DANCE OF THE MATES


Chapter 17: ‘I Will Get To You…’


A/N: It’s been like forever and a day since I updated this, so I’m going to give it a go. Hope this latest chapter does not disappoint anyone. I’m going to introduce another BTVS character to the plot line. You might all be surprised at ‘who’ it is. Hint…he’s a British, handsome little devil!


“Odd, huh,” Buffy continued to interrogate both Willow and Xander, mercilessly. “Odd how Riley took off, in daylight today, leaving you two knuckleheads and an old ex-Watcher alone here, innit it?” Her green eyes glittered wickedly as she watched her two ex-best friends react to her sardonic tone.

“Riley had things to do, Buff,” Xander defended his ‘friend’ in a weak, unsure voice. “He wasn’t sure that Daddy Dead Guy was going to really make an appearance. Right Wills?”

Willow nodded, silently, but her grey eyes looked confused and doubtful. The red-headed computer genius said nothing as she sat down at the foot of Buffy’s bed and stared at the floor.

“Xander,” Willow finally spoke, so softly that her words were barely audible to even Buffy. “I think we should let Buffy go, completely. I can remove the binding spell, you go and tell Giles that…”

“No!” Xander screamed, desperately. “We can’t, we won’t! Just because Buffy’s ex squeeze shows up and backs his baby boy vampire, why should we give in? They can’t get to us, right?” Xander glanced at the window, anxiously, then back at Willow. He then glared at Buffy, his expression was acussing and full of disgust.

“Is there some reason you can’t stick with a nice, normal guy, like Riley?” Xander growled at Buffy, his dark eyes filled with frustrated anger. “You have to fuck a dead guy to get off, Buff? It’s pretty disgusting, you know? Why can’t a decent, good guy like Riley be enough for…”

“Put a lid on it, Harris,” Buffy growled at the dark haired man. “You’d better listen to Wills,” she hissed him, while she glared at Willow. “She’s beginning to make sense at least, so, I’d give her a listen and take heed, whelp!” Buffy grinned, evilly at her two companions, obviously unaware of her sudden British demeanor or threatening tone.

“Buffy?” Willow stared at her friend, in shock. “Listen to yourself? You’re beginning to sound like Spike, even your accent is becoming somewhat like his. Oh, golly,” Willow gasped suddenly, “you are mated and bonded with him. Completely! You’re becoming one with him and he with you, huh?”

“Damn, Wills,” Buffy smirked and began to chuckle softly, “you are bright, aren’t you? Finally realizing some of the power that Spike’s and my mutual claim has over us. News flash, kiddies,” Buffy continued with a wicked, husky laugh, “my ‘man’ and I can read each others’ thoughts too. If we’re in a close enough proximity to each other. And if I’m not mistaken? When this is over with, if I were you two, along with Giles, I’d head for the rolling green California hills. Spike is gonna’ rip this house apart, once he can get inside.”

“Buffy, this just proves this is a spell,” Xander groaned loudly, “it has to be. You’d never hurt Giles, or me, or Wills. You’d never hurt any human if that evil undead bastard hadn’t of put his mojo on you in some way. He’s the master of evil, the scourge of Sunnydale, the destructor of…”

“Will you just shut the fuck up and listen, for once, asshole!” Buffy screamed at Xander, her eyes burning with hatred and anger. “One last time,” she continued at the top of her lungs, “I love Spike. I want and need Spike. I ‘am’ married, totally, to Spike! Get over it, move on with your pathetic lives and leave my man and me alone!”

‘You tell them, baby,’ Buffy ‘heard and felt’ Spike’s encouragement in her head. ‘I love you, sweetheart,’ her vampire assured her. ‘I’m dying inside without you, luv,’ he added, weakly. ‘I will get to you, I swear it, just hold on. So will I.’

‘I know,’ Buffy answered Spike. ‘I’m dying too, inside, baby,’ she echoed to him. ‘I want to be with you, now. But, I will be soon, I swear it.’


“Are you and Deadboy Jr. doing some kind of vampire mind meld, right now, Buffy?” Xander mumbled his question, a look of awe in his brown eyes.

“None of your damn business,” Buffy hissed in reply. “Just rest assured, guys,” she continued with an odd, sly smile on her mouth. “I am bonded to Spike, period. Nothing can break his claim on me, nothing,” she hissed with conviciton.

“Don’t bet on that, dear Buffy,” came a British, somewhat familiar voice from the bedroom door.

The three occupants of the room, Buffy, Xander and Willow looked up to see a strangely familiar looking man there. Giles stood behind the good looking stranger, a rather sad, defeated look on the Watcher’s face.

“It’s been a long, long time, Slayer,” Ethan Rayne purred to Buffy as he walked slowly over to the bed and stood over her.

“Not long enough, asshole,” Buffy hissed at the evil being who stood in the doorway.

“What the fuck is he doing here?” Buffy growled at Giles, who had followed behind his old ‘friend/nemesis’ Ethan Rayne.

“He’s here to help us, Buffy,” Giles sighed heavily. “You left me no choice, so I had a source track down Rayne and I called him. Last evening. He’s here, to assist us.” Giles looked around the room at everyone and everything, except Buffy.

“Assist us how?” Willow asked, quietly, her voice tinged in fear.

“I can break this claim,” Ethan stately simply. “It’s a piece of cake, with the help of old Ripper here, of course,” the wicked man grinned at Giles.

“I’m not Ripper anymore,” Giles murmered, half-heartedly. “Not since back then. Not since it all went bad and…”

“Yet here I am, Rupert,” Ethan chuckled as he spoke to Giles, but gazed at Buffy. “You need me. Isn’t that what you said on the phone? ‘Rayne, I need your help. Let’s forget the past and forge into the future?’ Come now, Rupert, it was only last night, was it not? I came to the States as soon as I could. For our old freindship’s sake?”

“Ethan,” Giles mumbled, “yes, we do need you. My Slayer is lost, under some dark spell of a Master Vampire, William the Bloody. We are desperate for your expertise in these matters. You are our last resort and we’ve no choice but to utilize you. But I’m warning you, Rayne,” Giles frowned at the shorter, younger man. “If you betray us, or Buffy here? Ripper will make an appearance, I assure you and anything Spike and Angel may have planned for us will pale in comparison to what I’ll do to you. Do you understand?”

“Perfectly, Rupert,” Ethan responded with a benevolent smile. “Of course, remember this. I’ve always been rather fond of Ripper. More so then Rupert.” The other Brit turned and walked out of the bedroom, calling behind him. “I’ve books to go over, ones that I have brought with me. It is going to take time and certain ‘instruments’ herbs and such to perform the ‘claim breaking’ spells. Let me get started.”

Buffy lay in the bed, her whole body shaking from the last five minutes of pure hell. It had been like a scene out of a horror movie. Ethan Rayne, an ally of Giles now? Xander and Willow, seemingly going along with this idiocy.

“You know what,” Buffy broke the uncomfortable, tense silence in the room. “You’ve all become nothing more to me then a bunch of fucking side-show freaks. This little alliance you have all just formed, against me and Spike? This is the freak show, not our marriage. Can you all just get the fuck away from me now? At least for a while? I want to ‘talk’ to my husband, in private.”

“Buffy,” Willow began, her soft, soothing voice was broken, somewhat. “I’m sorry, it’s too late now. Please,” the red head began to cry, softly, “please forgive us and…”

“I’ll never forgive any of you,” Buffy hissed at Willow, then turned her wrath on Xander and Giles. “You two, least of all. At least Willow really thinks she knows what’s best for me, but you two? The only reason that you’re doing this is spite and jealousy. Oh, don’t deny it, either of you. Xander’s been trying to get into my pants for years and I’m surprised that Anya hasn’t kicked him to the curb before this. At least she’s got the sense to stay out of this crap and throw herself into her work.”

Giles began to speak, but Buffy cut him off. “Don’t even start, old man,” she hissed, viciously at her Watcher. “You’ve tried to own me since my first Watcher, Merrick died. You could never stand the fact that I was my own person, didn’t need you as much as you would have liked. So just get the fuck out of my so called room and stay away from me, permenantly!”

Xander shook his head, but left the room first, with Willow right behind him. Giles stood, watching Buffy for a brief moment, his blue eyes full of sorrow. Then the older man reluctantly followed the teens out of the room.

‘Spike!’ Buffy called out to her husband, ‘hear me, please,’ she pleaded desperate.

‘I hear you, luv,’ Spike responded, tenderly. ‘Are you all right, sweetheart, are you okay?’

‘I am, for now,’ Buffy replied nervously. ‘You need to tell Angel something, tell him that Ethan Rayne is here. Inside this house.’

“Ethan Rayne?” Spike asked out loud, turning to his grandsire. “Who the bloody hell is Ethan Rayne?”

“Shit,” Angel hissed and glared at Giles’ house once again. “He’s a real asshole, that’s who he is, Spike.” The tall, dark haired vampire scowled, his demon visage skittered across his human face.

“Do you remember that first Halloween you were here? When all humans in Sunnydale turned into their costumes?”

Spike nodded and grinned, slightly. “My Buffy was a ‘lady’ from the old days. She was like putty in my hands, at first that is,” Spike’s grin turned into a smirk.

“Yeah, you had her under your power, that’s right,” Angel growled, but rolled his brown eyes, dramatically. “Until Giles’ made ‘Rayne’ break the spell and Buffy wiped Sunnydale up with your sorry ass.”

“That was him?” Spike asked in shock, ignoring his grandsire’s sarcastic remarks.

“Yup,” Angel nodded quickly. “Ethan Rayne was and is a master in the dark arts of magic. He’s a warlock, pure and simple and not a ‘kind’ one either. Rayne is here for one purpose, Spike,” Angel watched his grandchilde while he told him the truth.

“The guy is here to us dark magic to break your claim on Buffy,” Angel actually stepped back from his childer. He half expected Spike’s famous temper to flare up and for him to attack him.

“He can’t!” Spike cried desperately. “Buffy’s my mate, for eternity! Rayne can’t break the claim, he won’t,” Spike nearly whimpered and turned to storm into the house, barrier or not.

“Of course he can’t,” Angel growled as he grabbed his errant grandchilde, “vampires know that. But arrogant humans? They believe that they're Gods, you know that, boy. The only way the claim could be broken is if Buffy allows it to be. And I assure you,William,” Angel continued as he held Spike’s arm, holding him back from the house. “Buffy will never allow that,” Angel whispered, somewhat sadly. “She’ll die before she leaves you, willingly, William. Just as you will die, again, if you two are parted, ever.”

“What I don’t undertand,” Angel thought outloud, “is ‘why’ Giles would bring Ethan Rayne into this? He must be desperate, Giles that is. Unless…” Angel left the sentence to hang, a scowl on his handsome mouth.

“Unless what?” Spike asked anxiously.

“Unless Ripper is about to make an appearance,” Angel stammered, glaring at the house again.

“Ripper?” Spike asked, confused.

“Ripper is Giles’ alter ego. His bad boy personna, just like Spike’s is your William’s. Like mine in Angelus,” Angel looked at the ground, a guilty expression in his eyes.

“What does this Ripper do,” Spike asked, warily of his grandsire.

“He’s nearly as powerful, in the dark arts, as Rayne. Back in the 70’s, I met up with Ripper and Rayne, in London. Apart? They’re powerful, yes. But together? Rupert Giles, ex-librarian is formidable, for various reasons. Ripper? He’s savage and brutal. Don’t be fooled, William, Ripper is as formidable as another strong vampire.”

“Only Ripper would enlist the help of Ethan Rayne. It’s Giles’ last stand, his last desperate shot at taking Buffy away from you, Spike.”

Angel gave his childer a sympathetic smile, then patted the younger vampire’s arm, almost affectionately.

“Again,” Angel began in a strong, clear voice, “Buffy is ‘yours’ and she loves you William. Just as you love her. No one can tear you two apart, I believe that.”

“Thank you Peaches,” Spike whispered, staring at the hated house where his love was held captive. “But something worries me,” the blond vampire stammered. “What will this Rayne and this Ripper, if he shows up. What will they do to my Buffy?” Spike felt sick with concern, but he tried to push it back down, inside of him. It would do no good to show Angel any more of his weakness.

“I don’t know,” Angel answered honestly. “Whatever ‘spell’ those two morons are working up? It won’t be pleasant, that you can be sure of.”

“I’m growing weaker,” Spike mumbled, pulling his arm away from Angel. “By the minute, I’m weakening,” he added matter-of-factly. “Buffy’s strong, like a demon, but she won’t last much longer then me. Will she Peaches?” William’s frustration flittered across his own alter ego, Spike’s, visage.

“No,” Angel replied, firmly, hating himself for being so fucking honest. “Damn soul,” Angel hissed, under his breath.

“But she’ll stand by you,” Angel assured Spike again. “Til undeath do you part, your mate will stick by you.”

“I know,” Spike murmered in awe of his wife. “She’s mine and I’m hers, until eternity.”

A loud, desperate ‘hiss’ interrupted Spike’s musings.

“Angel, Spike,” came a harsh, manly whisper from behind the cherub tree on Giles front lawn. “Over here,” Charles Gunn rasped loudly.

Spike and Angel headed over to the tree and joined Gunn, who stayed hidden behind it.

“Lindsey and me,” Gunn began, seriously, “we’ve got a line on Riley Finn. He’s at some frat house, on the Sunnydale University campus. Took off from Giles place this AM, I’m guessing. Headed home, or to classes, I suppose. Anyway, as soon as the fuckhead shows his ugly mug tomorrow? Lindsey and me, we’re gonna’ grab him. Question is…” the tall good looking man grinned at his employer and Angel’s grandchilde. “Where do we take GI Joe to. Once we’ve got him?”

“To Oz’s?” Angel answered, glancing at Spike, questioningly.

“Yeah,” Spike growled, but smirked. “Bring that fucking boy scout to Oz’s place. Wolfboy has okayed anything necessary to get my girl back to me.”

Spike turned and sauntered closer to Giles front door, just outside of the ‘magical barrier’ that kept him from his wife.

‘We’re going to win, Princess,’ he called to Buffy. ‘We’ll be together, soon.’

‘I know,’ Buffy called back, ‘hurry Spike please,’ she whimpered. ‘I’m getting all wiggy, dizzy or something. It feels like I’m so hungry, like I haven’t eaten in days. Is this normal?’

‘No,’ Spike growled, his anger flaring again. “How dare they do this my girl,” he hissed, enraged.

‘It’s not normal, but be strong, baby,’ Spike continued, trying to reassure his wife. ‘You are mine, Buffy,’ he assured her. ‘Always mine. And I’m always yours.’

Buffy lay in the bed, listening to her husband’s wonderful words. She barely registered the man who watched her from the doorway of the bedroom.

“What do you want?” Buffy hissed, glaring at Ethan Rayne, who now sauntered up to her bed, again. “Get the hell away from me, asshole,” she hissed, threateningly.

“But I want to talk to you Miss Summers,” Ethan purred seductively. “About so many things.”

“Why?” Buffy asked harshly, “why the hell are you here, now? Why would a slithering snake like you, Rayne, help Rupert Giles? What do ‘you’ get out of this?”

“For starters,” Ethan smiled, amicably as he sat on the bed, next to Buffy. “I get something I’ve wanted since setting foot in this hell hole, over a year ago.”

“And that is?” Buffy asked, sarcastically.

“You,” Rayne grinned, running his fine, manicured fingers down Buffy’s bare arm.






A/N: Hope that wasn’t too silly. I have a hard time writing sensitive vampires!!! Anyway, please read and review. Thanks, luv, Spuf