DANCE OF THE MATES


Chapter 3: ‘The Pre-Dance’


“It’s about you and me,” Spike repeated hoarsely, “how we feel about each other.” He refused to allow Buffy to avoid his gaze, holding her tiny chin in his strong left hand, forcing her to meet his eyes with her opal green ones.

“You know bloody well why I came back to Sunnydale,” he continued, “and it had nothing to do with ‘killing’ you.”

Buffy shook her head out of his clasp, “oh, so the whole Ring of Amara thing last month. You walking in daylight, attacking me on my school campus? Uh, what was that, a love ritual?” she retorted snarkily, a harsh, but sad expression on her sweet mouth.

Spike pulled her chin up to look into her eyes, now emerald in color and noted the sorrow in them. “I was pissed off,” he growled at her, brushing aside the sympathy he felt at the moment. “You’d let that fucking little whelp, Parker whatever, fuck you and it had pissed me off. That’s why I attacked you, I never would have killed you. Not quite the dance that I had in mind for you and me,” he finished with what he hoped was a sensual grin.

Buffy shivered under Spike’s close scrutiny, of course the sexual innuendo in his eyes and voice did add to the tinglys shooting through her body. Suddenly, Buffy didn’t feel all that smug about her earlier words, ‘wanted to look especially hot for him (Riley)’ right now. In fact, she wasn’t feeling smug at all, just a little (?) lustful, and certainly not for Riley.

“Say something,” Spike ordered huskily, running his cool fingers down her left facial cheek.

“I, uhm, uhm…” Buffy whispered, unable to avert her eyes from his, “you hurt me,” she finally choked out, trying not to let the threatening tears fall.

Spike looked confused for a moment, then a light seemed to dawn in his indigo blue eyes, alerting her that he now understood.

“You mean that bloody rot I said about Parker and you, ‘the not worth a second go crap’ and about my dear old Grandsire, Peaches the worthless prick?”

Spike felt a tug at his cold dead heart and unwelcome remorse swept over him.

‘She believed me,’ he sighed to himself, sorrowfully, ‘every last bit of lies and hurtful things I said to her. She believed it all.’

Buffy finally broke from his gaze, lowering her head and nodding timidly, “it hurt me, Spike, much more then any of your physical slaps,” she whispered sadly.

“Oh, Buffy,” Spike pulled her chin up again as he tried to convey all of his regret for those ugly words then, “I was so full of shit about that. I only said them because I was furious that you let that little prick Parker have a go with you. Angel was at least worthy of you, somewhat, but Parker? He’s not good enough to kiss your arse. You didn’t let him did you? I mean kiss your arse?”

Spike just knew he looked like a real love sick ponce and was quite glad there were no mirrors about to see himself in. Not that ‘that’ would matter anyway, as he couldn’t see his reflection anyway, evil undead master vampire that he was.

“Buffy,” Spike sighed again, almost as if he ‘had’ to take breaths, “I didn’t mean any of that crap when that whole Ring of Amara fiasco happened. You are most definitely worth a second go, at least I’m sure you are, having never had the privlege myself,” and he grinned warmly at her, trying to illicit some laughter or at least a small smile from her.

Buffy looked at him with wide green eyes full of hope and confusion. “So,” she stammered in a very low, very arousing (at least to him) tone, “why exactly come back to Sunnydale, I mean, if you didn’t come back to kill me To dance with me?”

She batted her gold dusted lashes and rewarded him with just the slightest naughty smirk.

“You know why,” he rasped, leaning his own face closer into hers, “I came back for you all right, but never to kill you, luv. I came back to love you, just mucked up my whole Spuffy reunion plan. Way most of my half arsed plans end up. Fucked,” he chuckled with derision.

“Spuffy?” Buffy asked, her head tilted to one side, “what’s Spuffy?”

Spike actually felt himself blush, ‘un-fucking-believable’ he thought to himself, ‘vampires simply do not blush!’

“Spuffy,” he hesitated almost bashfully, “well, it’s what I call us. You know, Spike + Buffy = Spuffy. I know,” he chuckled, “it’s a bloody ridiculous moniker, especially for a master vampire and slayer, but it’s all I could come up with and……”

Buffy didn’t hesitate, she grabbed Spike’s face with both of her tiny powerful hands and pulled his yummy looking mouth into hers. If he was shocked, or stunned or even mildly surprised, he shook it off fast and began to devour her lips, greedily, with his own.

“I love you, Buffy,” he moaned into her mouth, “I’ve loved you forever, just was too fucking stupid to realize it for a long time,” he finished by nuzzling her neck with his cool, soft lips.

“I saw you in a dream,” she murmered as she stroked his bleached platinum hair tenderly. He pulled back and looked so stunned that she almost giggled in his face, but controlled herself.

“I did,” she nodded, smiling instead, “years ago, just after I was called, before you ever showed your handsome face in Sunnydale. Slayer dreams are prophetic you know, at least Gile’s says that.”

Spike stopped looking so stunned and favored her with a shy smile, “what dream,” he asked quietly, tucking a blond tress behind her ear, “what happened in your dream.”

Spike was mesmerized by Buffy’s expression and her soft voice as she explained her dream from years ago to him. It amazed him that this was so, because he had dreamed of her years before also, right down to her opaline green eyes and funny little nose.

“I dreamed it more then once,” she sighed shyly, “at least ten times, I think. I kept dreaming about a ‘special’ vampire, not just any old one, but a real special vampire.”

He grinned at her, some of his cockiness returning to his expression, “well of course ‘I’m’ special, luv,” he admitted silkily.

“No,” Buffy slapped at him, but in fun only, “I mean it. I kept having this dream that this vampire, never saw his face, not until the last time I dreamed it, but anyway, I kept having this dream that a master vampire came to Sunnydale. He was strong and handsome, that much I was sure of, but more then that he loved me, very very much in the dream and I loved him, even though we were always at odds with each other. At first, when I first got to know Angel…”

Spike cringed and dropped his cocky grin, “fuck Angelus!” he growled menacingly.

“No,” Buffy sighed in exasperation, “I just thought, that when I met him, I thought ‘he’ was the vampire from my dream. But,” she paused, “no, he was definitely ‘not’ my dream vampire. The last time I dreamed the dream, it was just before you and Drusilla hit town the first time. That last dream, I saw my shadowy vampire, kind of anyway, saw his sillouette in the moonlight. He, my dream vampire, he had silver hair and wore all black. It was you, Spike, it was always you.”

Spike smiled once more and wrapped Buffy in his powerful arms, “Drusilla, she knew Buffy,” he chuckled in her ear. “She was well aware of my loving you long ago, knew just where to find you and bring me to you. I hope she’s happy, whoever or whatever she ended up with.”

He felt Buffy smile against his cheek, “me too,” she added quietly. “So,” Buffy pulled away from Spike briefly and asked seriously, “what now?”

He kissed her sweet mouth again and smiled at her warmly, “now, we make love together, consumate this Spuffy prophecy of ours. That’s what. I love you, Buffy, totally.”

Buffy snuggled back into his arms and sighed dreamily, “love you too, Spike.”


A/N: Had a minute, submitted this chapter. All seems well, now, huh? Not so, I’m afraid. The title says it all ‘Dance of the Mates’ and in the next couple of chapters, our ‘mates’ Spike/Buffy will not only consumate their love, well…we’ll just read it, huh? Tee Hee…

Now, of course, Spuffy lovers don’t mind Spike and Buffy ‘getting together’ but there’s others in Sunnydale that will not be amused.

The next chapters should definitely be NC-17 rated! Thanks for reading, please review. Luv, Spuf