Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for reading this. I know it's been a while but I'm trying to pick up this fic again and bring it to a close.
DANCE OF THE MATES




Chapter 19: ‘It’s Starting…’


A/N: Buffy asks some questions and gets ‘some’ answers. Both Spike and Buffy start to ‘feel’ the pain of their seperation from each other.


“So, what’s in this, for you, Xand?” Buffy mumbled, weakly, at her ex-best male friend. Xander had slipped into Giles’ guest bedroom, just a few moments before, when Buffy was somewhat asleep.

“In it? For me?” Xander asked, all wide-eyed and innocent. “I only want what’s best for you, Buffster,” he muttered, defensively. “Just want you to be happy. In a ‘normal’ relationship and with…”

“Happy?” Buffy chuckled in a sarcastic tone. “If you truly want me happy Zeppo boy? Then get Willow to un-mojo these invisible chains and get me the fuck out of here!”

Xander began to back away from the Slayer, slowly, making his way to the door.

“That’s it, run, Xander,” Buffy hissed, “you’re so damn good at that, right?” She was beginning to feel pretty weak, all over and Buffy instinctively knew this had something to do with the claim between her and Spike.

“Everybody has a personal agenda, in this fucked up mess, Xander,” Buffy growled again, lowly. “Especially you, and Riley, and Ethan Rayne, maybe even Giles? Come on, Xand, you can tell me. What’s in it for you?”

“I told you,” Xander muttered, defensively, “I’m trying to ‘save’ you. Be your ‘white knight’ and all.” The dark haired teen’s explainantion might have flown, if he hadn’t whined as he was saying it.

“I have a ‘white knight’ Xander,” Buffy hissed. “My white knight, Spike. I love him and he loves me. I don’t need saving, Xander! Why don’t you just go home, Xander,” she sighed, exhausted again, “just go home to your girl and leave ‘us’ alone?”

“More like a dark Prince, Buff and remember,” the dark haired man sniffed. “I loved you first,” Xander whimpered before he escaped from the bedroom.

“And I never loved you at all,” Buffy countered at his retreating back. “At least not in that way,” she cried.

“Oh, just peachy!” Buffy hissed loudly, “unrequited love by Xander Harris. What next? Giles makes a fatherly arranged marriage for me? With Riley Finn?”

“Buffy,” Willow’s soft voice echoed through the room.

“Go away Wills,” Buffy whispered, suddenly more tired then she had ever been in her young life.

“I can’t, Buffy,” Willow sniffed as she sat on the bed, next to her Slayer friend. “I’m scared, for you, for me, for all of us, even Spike,”

Buffy looked at her friend in surprise, but closed her green eyes, virtually shutting out the sight of her best friend.

“You should have thought of that, Willow, before you conjured up some stupid spell to keep me here.”

“Are you okay?” Willow whimpered, trying to take Buffy’s tiny hand in hers.

Buffy pulled her hand away, abruptly and hissed, “don’t touch me. You don’t give a rat’s ass about me, Willow. All’s you care about is what Xander and Giles think is best for me!”

The Slayer’s green eyes shot lazers of fire at her so called best friend. “You want to know if I’m okay?” Buffy muttered in a tone mixed with sarcasm and pain.

“Well, I’m not okay. I feel like I am dying inside, something I know my mate, Spike is feeling. But do you care? Any of you? No,” Buffy growled, her brows scrunched in pain.

“It’s starting, already?” Willow asked, meekly. “The claim, it’s taking over, your disconnection is becoming physical? Oh, God, Buff, I’m so…”

“Don’t even say it, you traitorous bitch!” Buffy hissed at her once good friend. “I stood by you, with Oz. I backed your feelings for him. Xander didn’t, neither did Giles, but I did. So what do you do? The minute I choose an outsider as my mate? You turn your back on me and throw in with them.”

Buffy used her chin to point to the bedroom door. “Make no mistake Wills,” she mumbled, angrily, “Ethan Rayne will ‘overpower’ you and Giles. He’ll make things go his way and then? You, Xander, even Giles will be history, if Rayne has his way. You think you’re such a mighty witch, don’t you?” Buffy smirked at Willow.

“I’m okay,” Willow replied, her voice barely audible, even to Buffy.

“You are no match for Ethan Rayne, Willow Rosenberg. If he wanted, my so-called friend, he could break these chains from me, like now. Hell, he even offered to. All’s I have to do is accept Rayne’s terms and drag Spike along with me. He’ll spare us both, on one condition. Care to know what that is?”

“N…no,” Willow stuttered, suddenly standing up from the bed and scurrying to the bedroom door.

“Oh, by the way, Willow,” Buffy chuckled, “where’s Oz been lately? Haven’t seen him around. Odd, you two are usually living out of each other’s pockets, right?”

Willow shot Buffy a look of pain and rushed out of the bedroom door.


Angel paced back and forth, in Oz’s apartment, in front of the still tied up Riley Finn.

“You know,” Finn began with a smug voice, “if I don’t show up, for muster, that is? My brothers’ in arms will come looking for me.” Riley seemed quite pleased at this revelation and he grinned, snarkily at both Angel and Spike.

“Seriously doubt if you’ll be missed, mate,” Spike chuckled, lighting another cigarette. “I think you give yourself a little too much credit, Captain,” the blond vampire continued, as he blew smoke into Finn’s face.


“Those things will kill you, you know?” Riley hissed.

“I’m already dead, asshole,” Spike hissed back in a harsh tone.

“That’s the point, isn’t it?” Finn with a weak smirk. “You have no business with a fine, perfect girl like Buffy. But me? Why I can…”

“You couldn’t find your own dick in the daylight, fuckbrain!” Spike growled at Riley as he stormed over the couch. Staring his mortal enemy down, face to face, Spike glared into Finn’s stupid brown eyes.

“You think you deserve a ‘woman’ like my Buffy?” Spike hissed, his white teeth bared like a wolfs. “You’re not good enough to lick the ground my mate walks on. She has nothing but contempt for you, Finn,” Spike continued, smugly.

“Now? She hates your guts and believe me. If Rayne, or the Watcher or even Red figures out a way to break the claim? Which I doubt, by the way,” the vampire grinned, again smugly. “My Buffy will never, ever go back to you, Soldier Boy. Never. She can’t bear the thought of you touching her!”

Spike suddenly halted his tirade and grabbed his chest, a shocked look on his face. “Holy fuck!” he roared as he stumbled back and fell into one of Oz’s secondhand chairs.

Wesley, who had arrived moments before, hurried forward to check the blond vampire.

“It’s starting, Angel,” the ex-watcher muttered softly. “The disconnection from his mate is killing him. Or re-killing him that is, by inches. I can only imagine what poor Miss Summers is going through.”


“Buffy,” Spike hissed in horror, his chest wracked with pain.

“Why would it bother Buffy?” Riley asked, clueless, as usual. “If Spike dies, again, wouldn’t that help Buffy? Free her from all of this…”

“You just don’t get it, do you, asshole?” Angel growled, going to his grandchilde and taking him by the shoulders. Everyone in the room watched, in awe, as the older vampire, Angelus hugged his childer to him, almost lovingly.

“If my grandchilde dies,” Angel hissed, in a low, dangerous tone, “from being seperated from his mate? They love each other, human. Can’t be seperated from each other, for very long. It’s already been too long and both Buffy and Spike, here, are going to only get worse, physically that is.”

Angel held Spike to him, like a doting father might and faced Riley Finn with a murderous expression in his fine dark eyes.

“If my grandchilde dies from this seperation? Or his mate, Buffy dies? If either one of them suffers any pain repercussions from this fucking mess? I’ll tear you all apart, piece by nasty piece, Finn. Do you understand me?”

Riley Finn began to tremble, unfortunately, giving off the odor of fear that permeated the entire room. All of the beings present, vampire or not, felt the horror of Riley Finn.

“I’m okay, Angelus,” Spike mumbled, embarrassed by his momentary physical weakness.

“I believe it’s time for me to confront Rupert,” Wesley interjected with a firm nod of his handsome head. “I’ll take the BMW, drive over to Giles’ home and have a heart to heart with him. Should I reveal our ‘captive’ here, to Rupert and his cohorts?”


Wesley eyed Riley, with contempt, as he awaited his employer’s orders.

“You’re right, it’s time, Wes,” Angel motioned to the front door. “Take Gunn and Lindsey with you. They’ll up the odds and make sure that Giles and that idiot, Harris, understand that Spike and me will tear Finn here apart. Unless,” the older, dark haired vampire smiled, with an angel’s countenance. “Unless they release Buffy, immediately? Spike and me will rip Finn’s head off and use it as a basketball. Is that understood?”

“Quite,” Wesley replied in a subdued voice. “Shall we go, then, gentlemen?” He asked of the intimidating men in front of him.

“Let’s roll,” Gunn chuckled, always up for a good confrontation.

“Could you check in, with Cordy, Angel?” Wesley asked, quietly. “I know I shouldn’t be gone from her, at this time but…”

“I’ll call her for you, Wes,” Angel smiled warmly.

After Wesley, Lindsey and Gunn left, Oz offered to cook up some human type food for everyone. Heck, even Riley Finn, the hostage.

As Oz went about preparing some kind of breakfast, or lunch that is, Angel and Spike discussed their next set of plans. Riley watched, apprehensively, as these two still powerful vampires plotted their next moves to free Buffy.

“You’re getting weaker, by the minute, boy,” Angel stated, matter-of-factly. “Buffy must be a mess by now,” the older vampire added, sorrowfully.

“She better be all right, Angelus,” Spike hissed, again grabbing the area over where his human heart would have dwelled. “If they hurt her, or cause her to be hurt, I’ll…” the blond vampire growled in Riley’s direction, menacingly.

“You really think Buffy’s going through this too?” Riley asked in a subdued ‘concerned’ tone.

“I know she is,” Angel hissed at the human, angrily. “Spike’s a vampire and even though Buffy is powerful and strong? She won’t last as long as him. But, my grandchilde will follow his mate, quickly, into true death. That is unless they are allowed to reunite. You’d have done well to remember that, human!” Angel mumbled harshly at this human rival.

“But you loved her, once, too,” Riley whined, “can you stand there and tell me that you want Spike to end up with our Buffy?”

“First off,” Spike rasped, standing and closing the gap once again between him and Captain Cardboard, “Buffy is ‘mine’ only. Not yours, Peaches or anyones elses’. Get that through your fucking melon, Soldier Boy.”

“I still love Buffy,” Angel interjected, shutting his grandchilde up, momentarily. “But Buffy has made her choice. She chose William, or Spike as you know him,” the dark vampire frowned and glared at Riley. “I have no choice, myself, but to honor their sacred claim together and help them both,” Angel finished with a shrug.

“You’re turnin’ into quite the patriach, Grandpops!” Spike chuckled through another spasm of physical pain in his chest.

“Shut the fuck up, Willie,” Angel growled and stomped off into the kitchen.

“Grand Dad doesn’t like to be reminded that he’s now the true and only real Head of the Aurilius Clan. Gives him a sharp kick of broody pain in the gut. The guilt and all?” Spike eyed Riley, expectantly.

When the human feigned ignorance, Spike laughed out loud. “It’s the soul thing, asshole,” the vampire smirked in sadistic glee. “Peaches and his ‘cursed soul’ don’t mix with ‘damned vampire’ descriptives, you know? Kind of contradicts each other? Oh, shit, forget it,” Spike spat in disgust.

“Geesh! Vampires!” Riley sighed in frustration. The man appeared to finally close his brown eyes to get some rest. Apparently? It was gonna’ be a long, long day and night.


A/N: I wrote this chapter, to keep interest in the story. It’s been way too long. I’m thinking that I might get maybe three or four more chapters out of this. I hate to just ‘end’ it, abruptly, but then again, I think it’s time for our Spuffy couple to be reunited. Don’t you? (That and someone or make that some humans, are in for an ass kicking!)

Thanks for reading, please review. Luv, Spuf