Thank you so much, Allison, BuffyandSpikeforever, Cordykitten, Chelsea and Whitelighter354, you’re wonderful!

Chapter thirty-three: Too late (I took something from both ‘Becoming I and II’...)

”Buffy... what was... that? What did William just do? Why ... what... how?” the woman wondered, more and more confused and scared.

“I guess it’s time for a long conversation!” Buffy rolled her eyes, sighing, as she beckoned Spike to stay there and help her and he accepted, realizing that he still had some time, after all.

“Mom, this world is really so much more dangerous than you think. There are demons, vampires and any other kind of monsters you can think of and I have to fight against them every single night, because I’m the Chosen One...” the girl started explaining as they got into the house.

“Honey, what are you blathering about? You’re not a fighter!” the woman struck back in disbelief.

“Oh yes, I am and I didn’t chose to be, it’s my destiny... I’ve been called to do that!”

“So... can’t you quit?”

“No, mom, it’s not that easy. It’s not a job that I chose to do, the job chose me. I’ve been doing this for years now and you haven’t ever noticed anything. Me coming back late at night, my clothes stained with blood that you’ve washed out on countless times...” she went on.

“Tell me that you’re joking, you can’t be serious, sweetie, demons and vampires don’t exist, it’s just your imagination... and I seriously think you need a doctor, a very good doctor!” the woman stated in deep concern.

“Spike, please, show her... that,” Buffy asked him and he stared at her, looking for the confirmation he needed and, yes, it was just what he thought she wanted him to do.

“Well, Joyce, do you remember my sunlight allergy?” he asked her and she nodded even when she kept telling herself that that couldn’t be true. “Actually, the real reason why I can’t be in the sunlight is... * this *!” he said, changing his features.

The woman screamed horrified and passed out on the sofa.

“So, you finally told her...” he commented, approaching the sofa and returning to his handsome human visage.

“Yeah. After all... it could be worse than this. And speaking of ‘telling’... err... all my friends found out about us, so they also know now... but, don’t worry, they won’t say anything...” she informed him.

“Well, Slayer, it seems that discretion is not one of your best qualities!” he snapped rolling his eyes.

“Gee, Spike! I didn’t tell them on purpose, they heard Will and me talk... but you are right. After all, a part of me wanted them to know. Anyway, now help me wake up my mom, please!” she changed subjects quickly.

Joyce began to recover after she said that.

“Oh, my god, I had such an odd dream. You, Buffy, were some kind of weird warrior, and you, William, I know you won’t ever believe me, dear, but you were a...”

“Vampire?” he anticipated her, sneering in delight as he let his demon surface once again.

Another scream, and immediately after Joyce fainted again.

“Spike!” Buffy scolded him.

“What? Vampire, here, luv. Evil. Enjoy scaring people!” he justified, shaking his game-face away.

Buffy had to use the smell salts to make her mother regain consciousness again.

“Well, Joyce, I’m sorry, but at least now you know the truth. And that doesn’t change anything about how I feel about your daughter, please, believe me. Anyway, now I really have to go...” Spike explained, approaching to the front door, as the woman stared at him, still a little bit shocked.

“Hey, wait. Why did Buffy call you ‘Spike’ before?” she wondered.

Spike read in his beloved girlfriend’s eyes a death threat for him if he had dared to tell her mother the truth about the origin of his nickname.

So, he had to invent an excuse.

“Uh! Well, look at me. It’s due to my ... uh... constitution. See? I am as thin as a... spike!” he answered, before running away, mostly because he didn’t want to see his Buffy laugh at him.

But Buffy didn’t even have the time to laugh.

She knew that she had to face her mother and all her questions, and maybe that would take the whole night.

----------------------------------------------------------

As promised, at early morning, Buffy went to Giles’ house.

“Hi, Buffy, can I help you somehow?” he exclaimed, making her come in.

“Good morning, Giles, I’ve got news. Do you know anything about an ancient artefact that arrived at the museum in these last few days?” she wondered, sitting at the table with him as the TV set was turned on the channel of the local news.

“Of course I know. I went to the museum yesterday and asked a friend who works there not to do anything before I’d translated the written text at the centre of the obelisk...” the Watcher explained, but just in that moment their attention was caught by the journalist who was announcing a vicious murder at the museum during the night, where the police had found a corpse with two punctured marks on his neck. When the journalist showed the picture of the murdered man, Giles gasped in shock.

“I take it that was your friend?” Buffy figured out.

“Yes, oh, God, poor man, he never did anything bad!” he mourned him.

“That’s my fault only, I warned you too late about this and now the ancient artefact is already in Angelus and Drusilla’s hands...” Buffy blamed herself.

“And Spike’s, as well!” Giles added, way too bitterly.

“No! Don’t even dare to hint such a thing! Listen, how do you think I knew about the artefact?”

“Well, I thought that you had paid a visit to Willie and...” he trailed.

“No, you’re wrong. Spike came to me, yesterday...”

“So, you saw him again!” her Watcher cut her off, not happy about the news.

“Yes, I did and he risked being seen by some of Angelus’ minions. Anyway, he warned me about this stuff, because he said that Dru had a vision ... and that’s nothing good. So, he is gonna help us, whatever you like it or not. And I know that he’s really on our side, against them, not just because I love him, but because I trust him with all my heart. I believe in him and you’d better do the same!” she snapped, walking towards the exit. “Now, I gotta go. Maybe I’ll catch Spike later, during my patrol, and if he knows something else he’ll let me know. Bye!” she said dryly, leaving her Watcher dumbfounded and puzzled.

(End I)