DANCE OF THE MATES



Chapter 14: ‘Dying Without Buffy’


Buffy watched her captors with wary, green eyes. She was entirely way to exhausted to stay awake, much longer anyway and realized that the ‘gang’ must be even more tired. After all, she, Buffy, was the Slayer and much stronger in all ways then other mere mortals.

Riley and Giles had left the bedroom that Buffy was being kept in. They disappeared earlier to presumably go downstairs and plot against Buffy’s mate, Spike and maybe even Angel.

‘Better make that Angelus,’ Buffy smirked to herself. She had no doubt that Spike’s Grandsire would make good on his threat and show up in the Hellmouth. Angel(us) may have disapproved of the Buffy/Spike mating, but he was a Master Vampire, after all. Master Vampires had a sense of family and duty. Blood was always thicker then water, especially to vampires.

Oz left Willow’s side and slowly walked over to the bed that Buffy was ‘tied’ to by magic. He sat on the edge and looked at the Slayer with a somber expression.

“I’m trying, Buffy,” Oz sighed sadly. “I’ve been trying since this started to make Willow see the uselessness of this bullshit. I thought I had her convinced, at least, but…” He shrugged in frustration.

“I know,” Buffy murmered softly at her best friend’s lover. “Oz,” she mumbled lowly, “do they have any idea what Spike and Angel, together, will do to them? To this town?”

Even Buffy was a little leary of turning Spike and Angel loose on the town of Sunnydale, California. Especially on this little ‘Scoobie’ corner of the the Hellmouth world.

“Uh, apparently not,” Oz hissed sadly. “Maybe Willow’s getting an idea, but the others?” He shook his spikey haired head in sorrow.

“Buffy?” Oz began with hesitation. “I understand some of the vampire way, but, this ‘family’ thing of theirs? Is it as strong a bond as the wolf pack way?”

“Stronger,” Buffy responded with conviction.

“Oh shit,” Oz groaned anxiously, “then we’re all in for the ass kicking of our lives.”

“I have to go, honey,” Oz jumped up and looked at the little clock on the nightstand nearby. “It’s nearly sunrise. I’ve got to get your guy into a safe place for the day. I’ll be back, later to try and convince Willow and the others to let you go back to your mate.”

“Oz!” Buffy yelped as the wolfboy hurried to the bedroom door. “Thank you,” she said evenly.

“No worries,” Oz grinned back at the Slayer.

Spike was still pacing up and down in front of the Watcher’s house. He knew full well that sunrise was near, but he couldn’t bring himself to leave his mate, Buffy. Not even to go to safety from the morning sun’s rays.

Oz, the wolfboy, suddenly appeared from inside Giles’ house. The short, red head hurried up to the vampire. He wore the look of a concerned friend.

“You’ve got to get into shelter, dude,” Oz warned Spike nervously. “It’s almost daybreak. You’ll be dust in less then an hour if you don’t get inside.”

“I can’t leave Buffy,” Spike growled lowly. “I’ve got to stay. If I can’t be near her, close enough to ‘speak’ to her? I’ll go fucking insane for sure.”

“I’ll take you to my crib,” Oz stated with authority, “you’ll be safe there. When sun sets you can come back here and we’ll try to convince these morons that the best thing for Buffy is to let her come back to you. Besides,” Oz scowled for a moment then continued, “won’t Angel be here by tonight? I mean if the others don’t set Buffy free?”

“Yes,” Spike mumbled, a little embarrassed by his relief at his Grandsire’s name. “Angelus will be here, by tonight, if not earlier. If they don’t let my Buffy go.”

“All right, then,” Oz nodded, “let’s go. At least ‘I’ have a phone at my place. You can call Angel in LA and let him know that these idiots are not playing by the rules, still. I hate to unleash the wrath of Angel and you on my friends. Hell, I hate to expose my baby, Willow, to all of this. But, I’ve tried to explain it to them, all of them. So has Xander’s girl, Anya. They just won’t listen, period.”

Oz took Spike by the arm and led him off to his apartment. The two ‘demons’ could hear the first twills of the local ‘larks’ as they began their good morning songs.

Buffy lay in the big bed, still tied up and miserable. She kept staring out of the bedroom window and tried to ‘talk’ to her mate. Apparently Oz had convinced Spike to get inside, away from the morning sun’s rays and into safety.

‘Thank God for Oz,’ Buffy mused. ‘If it weren’t for him, Spike would have stayed out there and fried himself into a crisp.’

A part of the Slayer felt very ‘loved and worshipped’ by her mate. For her Spike to brave the threat of dusting by sunlight for his Buffy. But another part of Buffy was worried sick that her loveable, British bad boy would get himself ‘killed off’ again, over her.

‘We will be together again, baby,’ Buffy felt Spike’s words filter into her mind and soul. She realized that he was speaking to her, calling to her from where ever he was at.

“You are an asshole, Riley,” Buffy hissed at her ex-boyfriend when he re-entered the bedroom. “In fact,” she continued with a mimic of Spike’s smirk, “you’re an incredible asshole. Do you really think you can take on Spike and Angel? And win?”

Riley shot Buffy a distasteful look and flopped down on a chair by the bed she lay in. He looked her up and down, with a grimmace.

“Christ, Buffy,” he grumbled, “just look at yourself. The all mighty Slayer. Reduced to being the whore bride of an evil piece of demon shit like Spike.”

If Buffy could have risen from the bed, she would have leapt at Riley and ripped his fucking throat out for speaking about her love, Spike like that. It really was too much. Here she was, the Slayer of Demons and she couldn’t even release herself from this mojo that held her tied and chained to this unwelcome bed.

“Must be real ego building,” Buffy hissed at Riley, “to be able to bad mouth my ‘incredible mate, Spike’ while he’s not here to beat your worthless head in. Much less to insult my amazing husband and lover to end all lovers, William the Bloody, while I’m trussed up like a Holiday turkey.”

The soldier boy hung his head in momentary shame, then glared at Buffy. He stood up and strode over to the bed and now flopped down on it.

Reaching out his huge hand, Riley ran it down Buffy’s bare arm and grinned wickedly. Buffy cringed in disgust and tried to pull away from him.

“You better remember who’s in control here, little girl,” Riley growled lowly as he now touched Buffy’s neck with his meaty fingers. He seemed to pause at Spike’s claiming marks and frowned.

“My wonderful, hot, sexy husband has a matching set you know?” Buffy purred silkily. “My marks, I mean. We have a matching set, kind of like wedding bands and…..”

Riley reared back from Buffy then raised his right hand as if to slap her. Suddenly, Xander appeared in the room and hurried up to the bed. The dark-haired man shot Riley a nasty look, then scowled at Buffy.

“What’s going on here?” Xander asked nervously.

“Nothing,” Riley grumbled as he stood up from the bed.

“Oh, Riley’s just trying to make a clumsy move on me, Xand,” Buffy chuckled wickedly. “Seems it doesn’t matter how much of a demon slut I’ve turned into. My ex here appears to be as hot for me as ever. Too bad he’s a real dud in the bed department and all. Nothing like a real ‘man’ like my William is.”

Xander gasped and stared at Buffy, wide-eyed, his mouth open like a hooked fish. He then glared at Riley, apparently angry that the Initiative soldier had tried to take advantage of a tied up Buffy.

“Maybe you’d better go and get some rest? Huh, Riley?” Xander glared at the big man in front of him. “I think we’ll all need some sleep and to refurbish our strength.”

Riley snorted loudly and left the room. Xander and Buffy could hear the man cursing all the way down the stairs.

“Giles and Willow, even Anya, they’re sleeping downstairs,” Xander offered an explaination to Buffy.

“Who gives a fuck!” Buffy retorted viciously.

“Buff,” Xander began cautiously, “we’re just trying to help you break free from that evil, undead freak you’ve tied yourself to.”

“He’s not a freak, Xander,” Buffy hissed, vehemently. “Spike is my mate, my soulmate for life. His and my life, that is. You’ve no right to make this decision for me, or him. None of you.”

Xander groaned in exasperation and bolted from the bed and the room. Buffy moaned in frustration and lay back down on the bed that had become her prison.

Spike now paced in Oz’s apartment’s living room. If he kept this up, he’d wear a path into the black carpet of the ‘crib’ as Oz had called it.

The wolfboy, Oz, had crashed in his bedroom, hours before. But not before he’d given Spike his phone and had him dial Angel’s number in LA. Spike had not reached Angel, himself, but he’d gotten Wesley, the surrogate Watcher in his Grandsire’s office.

Spike had listened while the demon girl, Cordelia was it, relayed Angelus’s message to his Grandchilde, through this Wesley bloke. The message was quite clear to everyone involved.

Angelus had decided not to wait for the humans to come to their senses. He had headed to Sunnydale around 3:00 AM, PDT, and had probably, already made it here into town.

‘Hope Peaches blacked out the windows of his Mustang,’ Spike had chuckled despite his inner torment. ‘Or he’ll never make it here to Sunnyhell.’

Problem was, that Angelus probably didn’t exactly know where Oz lived. So that begged the question: ‘how would the ‘Scourge of Europe’ find the place to meet up with his lovesick Grandchilde, William the Bloody?’

Turning on the telly to the Soap Channel, Spike lit up a cigarette and continued to pace about the living room. He was anxious as a cornered cat and knew he could not sleep. At least not until Buffy was back in his arms.

‘Hope something valid is on,’ he muttered, considering the option to change the channel to some ‘court TV’ at least. ‘Don’t suppose Passions repeats are on?’

An abrupt knock on Oz’s front door broke Spike’s nervous pacing. He glanced about to the bedroom door and realized that the owner was probably out for the count, indefinitely.

Spike stumbled to the door and called out, “who’s there?”

“It’s me Spike,” came Angelus’s deep, commanding voice. “I’ve come to help you and your mate.”

Spike gasped and threw the front door open, stunned, but exhilerated to see his Grandsire standing at the entrance.

“Invite me in, boy,” Angel growled almost good-naturedly.

“Come in, Grandsire,” Spike uttered with the utmost respect.

When Angel entered Oz’s residence, the first thing he did was double up his meaty fist and punch Spike right in his perfect, Roman shaped nose.

“What the bloody fuck was that for!” Spike yelped in shock.

“For taking ‘my’ girl and making her yours, you little fuck,” Angel growled at his youngest family member. His golden/brown eyes were full of jealousy.

“Buffy ‘is’ mine, Angelus,” Spike roared back at the patriach of the Aurileous clan. Spike’s indigo blue eyes were full of confidence.

“Yes,” Angel hissed, “Buffy ‘is’ yours now, William. But I just wanted to remind you that you ‘took’ something of mine. I’ll forgive you, boy, but only because Buffy loves you so much. I’ll never forget this, Willie. But, I have to accept it. I’m your Grandsire, by family and blood. My obligation is to you and your wife, first. My own envy comes second.”

Spike suddenly felt the need to throw his arms about his Grandsire. Which he did, even though he was more then ashamed at his outburst of relief that his family member was here with him.

“Thank you Grandfather. For coming to help I mean,” he mumbled softly, burying his head into Angel’s strong shoulder.

“Help I will, my Grandchile,” Angel whispered, trying to comfort his ailing grandson.

“I’m dying, without Buffy. By inches, I’m dying inside and out,” Spike hissed in emotional and physical pain.

“I know, boy,” Angel, cooed almost tenderly as he patted his grandchilde’s back with his right hand. “We will free your mate and return her to you. I promise this. We are of the Clan ‘Aurileous’ William. We stick together, no matter what.”


A/N: A weird little chapter, I know. Well, the gang had it’s chance, okay, so no, they really didn’t. Angel hit town before they could even think about freeing Buffy, huh?

In the next few chapters, there will be hell to pay for a lot of folks. But I’m thinking that someone might intervene (a human? Someone) that is. Hopefully, someone will come to their senses and free Buffy before the Hellmouth falls into the Pacific Ocean.

Thanks for reading, please review. Luv, Spuf