When Buffy woke up, she slowly opened her eyes and noticed that she wasn’t in her room, but it wasn’t unfamiliar to her. She started looking at particular things and frowned before becoming nauseous.

‘Why the hell am I in William’s bedroom?’ she asked herself, slowly sitting up before laying back down again, shutting her eyes and groaning. ‘And I’ve got such a hangover. I can’t believe I let something like this happen twice. Mental note- stop drinking so much.’ She paused, sighing. ‘And why am I alone?’ She opened her eyes again and turned on her side, looking at the clock on his bedside table. ‘It’s ten o’clock? Great, this will be fun to explain to Mom. And Homecoming is tonight.’ She began rubbing her temples, hoping that her headache would subside by the time she had to get ready for the dance.

The door slowly opened, and Spike walked into the room, holding a glass of water and aspirin. He closed the door with his foot and walked to the bed, sitting on the edge of it and looking at her.

“Hey, luv,” he said quietly, handing her the aspirin. “Take these and drink up.” She popped the pills in her mouth before grabbing the glass of water and drinking most of it.

“Thank you,” she said, handing him back the glass. “What happened? Why am I here?”

‘She doesn’t remember, does she?’ he thought, frowning. ‘What do I tell her?’

“What’s the last thing you remember?” he asked, running his hand over her hair.

“I remember Faith leaving with some guy and me stumbling out of the club,” she answered. “But that’s about it.”

“I was outside and saw you walking out, so I stepped in and brought you here,” he said. “I didn’t think Joyce would like you walking home alone, especially as drunk as you were.”

“Did anything happen, though?” she asked sadly, looking up at him.

“No, nothing happened,” he answered. “We talked, I brought you here, and you crashed on my bed.”

“Where were you?” she asked curiously.

“I slept on the couch,” he shrugged. “Thought it’d be easier for you. And I didn’t fancy you smacking me when you woke up.” She managed a small smile and looked away. “Why would you think that something happened? Because something happened with you and Angelus when you were drunk?” Her eyes widened.

“How did you know that?” she asked. He looked at her, frowning.

“Because you told me all about it last night,” he answered. She blushed, looking down.

“What did I tell you?” she asked quietly, angry that she couldn’t remember and that she had told him about the situation in the first place.

“That he got you drunk and slept with you,” he answered, trying to stay calm, even though he was becoming angry again at the mere thought of another man touching her, let alone sleeping with her when she was drunk and probably didn’t consent to it.

“I was drunk to begin with,” she said, closing her eyes. “It’s my fault, not his.” He raised an eyebrow.

“Yes, it is his fault,” he said sternly. “He shouldn’t have taken advantage of you like that, Buffy.” She looked at him.

“Don’t talk about things you don’t understand,” she said firmly, managing to stand up. He got up, too, and blocked the door. “Move, Spike. I need to go home.”

“No, you don’t,” he said. “I called Willow and had her call your mum to tell her that you stayed there last night so that Joyce wouldn’t be worried about you.”

‘He did that for me?’ she thought, surprised. ‘He really must care.’

“Spike, just let me leave,” she said, grabbing the doorknob. He put his hand on hers and looked into her eyes.

“I can’t let you stay with a guy like him, pet,” he said. “I can’t watch you be hurt.”

“Why? You did it to me once- was that too hard to watch, too? Because maybe you shouldn’t have done it then,” she said, pulling her hand away from his. “I have to go. I need to rest and get ready for the dance tonight.”

“If I see him there, I’m stepping in,” Spike said, his gaze intense.

“If you come near him, you’ll have to deal with me, and you know I have so much blackmail against you that I could ruin you for life,” Buffy said sharply, crossing her arms.

“Yeah? Give me an example,” he said, looking at her, intrigued.

“You cry during ‘Casper’,” she said, grinning mischievously. His eyes widened. “Let me leave.”

“I’m not kidding- I’m going to have a nice chat with him if he shows up with you tonight.”

“And I’ll tell the whole school that you wet the bed until you were seven,” she replied. His jaw dropped, his anger raging even more inside of him.

“I did not!” Spike said loudly.

“Yeah, but people would believe me,” she said, smiling at him. “Don’t come near him or me tonight. Got it?” He shook his head and slowly opened the door for her.

“You know I’m not going to let him keep you without a fight,” he said, looking at her. She sighed and nodded.

“I know,” she replied. “But you’re not going to win.” He watched her walk downstairs and through the front door.

“That bloody bint is going to be the death of me,” he said quietly.

* * * * *

When Buffy got home, she was thankful that her mom had already left for work. Walking up to her room, she grabbed her cordless phone before going into her bathroom and drawing a bath for herself. After pouring in liberal amounts of bubble bath and getting settled in the tub, she dialed Willow’s phone number, deciding that telling her friend the truth about things would alleviate a lot of the worry swirling around inside of her. After Willow answered, Buffy took a deep breath and tried to sound upbeat.

‘God knows she’s already jumping to conclusions about things,’ she thought. ‘I know I would be, too.’

“Hi, Willow,” Buffy said quietly. Willow was surprised to hear her friend’s voice but was glad to hear that she was okay.

“Buffy!” Willow replied. “Is everything okay? Spike said you were fine, but the fact that he was the one telling me that really threw me off. What happened?!”

“I got drunk at the Bronze, and Spike took me home with him,” she answered. “I don’t remember any details, but he kept me there so Mom wouldn’t find out I was drunk. That’s why he enlisted your help…did my mom believe you?”

“I think so,” Willow answered, frowning. “I told her that we went to the Bronze and that you fell asleep at my house. She was worried, but I think after talking to me, she stopped being so panicked…I don’t like lying to your mom, Buffy.”

“I know,” Buffy said quietly. “But I can’t thank you enough for it. You and Spike really saved my ass last night.”

“And not that I mind helping you because I really don’t, but you need to be careful,” Willow replied. “Buffy and alcohol have always been unmixy things, and I’m afraid something’s going to happen one day if you push it too far.”

‘Something did happen,’ Buffy thought, instantly remembering that Spike knew the story behind her first time with Angelus. ‘I really need to stop drinking.’

“I know,” Buffy said finally. “I’m going to try to be better, Willow, I really am. I just need to figure things out for myself.”

“And I’ll help you any way that I can,” Willow promised, getting Buffy to smile.

“Friends forever, right?” she asked, happy that things were starting to seem better for her, even though the Angel and Spike situation was still looming around her. Willow’s voice cut into her thoughts, affirming Buffy’s worries about their friendship.

“Forever,” Willow agreed.
* * * * *







A/N We want to thank everyone who voted for Twice Upon a Time as Best Spuffy Fic this week- it means a lot to us both and we're appreciative of the fact we were nominated in the first place:) And thanks to everyone for their continued support of the story!