By Friday, the school was buzzing with excitement for Homecoming. Buffy, on the other hand, was still indecisive about it, even though she knew she was going to go with Angelus. She was excited because it would be her last Homecoming of high school, but after Spike’s revelation on the hill, she didn’t know if she could handle being in a room with both of them at the same time.

‘Undoubtedly, Spike wants to kill Angelus,’ she thought. ‘Because I know I used to want to kill Dru. And now…now I just don’t know.’

When Willow went to Buffy’s locker before lunch, she noticed that her friend seemed deep in thought as she grabbed the things she needed for the afternoon.

“Hey,” she said, leaning on the locker beside Buffy’s. “Is everything alright?”

“Yeah,” Buffy answered, looking at Willow, who didn’t seem to believe her at all. “What do you really think of Angelus?”

“Buffy,” Willow said hesitantly, not wanting to upset her friend. “He seems nice, but I…I don’t think he’s good for you. Something seems off with him, and I don’t know exactly what it is, but I just don’t feel comfortable around him.” Buffy sighed and closed her locker. “Why? What’s making you ask me about it? Did something happen with him?”

‘Something’s always happening with him,’ Buffy thought but decided not to answer her question, opting instead to ask her another question.

“Do you think I should break up with him?” she asked, looking at her friend with a sad expression.

“I think you should do whatever makes you happy,” Willow answered. “You’re only this age once, and if you don’t live life like you want to, then what’s the point of living?” Buffy managed a small smile and nodded. “If you’re happy with him and you like him, then I don’t see why you’d dump him. Maybe I read things wrong when I met him. I’m sure I’ll have a whole different opinion of him after Homecoming.”

‘Probably not, but a consoling and open-minded friend is a good one,’ Willow said to herself.

“Yeah,” Buffy agreed, beginning to walk beside Willow to the cafeteria.

‘Homecoming’s going to change things, isn’t it?’ she thought, her shoulders dropping and a frown settling over her features.

* * * * *

That night, Buffy went to the Bronze and met up with Faith after spending an hour of getting ready and arguing with her mother about her clothes.

‘I’ve been dressing like this for months now,’ Buffy thought as she walked into the club. ‘When is she going to lay off and let it go already?’ She saw Faith by the bar and walked over to her.

“Hey, Faith,” she smiled, happy to see her friend again after a long time of not even talking to her.

“Hey, B,” Faith replied, handing Buffy a cup. She raised an eyebrow. “A rum and Coke, one of your favorites.” Buffy smiled and accepted the cup, taking a sip of it. “So, what brings us together tonight?”

“I wanted to talk to you about some…relationship troubles,” Buffy said, carefully phrasing her answer.

“Well, let’s have a seat and figure things out then,” Faith said, walking over to an empty booth against the wall. Buffy sat across from her and took a deep breath. “So, what’s on your mind, blondie?”

“It’s about Angelus,” she said. “And a little about Spike.” Faith sighed and shook her head. “What?”

“Are you still aching for the Billy Idol clone?” she asked, studying the blonde as she looked away.

“More like he’s ‘still aching’ for me,” she answered, and Faith raised an eyebrow.

“Oh? Since when?” she asked, surprised at the turn of events.

“He told me the other day,” Buffy answered. “He told me that he wants me back.”

“And how did you reply to that?” Faith asked, tapping her fingers against the side of her glass.

“I told him that I didn’t want to be with him again,” Buffy answered. “I mean, he’s the one who left me for goth-girl, so why the hell should I go back to him? I don’t owe him anything, and I don’t want to be hurt again, especially by him.” She looked down. “But a part of me wanted to cave in, to be with him again.”

“Do you still love him?” Faith asked, drinking from her cup.

“Yes…no…I don’t know,” Buffy said. “He and I were together for so long, so it’s kind of hard not to love him anymore, but then again, he hurt me more than anyone ever has before, so that’s a good enough reason to hate him.” She sighed. “But I don’t. I still care about him, I still get jealous when I see him alone with Dru, and I still worry about him.” She paused, looking up at Faith. “That’s not good, is it?”

“It’s to be expected,” she shrugged. “You haven’t been together in a year, but it’s not like you never see him around. It makes sense that you still dig him- I know most girls in your position would agree with you.”

“But then what do I do about Angelus? He seems like such a great guy,” Buffy said. “He takes care of me, and he can be really sweet, and he’s been nothing but good to me.”

“Do you want to be with him still?” Faith asked, and Buffy hesitantly nodded. “You don’t seem so sure.”

“That’s because I’m not,” Buffy said. “After Spike told me he wants us to be together again, I don’t know how I feel about Angelus. I don’t know what to do anymore.”

“Has Angelus ever given you a reason to break it off with him?” Faith asked.

‘He let me get really drunk one night and slept with me,’ she thought. ‘That’s a good reason.’ She paused. ‘But other than that, no, not really.’

“No,” she finally answered, and Faith smiled.

“Well, there you go then,” she replied. “Stay with Angelus, and if something makes you change your mind about him, then give him the heave-ho and move on.” Buffy smiled at her friend and nodded. “Now, let’s turn that frown upside down and head to the dance-floor.” The girls got up and walked towards the group of dancing teenagers, letting themselves dance and be free of their thoughts for a while.

* * * * *

Spike watched from the balcony as Buffy and Faith walked to the bar, both of them getting their fourth drink of the night. He wanted to give Buffy the benefit of the doubt, but then he remembered what Willow had said about Buffy drinking a lot more. He took a deep breath and walked downstairs, heading to the bar. Before Buffy could take her drink from the bartender, Spike stepped in and grabbed it, holding it away from her. She stared at him.

“Spike?” she asked, raising an eyebrow. He saw that her eyes were glassy and knew right away that she wasn’t quite herself.

‘Of course she’s drunk,’ he thought. ‘It seems like she’s always drunk when she’s with this Faith chit.’

“Come on, Buffy,” he said, grabbing her arm. “I’m taking you home.” She wrenched her arm free of his grasp and pushed him away from her.

“I’m staying right here,” she replied. “I’m happy here. Aren’t I, Faith?”

“Yeah,” Faith said, stepping forward. “She’s staying with me, Billy. Got it?”

“No, I’m taking her home,” he said sharply, crossing his arms. “Can’t you see that she’s drunk?”

“What? I’m not drunk,” Buffy replied, giggling. “I’m just a tiny bit tipsy, is all.”

“Yeah, you’re on the right path to being pissed,” Spike said, grabbing her arm again.

“What’re you talking about? I’m not pissed- I’m happy,” Buffy said, giggling again.

“I didn’t mean pissed off- I meant drunk,” Spike said, frowning when she pushed him.

“Go away,” she said. “Run along to your precious Drusilla.” Buffy looked around the club. “Where is she? The queen of Skanktown didn’t come with you?” She grinned. “Wow, Spike, you’re really great with women.” He clenched his jaw. “Come on, Faith, I like this song.” She pulled her friend back to the dance-floor, and Spike watched them, even angrier than he was when he first came over to her.

‘God, it was never supposed to be this way,’ he thought before turning on his heel and storming out of the club. ‘But if this is how she wants to play the game, then I’ll let her…but not without cheating.’