Chapter 4



“Well, come straight from lectures and have dinner with us, Spike’s going to do pasta”

“Yummy – okay then, see you around five-ish, bye!” Willow put the phone down.

Spike’s body-clock was in sync with Buffy’s now, and he slept most of the night, and was awake during the hours of daylight, but sometimes he needed an afternoon nap. It was one of those times today, he’d been out patrolling with Giles and was a little jaded. Buffy smiled at his sleeping form and went to do a little light housework.

Spike woke, yawned and stretched, he sensed Buffy in the room and tuned to see her with a yellow duster in her hand, she was polishing the photograph frame, the one that held the picture of her mother. She been rubbing the same side and staring off into space for a while now, lost in her reverie………

“Penny for your thoughts?” Spike came and cuddled her up from behind, slipping his arms around her middle and he dropped a soft kiss on her neck.

“Oh…I was just thinking…mom would have been over the moon at the news” She turned her head and smiled at him

“Annoyed at being a granny at her age mind, but well – you know”

“Yeah, I know pet…but she might have come after me with that bloody axe again, for getting HER baby into trouble!”

“No, she really did like you – she told me how you saved her getting scammed over some supposed Victorian prints once at the gallery…”

“Are you okay pet– not too sad or anything?”

“No, I’m fine” Buffy put the frame down back on top of the bookcase. Spike kissed her cheek.

“Good, want some tea?”

“Hmm, please – oh, I phoned Willow, she’s coming for dinner – straight from lectures, I told her we were having pasta”

Spike shouted ‘okay’ from the kitchen.

Buffy went and joined Spike in the kitchen. She sat on one of the stools at the breakfast counter and watched as Spike made the tea.

“Babe, I was thinking…I know I jumped in and sort of stuck my oar in with Giles, but, well, if you decide you want to let that Dr friend of his have a look at you, I won’t be mad at you – if it’ll give you peace of mind” He placed a steaming mug in front of her.

“Nope – like you say, I’m not a lab-rat – I’m happy with the way we’re going to do things” Buffy grinned at him

“Okay pet, but you know, if you want to change your mind, just say…right – pasta you said, – well, it just so happens………I went to that Italian deli and bought some fresh stuff, and what sauce do you want with it?”

“That chunky tomato one you do with basil…it’s yummy – and mushrooms in it too!”

“Good girl! – Nice and healthy - you look tired pet, why don’t you go put your feet up and have a rest until Red comes”

And Buffy did just that!

***********


“Hmm – goodness Spike – all those afternoons watching the cookery programmes certainly paid off – this sauce is amazing!” Willow relished every mouthful.

“Glad you like it Red, more salad?”

“Thanks…so, what’s this news you’ve got to tell me then?”

“Um…well, just make sure you’re not chewing anything first, I would hate for you to choke!” Buffy said, grinning at Spike, who reached for Buffy’s hand.

“O-okay………there, all gone, you’ve got me worried now…what’s up?”

“I’m having a baby - me and Spike we’re having a baby” Both Buffy and Spike were grinning their head’s off.

“You’re – oh goddess – that’s just…I – sorry, congratulations!” She jumped and put her arm around both of them, giving them a squeeze.

“Well, you don’t seem surprised – I thought you’d ask how first!” Buffy said

“How – Buffy – I know how!”

“No, I mean, you know, how come Spike can – you know – father children him being a vampire n’all!”

“Hey, Hellmouth – not that I’m saying it’s a demon or anything, don’t get me wrong, but strangeness and odd things happening – goes with the territory – nothing fazes me now! A baby – that’s so…fantastic! Who else knows?

“Well, Giles of course, Wesley told him, but you’re the first person we’ve told”

“I’m honoured – Wesley you say, huh? – Does that mean, um, you-know-who might know too?”

Buffy shrugged and said,

“Don’t know, don’t care, it’s none of his business…it, well, it’s a prophecy – reward for services rendered, if you like – and I’m due around the 15th of September”

“Wow…Buffy – you’re having a baby! – Oh! I’m SO happy for you both!”

“Thanks Will…are you busy tomorrow morning?”

“Um, let me think…Friday, no – I’ve got one lecture after lunch, why?”

“Come to the doctors surgery with me – I could only get a daytime appointment”

“Wow – course I will!”

“Thanks Red – that’ll be a load off my mind…oh, are you going to tell her the bad news now?” Spike said, picking up the empty plates. Willow immediately looked worried and looked at Buffy

“Bad news?”

“Well, you know I haven’t been patrolling…”

“Yes, oh, don’t tell me you’ve lost your slayer powers?”

“No, nothing like that…it’s Faith, she gets let out of the Correctional Facility in three weeks, she’s coming here to take my place”

“Oh god – has it been four years since she…”

“Let out for good behaviour – just as long as she keeps well away from me and Spike, that’s all!”

“Yeah, me too – do you think she’s better now?” Willow asked, frowning. Buffy shrugged, and then sat up delightedly as Spike bought in a tub of real Italian ice cream.

“Dessert, anyone?”

“Ooooohhhhh yeah! Me, me, me, me, me!!!” Buffy waved her spoon in the air.

“Well, I’ll leave you to it, don’t let her be greedy with it Red, there’s a pint there – make sure you have your share – ay-up bang on time, that’ll be Giles – I’ll see you later kitten, and thanks for saying you’ll go with her tomorrow, Red, I appreciate it!”

Spike dropped a light kiss on Buffy’s head as she was eating, and went to meet Giles in his car outside so they could go patrolling.



Friday lunchtime came, and Buffy came back from the doctors, with armfuls of literature, and some bottles of vitamins.

“Everything ok, love?” Spike looked worried. Buffy kissed him.

“Fine baby, just peachy, don’t worry – dying for a cuppa though!”

“Right on it”

Ten minutes later, Buffy and Willow wandered into the kitchen as there was no tea……… Spike was sitting at the breakfast counter, engrossed in reading one of the booklets she’d bought home.

Both girls smiled at each other, then at him.

“Er, baby, tea?”

“Hmm? – Did you know, it says here, that in the first trimester, the baby grows at a fantastic rate, and you use vitamins up at…sorry, what did you say?”

“Tea?”

“Oh, um, yes, sorry – got side tracked.” Grinning sheepishly, he put the booklet down, re-boiled the kettle, and made tea, went to get the milk out of the fridge.

“Right, this can go, and this, and you’re not eating this, or that…that’s out too” Buffy watched a mounting pile on the counter, Cola, Seven Up, Squeezy Cheese, leftover pizza and Baloney………

“Why not?”

“Coz it’s full of sugar and salts and colours and additives…you’ve got to have Whole milk and cereals, fresh fruit and vegetables, salads, lean meat, poultry and fish, wholemeal bread, so it say’s here” Spike indicated the book. Willow smiled. Buffy had her brows raised, pulled a brown paper bag out of her bag, and delved in, ate a cherry.

“Are those washed?” Spike asked sternly.

“Uh huh. Missing something, though” She went to the cupboard, took out the mayo.

“Ah-ah, no” he took the jar off her, put it back into the cupboard.

“But…” She frowned

“I said, no!” Spike said firmly.

“Why not?” Buffy blinked big eyed at him. In a softer tone, he said,

“Because it’s raw eggs, can be bad for the baby, look” He ran his finger under the ‘Foods to be avoided during pregnancy’ section, along with things like unpasturised cheeses, pates, raw fish and offal. She pouted. Willow knew, despite this ‘you’ll do as you’re told’ attitude, secretly, they both loved it, it would make Buffy feel all protected and loved, and let Spike feel he was caring for her even more than usual.

“Oh, Miss Pouty…Look at that lip…gonna get it…gonna get it! (Spike pounced and kissed her gently) What do you want for dinner?”

“Er, Pizza?”

“No, I was thinking chicken. With fresh veg.” Frowning, Buffy said,

“Chicken………okay stir fry?” She asked, hopefully, eyebrows raised.

“Homemade – coz you don’t need the MSG in take-out stuff?” Spike asked

“Hmm, yeah – with bell peppers and mushrooms and green onions?” Buffy salivated.

“Sure, I can do that for you, soft noodles, or brown rice?” Spike asked.
Buffy smiled and shrugged,

“Don’t mind…Spi-ike…”

“Ye-e-e-e-s?” He sing-songed back.

“Make me an omelette for lunch, please?” She looked at him big eyed.

“Ok baby, you got it”

Willow watched the pair bemusedly. She’d never seen two beings more steeped and happy in domestic bliss!

“Er, sorry to interrupt folks, but I have to go, I’ve got a lecture at 2pm”

“Okay Red, thanks for going with her today” Spike said, kissing Willow on the cheek.

“I’ll ring you sometime this weekend – take care, bye!”

“Bye Will, and thanks!” Buffy waved her friend off.