~*~ Chapter 18 - Expectations ~*~


The next day, Connor had to go back to work, as did Dawn. Dawn made some arrangements with Martha to have a free hour in the afternoon so she could go with Buffy to the solicitor’s office and organize the transfer of the money. Besides, it was better for Dawn to be represented by her sister who was of legal age.

As for Cordelia, she couldn’t resist of doing some shopping before they left.

Spike and Angel stayed at the hotel. Spike would have love going out and enjoy a walk in the sun, but a part of him was reluctant to leaving Angel alone in the shadow at the hotel. He didn’t really need another reason to brood.

So they were sitting in the bar, having a drink like normal people.

“I think the waitress likes you,” Angel said with a nod to the girl who had been serving them.

Spike didn’t even look in her direction. “Too bad for her,” he just replied.

Angel watched him thoughtfully for a moment before saying, “You know what surprises me the most about you? Although, at the same time, I shouldn’t be.”

“What’s that?”

“The way you care about Dawn. You really like her.”

“I love her,” Spike corrected. “She’s like my little sis. I’ve been spending the last two years watching over her, and let me tell you it was no picnic. There was that afternoon, it was the summer Buffy was…not there. I had to spend the entire afternoon listening to that soddin boys band with a daft name. Believe me, it was one of the most painful moment of my entire existence. I swear my poetry was better than what those stupid git were singing. And that says a lot.”

Angel couldn’t repress a smile. “But still, you love her. And you loved her long before having your soul, right?”

Spike frowned. “Yeah…I suppose so. What’s your point, mate?”

“Spike, I know you won’t believe I’m saying this – hell, I don’t believe myself- but you have accomplished an incredible journey. You deliberately turned to the good side. Ok, maybe at first you didn’t had the choice because of the chip – Buffy told me,” he explained when he saw Spike’s surprised face, “but this chip never forced you to do good, right? It never forced you to fall in love with Buffy, and to get attached to Dawn…or even the Scoobies.”

Spike shifted in his seat, uncomfortable. If the big poofter was starting to throw flowers at him…

“That’s right,” he admitted nonetheless.

“So even if the soul was an incredible – and crazy – gesture, in the end it didn’t change much who you are…who you already were.”

Spike frowns. “What are you saying, that it was unnecessary? Believe me, it was. I did it for Buffy, but for me as well. Last year, I did some things…I will never forgive myself for it. But Buffy did. And she fell in love with me before knowing I had the soul. That’s the thing that matters to me. So yeah, maybe the soul wasn’t necessary for Buffy, but it was for me.”

“What I’m trying to say, Spike, is that what makes us human is our capacity to change, to feel emotions, to choose good over evil. Willingly. And you did all that long before having your soul back. You and I know perfectly well that if I lose my soul, I’m just a cruel, vicious monster. And I’ll always be.”

Spike didn’t answer. What could he possibly reply to that?

Angel sighed. “If this thing happening to you is the Shanshu, I guess that’s because somehow you deserve it more than me.”

Stunned by his statement – by his speech, even – Spike answered, “Maybe, but you’ve been good for over a hundred years. Well, except for that little relapse five years ago…but I’ve been good for what? Two years now.”

“But you chose to be. That’s the whole difference.”

“Even if it was for selfish reason at first? Hoping Buffy would love me back?”

“That’s not really selfish. And you’ve been rather lucky in that department,” Angel added without any trace of resentment.

Spike had a fond smile. “Yeah…she’s the most amazing, incredible…but you know that already.”

“Yeah, I know. And fortunately for me, I’ve got an incredible and amazing woman by my side as well.”

They smiled, understanding each other and the luck they both had. Angel then shifted in his seat and cleared his throat.

“Now, don’t get any ideas, I still don’t like you,” he said, displaying a suddenly severe and serious face.

“Oh, the feeling’s mutual, mate.”

“Good. We’ll just have to stay civilized for the sake of our children then.”

“That’s right.”

“I’m glad this is clear. You want another beer?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The sun had set, and they were ready to leave. Dawn and Connor had come over to the hotel to say their goodbyes. They would need a few more days to settle everything before coming back to Los Angeles.

“Are you sure it won’t be any problem to leave your apartment on such short notice?” Buffy asked.

Dawn and Connor exchanged a look. “Don’t worry,” the young man said, “I’m sure our landlord will be understanding.”

Spike took Dawn in his arms and kissed her on the forehead. “Give me a call when you arrive in L.A and I’ll come to pick you up.”

“Spike, I can take the bus back to Sunnydale, it’s no problem.”

“I’ll come to pick you up,” he repeated in a firm tone. “You may play all grown up, but you’re still my Nibblet.”

She smiled tenderly to him and couldn’t resist the teasing. “Your Nibblet who’s living with her boyfriend.”

“Yeah, that’s the part I’m not very comfortable about. He’d better take good care of you.”

“He does, don’t worry. And I’ll give you a call, then,” she added, hugging him once more. “I’m so glad you’re back and that everything’s good between Buffy and you. You both deserve it,” she whispered in his ear. He kissed her once again before letting his place to Buffy. The two sisters hugged.

“I’ll wait for you to decorate the Christmas tree,” Buffy said, holding back tears. Since when had she become such a fountain?

“You’d better. Thanks for everything, Buffy. I love you.”

She turned to Angel and Cordelia, and Buffy kissed Connor.

“Take good care of her,” she said, but she didn’t doubt he would.

Connor smiled. “I will, promise,” he replied, trying to ignore Spike’s threatening glance.

Connor joined Dawn and put an arm around her waist. He still had reservations towards Angel, but his attitude was much friendlier than when they had arrived.
Spike and Buffy walked to the car, waiting for their friends. Spike was watching the young teenage couple.

“He seems like a decent bloke, and he obviously loves her,” he commented.

Buffy nodded. “It’s so great that things turned out like that. I haven’t seen her that happy since…I don’t even remember. Probably before mom died.”

Spike put a comforting arm on her shoulders and a kiss in her hair. “I must admit they are cute together. They could have their own TV show. Buffy and Angel, the next generation.”

She looked at him, shock on her face. “I can’t believe you just said my name and Angel’s in the same sentence without even flinching.”

He smiled. “Well, Dawn’s not the only one who grew up. Besides, you’re in love with me, not him.”

He looked so sure of him she couldn’t repress a smile.

“That’s right.”

“So, no need for me to stress out.”

She put her arms around his neck and lost herself in his blue eyes. “You know, I like it when you’re jealous, but when you’re confident like that, it really turns me on.”

He pulled her tightly to him and smirked. “I know, baby. I know.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dawn and Connor waved their hands until the car disappeared around the corner. Then they slowly walked back to their apartment.

“I’m so glad about the way things worked out,” she said, squeezing his hand.

He nodded, happy to see her smile. And if he was totally honest, very hopeful about his relationship with Angel. He had been wrong, and Buffy was right. Family was important.

“Aren’t you glad we’re going home?” she asked him.

He stopped, turned to her. “For me, home is where you are, Dawn. And I don’t care where we are, as long as we’re together.”

She melted under his tender gaze, and they kissed right in the middle of the street.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“I’m tired of rough motel sheets,” Buffy complained. “I’ll be glad to be back in our own bed.”

Spike pulled her so she could lay on top of him. “There, baby. Better?”

“Much, much better,” she whispered, nuzzling his neck and trailing kisses on his jaw line. She reached his mouth and they exchanged a slow, languorous kiss.

They had stopped just before sunrise to get some rest, but Buffy had other ideas in mind.

She moved her hips suggestively and was delighted to hear a moan of pleasure coming from him.

“Spike, honey…do you want me?” she asked in a silky and seductive tone.

He grabbed her butt and pressed her against him. “You feel this? This is how I want you, Buffy. I always want you.”

She gave him another passionate kiss and at the same time raised her hips slightly. With a sigh of pleasure, she impaled herself on him. They moved at a slow pace, enjoying the taste and the touch of each other’s bodies. They suddenly gripped each other fiercely, as an intense wave of mind-shattering pleasure swept over them at the same time. She held on tightly as he swelled and finally burst into her. He spoke her name in wonder, relishing into each pulsing throb of his flesh, and an exquisite joy flooded every cell of Buffy’s body. He let escape a groan of intense satisfaction.

For a moment they laid limped, drained and still drifting into some sort of sensual bliss. They stayed in the same position, him still buried inside her warmth. They resumed kissing, sweet, tender kisses. Satiated for the time being, they settled comfortably, not letting one ounce of air pass between them.

“I had a silly thought, earlier,” she said in a sleepy tone.

“What was that, pet?”

“I was wondering, if Dawn and Connor get married, would that make Angel and me some sort or relatives…you know, in-laws or something?”

He chuckled. “Absolutely not. You’ll be kind of related through Dawn and Connor’s children someday. On the other hand, you’ll be related to Angel if you marry me. Considering we are from the same line, vampirely speaking. Not that I brag about it. Oh, and since he’s like my grand-daddy, he will be your grand-daddy-in law. Now that’s an entertaining thought.”

There was a silence then she asked, “Is this another proposal?”

He smiled, caressing her back. “Not the most romantic way or place to propose, don’t you agree? But we’re definitely going there.”

“Good,” she whispered, falling slowly asleep.

He disentangled himself from her for a quick run to the bathroom. He then came back in the bed, covering her body with caresses and kisses.

“Sleep well, my love,” he murmured, putting his head on her stomach.

“ ‘Night,” she replied, caressing his hair, but her hand quickly stilled. She was asleep.

Spike closed his eyes, determined to get some rest.

The minute after, he opened them. He could have sworn…he pressed his ear to Buffy’s stomach delicately, careful not to wake her up. Was that…?
No. He was not a vampire anymore, which meant no vampire hearing. He was probably wrong.

Then again, his body had been functioning again for several weeks now, and he and Buffy had been rather…busy. Without using any protection. But no, it was impossible. Too soon. He was wrong.

His heart hoped he was not.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

They made it to L.A quickly, arriving just before sunset. The hotel was silent, everyone – that is, Gunn and Fred – were probably still sleeping. On her desk, Cordelia found a message from Wesley, asking them to call him as soon as they were back.

They had some breakfast in the kitchen, waiting for 8.00 to call the former Watcher. Gunn and Fred came down, updating Angel and Cordy on the few cases they had taken care of.

Spike sat on the desk counter and Buffy came to nestle between his legs.

“Tired, pet?” he asked, stroking her hair.

She rested her head on his chest and put her arms around his waist. “Yeah. I’m dreaming about a long, good night rest. But we should patrol when we get back.”

“I’ll patrol, you get some rest. Also, I wish you would go see the doctor. Just to make sure everything’s alright.”

Buffy nodded, too tired to protest. “I can’t wait to be home,” she muttered against his shirt.

He smiled.“Hey, didn’t I tell you that you would someday see your place as home?”

She made a face. “It was just a manner of speaking. The only way I can see it as home is because you’re there with me. That’s what home means to me.”

“For me too, sweetheart. I never truly had a home since I’ve been turned. With Dru, we were always with Angelus and Darla and surrounded by minions. The factory was creepy, and the mansion kind of belonged to Angel. So the crypt was the closest thing to home I had.”

“Until I blew it off,” she said sheepishly.

“Technically, Soldier Boy did. You just didn’t stop him.”

“But what was that deal with those eggs anyway? Why did you do such a stupid thing?”

“Well…”

Spike hesitated. It was something he had wanted to tell her for some time, but he wasn’t sure she would believe him. And it was part of something he was planning to surprise her with. If everything went as he expected…

“I was stupid,” he said with an apologetic smile.

Wesley arrived at that moment, preventing him to give more explanations to his curious Slayer.

Buffy was very surprised to see how much Wesley had changed. When he was her Watcher, he always looked like he had an umbrella stuck in his ass. The last time she had seen him, almost three years ago, was when there had been the body switching with Faith and she had come to L.A. Faith had tortured Wesley viciously, and he was in a pretty bad shape. Besides, with all that was happening, Buffy hadn’t paid too much attention to him then.

But now she wasn’t sure she would have recognized him. He was really good looking…even sexy.

“Hello, Buffy,” he greeted her with a slight smile.

“Wesley…You look nice,” she said.

Wesley looked at Spike who got off the counter.

“I don’t believe we’ve ever met,” Wesley said, holding his hand to Spike.

“Although I heard a lot about the exploits of William the Bloody…I’m Wesley Wyndham-Pryce.”

Spike grinned, took his hand. “William Atherton-Jones,” he replied with the same tone. Very English. Very stiff.

Wesley frowned, not sure how to react. Was the –former- vampire mocking him?

Buffy elbowed Spike. He looked at her. “Sorry, luv, couldn’t resist. Besides, it’s my real name.”

“It is? You never told me.”

He raised an eyebrow. “You never asked. You can call me Spike,” he told Wesley.

“Is it the Atherton-Jones branch from Suffolk?”

“That’s where the family is originated, yes.”

Wesley smiled. “How funny. I happen to know some of your descendants. It’s a very wealthy and extended family.”

“Oh! Maybe you can claim an inheritance,” Buffy suggested.

“Well, since I’m supposed to be dead for 127 years, I don’t think that will work.”

“You could ask Giles if something can be done about it. The Council is very powerful, as I’m sure you already know. It wouldn’t hurt if they used that power to do something useful.”

Buffy chuckled.

“Besides,” Wes added, “What I’ve discovered here might help you a great deal.”

“Hey Wesley.”

Wesley turned to see Angel and Cordelia arriving from upstairs.

“Hi Angel…Cordy.”

The atmosphere was suddenly a little bit tenser.

“Hi Wesley. Want some coffee?” Cordelia asked with a smile.

Wesley relaxed a little bit. “Yes, thank you.”

He turned to Angel. “Did you find Connor?”

“Yeah. He was living with Buffy’ s sister in Seattle. They are coming back in a few days. I think things are gonna be ok from now on.”

Wesley smiled. “That’s good news. And I think that what I have here will only improve the good mood.”

Cordelia came back with the coffee. “Here you are.”

“Thanks.”

“And now spill. Not the coffee, of course. What did you find out?”