Chapter 3


“She’s WHAT?”

“Pregnant”

“Who by?”

“Well duh, Spike of course!” Wesley said with exasperation. Angel was having none of it.

“Shyeah, right! Hello, he’s a soulless vampire!”

“Er…you haven’t exactly been kept up to speed on things, have you?”

“’Bout what?” Angel sat back in his leather office chair, he hands clasped behind his head.

“Spike isn’t soulless anymore” Wesley poured himself a brandy and seated himself opposite Angel’s desk.

“Oh gods! Don’t tell me the PTB are giving away a ‘two for one’ offer, get the slayer knocked up and grab a free soul into the bargain!”

“No, nothing like that…last year, he went to Africa, and did The Trials, and won through” Angel frowned, his hands slowly loosened from behind his head as he sat forward slowly.

“He what?”

“Went to Africa.” Wesley said, nodding

“And did…

“Did The Trials of Shalimar, yes. And amazingly, he won through”

“But, well I thought…well, it was said nobody had ever completed the tasks before…they were…impossible! This can’t be true Wesley. I mean, I know he’s a good scrapper, but those trials are-“

“Phenomenal, involve immeasurable pain and suffering…he did it Angel. As much as you don’t want to believe it, he did it. And surprisingly enough, he did it for Buffy”

“I don’t believe it!” Angel said quietly.

“Well, there you go, whether you want to believe it or not, what can’t speak can’t lie” Wesley tossed a disc file onto the desk in front of him.

“S’all on there, you can see for yourself” Wesley drained his brandy, and left the office. Slowly, Angel took the disc out of the cardboard sleeve and inserted it into the computer, and then he began to read the information…After reading everything half dozen times, he popped the disc out, and slipped it back into it’s cardboard sleeve, he sat brooding, lost in a reverie, tapping the disc cover against his lips.

“Oh, you are in. Only I knocked, twice actually, but you didn’t…Angel, ANGEL” Gunn said, putting his head around the door..

“Hmm?”

“Are you ok, man?”

“Oh, erm…I’ve been better…what do you want?”

“Want to watch me mediate on behalf of Wolfram and Hart on this…” he didn’t finish the sentence. He’d been preening himself, but knew by the look on Angel’s face, that he didn’t.

“You carry on, Charles…I’m sure you’ll do a great job”

It wasn’t very often that Angel called him by his first name; he must have something on his mind…………Gunn thought as he made his way to the lifts.

“Wait for me!” Gunn held the doors open and Harmony joined him.

“Fourth please…so, you off somewhere nice – you look very spiffy”

“Oh, just putting our case to some big demon corporate thing…not that the boss seems much bothered” Gunn said moodily, looking at his shoes.

“Well you might know why………Wes has told him something about the slayer, and that slayer loving freak…always puts him in a mood”

“Any idea what it’s about?”

Harmony shrugged and said,

“I have NO idea, and no wish to either – well, here’s my stop – good luck!” She got out, and Gunn continued to the ground floor.

The truth of the matter was, Harmony had tried every which way but loose to find out what Wesley had been so excited over – she’d heard him talking animatedly on the phone to that Giles bloke – Buffy’s watcher – and even nosying around Wesley’s desk didn’t reveal anything. She needed Angel to be in a good mood – huh, FAT chance of that now if what Wesley told him had upset him……………

*************


“So, we reckon it’s due roughly two months before my birthday, around September the 15” Buffy said, and Giles nodded, and then said seriously,

“I’d like a friend of mine to have a look at you, Dr Moss, ex-Watchers council”

“Why?”

“Because, well – I thought that you’d need to see somebody, to monitor how the baby is doing and-“

“But I have my own doctor for that, Dr Edmonds – they do a special pre-natal clinic, ante natal classes and everything – they even do them in the evenings so the dad’s can be there without having to have time off from work, so Spike will be able to come with me” Buffy said.

Giles stood and took off his glasses, turned and faced them both. Spike was holding Buffy’s hand reassuringly.

“Buffy…this – this baby you’re carrying…we don’t know what it is” Giles said

Both Buffy and Spike frowned, and Buffy said,

“What do you mean ‘don’t know what it is,’ it’s going to be a baby for the gods sake!”

“Keep calm, babe, Giles what exactly do you mean? Spike said, trying himself to keep calm.

“Well, you’re a vampire – we don’t know if the infant will be a – a hybrid of some sort, half human, half vampire – where it’ll need to feed on blood – these things ned to be checked before hand” Buffy looked worriedly at Spike, and shook her head, but said nothing

“It’s okay babe…” Spike whispered to Buffy, giving her hand a gentle squeeze

“No Giles, the scroll said the union, OUR union, was blessed – basically for good deeds done, a – a reward if you like – it didn’t say anything about the baby being different – which I assume, as it was from the PTB, it would have said, so we’re going to do this exactly how Buffy wants to do this”

“But-“ Giles began

“But nothing! Besides which, I’m not having my girl treated like some bloody lab-rat for your lot to experiment on, you got that – right, come on pet, let’s go before I loose my temper” Spike held the door open and Buffy followed him out.

“Buffy…is that what you want?” Giles stood behind his desk and slipped his glasses back on.

She turned in the doorway and said,

“Yes Giles, my life is weird enough, I want everything as normal as possible for my baby” she was absently rubbing her tummy while she spoke.

“Very well – oh, and just one other thing, Spike said you’ve agreed to stop slaying – for the duration, is that right?”

“And a few months after” Spike chipped in, and Giles nodded

“I’ll give you a hand, don’t worry” Spike said

“Well, we shouldn’t have to worry too much, because in three weeks time, we’ll have another slayer”

Both Spike and Buffy, still standing in the doorway frowned at each other, and then looked at Giles.

“Faith is due out the Greenvale Correctional Facility for Women in 20 days time”

“FAITH? – Terrific!” Buffy said, looking disgusted.

“What – whose Faith?” Spike asked

“Long story – tell you when we get home – um baby, can we stop off at the store, I need to get a few things…” Buffy and Spike left.


*******


The following evening


“Well, it’s officially three days after my first missed period, so I’ve made an appointment with Dr Edmonds, I could only get a morning appointment baby, I’m sorry, but I was thinking of asking Willow to come with me, do you mind?”

Spike soaped and rinsed her back, leant forward and kissed her shoulder and said,

“Course not, I think she knows something is up, it’s been a fortnight now since we found out, and you haven’t been out patrolling once!”

“Come on Kitten, this water’s cold, lets get ourselves dry”