to her heart beat while she sleeps.)

“I volunteered, pet. Remember? I can do it. Provided you keep those little hands to yourself, anyway.” He grinned at her blush when she was reminded of how she could turn him on just by absently rubbing his bicep.

“MY hands will be just fine,” she grumbled at him as she stood up and reluctantly moved toward the house. “You just watch yours mister.”

(And your lips, and your tongue, and.....gah! This is never going to work!)

Spike followed her into the house and up the stairs, stopping when he got to the top.

“I’ll just wait here, pet, until you tell me you’re ready.”

Remembering how he’d cared for her when she couldn’t do anything for herself, she started to laugh at his Victorian sense of propriety. Then she remembered his “just wait till those casts are off...” and knew that he was just avoiding temptation.

“K,” she said softly and slipped into the bathroom. When she had finished in the bathroom and changed into her least sexy pajamas, she called softly and he was into the room before the words were all out of her mouth.

Buffy was in the bed, covers pulled up to her chin. She had left space beside her for him to lie down, and was surprised when he pushed the pillow up against the headboard and leaned back on it.

“Come’ere, pet,” he said quietly and held out his arms. He grinned at her when she slowly emerged from the cocoon she’d made in the blankets.

“What’re you laughing at?” she demanded, as she curled up next to him. “I don’t see anything funny about this.”

“You, love. I’m laughing at you. D’you really think flannel pajamas and a couple of blankets could make me forget what you look like naked? I’m a vampire, pet, not just a man. You fill all my senses. Your scent is like ambrosia, the sound of your heartbeat makes mine almost beat in rhythm with it, the feel of your warm breath....” his voice trailed off as she looked like she was seriously rethinking the idea of having him in her bed. “Point is, love, I appreciate your trying to make it easy on me, but you’re not gonna change the way I feel around you just by coverin’ up the goodies.”

“Maybe this isn’t such a good idea,” Buffy sighed, even as she snuggled into his side. “It’s not fair to you, and—“

“I’ll be fine, Slayer. This is about comfort and support, not sex. I know that and I’ve got no intention of violating your trust by trying to take advantage of the situation. Means too much to me, to know that you’re willin’ to lean on me.” He planted a light kiss on the top of her head. “Told you last week – nobody ever died from a hard-on. Not that I have one,” he hastened to add as Buffy cast a quick look toward his crotch.

Buffy realized she was actually quite tired, emotionally if not physically. She put her head against his chest and wrapped one arm across his body. With his body against hers, and his strong arms gently cradling her, she drifted back into the same comfortable feeling she’d had outside. Soon, the only sound in the room was the soothing sound of the clock ticking off the seconds and the light swish of fabric as the vampire’s thumb moved slowly back and forth on the Slayer’s flannel covered arm.


When Buffy woke up in the morning, she wondered for a minute why the bed felt so empty. She sat up with a start as she realized the sun was pouring in the window right onto the spot Spike had been in last night. A quick search for dust or ashes, and she breathed a sigh of relief.

(I guess I can’t yell at him for leaving. We said it would be just until I went to sleep, And it’s not like he ran off after we had sex or anything. He was a perfect gentleman.)

She smothered the little stab of annoyance she felt at the idea that he had seemed to have no trouble being a perfect gentleman.

(Hypocritical much, Buffy? Tell him he can’t, then get mad cause he doesn’t? Way to be inconsistent-girl!)

She got up and knocked on Dawn’s door on her way to the bathroom. When she came out to allow Dawn in, she quickly dressed and went downstairs. She looked at the phone for several minutes, then surrendered to the guilt she was feeling and called Riley’s number. She tried to pretend she wasn’t relieved when he didn’t answer, and quickly left a short message saying that her mother was in the hospital and that she and Dawn would be going there soon.

With that out of the way, she called Giles and asked him if he could give them a ride to the hospital. While she waited for him, she called the dorm and told Willow what was going on and asked her to tell Xander.

She was too tense to sit still, so while she was waiting for Dawn to come downstairs and for Giles to arrive, she paced around the house, wiping imaginary dust from all the flat surfaces.