Author's Chapter Notes:
The words in the beginning of this chapter were taken from a poem written by Barbara Chase-Riboud.

For me this chapter is rather short but I stopped it here for a reason. Please tell me what you think. Also, this chapter does not have our favorite couple having sex...sorry but I'll make up for it.
If we part, you will leave with half of me
Or I with half of you, and nothing will kill
The pain of dismembering


Elizabeth had spoken to Rupert twice during the week. She made sure she told him about bumping into Gwen and was pissed he already knew about it. The bitch wasted no time telling him. She couldn't even wait until he returned from California. It bothered Elizabeth, Gwen was talking to Rupert while he was away but then shrugged it off. Why wouldn't she? They worked together and she was sure he was updating her and his other colleagues about the work he was doing out there.


She had been stressing out over nothing. Rupert dismissed her run in with Gwen as no big deal but she had to be more discreet with William. It was going to be difficult. She was too comfortable around him often letting her guard down. They had their own little world to get lost in. He made her feel special in more ways then Rupert ever did. Elizabeth sighed. She dreaded her husband's return while thinking there was no way things with William could go back to the way they were. She would have to make a choice as the thought of leaving Rupert for William entered her mind for the first time.


She was glad the workweek had come and gone. Elizabeth couldn't wait to unwind once she got to William's place. Things were hectic at work and she wasn't getting any work done. She was unfocused and tired all the time. Her days were spent talking to William on the telephone and if they weren't talking on the phone, they were having lunch every other day and some of those "lunches" were spent in their favorite hotel. She was missing important meetings and barely meeting her deadlines due to her lack of restraint with saying no when William wanted to have another go, as he would put it. As a result her one-hour lunches often turned into two and sometimes even three-hour lunches. Lucky for her she didn't have to punch a clock or she wouldn't have a job.


It was Friday night and she was headed to William's place this time with a suitcase instead of a small overnight bag. She was staying the weekend and they were eating in and going to watch two of her favorite movies, Pretty Woman and Sixteen Candles. First she needed to stop by the grocery store to pick up some things they needed for dinner.

*~~~*

William couldn't believe he still had a job. He was slacking off big time. He was logging more hours on the phone with Elizabeth then he was with his work. He ignored emails, missed meetings and missed an important deadline because she was heavy on his mind. Every day he felt like he was going through withdrawal if he didn't hear her voice or see her. They talked everyday, had lunch slash hotel dates most of those days and it still wasn't enough. If his boss knew what he was up to, William would be standing in the unemployment line.


He purchased several things he thought Elizabeth would need while she stayed at his place including a toothbrush and some of her favorite junk food. He made space for her on top of his dresser and cleaned out one of the large drawers for her things. He finally upgraded his VCR for a DVD player for the better quality and because he knew Elizabeth loved to watch her chick flick movies. He had another key made to his apartment wrapped in a box. He was going to give it to her when she arrived. She needed one since William expected her to be coming over a lot more.


Tonight they were going to stay in and make tacos and margaritas. He picked up two of her favorite movies. Of course, they were all chick flicks but next time he was choosing. William was looking forward to seeing her as if he hadn't seen her all week. He was glad she had come out of the funk she was in on Monday. That morning didn't turn out how he had planned. What happened instead was better, up until they ran into that woman. Unfortunately, there wasn't going to be a next time since they agreed she wasn't going to be staying over on Sundays any more if they ever expected to get to work on time.


One week had come and gone as he dreaded the return of her husband. There was no way he would be able to deal with things going back to the way they were. He and Elizabeth had done and shared too much. She needed to make a choice, him or the pounce.

*~~~*

Elizabeth's hands were full as she struggled with the grocery bag and her suitcase. She used her foot to knock on the door; glad William didn't keep her waiting. He took the grocery bag out of her hands and kissed her. Some of the items inside were her favorite foods he had already purchased but he didn't say anything. He wanted it to be a surprised when she opened up the refrigerator and the cupboards. He walked in the kitchen to put away the groceries and to start their dinner.


Elizabeth walked to the bedroom and placed her suitcase on the bed then laid down to rest. She looked around the bedroom. There was something different. She noticed the empty space on his dresser and one of the large drawers was pulled out with nothing in it. There was a white plastic four-drawer container on wheels beside the dresser. She smiled. She had one just like it in her closet at home. Also, there was a small two-drawer plastic container one on top of the dresser. It was perfect for make-up, nail polish, cotton balls and facial pads.


Nothing could wipe the smile off her face; William's thoughtfulness made her giddy. She began putting her things away and after she was done, she joined him in the kitchen. William was stirring the beef in the pan and sipping on a margarita. He asked her did she want one. Elizabeth didn't answer him. She had taken the wooden spoon and glass out of his hand then gave him a deep wet kiss.

*~~~*

Elizabeth's kiss had caught William off guard, causing him to stumble forward. When she released his mouth, he asked her what was the kiss for. She told him for simply being him and kissed him again. This time he was ready for it. He wrapped his arms around her tight and deepened the kiss. Without breaking contact from her mouth, he picked her up and placed her on the counter. His hands tangled in her hair while his tongue tangled with hers as they kissed while the rest of the world melted away. His hands left the softness of her golden locks to roam over her shoulders and waist. He snaked them under her top to fondle her breasts but things quickly came to a halt when the smell of burning beef overwhelmed them. They reeled their passion in and Elizabeth thanked him for the special arrangements he made in the bedroom. He gave her a quick kiss on the lips and told her there was more to come then kicked her out of the kitchen to salvage the beef.

*~~~*

They watched one of the movies while they ate and drank three margaritas apiece. Buzzing, Elizabeth was anxious to watch the next movie while playfully poking William in the side to get up and put it on. He was feeling no pain and anxious also but for a different reason. He wanted to give Elizabeth the key he had made. He got up from the couch and pulled the small wrapped box out of the hallway closet.


Deciding not to wait for William to start the movie, Elizabeth got off the couch and put it in herself. When she turned around, she saw him with a wrapped box in his hand and froze. It was too square to be a ring, which was ridiculous being that she was already married and it wasn't big enough to be a bracelet. Her heart was beating rapidly in her chest but she managed to get her feet moving so she could sit on the couch. She swallowed hard after William sat across from her, handing her the box. When she opened it, there was a silver key inside. She looked at William who was grinning from ear to ear and then she looked down at the key. She was speechless.


Her reaction had wiped the smile off of William's face. Elizabeth was acting like she had never seen a key before. He asked her what was wrong, snapping her out of her trance. He waited for a response, which he thought was long overdue. Realizing he wasn't going to get one, William snatched the box out of her hand and told Elizabeth he had made a mistake. He got off the couch and walked into the kitchen. He dropped the key in his junk drawer and threw the box into the trash. He told her he didn't feel like watching the other movie and was going to bed.


Elizabeth's lack of speech had her sitting in the dark alone, wondering what the hell just happened. One minute she and William were laughing and having a great time eating, drinking and watching the movie and the next they were in separate rooms. She turned off the TV and walked into the bedroom. William wasn't asleep. He was writing. She crawled beside him on the bed and laid her head on his arm. She told him she was sorry. William stopped writing and without saying a word, he placed his poetry journal in the bedside table drawer. He undressed, turned off the light and got under the covers with his back turned to her.