The next few weeks passed quickly for the couple, and time definitely helped their relationship flourish once again. Whatever trust issues Buffy once had were almost completely absent, and thankfully, Angelus didn’t try contacting her again after prom.

‘Looks like he’s out of my life for good,’ she thought as she reflected on the past year. She looked in her mirror after zipping up her pastel pink sundress and sliding on sandals. She curled her hair, put on a minor amount of make-up, and left her house with her mother, holding her cap and gown in her hands. ‘I can’t believe I’m graduating today.’

“It seems like the last four years flew by, doesn’t it?” Joyce asked, looking at her daughter as she drove to the high school. Buffy nodded, smiling. “My little girl’s all grown up.”

“But I’m still your little girl,” Buffy replied, trying to appease her mother. Joyce laughed and pulled into the high school’s parking lot.

“I’m proud of you, Buffy,” Joyce said after parking the car. “You’ve dealt with so much in your life, primarily with men. First your father, then William, then that Angelus character…”

“Yes, I know my bad track record,” Buffy said as her mother trailed off. “I’m working on improving it.”

“I know you are, honey,” she replied, looking at her daughter. “And that was my point. You could let so many opportunities in life pass you by because some things in your past haven’t gone well, but you’re not letting anything stop you or get in the way, and I’m proud of you for that. You’re a strong young woman who knows what she wants and is doing her best to make things happen. You’re the best daughter a mother could hope for, and I’m thankful that you’ve grown up to be such an amazing woman.” Buffy felt a tear roll down her cheek before she hugged her mother. Joyce smiled and blinked away tears before pulling away. “Now, we’re both wearing mascara, so let’s not make a mess of our faces.” Buffy laughed and wiped off her cheek. “And we can’t have you be late for your graduation. Let’s get a move-on.” They got out of the car and walked towards the building. “I can’t believe you’ll be off to college in a couple of months.”

“Mom, I’m going to UC-Sunnydale,” Buffy replied, raising an eyebrow. “I’m only a few miles away.”

“I know,” Joyce said. “I’m just a concerned parent.” Buffy smiled softly. “I’m going to go claim a seat outside, so I’ll let you go on ahead to be with your friends.” She kissed her daughter’s cheek and walked away. Buffy took a deep breath before looking around and spotting Willow, Cordelia, Oz, and William. Sam, Riley, and Xander were off to the side, already in their caps and gowns. Buffy walked over to Willow and William, surprised when Willow embraced her tightly.

“Willow…can’t breathe,” Buffy managed to get out, smiling. Willow backed off, grinning.

“We’re going to be rooming together!” Willow said excitedly. Buffy’s eyes widened as she hugged Willow. “I know! How cool is that?!”

“Well, then it’s good Red already knows me because I plan on being with you all of the time,” William said, wrapping his arm around Buffy’s waist. She giggled as he nuzzled his face into her neck.

“I just don’t understand why you’re going to stay here,” Buffy said, looking at Willow. “You could go anywhere. Every college in the world would die to have you.”

“And leave my best friend? I don’t think so, buddy,” Willow replied, smiling. “And besides, everyone else is staying. Oz and William are going to be there, and Xander will still be in town…Cordelia’s heading out to L.A., but big loss there.”

“Standing right here,” Cordelia cut in, glaring at Willow.

“I was just kidding,” Willow replied, smiling. “But my point is, everyone will be close, and if I had left, I wouldn’t have been, and far be it for me to set up shop somewhere else when everyone I care about is here.”

“So, roomie, when can we start buying dorm decorations?” Buffy asked cheerfully.

“After we get our diplomas, luv,” William replied, chuckling. “We have to be outside in about five minutes.”

“Fine, spoil my fun,” Buffy said, frowning playfully.

They all put on their caps and gowns before heading outside to where the ceremony would be. William and Willow sat on both sides of her, and as the ceremony began, Buffy realized it was the end of an era, that everything was going to change after they left that day.

‘But it’s a new beginning,’ she thought. ‘And I think we’ve all earned that.’ William took her hand in his and squeezed it gently, and she smiled at him. ‘Especially him and I.’

* * *

After festivities ended for the day, Buffy, William, and Joyce returned to the Summers house as the sun began to set, and the young couple sat out on the front porch swing. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder, and she rested her head on his chest, sighing.

“Things seem perfect right now,” she said quietly. “Don’t you think?” He nodded and ran his hand over her hair.

“That they do,” he agreed. “So, luv, what now?” She looked at him. “What happens from here?”

“I don’t know,” she answered, laying her head down again. “But right now, let’s just live in the moment. We’ve got all of the time in the world to think about the future.” He smiled as she yawned. “William? Tell me a story.”

“A story?” he asked, surprised. She nodded. “Why?”

“Because you were always the creative one, and I’m sleepy,” she answered, smiling softly.

‘And I love hearing your voice,’ she thought.

“Okay, princess,” he replied, thinking for a moment. “Once upon a time-” She shook her head, and he looked at her, his eyebrow raised. “No?”

“Twice,” she corrected simply.

“What?” he asked in confusion.

“Once is too easy,” she said with a shrug. “Taking a second look is what makes anything worthwhile. It makes you realize what you have.”

Spike smiled at her logic, pulling her closer to him and letting her snuggle up against his chest more. “Twice upon a time…”



THE END







A/N We’d like to thank everyone who has supported us and reviewed since the beginning of this story- your continuous interest has been extremely appreciated by both of us! We’d also like to thank those who voted for us as Best Spuffy Fic a couple of weeks ago. After being so skittish to post this fic, we both are quite proud of the end result and are grateful that you all seem to have enjoyed it just as much as we did writing it. Also, we’d like to thank Sierra for giving us this idea a couple of months ago. Any final comments and questions are welcome, and once again, thank you all for your kindness and support throughout Twice Upon a Time.

Sincerely,

Ashlee and Allison