A/N This was the point where either Dru could come back into the picture and stir up trouble or I could leave the poor kids alone and I realized…I have enough angst in my fics, they need a break :-) So for those who were wondering, Dru won’t return. Thank (as always) to Allison and to pj for all their help and for songgal1 for suggesting this song (although I was thinking of the Rod Stewart version) :-)



Chapter 20 – When I Need You


Walking out of the club, Buffy was mildly surprised to see a limousine outside the door.

‘Must be a VIP,’ she thought as she continued walking along the sidewalk, wanting nothing more than to go home and curl up in her favorite pajamas after such a hard night of work.

“Miss Summers?”

Turning around, Buffy looked around before her eyes settled on the limo driver, looking at him with a questioning gaze.

“I’ve been instructed to give you this.”

Hesitantly taking the envelope that was in his outstretched hand, Buffy’s brows knit together as she opened it and pulled out the piece of cream-colored stationary. Smiling when she recognized Spike’s familiar handwriting, she let her finger run along the frayed edge of the paper as she read the note.

Happy Anniversary, Goldilocks.
I know it’s only been a month, but what can
I say…I couldn’t wait. Let the limo take you
to the destination and I’ll see you soon.

All my love,

Will


The smile on her face broadened as she wiped away the tears that were rapidly beginning to slip down her cheeks before turning toward the driver. “I’m supposed to go with you?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Any way you can tell me what’s going on?” she asked as he helped her into the back of the limo, watching as the driver chuckled.

“I’m afraid that he wouldn’t even tell me what was happening.”

“Figures,” she muttered good-naturedly.

* * * * *

Not surprised when the limo pulled in front of William’s apartment building, Buffy slowly exited the car and looked at the building with a raised eyebrow.

“What do you have planned, Mr. Thornton,” she said softly to herself.

Walking through the building and into the elevator, she fidgeted with her clothes and grabbed a comb out of her purse, smoothing out her hair before quickly tucking it away and listening to the familiar ‘ding’ of the bell, announcing that she was on William’s floor.

Biting her lip as she walked through the hallway, Buffy stopped in front of his apartment and took a deep breath. Knocking on the door, she frowned when it opened under the pressure of her hand.

The frown soon melted away when she saw the glow of candlelight meet her eyes. Looking around in amazement, her lips parted as she looked at the rose petals that covered the floor. Walking into the apartment and shutting the door behind her, Buffy smiled when she saw Spike sitting on a leather ottoman, an ice bucket with a bottle of sparkling grape juice sitting next to him. She had to smile at his choice, grateful that he was still showing her how much he had changed.

“What is all this?” she asked, the smile never leaving her face as she tilted her head to look at him.

“Just wanted to show you how much you mean to me, pet,” he said softly. “Sit down.”

Buffy looked over as he gestured to the ottoman across from him. Narrowing her eyes slightly as she wondered what he was up to and why he didn’t get up and greet her with a kiss, she merely shook her head and took the offered seat.

“Now, what’s this all…”

Trailing off when she saw him reach behind him and lift up his guitar, her face flushed when she realized what he was planning. Gently strumming the chords, Buffy breathed a sigh of relief as his voice carried throughout the room, drifting toward her.

“When I need you
I just close my eyes and I'm with you
And all that I so want to give you
it's only a heart beat away

When I need love
I hold out my hand and I touch love
I never knew there was so much love
keeping me warm night and day

Miles and miles of empty space in between us
A telephone can't take the place of your smile
But you know I won't be traveling forever
It's cold out but hold out and do like I do

When I need you
I just close my eyes and I'm with you
And all that I so want to give you baby
it's only a heart beat away

It's not easy when the road is your driver
Honey that's a heavy load that we bear
But you know I won't be traveling a lifetime
It's cold out so hold out and do like I do

When I need you

When I need love
I hold out my hands and I touch love
I never knew there was so much love
keeping me warm night and day

When I need you
I close my eyes
I hold out my hand and I've got you darlin'
It's only a heart beat away
Now listen
When I need you darlin'
I hold you, feel ya
Give it to me baby

And I miss ya baby
Just close my eyes and I'm with you
And I need you tonight
You know it's only a heart beat away.”

Buffy looked down, trying to steady her breathing as she sniffled back the tears, listening to him put the guitar on the floor before slowly getting up and walking toward her.

Gently taking her hand in his and pulling her to her feet, Spike let his hand gently cup her face. His thumb brushed along her cheekbone, directing her gaze toward him.

Looking up at him with eyes filled with unshed tears, Buffy took a deep breath. “I love you, William. I love you so much.”

Spike felt as if his heart was constricting as he looked into her eyes, hearing the sincerity in her voice. Bringing his lips to hers in a tender kiss, he felt complete for the first time in months. Letting his lips play over hers for a moment, he slowly pulled away. “I’m so sorry,” he whispered. “I never-”

“Shh,” Buffy said softly, placing a finger over his lips and shaking her head. “You’re not the same. I know that…I love you because of it.”

Kissing the tip of her finger, Spike slowly took her hands in his. “Tell me again,” he murmured, smiling as she blushed. “Please.”

Buffy smiled, tightening her hold on him. “I love you.”




Thanks so much to: spuffette, TammyAsh666, Tahmoe, SpuffyLovingJess, Crystal Pegasus, Caitie, samica, Cordykitten, bint, Alicia, Sevvy_O, BuffyandSpikeForever, Laine, gypsy_jin, spikes slayer, dreamgirl4eva, Franchesca, Slayer Rock Chick & Seraiza for reviewing!