She slowly turned around to come face-to-face with William.

‘Why today? Why now?’ she asked herself. ‘Can’t I just have one good night without someone ruining it?’

He looked up and down her body, still stunned at how much she had changed.

‘I always knew she had that body,’ he thought. ‘I’ve just never seen her show off so much of it before.’

She was thankful to see that his own transformation had stopped with the still platinum blonde hair.

“Hi,” she said quietly, praying that Angelus would return quickly and whisk her away. “So, you’re back.”

“Yeah,” he replied, putting his hands in his pockets. “You look different.” She nodded, looking around to see if Angelus was any closer to rescuing her. “Took a page out of my book, eh?” She looked at him, an eyebrow raised and her arms crossed.

“What does that mean?” she asked. He noticed that her eyes were glassy.

‘She’s drunk,’ he thought, yet again shocked by how different she had become. ‘What happened to her?’

“It just means that I changed my look, and apparently, you did, too,” he said, trying to mask his concern for her.

“Girls change their style all of the time,” she said, turning her back to him.

“So why’d you do it then?” he asked, somewhat hurt by the fact that she had turned away from him.

“Because I wanted to try something new,” she answered. “I happen to like the revamped Buffy, thank you very much.” He smiled slightly and frowned as a brunette girl came outside, dressed similarly to Buffy.

“Hey,” Faith said, handing Buffy her purse. “Don’t want to forget this.” Buffy smiled at the girl.

“Thanks,” she said, taking her bag and getting even more anxious for Angelus to come back.

“So, who are you, blondie?” Faith asked William, not wanting to point out that Buffy had told her all about him already, an act which Buffy greatly appreciated.

“I’m Spike,” he said, extending a hand to the brunette. Both girls raised an eyebrow.

‘What? Is he joking?’ Buffy thought, staring at him.

“You changed your name?” she asked, watching as Faith shook his hand.

“Dru gave it to me,” he said quietly, choosing not to look at his ex-girlfriend.

‘Oh, isn’t that just adorable,’ she thought, frowning.

“I’m Faith,” her friend finally said. “Well, I’ll let you go on ahead, B, and I’ll call you tomorrow.” Buffy nodded and watched as Faith went back inside.

“So, that girl’s your friend?” he asked, tilting his head as he looked at Buffy.

“Yeah. Do you have a problem with her?” she asked defensively, glaring at him. He raised his hands in surrender.

“No,” he answered. “I just wouldn’t expect you to be friends with a girl like her.”

“Yeah, well, expect the unexpected,” Buffy said, turning away from him again. “It’s not like you know who I am anymore, Spike.” He cocked an eyebrow and nodded, looking away as clenched his jaw.

“So, the new version of Buffy is bitchy,” he said. “Good to know.” She turned around, staring at him.

“Yeah? And what the hell is up with the name ‘Spike’?” she asked. “You sound like an inmate.” She giggled to herself. “Do you have a heart tattoo with ‘Mom’ written inside it? Or better yet, it would be ‘Mum’, wouldn’t it?” She continued to drunkenly laugh as Angelus finally pulled up. He got out of the car and walked over to the two blondes.

“Ready to go, Buffy?” he asked, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. Spike tried to control his jealousy, fighting off the urge to punch the brunette man.

‘Why is he touching her?’ he thought. ‘No one should touch her…but she’s not yours anymore, you ponce, because you let her go. For the girl who’s still inside the club and probably hasn’t even realized that you left the table yet.’

Angelus looked at him and extended a hand.

“Angelus O’Connor,” he said, and Spike hesitantly shook his hand, making sure to squeeze it as tightly as he could.

“Spike Giles,” he said, glaring slightly at the taller man.

“Nice to meet you,” Angelus said, smirking at him.

The door opened behind Spike, and he was surprised to see Drusilla standing there suddenly. Buffy looked at the girl maliciously.

“Well, hello, Buffy,” Dru said, looking at her. “I like your outfit. I used to have a top like that.”

‘Why am I not surprised?’ Buffy thought, leaning into Angelus’ side more.

“Thanks,” she replied, managing an insincere smile at the other girl. “Well, it was good to see you two again, but we need to head off. See you at school.” Angelus took her hand in his and led her towards his car, helping her get in before driving away. Spike watched the car speed off with a concerned and angry look on his face.

“Come on, precious Spike,” Dru purred at him, linking her arm with his. “Let’s go back inside.” He nodded and followed her in, all the while worried about Buffy.

* * * * *

When Buffy woke up the next morning, she raised an eyebrow when she saw an arm draped over her side. She froze when she realized that both her and whoever she was with were naked. She looked around the unfamiliar room and felt nauseous.

‘What’s going on?’ she thought, trying to sit up but failing as the effects of her hangover kicked in. She lay back down, shutting her eyes as the pounding headache that had suddenly developed was now threatening to make her throw up. She saw that there were beer bottles and other empty liquor bottles scattered around and narrowed her eyes at them. ‘Of course- I just had to drink last night.’ She groaned quietly as her head began to hurt even more. ‘Why did I drink so much in the first place?’ She slowly turned over to look at the person beside her. ‘Angelus?’ She began to feel even sicker as she realized she was unable to remember what had happened the night before. ‘Oh god, what have I done?’

Slowly pushing herself out of bed, Buffy grabbed a nearby blanket, wrapping
it around herself in a modest attempt to cover her nudity. Trying to ignore
the pounding in her head as she gathered her clothes, she froze when she saw
a movement out of the corner of her eye.

“Where are you rushing off to, baby?”

“I, um…I figured I should go ahead and leave…you might have an early day,”
she added nervously.

Angelus rolled over, looking at the clock on his nightstand. “It’s already
past ten. Stay. I’ll make us some breakfast,” he said with a smile.

Buffy was about to decline the offer when she felt herself pulled back down
to the bed. Tensing up with the uneasiness of the situation, she gave him a
soft smile when he attempted to take things further.

“I should really go,” she whispered, turning her head as he tried to kiss
her.

“No. I’m up,” he replied, recognizing her nervous signals and sitting up in
bed, running a hand over his face. ‘I’ll just have to be more careful about
getting this one in my bed again,’ he thought, hiding his smirk. ‘Give her
a little bit of romance.’

“What do you want for breakfast?” he asked.

“I’m really not all that hungry,” Buffy said, avoiding his gaze as she
clutched the blanket even tighter.

“Get dressed and I’ll make us some coffee.”

Buffy blushed when he got out of bed, not at all concerned with his nudity.

“I had fun last night,” Angelus continued. “I’d like to do it again
sometime.”

“I-I don’t know, Angel. I mean…you seem like a nice enough guy, but I just
don’t think I’m ready for…this kind of relationship.”

Breathing a sigh of relief when she saw him slipping on a pair of
sweatpants, Buffy moderately relaxed.

“Well, last night was a bit rushed for me, but I was thinking we could see
each other in a non-alcoholic sense,” he replied with a charming smile,
designed to melt any woman’s heart.

Buffy worried her bottom lip for a long moment as she thought about what
he’d said. “You don’t strike me as the type of guy who wants a
relationship,” she finally said softly.

“I wasn’t,” Angelus said, keeping his smile firmly in place. “Until you
came along.”

He watched as Buffy blushed, looking at the floor.

‘And because I’d rather be getting it from you than half the girls in this
town,’ he thought with a secret smirk, walking toward the kitchen.

Buffy quickly ran for the bathroom, dressing in the clothes she’d worn the
night before and looking at herself in the mirror. Last night she felt like
a temptress. Just another girl out to have a good time. In the harsh light
of day, she felt like a slut. Staring at the form-fitting corset and leather
pants, not to mention her teased hair, no doubt a result from what they’d
been doing just hours before, Buffy felt the sudden urge to get sick.

She was on the pill and she vaguely remembered seeing a condom wrapper on
the nightstand, so at least that gave her a small sense of relief, but not
the fact that she slept with a man she barely knew. She wasn’t that type of
girl. She and William had lost their virginity to each other when they were
fifteen, which was extremely young, but they’d been dating for over a year
and it seemed like it was time.

She definitely didn’t meet strange men and go back to their apartments.
Seeing a black shirt on the back of the door, Buffy grabbed it and eagerly
buttoned it over the corset, providing a much needed sense of modesty. The
shirt was massive on her, but she felt more secure as she rolled up the
sleeves so they didn’t cover her hands.

Taking a deep breath, Buffy opened the door, slowly walking down the hall to
the fresh smell of coffee.

“Morning,” Angelus said with a bright smile.

“You seem more awake,” she commented, trying to smile as she took a seat at
the counter.

“Coffee helps,” he replied, offering her a mug.

“Thanks,” she murmured, looking into the bitter liquid and grimacing before
taking a long swallow and feeling her stomach roll in response.

“Good?”

“Can I have some water?”

Angelus smiled, offering a glass that was ready for her, along with two
pills.

Buffy eagerly took them and drained the glass.

“I really would like to see you again,” he said with a gentle smile.

‘It’s time to move on, it’s time to move on…’

“I’d love to.”

* * * * *

Grateful that Angelus was letting her borrow his shirt, Buffy stepped out of
his car after giving him his requested kiss. She waved as he pulled away
before turning to the house, never so happy that her mother was out of town.

Walking toward the front door, Buffy felt her heart nearly stop in her chest
when she saw Spike leaning against the front door, taking in her appearance.

“What are you doing here?” she asked, digging in her purse for her keys.

“Looking for you.”

Glancing at him before quickly looking away, Buffy jerked the keys out of
her purse. “Have you been here all night?”

“No,” he replied, stepping aside as she unlocked the door and turned back to
him. “Less than an hour.”

“What do you want, William?”

“It’s Spike.”

“Whatever.”

Spike sighed, glancing down at his feet as he shoved his hands in the
pockets of his duster. “Did you sleep with him?”

Buffy’s eyes narrowed as anger clouded her vision. “Where the hell do you
get off asking me that?! You’ve been fucking another girl for seven months,
and you’re asking me about my sex life?! You have a lot of nerve, Spike!”

“You can do better,” he replied quietly.

“Really?” she asked, crossing her arms over her chest. “Who?”

“What?”

“Who the hell is better, Spike? What guy, in your expert opinion, is better
for me? I want a name.”

Looking down at the ground, Spike searched his brain for an answer before
raising his eyes to hers. “No one…no one is good enough for you,” he
whispered.

“So…in other words…I can’t do better. In that case, I think I’ll take my
chances with the guy who wants to be with me.”

“You shouldn’t be with someone just because they want to be with you.”

“Yeah? You’re a fucking expert on that subject,” Buffy said through
clenched teeth. Walking through the door, she turned and saw the
crestfallen look on his face before taking a deep breath.
“Goodbye…William.”