~*~ Chapter 8 - Closeness ~*~

When Spike woke up the second time, he was alone on the couch. One moment he feared this had been all a dream again, but then he saw Buffy's top lying on the floor and knew it was true.

She loved him. He loved her. Everything was perfect.

He sat, wondering where she was. The door opened, answering his question. Buffy appeared, with a little brown bag in her hand.

"Fresh from the butcher," she said, leaning to give him a quick kiss on the mouth.

He followed her in the kitchen. She put the blood in the microwave and started to prepare some breakfast for herself. Spike sat at the kitchen counter, enjoying the pleasure of watching her.

"Thank you, sweetheart," he said when she handed him the warm mug.

She sat beside him and drank some orange juice. She noticed he hadn't drink yet, watching the content of his mug with a strange expression.

"What?" she asked.

"Dunno.this morning it doesn't look that appealing."

He took a sip and made a face. "It doesn't taste appealing either," he said.

"What if you try to mix it with cereals," she asked, trying not to sound too grossed out by the imagery.

He looked at the cereal box then back at his blood.

"The idea itself makes me nauseous. Bollocks," he mumbled, pushing the mug away.

"Maybe you're just not hungry," she suggested.

"After our nice little activities this morning, I highly doubt it," he said, glad to see her blush. "No, it's not a non-hungry thing. It's.I don't know.like it repels me to drink it."

"That's definitely not normal for a vampire. Like the sneeze thing last night."

He made a dismissive gesture. "I'm sure it's nothing. I'll save it for later."

He put the mug in the fridge. "Are you feeling ok?" she asked, a little worried.

"Yeah, I feel great. More than great, actually," he added, coming behind her and nuzzling her neck. She leaned against him, relishing in the scent of him.

A knock on the door interrupted them.

"Bloody hell," muttered Spike, reluctantly letting her girl go so she could answer the door.

"Hey Buffy!" Willow said cheerfully, entering and stopping dead in her track when she saw a shirtless Spike standing in the kitchen.

"Oh.hey Spike."

"Hi Red," he said grinning, enjoying her embarrassment.

Willow turned from him to Buffy. "Should I.come back later?"

Buffy smiled.

"No. As you can guess, Spike spent the night here," she said, earning a 'duh!' look from Willow.

"On the couch," Spike precised, not sure about Buffy's decision on how to tell her friends.

"Where I joined him," she added, both to Spike and Willow's surprise.

"So you know, " she told Willow. "And I hope you're ok with this, cause there's no powers on this earth which will be able to take him from me."

Buffy and Spike exchanged a loving glance and Willow smiled.

"I remember suggesting to Spike not so long ago to sort things out with you.if you're happy, Buffy, then it's all that matters."

"Thanks, Will."

"I went to your house to collect the mail," said the redhead, changing the subject and handing her a bunch of letters.

Buffy had declared her change of address but there was still mail arriving at Revello Drive. And of course there could be.

"Nothing from Dawn," said Willow softly, seeing Buffy checking them.

A cloud came over Buffy's face, but she managed to smile.

"Well, no news means good news, right?" she said, but Spike knew she didn't think a word of it. He really hoped the little bit was fine, for her sake but also for Buffy's.

Buffy let the mail drop on the table and led Willow in the kitchen.

"Do you want something? We were just having breakfast. Or at least I was, because Spike's not in the mood for blood this morning."

"Really? That's kind of strange for a vampire."

"Not especially," he argued. "Are you always in the mood for chocolates and candies?"

Buffy and Willow looked at each other.

"Well, yes," they answered in perfect unison.

Spike rolled his eyes.

"Right, bad example." "He says the simple idea of cereals and blood makes him nauseous," Buffy added.

"Mmm.feeling nauseous early in the morning.maybe you're pregnant," suggested Willow with a teasing smile.

"Haha, Red. Tremendously funny. Got another one like that?"

"I don't find it funny," Buffy said. "And don't forget the sneezing last night."

"The what?" asked an eyes-wide Willow.

"God, Buffy, why don't you put a bloody announcement in the newspaper?"

"You sneezed?" repeated Willow, frowning. "That's definitely not normal."

Buffy gave Spike a pointed look.

"See? Told you. I don't take this lightly."

"Did you call Giles?"

"Not yet. But I intend to, if things like that happen again."

"I can check in some of the books at the Magic Box," Willow offered, " Although I'm not sure what to look for."

"Try 'sneezing vampires with a sudden disgust for blood'."

"This is just bloody ridiculous!" Spike burst out. "First, I was not disgusted. And stop according so much importance to a little sneeze. I probably had something stuck in my nose."

"Thanks for the details, honey," Buffy said, making the same 'eeeeuwww' face as Willow.

He sighed, exasperated. "Ok. You won. I'm gonna take a shower."

He made a dignified exit, ruined by the fact that he stopped and kissed Buffy on the forehead.

Buffy saw Willow smile.

"What?"

"I just imagine Xander's face when he will come back."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dawn wasn't working that day. The sun was bright in the sky and she decided to go to the market. Connor had gone there a few times to deliver fish and he had told her the place was worth it.

It was late morning when she got there. Connor was right, it was really interesting. She bought a few fresh fruits and vegetables and continued her visit, walking toward a very noisy stand, which could only be the fish place where Connor's friends were working. While walking towards the stand, she heard a very familiar voice.

"One flying salmon!" it said.

She walked faster and saw him. Connor was there, smiling and throwing fishes at a guy who would put them on display. He was about to throw another one when he noticed her. He smiled, a smile that made Dawn weak in the knees. He came to her.

"Hey!" protested the fish receiver when he saw Connor leaving his place.

Connor passed him and gave him the fish directly without taking his eyes away from Dawn. He finally arrived to her and kissed her deeply, careful not to touch her with his dirty hands.

"Ok! Way to go, man!" said one of the guys laughing while the others clapped or whistled.

Connor stopped kissing Dawn and looked at her. "Hi. That's a nice surprise."

"Yes, it is," she said for his ears only, with a loving smile on her face.

"Hey Con! Aren't you going to introduce us?" asked the receiver, who was now standing next to them.

"Dawn, this is Nick. Nick, this is my girlfriend Dawn," presented Connor.

"And what about us?" yelled somebody behind the counter.

Connor introduced them all before turning back to Dawn. "Do you have time for lunch?" asked Connor. "Nick, Derek and I were planning to grab something, if you want to come."

Dawn took a step towards him and kissed him again, caressing his cheek with her hand. He was looking so incredibly happy, sexy and lovely right now that she couldn't help it.

"No, thanks," she declined. "I'll let you go with your friends."

He looked disappointed. "You're sure?"

"Yeah! You'll have a lot more fun without me."

"Connor, ask her for next Sunday," said Nick, interrupting them.

Dawn looked at Connor, intrigued.

"Sunday Derek is organizing a barbecue for the guys and their girlfriends. He wanted to know if we wanted to join them."

"Sure, with pleasure," said Dawn, happy with the offer.

She didn't really have had a chance to make friends yet, since most of the girls at work were jealous of her. So this would be a great occasion to meet people.

"Ok, I let you go back to work, now," she said gently.

"Guess I have to," said Connor, wincing. "I'll see you tonight, chali."

Hearing him call her unexpectedly by the name of the little animal he had loved so much made her heart swell with happiness. She knew it was his way to tell her that he loved her.

"Ok," she said, whispering, "Love you" in his ear.

"Love you too," he whispered back.

He kissed her on the forehead and she left, feeling like floating on a cloud.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

They arrived at the party early that afternoon and it was now getting late. The sun had been down for an hour and Dawn was feeling tired. She wanted to get home, but Connor looked like he had so much fun. He was watching a football game on TV with the other guys. From time to time, he would look at her, probably to make sure she was ok.

The girls had moved into the kitchen and Dawn had followed them. She went back to the living room to see how Connor was, and what she saw disturbed her greatly.

A blond girl wearing a tight and short red dress was leaning against Connor, her hand on his chest, talking to him seductively. Distress and jealousy invaded Dawn's heart. The blond girl was much prettier than her.

When he saw Dawn walked in the living room, Connor sighed with relief. The blond girl was hitting on him big time and he didn't know what to do with her. As soon as he saw Dawn, he got away from the girl and came to her, smiling. He took her in his arms and kissed her forehead.

"Please tell me how to get rid of her?" he asked Dawn quietly.

"You just did," answered Dawn, smiling at the furious face the girl was displaying now. "I'm tired, Connor. I would like to go home."

"Me too. I'll tell Derek and the others."

They said their goodbyes and walked out of the door.

The walk back home was long, about forty-five minutes, but Dawn enjoyed the time she was spending with Connor. They were talking quietly when Connor suddenly stopped walking and listened to the sounds around him.

"We're being followed," he said quietly. "Come."

He brought them to an alley and gently pushed Dawn behind a trash container to hide her. "Stay there, and don't move."

He walked away and Dawn could hear voices.

"What have we here?" said someone.

"Leave me alone!" hissed Connor. "You don't want to mess with me."

"Oh, I think I do."

Dawn heard sound of fighting. She got out of her hiding place and saw Connor fight with.a vampire.

She was surprised to see how well Connor was fighting him. But two others were now coming dawn the alley and it might become a little bit too overwhelming for him. She looked around and noticed a broken chair. She broke two of the legs away and ran to Connor and the upcoming vampires.

"Connor!" she yelled. "Catch this!" and she threw him one of the improvised stake.

Connor caught it and quickly staked his vampire. Turning to the other two, he mad a very loud and feral hiss. Dawn stood next to him, taking a fighting stance, waiting for the vampire to attack. To her surprise, Connor initiated the attack. Both vampires were suddenly so busy they didn't pay attention to her and she saw her chance. With her stake, she stabbed one of the vampires in the back, piercing his heart at the same time Connor dusted the other one.

The second after, there was only dust left.

Panting with the exertion and the adrenaline rush, Connor and Dawn looked at each other, surprised.

"You know about." they both began to say at the same time.

They laughed, releasing some of the tension.

"You first," said Dawn.

"You know about vampires?"

"Yes. And apparently so do you," noted Dawn. "Where did you learn to fight them?"

"My father showed me how. You?"

"My sister did."

"Your sister.she kills vampires too?"

"Uh, yes. She's kind of a professional vampire killer.that sounds crazy, I know."

"No, it doesn't. My father does the same kind of job."

"Oh.well, maybe they know each other, if they're.colleagues," said Dawn, but she had never heard Buffy talking about a man killing vampires, beside Giles, of course, and Angel. But they had nothing to do with Connor.

"I doubt it," Connor said, thinking that if Dawn's sister had ever met his father she would have stake him on the spot. Angel and Dawn' sister would probably never get along very well!

Neither one of them seemed willing to give more details, and there was a short but embarrassing silence.

He took her hand.

"Well I'm glad you know how to fight them," he simply said.

And they resumed their walk home.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Buffy came back rather late from work, that night. Spike was not there, but he had left a note saying he would spend the night at his crypt and would see her in the morning.

Highly disappointed, Buffy sat on the couch. All evening she had look forward to coming home to him. She had forgotten he was not really living with her. And now that apartment looked even more sinister than usual, without his presence. She should have told him, before going to work, that he could stay here. He belonged here, with her.

Feeling cold and lonely, she took a quick shower and slipped into her bed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

She was awoken by a firm body spooning against hers, a tender mouth on her shoulder and at the sensitive spot on her neck. She sighed with pleasure.

"Hey, baby," whispered Spike in her ears. "I came just before sunrise. Couldn't stay away from you any longer."

She turned in his arms, kissing him.

"I missed you last night," she said, breathing hard because his hands had sneaked under her shirt and were caressing her breast with expertise.

"Spike." she moaned, lost in the sensations.

He chuckled softly, ravaging her with his mouth and his hands.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

So from that day, Spike moved slowly but surely into Buffy's apartment. He spent less and less time at his crypt, using it only the nights Buffy was working late, and even then he would be back at her place before sunrise. Every minute spent away from each other was a torture for both of them. They patrolled most of the time together, rarely alone because then the other was too worried.

They were also hoping everyday for some news from Dawn, but always in vain. At least Buffy had a comforting arm and shoulder to cry on. But aside from that, she was feeling more happy and alive that she had ever felt.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

One evening, Spike was watching TV, waiting for Buffy to come back from work. Feeling hungry, he prepared a mug of blood. That weird feeling about blood had not disappeared. He could drink it, but didn't enjoy it anymore. He had kept that to himself, though, mostly because he was starting to wonder if it could have anything to do with his new soul. And Buffy didn't know it yet. So he had decided to wait and see how things were evolving.

The phone rang and he picked it up without thinking.

"Hello?"

There was a silence, then a voice said,

"Spike?"

"Yeah. Hi, Harris."

"What the hell are you doing there?" Xander asked with clear anger in his tone.

"I live here," Spike answered, matter-of-factly, but with an evil light in his eyes.

This is going to be so good, he thought.

"What are you talking about? This is Buffy's place."

"I know," Spike said, savoring the words. "We're living together."

He heard a thumping sound on the other end of the line.

"Harris? You still there?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Buffy came back a few moments later only. Spike was on the couch, looking like the cat that had just caught a mouse. She frowned.

"What happened?" she asked.

"Xander called," he said with a smirk.

"Oh God.what did you tell him?"

He shrugged.

"The truth.that we were living together."

"Oh God," she repeated. "What did he say?"

"Nothing. I think he fainted," Spike said, his smirk widening.

"And I bet you enjoyed every minute of this, didn't you?" she asked with a reproachful glance, but he could tell she was not really mad.

"You know me so well, baby."

He got up. "I thought you wanted him to know, about us."

"Not like that," she sighed. "I'll call him back. Assuming he's not already on his way to Sunnydale to kick your ass."

"Ooooh, I'd better go hide under the bed, then," said Spike with a fake face of terror.

Buffy dialed Xander's number. Fortunately, he was still there.

"Hey Xander, it's me. I think I've got some explaining to do."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dawn was terrified.

When she had finished work at 6 pm, she had walked to the pier to get Connor. Unfortunately, he was not there, and his boss had told her he would keep Connor late that night. So Dawn walked back home, alone, in the pouring rain. By the time she got home, she was drenched and frozen to the bone.

She took a long shower to warm herself up and changed into warm comfortable clothes. She had been home for one hour and the wind was now blowing wildly and the rain was knocking on the apartment's windows. There was a storm coming, and Dawn hated storms.

A little bit before 9 pm she was sitting on her bed, reading, trying to forget the growing storm outside. Every now and then, something would hit the window and she jumped, startled. She was trying to concentrate on the story when suddenly there was a big crack and the power went out, plunging the apartment in total darkness.

She threw the book on the ground and covered herself with the sheets.

And now that she had nothing to distract herself, she could hear every single noise outside, and to make things worse, a thunderstorm joined the party.

This was ridiculous. She had slain vampires, and even killed some demons, but she was terrified because of a stupid storm. She tried to rationalize but to no avail. To her great relief, she finally heard the key turning in the door lock. A few second later, Connor walked in.

"Connor?" she asked, just to be sure.

"Yes, it's me. What happened? Where are you?"

"In.In bed," she said, still trembling.

"Chali, are you ok?" he asked in a concerned voice, trying to make his way to the bed in the dark.

"No," Dawn answered. "I'm scared."

She heard the sound of boots dropping on the floor and clothes being taken off. The next minute, he was lying next to her.

"Chali," he called softly.

Connor knew he was dirty with today's sweat but he just wanted to lie in bed and get warm. He had worked late, helping the others to take inside everything that they could, and tying the rest because of the upcoming storm.

"I'm scared," repeated Dawn, taking refuge in his arms.

She was surprised at first by how cold he was, but his arms closed in a comforting circle around her. She settled in his arms and soon felt somewhat relaxed.

"Are you better now?" he asked, growing painfully aware that his naked body was pressing against hers, only separated by her thin nightgown. He legs were brushing his naked sex. His first move had been a comforting one, not thinking that they would suddenly be so close. In a bed. In the dark.

She was not moving but the feel of her skin excited him greatly. He couldn't help himself but think of her delicate hands on him, and his on her. He felt himself grew hard, and hoped she couldn't feel it.

That was of course the first thing Dawn noticed and her breath caught in her throat for a minute. She should have known she would have this effect on him, like he had on her. A part of her wanted to touch him, to caress his chest and even go further down.She had never touched one before, and was highly intrigued. But she wasn't ready yet and she couldn't start something she was not willing to finish.

She enjoyed the proximity of his body, aware that their relationship was slowly progressing in a direction that would soon changed a lot of things for both of them.

TBC.