Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for reading, please review.
DANCE OF THE MATES




Chapter 21: ‘Buffy Unbound!’



“So, is anyone going to let me know just what the hell is really going on here!” Joyce Summers roared again as she strode over to the bed where her daughter, Buffy was being ‘held’ against her will.

“I suppose we have ‘you’ to thank for calling in the re-enforcements, eh Wesley?” Giles groaned fearfully. The Watcher eyed Joyce, a little more then intimidated by this formidible woman.

“Actually, no,” Wesley countered, taking off his glasses and wiping them on his crisp, white shirt. “I believe it was my wife, Cordelia, that rang Mrs. Summers, on the telephone,” he grinned, a proud tone in his voice.

“It was,” Joyce growled at Rupert Giles, then glared at Xander and Willow. “Pity it had to be my daughter’s one time cheerleading rival who had to let me know what was happening, here. I’m really ashamed, of all of you,” Mrs. Summers hissed at the shamefaced people, Giles, Willow and Xander who were present in the room.

“Joyce,” Xander stammered, “we just wanted to protect Buffy, make sure that we get her away from that ‘thing’ she fell under the spell of and mated with…” Xander cringed in disgust at his own words.

“My daughter is perfectly capable of deciding who and what she mates with, Xander Harris,” Joyce snapped at the dark haired man. “And for the record? I’d rather have Buffy ‘mated’ as you so politely put it, to a real ‘man’ like Spike, then some other males I could think of!” Joyce glared at Xander Harris with total contempt.

“Get her out of this,” Joyce ordered Willow, specifically, having figured out who was behind the invisible chain crap. “You get my daughter out of this and set her free, Willow Rosenberg,” Joyce spat, “or I’ll rip your red hair out of your head, strand by strand and…”

“Joyce, please,” Giles gasped, “there’s no need for violence here. Willow was just trying to help us and Buffy. We believe she’s been seduced by Spike’s thrall and has no voice in this so…”

“Mom,” Buffy finally piped in, “there’s no thrall, no seduction, unless you consider the great sex that Spike and me have together that is. I…”

“Buffy, please,” Joyce sighed heavily, “I don’t want to hear about my daughter’s sex life, even if it is with her mate. However,” Mama Summers spun back around and glowered at Giles, Xander and Willow, oh, and on this ‘newcomer’ guy with them. “If you don’t release my daughter, immediately? I’ll wreck such havoc on all of you that…wait a minute,” Joyce halted her tirade and really ‘scrutinized’ this new man who stood before her.

“I know you,” Joyce gasped in shock, “you’re the little maggot that orchestrated that Band Candy fiasco, from last year! You turned us all into teenagers again, through the candy and caused the mojo that ended in Giles and me….” Joyce turned ten shades of red and swallowed, hard. “Nevermind,” she gulped weakly.

Ethan Rayne raised his well plucked right eyebrow and smirked at the lovely Mrs. Summers. “Can you say ‘police car’ Mrs. Summers?” he chuckled, smugly.

“Whatever!” Joyce hissed, turning her wrath once again on Rupert Giles. “Make Willow break the chains on Buffy,” she ordered her daughter’s Watcher, firmly.

“Joyce,” Giles began, carefully.

“Don’t you Joyce me, you, you, sick old reprobate!” Joyce cried, angrily. “My daughter has given and given, for years, to you and your sadistic group of old bastards that you call the Council. She’s risked death, turning, horror at every corner, just because ‘you’ and a bunch of old control freak fucks said she should. That it was ‘her’ duty. Well, now she wants something for herself, with the ‘man’ she loves and I’ll be God damned if she’s not going to get it!”

Joyce looked as if she was about to explode, literally, from all of the righteous indignation that had built up inside of her. Her face was bright red, still, and her blue eyes burned with hatred and anger for everyone in the room. Everyone, except of course, Wesley and her own child, her Buffy.

“Mommy!” Buffy suddenly cried out in desperation, “it hurts!” the young woman shrieked, desperately. Tears of anguish began to pour down Buffy’s cheeks as the intense pain in her chest multiplied, by the second.

Joyce Summers threw her body onto her daughter’s prone one and cuddled her close. She then roared, once again at Willow, “release her!” before burying her face into her only child’s damp, chilled neck.

“I’m going to, Joyce,” Willow cried, her voice filled with agony and remorse. “Release….!” Willow began the magic chant to free her best friend from her invisible bonds.

“I think not,” Ethan Rayne hissed, striking Willow’s long arms down. He pushed the red headed would be witch aside, virtually silencing her, for the moment anyway.

“This little Slayer is mine now, you, none of you pathetic, useless morons have any say in this. Not anymore,” Rayne continued, smugly. “New game plan, Ripper,” the old wizard chuckled.

Rupert Giles looked physically ill by this time. Probably finally realizing that Ethan Rayne was as evil as always, no matter what he had promised.

“Buffy becomes ‘mine’ now, completely. I’ll take her, and her evil undead lover away with me. Don’t try and stop me, Ripper,” Ethan raised his fist and held it before Rupert Giles. “If you don’t let me leave here, safely, with the Slayer? I will make sure that her vampire mate is dust before the next sunrise and she will die, Rupert. Your precious Buffy will die from want of her dead mate. Do you understand, Ripper? I am more powerful then your little witch here,” Rayne grinned in contempt at the now fuming Willow.

“I’m more powerful then you ever hoped to be, Ripper,” Rayne spat in even more contempt at his one time friend. “You never understood that, did you Ripper? That you are a weak, worthless, useless piece of shit, Rupert Giles!”

‘Meanwhile, over at Oz’s’


Spike eyed Riley Finn, with contempt, wondering just how much of a headache it would cause to beat the shit out of old GI Joe here.

“What?” the now wide awake Riley asked Spike, warily. He’d seen the way Spike was watching him. Almost like he, Riley, was on the menu for Spike’s next meal.

“Just thinkin’ Captain,” Spike chuckled, wickedly. “About how it’d be worth a fucking migraine. To kick your sorry arse that is. For takin’ my baby, Buffy, and causing us this pain. But, you’re good at causing pain, aren’t you Cardboard man?”

“Fuck off,” Riley spat, confident that Spike wouldn’t do a damn thing to him. Not and risk major head pain in the process. Unfortunately? Riley did not truly understand how much Spike really loved Buffy and how much he wanted to avenge his mate.

Spike leapt up from his place on the chair, and before Angel could stop him, the blond vampire flung himself at Riley Finn. He began to pummel that smirking human, mercilessly, even as the chip in his brain flamed like a burning fire. Ignoring the searing, unbearable pain in his head, Spike continued to beat Riley senseless. After untieing the feckless human, Finn, of course. Spike was nothing, if not fair that is. To keep Riley tied up, while Spike kicked his arse? That just wouldn’t be cricket, now would it?

Angel stood back, watching his Grandchilder beat his old enemy, Riley Finn, to a pulp. It nearly killed the master vampire, Angelus, to see his childer, Spike, suffering the enabling pain of the piece of metal that this fool, Finn had helped ingage in his head. But he allowed the gory, brutal beating to take place anyway. Feeling a sense of self-satisfaction and pride at his Grandchilde’s strength and self-sacrifice in this tribal rite of revenge.

After all, Angel reasoned, Riley had helped the enemy take Spike’s mate from him. Aided them in binding and holding Buffy, for purely selfish, egotistical motives. Angel was not fooled, as Spike was not. Riley had hoped to secure Buffy for himself, after all this was finished and William the Bloody deserved retribution against his and his mate’s trespassers.

As Riley fell off the couch, nearly beaten to death, Spike fell backwards from his nemesis and back into the chair he had occupied earlier. Spike didn’t have a visible scratch or bruise on him, but Angel could tell that his Grandchilde was suffering, physically, in his head and heart. Terribly.


Before Angel could comfort his Granchilde’s distress, Spike reared back his handsome head and directed his gaze at the apartment window.

“Sunset!” Spike roared, suddenly. The blond vampire pushed himself up from the chair and stumbled, drunk like to the front door. “Let’s roll, Angelus,” Spike hissed at his Grandsire. “I’m going to go and break my Buffy out of that prison. Tonight!” he growled gleefully, his vampire and husbandly prowress overpowered the pain the chip had caused him, just moments before.

“I’m going too,” Oz offered, grabbing his car keys. “I’ll drive,” the short, red-headed wolf boy stated.

‘At Giles’

“So you think that we’ll just allow you to take Buffy out of here?” Willow finally spoke up. In her strongest, most indignant Willow voice, that is.

“You have no choice, little Witch,” Ethan chortled, evilly. “I’ll take what I want, no worries there. And Buffy is what I want. Even if it means having to drag that worthless vampire scum with her, to make the deal complete. Eh, Slayer?” Rayne grinned at Buffy, who frowned back at him.

“You can’t just accept this ‘thing’ between Buffy and Spike!” Xander cried in disgust. “Take Buffy, if you have to, Rayne,” Xander continued, stunned. “But at least kill off the evil undead thing that’s confused her,” he pleaded. “I’ll go with you,” Xander rambled, ignoring the horrified looks from the rest of the humans present. “I’ll ‘help’ you with Buffy and…”

“You’re a fool, little boy,” Ethan hissed at Xander in contempt. “I don’t need you, you little worm. Don’t need you or even that vampire your Slayer is so hot for!”

“Enough!” Willow screamed loudly. “I’ll free you, Buffy,” the red head whimpered, rushing over to the bed to join her friend and Joyce. “I ‘will’ release you from this binding spell and break the barrier around this house!”

“Oh Fea,” Willow began, reverently, “nasgaidh…”

Rayne broke Willow’s concentration with his own spell words, his face contorted in powerful anger:

“Potens unus,” Rayne began his steady chant in Latin, “necto sua ut mei!” He continued, in a gruff even voice. (This translates from Latin to) Mighty one, bind her to me…


Willow leapt at Ethan Rayne and pushed him, with all of her strength to the floor. The little witch began her own chant, again as she held her hands out and down over Rayne, menacingly.

“Oh mor Fea,” Willow cried loudly, nasgaidh an, a’ saoi abh a’ aiteam!” (Translates from Olde Irish/Gaelic into English: “Oh great Fea; release her, the warrior of the people!”)

Buffy felt the restrainsts that had bound her, for days now, fall from her hands, wrists and ankles. She lay there, on the little bed/prison that had held her for what seemed like months, for just a moment longer. Getting her bearings, so to speak.

As Buffy rose from the bed, she gently moved her mother off of her and stared at Xander Harris. “Here puppy,” Buffy hissed, sarcastically as she closed the gap between her and Xander.

Xander stepped back, quickly, trying to make a run for the bedroom door. He stumbled and fell to the floor, right next to Ethan Rayne.

“You really need to work on your dance steps, Xand. You’re a bit clumsy on the uptake,” Buffy chuckled wickedly, pulling her ex-best friend up from the floor. She raised Xander up to meet her glare, face-to-face, and then oddly enough, grinned, maliciously at him.

“It’s payback time, little buddy,” Buffy purred, silkily as she drew back her right arm. The one that had just regained it’s strength, shockingly quickly, that is.

Buffy pulled back her right arm and then swung her right fist, full force, into Xander’s terrified, stupid face. Xander flew from Buffy’s clutches, backwards into the guestroom wall. His body hit the wall and fell, useless onto the floor there.

When Buffy was satisfied that Xander would be ‘out’ for a while, she turned her vengeful glare down on Ethan Rayne, who still lay on the floor of the bedroom. Buffy leaned over, grasped Ethan by his collar and pulled him, roughly up off of the floor.

“Remember me?” Buffy chuckled, wickedly at her nemesis. She gave Rayne the evillest, most self-righteous ‘look’ she could manage.

Meanwhile, outside, around Giles’ house? The barrier that kept Spike and all other vampires and demons, and yes, even Lindsey and Gunn out? It cracked into a million invisible pieces, even as Buffy began to kick Ethan Rayne’s sorry ass.

Spike, Angel and Oz arrived, outside on Giles’ lawn, just in time. Just in time to ‘hear’ the clear barrier crack apart and disintegrate before them.

A/N: I had to end this chapter here. I hope it was ‘vengeful’ enough. For now anyway as far as our Spuffy couple are concerned!

Oh, ‘Fea’ is the old Irish Goddess of War or Battle. I thought this was appropriate here.

Next chapter? The reunion! Thanks for reading, please review, luv Spuf.