Walking into the Bronze in a pair of black pants and a shimmery gold top, Buffy felt more like herself. Confidence seemed to pour from her as she walked toward the bar, spotting Faith chatting with a few different guys.

“Hi,” she said with a nervous smile when Faith turned around to face her.

“Where’ve you been, B?”

“Long story,” Buffy replied. “I broke up with Angelus.”

“Yeah, I heard.”

“You did?” Buffy asked, tilting her head in confusion.

“He kind of told me.”

“Aaah, let me guess…you’ve been screwing him, too.”

“It was after you two had broken up, B. I swear.”

Taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly, Buffy nodded. “You know, I’m not even mad,” she said with a soft smile that was for her own benefit. “You’re more than welcome to him, Faith, but watch out- he’s got a mean backhand.”

Faith’s eyes widened as she realized what Buffy was talking about. “I swear I didn’t know-“

“I didn’t either,” she replied with a shrug. “And even if you and I aren’t friends anymore…or never really were, I don’t want to see you get hurt.”

“We’re not together,” Faith said, shaking her head to emphasize the point. “He came here the night you two broke up and seemed really upset and…”

“And one thing led to another- I get it,” Buffy said with a nod. “I’ll see you around, Faith.”

Before the brunette could say anything else, Buffy disappeared into the crowd of people dancing. Walking toward the door, she breathed a sigh of relief. Another step in rebuilding her life.

Walking through the exit door and into the alley, Buffy almost laughed. ‘You’re not even out of high school and you’re rebuilding your life,’ she thought, shaking her head.

Lost in her own thoughts, she didn’t even see the man in front of her until she had crashed into him.

“Better watch out,” he said, grabbing her shoulders and steadying her. “Something bad could get a hold of you.”

Buffy jerked away from Angelus as he stood before her, giving her a slow smirk. “Something bad already did,” she replied, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Come on, Buff. We can work this out,” he said, reaching out to run a hand along her cheek. It was so familiar that Buffy almost forgot who she was talking to. Feeling his hand on her skin sent her recoiling as she remembered that same hand slapping her a week ago.

“What part of me not wanting to see you again don’t you understand?”

“You didn’t mean that,” Angelus replied, giving her the same charming smile he’d used on her the night that he took her back to his place for the first time.

“I’ve never meant anything more than that,” Buffy shot back, walking around him, wanting to get out of the alley. She didn’t like being alone with him, especially when there was no one else around.

“How’s Captain Peroxide?” he asked, matching strides with her as she walked toward the street.

“He’s fine. How’s your gothic skank?” she asked, her jaw clenching.

Angelus ignored the question, grabbing Buffy’s arm and spinning her around to face him. “I’m going to get you back, Buffy,” he growled, staring at her with eyes clouded with anger. “You belong to me.”

Jerking her arm from his grasp, she glared at him. “I don’t belong to anyone. Least of all, you!”

“That’s what you think,” he replied in a menacing whisper before turning and walking back to the club.

Buffy stayed where she was for several long moments, trying to control her shaky breathing. Absentmindedly rubbing her arm where Angelus grabbed her, she turned and began walking home, reprimanding herself for not asking someone to go with her tonight.

* * * * *

When Buffy finally approached her house, she was surprised to see Spike sitting on the front porch swing.

“Hey,” she said, giving him a soft smile as she sat down next to him. “What are you doing here?”

“I wanted to stop by and see you,” he replied, frowning when he looked at her.

Buffy averted her eyes, nervously fidgeting under his unwavering gaze.

“Your mum wasn’t home, so I thought I’d wait out here,” he continued in a quiet voice, studying her carefully, taking in every gesture as she shifted in her seat and tucked her hair behind her ear. “Where were you?”

“Out,” she replied automatically, not even needing to look at him to know that he was raising an eyebrow in her direction.

“Is there something I should know?” he asked, tilting his head to look at her.

“Spike, we’re not together,” Buffy said in exasperation, standing up and pacing the porch as he leaned forward, clasping his hands in front of him. “I don’t need you checking up on me.”

“I wasn’t checking up on you,” he replied with an edge to his voice, standing up to face her. “I wanted to drop off an early Christmas gift for you. I figured that was what friends were supposed to do. Merry Christmas, Buffy.”

She jumped when she felt something soft pressed into her hands before Spike turned and walked toward his car. Looking down at the plushy object, Buffy gasped when she saw what it was- Mr. Gordo.

“Spike, wait!” she called, running down the path and throwing herself into his arms when he turned around. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry for everything. I went to the Bronze tonight. I had to sever old ties, and I ran into Angelus.” She could feel him stiffen and pull back to look at her.

“Are you alright, luv?”

“I’m fine,” she murmured, avoiding his gaze. “He just tried to shake me up, and I guess it worked a little bit because I didn’t mean to take it out on you.” She paused, looking down at the stuffed animal. Buffy smiled as she hugged it to her chest. “I thought you gave him to her,” she whispered, tears coming to her eyes.

“I would never do that,” Spike said softly, tilting her head up to look at him. “I just wanted something that reminded me of you.”

“Thank you. Thank you so much.”

Spike smiled when she hugged him again, wrapping his arms securely around her and pressing a kiss to the top of her head. “No need to thank me, luv. I should have told you the truth from the beginning and not let you believe that I would give him to Dru.”

Stiffening at the mention of his ex-girlfriend, Buffy pulled away but kept a smile firmly on her face as she looked at the pig, slowly turning to look at Spike again. “Thank you for making my night better…for making everything better.”

“I wish I could do some things right for a change,” he said, shoving his hands in his pockets and looking at the ground.

Buffy gently touched his arm, causing him to look up at her. Buffy smiled. “You’re doing a lot of right things.”

“I am?” he asked, looking at her in surprise as her smile brightened.

"Well...there's a first time for everything."