DANCE OF THE MATES


Chapter 12: ‘Save Me!’


“Ten minutes or so and counting,” Spike growled as he stood by his crypt door. It was less then ten minutes until the sun would drop, conveniently, into the horizon just past the Pacific Ocean. He, Spike, he had not seen that sun, or felt it’s warmth on his body in over one-hundred and twenty years. No, he’d only began to feel the joy and pleasure of it’s warmth, once again, when he had mated with his Slayer, his mate, his wife, Buffy.

“Buffy is my sun,” Spike whispered, his unbeating heart suddenly feeling very much ‘alive’ and painfully breaking.

Now fools who had no concept of what Buffy and he shared together had taken her from him. Left him to perish in heartbreak and death from the lack of his Buffy’s nearness.

“I’m coming for you,” Spike growled to the evening air, even if he could not yet stand in it. “I’ll be there, soon, baby,” he hissed his promise to his mate. ‘If they’ve harmed you,’ Spike thought, suddenly frightened at the possibility that those fucking morons had hurt his mate. Even in ignorance, it was a possibility, on the Watcher’s part, even the whelp’s and Red’s. Finn was a fucking idiot, so there was no telling what his jealous state might unleash on poor Buffy.

“I’ll rip their throats out, one-by-one, sweetheart,” he began to vocalize his threats to his missing wife. “If they’ve harmed you, or made you less then you are, less mine, or in any way, I’ll massacre them. I don’t give a fuck if I have a permenant migraine from it!”

Spike had already began to feel the effects of being seperated from his Buffy. His whole body was starting to shake, in pain and loss of her nearness. He knew she had to be feeling the same way and it nearly killed him, again.

“Gotta’ stay focused,” he told himself, constantly. “I have got to stay together and get to her, fast. Get her out of that nightmare. Fucking friends of hers, they got no idea what they’ve done. To both of us.”

Spike suddenly sensed the wolfboy, Oz, at his crypt door. He backed away from the heavy doors and bade the red-haired demon into his home.

“Spike,” Oz panted, apparently out of breath from running to the cemetary, “Buffy. They do have her at Giles. She’s like tied and chained up, under some kind of ‘holding spell’ of Willow’s. My baby, Wills, she’s put some kind of barrier around the Watcher’s crib, made it invicible to vampires, you in particular.”

“NO!” Spike roared his anger. He tried to get past Oz, who was now standing guard at the crypt door, but the part wolf stopped him. Surprisingly, this Oz was quite strong, even though vampires were usually the toughest of the demon world.

“It’ll be sunset, in less then five, man, come on. You wanna’ go out and burn up like toast?” Oz had Spike by his arm. The red-head just shook his head, somewhat frustrated himself. “Just wait, for five minutes, dude. I’ll go with you, to Giles place. I tried to talk some sense into Willow, again. But…..”

Oz sighed, his head hung down in defeat. “I’ve thought about ‘claiming’ Willow, myself,” the red-haired man shook his head sadly. “But after this? She has no clue as to what this would mean for us…for Wills and me The sanctity and commitment involved in it.”

Spike realized, somewhat in awe, that Oz truly loved Red, without hesitation. Just like he, Spike, loved Buffy. Only, sadly, the little witch, Willow, might never be able to commit herself, wholly to this love sick half-demon, Oz.

“Sorry mate,” Spike whispered, honestly. “Guess I’m so wrapped up in trying to save my love, Buffy, that I forgot about your feelings for your girl, in this mess.”

Oz shrugged, non-chalanty, but Spike knew the poor guy was in emotional pain.

“Red,” Spike began carefully, “your girl is young yet, mate. She’ll grow up and see the world, make her own choices, yes?”

The red-haired young ‘man’ responded with a sad, half-smile, “my Willow is the same age as your Buffy,” Oz pointed out. “She ‘is’ grown,” he added with a smirk.

“Not really,” Spike shook his blond head, somberly, “Buffy was born older then anyone. She had to be, she’s the Chosen One. Slayers don’t get a real carefree teenage time. They’re older, wiser beyond their years. Truth is, Oz,” Spike thought out loud, “Buffy was meant to mate young. I believe that. Thank God,” here the vampire cringed, just a tad at the ‘Omnipresent One’s name. “Thank God,” he repeated, almost nervously, “that it was me that the Power’s that Be decided my Buffy was to mate with.”





Oz smiled, sadly at Spike, “it’s cool, Spike,” he finally smiled slightly. “Maybe Willow will be able to understand, someday. Maybe even after this is all over with and all?”


“Sun’s gone, mate,” Spike pointed out the obvious with determination, “let’s go.”

“Giles,” Buffy was talking the most calm, rational voice she could muster, “please, call this off.”

She had been pleading with Giles, Willow, clueless Xander and yes, even her fucking ex-boyfriend, Riley, for hours. To no avail, unfortunately.

‘God, Spike, come save me. Come for me, baby,’ although she knew her silent pleading was unneccessary. Buffy had no doubt her beloved mate would come for her, soon. However, the problem was, how would Spike save her? She was already feeling the effects of being seperated from her mate and they were not pretty.

“Maybe we should gag her,” Xander offered, seriously.

Everyone in the room, Riley included gave poor Xander an incredulous look.

“We are so not going to gag Buffy,” Willow stammered nervously, “I can’t let you guys to that to her. This is bad enough.”

The witch stared over at her probably ex-best friend and sighed, audibly. “I hate this, Giles, Xander,” Red muttered, her voice was ragged with lack of sleep and perhaps earlier tears. “Oz says…..”

“He doesn’t know what the fuck he’s talking about,” Riley growled loudly.

“Hey, don’t say fuck in front of Wills,” Xander whined, coming to stand in front of the Initiative soldier. “I don’t agree with Oz, about this claim crap and all, either, but you don’t have to talk filthy in front of Willow, or Buffy for that matter.” Harris seemed to stand up to Riley, facing off with him and defiant.

“Sorry,” Riley mumbled under his breath. Then he left the room completely.

“How long does this barrier spell last Willow?” Giles asked the witch, unable to even look at his Slayer by now. “Spike is very much unalive, that much we know and he will ‘not’ just let this go. He’ll be here within minutes of the sun going down and I do not feel like taking on a Master Vampire, especially without my Slayer.”

“I am so not ‘your’ Slayer, Giles, not anymore,” Buffy hissed from the bed. “And I might remind you that ‘I’ am still in the room. Do not talk around me like I’m some five-year-old errant child. It’s just going to add to the ass kicking you’re all going to receive from my mate and me. Once I’m out of this mess. Which will be soon, I assure you,” she grinned, smugly at the three so called friends left in the room.

Xander eyed Buffy, nervously, “she’s right,” he mumbled lowly, “if we don’t break this stupid claim of theirs? Buffy and Spike will wipe up Sunnydale with our collective asses when this is over. Just how long ‘does’ the barrier spell, on the Blond Wonder, Spike, work, Wills?”

‘He sounds terrified,’ Buffy thought, taking wicked delight in her ex-friend’s fear. ‘Good! I hope they all have nervous breakdowns after this. Serves them right!”

“He’s here,” Buffy gasped in delight, already feeling the positive affects of Spike’s nearness. “My mate’s here!” She would have clapped her tiny hands in delight, that is if she could have.

Moments later, loud arguing could be heard from downstairs in Giles’ living room.

“Get out!” Riley was screaming at Oz, who for once, was anything but quiet and reserved.

“Fuck off, soldier boy,” Oz growled, loud enough for the people upstairs to hear. In fact, Oz truly ‘growled’ the next time, kind of like a wolf fighting over his territory.

“Willow!” Oz came bursting into the room, nearly yelling. “Get that damn barrier spell off from around this house! Spike’s here to take his mate home and you need to all pull your heads out of your asses about this!”

“We, we can’t baby,” Willow mumbled, weakly, “I haven’t been able to break the claim thingy yet and….”

“And you never will!” Oz finished for her. “Wills, I mean this, you can’t do anything about this. The only way is for one of the mates to die and…..”

“That’ll be easy,” Xander and Riley (who had now re-joined the group in the bedroom). “We’ll just stake that piece of demon shit out there, who’s pacing up and down Giles front lawn at the moment, and…..”

“No!” screamed Buffy desperately.

“I have a cross-bow stashed here,” Xander offered quickly. “We wouldn’t even have to go out and actually face Spike. Just shoot him from the door?” The black haired man grinned in relief, “I’m a great shot with the bow and….”

“No!” yelled Oz, almost as desperately as Buffy, “if either one of them, Spike or Buffy dies? The other one won’t last a day. That’s the catch in the claim, part of the bond. Yes, a death of one will break it, but only in this world. It’s a Catch-22 clause, really. The answer to the ‘break’ is that the remaining mate cannot survive for more then 24 hours, 48 at most without the dead one. That way, they are reunited in the netherworlds.”

Oz was serious as a heart attack and Buffy was relieved that he seemed to know so much about ‘claims’ and all. ‘Why wouldn’t he,’ she reminded herself, ‘wolves are the most claimy/bondy animals on earth. More so then human animals, or so it would seem,’ she thought, sarcastically.

Outside of the Watcher’s house, Spike was pacing, no, make that stalking up and down, just in front of the invisible barrier. The one that kept him from his mate, Buffy. His lifeless heart was breaking and he never felt so fucking helpless in his entire unlife, or human life for that matter.

Pausing from his stalking, Spike clenched his fists up as his sides and stared at the upper window of Giles’ house. He could ‘feel’ his mate up there and could also feel her pain and fear.

“Buffy!” he suddenly roared like a lion up at the window. Actually, it was more of a pained howl.

‘Spike,’ he could ‘hear’ her sweet voice speak to him.

‘I can’t invite you in, baby,’ she moaned, ‘the barrier, it’s too strong. I miss you, I love you honey,’ she finished before her words faded completely.

Spike felt his tears begin to fall down his cold cheeks, ‘I love you and miss you too,’ he whispered back, knowing his mate could ‘hear’ him also. ‘I’ll get back, sweet,’ he growled. He just wasn’t sure how.