~*~ Chapter 19 – Bright Side of Life ~*~


Wesley leaned on the counter and the others sat around. He showed them his papers.

“Well, this is what I found. As Angel and Cordy know, the prophecies of Aberjian were written in a dozen different languages, some of which aren’t even human. So I’ve been very careful, especially since I had made a little mistake the last time…”

Cordy snorted.

“…and didn’t want to repeat it. Anyway, I took my time to explore it further, and finally found what I think is a valid explanation for what’s happening to Spike.”

“The Shanshu,” Angel said.

“It is, indeed, the Shanshu.”

Cordelia’s face fell. “So if the Shanshu’s happening to Spike, that means it won’t happen to Angel?”

“No, it’s not that. And that’s what I found out. There is a little passage referring to the Order of Aurelius. It doesn’t give any name, of course, but it refers to the male vampires of the Order. The ones with the souls.”

“So it was vampires and souls with an ‘s’ then,” Cordelia noted.

“Yes. The first time I translated this, Angel was the only souled vampire, so I didn’t look any further. Apparently, it concerned Spike as well. In fact, it concerns all the vampires from the Order who will get a soul.”

“So, Spike having a soul was predicted? It was meant to happen?” Buffy asked.

“Yes. But that doesn’t devalue what he did, since he didn’t know.”

“Of course it doesn’t,” Buffy said, taking Spike’s hand with a sweet smile.

“What about the people we sired?” Angel asked.

Spike raised his hand. “I never sired anyone.”

“Well, I’m not proud about it, but I did. So?”

“If they got a soul and turn to the good side, yes, they will become human. But honestly, it’s unlikely to me. You two are…the special kind, apparently.”

Spike squeezed Buffy’s hand. “Or we had the chance to meet special people. What about the strength? I still seem to have it for the moment, but if I lose it, then what? I’ll be useless to Buffy.”

Buffy knew that it was one of the things that had bothered him the most.

“I was getting to that. According to the prophecies, you are warriors. I know, that’s not a big revelation. But the Powers need you to stay that way, to be able to fight. So you are rewarded by becoming human, but you keep your strengths and skills. The fight against evil, unfortunately, never ends. As long as you’re able to fight physically, it will remain your duty.”

Spike shrugged. “Fine with me. At least it won’t get boring that way.”

“But then that means Angel will becoming human as well someday?” Cordelia asked.

“Exactly.”

“How come it takes so much longer for Angel, since he got his soul so long ago?”

“Spike got his soul willingly. Angel was cursed with it. That makes a huge difference.”

“That’s what I thought,” Buffy said.

Angel smiled sheepishly. “And I’m afraid I’ve got a lot more awful things to atone for.”

Cordelia smiled brightly. “Yes, but at least we have hope, now.”

“What about vampire hearing?” Spike asked.

Wesley took a look at his notes. “It’s not specifically mentioned, but it’s part of your skills, so I suppose you keep it.”

“Planning on eavesdropping, Spike?” Cordelia smirked to him.

He smiled. “No. But it can be useful, sometimes,” he said, putting her hand on Buffy’s stomach and rubbing it gently. She smiled at him, but didn’t get the meaning of his gesture.

“Anything on the Nyazian about Connor?” Angel asked Wesley.

“No. I concentrated mostly on the Aberjian, so I’ll dig a little deeper on the Nyazian now. But the last translation I had made didn’t reveal anything new. No big destiny awaiting for him.”

“Thank God for that,” Angel muttered.

Wesley smiled and put his papers on the desk. “All my translations are there, if you wish to have a look.”

Cordelia got up. “I guess we know everything we needed to know. And for once, everybody win this time. That’s a nice change.”

“Thanks for your help, Wesley,” Buffy told him.

“You’re welcome.”

She turned to Angel. “I guess it’s time for us to return to Sunnydale.”

“You’re welcome to stay, if you want,” Angel offered genuinely.

“Thank you, Angel. But I have to go back to work, tomorrow. Spike, can you help me with our things?”

Angel watched them climbing the stairs before turning to Wesley. “Thanks for taking the time to do this. You should…Wesley, you should come back and work with us. At least you would get paid for your efforts.”

Wesley smiled. “I’ll think about it. I miss working with you, I admit. I was afraid it would be too awkward…uncomfortable.”

“Let’s make it a clean start, okay? Think about it and let me know.”

“I’ll do that.”

They shook hands, smiling, and then Wesley left.

Angel went to Cordelia, took her in his arms and gave her a passionate kiss. She put her arms around his neck and let loose a laugh.

“Looks like my fat, brooding vampire is happy, today,” she said with a loving smile.

“I’ve got every reason to be, starting with the beautiful woman I’m holding in my arms.”

They kissed again, then Cordelia broke it off, needing to breathe. “I hope you’ll Shanshu fast, mister, cause I’m getting a little impatient, here.”

“Me too,” he whispered in her ear, pressing her suggestively against him.

They reluctantly let go of each other when they heard Buffy and Spike coming back with their bags. Judging by Buffy’s shining eyes and flushed cheeks, they had apparently celebrated the good news as well.

Spike took their bags and brought them in the car. Buffy and Cordelia hugged.

“Say goodbye to Gunn and Fred for us.”

She turned to Angel and they hugged as well. “Let’s not wait another year to see each other, this time, ok?”

He smiled. “We won’t. And we have a good excuse to stay in touch, now. Anytime you and Spike want to come to see Dawn…don’t hesitate.”

“Promise.”

They hugged again and Buffy whispered. “I’m glad that things turned out that way. I’m glad you’re happy.”

“Same here.”

Spike came back and hugged Cordelia.

“Bye, Spike. Take care of your stomach,” she told him with a teasing smile.

He smirked and held his hand to Angel. “Angel…”

“Spike…”

The greetings were much friendlier this time.

“Take good care of Buffy or I’ll rip your throat out.”

“Yeah, yeah. You should really consider that diet I told you about, mate. Bye.”

Well, maybe friendlier was too strong a word.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dawn was closing the last bag when Connor came back. He had gone warn the landlord of their departure and give the key back.

“So? How did it go?”

“How do you think?” Connor asked her with an ironic smile.

“Well then. Everything is packed. I’m ready to leave if you are.”

Connor looked around him. “I never liked that apartment, but I’ll never forget it. I’ll never forget the time we spent here.”

She came to him, slipped in his arms. “Me neither. Whatever may have happened, this whole adventure will remain one of my best memories.”

“Same here. My only regret is leaving Nick and Derek. But they said they would visit us as soon as they can.”

“And I’m taking the memory of Miss Annigan with me.”

He kissed her forehead, let her go and took two of their bags while Dawn took the third one. With a last glance, they closed the door behind them, ready and confident of the future waiting for them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When she left her work that afternoon, Buffy went directly to he supermarket at the corner of the street. She knew exactly what she needed.

Since they had come back two days ago, Spike had insisted she take an appointment to the doctor. But Buffy was starting to have serious suspicions about the ‘sickness’ she was suffering from.

She came back home and locked herself in the bathroom.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When Spike came back, there was no one in the apartment. Or so it seemed.

“Buffy? Sweetheart?”

The bathroom’s door opened and Buffy appeared, her cheeks flushed and a little tousled.

“Hey. Are you alright?”

She smiled. A broad smile he had never seen on her face before. A…different smile, if that made any sense.

He frowned. “What’s going on?”

She took his hand. “Come here.”

She led him to the couch and they sit side by side.

“You went to see the doctor, like I told you?”

“In fact, I figured it out by myself.”

“And?”

She was about to spill the big news when she noticed the look on his face. He didn’t look worried. No, he looked expectant and full of hope.
“You know.”

He shook his head, confused now. “I know what? Buffy, stop…”

“You know what’s happening to me.”

“I…well, I was thinking that maybe you were…but then I thought…oh, bloody hell Buffy, say it already!”

“We’re gonna have a baby.”

His smile became as bright as hers. “I was right then? I was bleedin’ right!”

He took her in his arms and kissed her passionately, and she was all too eager to participate. Spike’s reaction had been one of her concerns, but she should have known he would be thrilled.

He took her on his lap, put his hand on her stomach.

“How did you know?” she asked.

He showed his ear. “Vampire hearing. Uh, ex-vampire hearing. That’s why I asked Wesley about it, remember? I was sure I had heard a second heartbeat the night before.”

She slapped his arm. “Why didn’t you tell me anything?”

“Because I was so scared to be wrong. I can’t believe it happened so quickly.”

“Well, I do, considering the amount of time you and me…you know,” she said, blushing like a schoolgirl at the memory of some previous nights.

“I’m so happy. Thank you,” he whispered in her hair.

She put her hand on his face and smiled sweetly. “You did half of the job, mister. And I’m happy too. And totally freaked out. Do you really think we’re ready for this?”

“Hell no. But we’ll manage. We always do.”

She put her head on his shoulder. “I already took an appointment to the gyn…I have to tell my boss at the diners…oh, and Giles!” she straightened, opening wide eyes. “ What about the slaying? And, and this apartment is gonna be way too small! We…”

“Hey, hey, hey, relax. We’ll figure it out. We’ll find solutions. Trust me.”

She calmed down. “I know we will.”

“Stop worrying. It’s not good for you or the baby,” he admonished.

She smiled, her eyes full of love. “Check out mister Dad,” she joked, but she loved his protectiveness – which would probably get even worse now !

“I love you,” she said softly, meeting his blue eyes.

“I love you too. Both of you,” he added, lifting her blouse and kissing her stomach.

She giggled. “I wish we had some champagne to celebrate,” she said.

He got up, lifting her in his arms. “Oh, I know a much better way to celebrate, pet.”

She gave him a mischievous smile. “Does it involve you, me and our bed?”

Spike put her delicately on said bed and her smile quickly vanished to be replaced by sighs of pleasure as soon as Spike’s hand slipped under her skirt and his mouth wandered on her neck and collarbone.

Buffy’s last coherent thought was that Spike was certainly a master at celebration.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When she got back in their room, Dawn found Connor sitting on the bed, near her travelling bag.

“Did you call Spike?” he asked.

“Yes. He will be here in two hours.” She put her bag on the ground and sat next to him.

They had arrived in LA two days ago. Dawn had taken the time to settle their things in one of the rooms that Angel had arranged for them, and then had packed again a small back for her stay in Sunnydale. She already knew it would be a short stay. She loved her sister dearly, but she couldn’t bear to be separated from Connor more than two weeks.

“I’ll miss you,” he said with a sad puppy look on his face.

“Me too, so much. But there’s something I want to show you.”

She went to the dresser, took a piece of clothing from it and showed it to Connor. “Do you know what this is?”

He took it and nodded. “It’s your favourite blue silk blouse. The one your mom gave you on your last birthday before her death.”

“Exactly. And see?” She took the blouse and put it back in the dresser. “I’m leaving it here. Where I intend to find it when I come back.”

She insisted on the last four words, and Connor smiled, understanding what she was doing.

“I get that now. I’m stuck with you forever,” he joked.

She came back next to him, put a soft kiss on his mouth. “And everyday after that,” she whispered.

“When did you say Spike was coming?” he asked, playing with the buttons of her shirt.

“About two hours…depending on the traffic.”

He lay down on the bed, taking her with him. Hoping, not very charitably, that Spike would get stuck in the traffic for long, long hours.