Chapter 21 – Meet the Parents


Buffy smiled as she walked out of the club, seeing Spike leaning against a vintage Desoto.

“What’s this?” she asked in surprise, looking at the car.

“Little gift to myself,” he said with a smile, running his hand over the hood before pushing away from it and walking over to her.

“No more limos?” she asked in mild surprise.

“No,” he said, shaking his head. “Figured I’d try living life as a normal guy for a change.”

“Meaning?” Buffy asked skeptically, relaxing when his arms wrapped around her waist.

“Come home with me,” he whispered, looking at her with so much hope, Buffy felt her heart swell.

“Spike…we agreed to take it slow.”

“I don’t mean the apartment. I want you to meet my family. I’m going home for Christmas and I want you to be there.”

“I-I don’t know,” she said hesitantly.

“I’ll understand if you don’t want to,” he whispered. “We haven’t been together that long, but I wouldn’t feel right if I didn’t ask you.”

“So is this a pity invite or do you really want me to go?”

“Do you really have to ask me that?” Spike asked with a smile.

“When are you leaving?” Buffy asked, walking over to the car and letting her hand trail along the surface.

“Tomorrow,” he mumbled.

Tomorrow?” she asked in alarm. “And you’re just asking me this now?”

“I got a little nervous,” he muttered, unable to make eye contact with her.

Buffy immediately smiled. He looked so much like a little boy when he hung his head. “I have work,” she said softly.

“It’s alright, I already got your boss to give you a few days off.”

“You have got to stop doing that,” Buffy said with a smile.

“Yeah, but it’s fun,” he said, chuckling as she swatted his chest. “Besides, I don’t like the ponce.”

“You and me both,” she murmured. “When do we leave?”

Spike blinked at the sudden change in her attitude. “You really want to go?” he asked, somewhat surprised.

“Well…yeah,” she replied, giving him a bright smile.

Spike seemed to hesitate for a moment before giving her a shaky nod.

“Unless you really don’t want me to,” Buffy added, suddenly becoming unsure of his body language.

“I want you to,” Spike said quickly. “I just didn’t…I guess I thought…”

“You didn’t think I’d trust you enough to go away with you?”

“That about sums it up,” he muttered.

“Well, I do,” she whispered, wrapping her arms around his waist. “I trust you and I love you…isn’t that enough?”

“It’s enough,” he whispered, letting his fingertips trail along her arms. “I guess it still surprises me.”

“Well, don’t let it,” Buffy murmured, brushing a kiss along his lips. “What time are we leaving?”

“Early,” he whispered, leaning down to reclaim her lips for another brief kiss.

“Should I be nervous?” she asked with a smile.

“About my family? Terrified.” Seeing the shocked look cross her face, Spike had to laugh. “Kidding, pet. No,” he said, shaking his head. “You shouldn’t be nervous. They’ll welcome you with open arms.”

* * * * *

Fidgeting with her white sweater and straightening her light gray pants, Buffy tried to calm her nerves as Spike helped her out of the car. The house was a beautiful Victorian, sitting away from the main roads of the small town. Decorated with thousands of Christmas lights, strung along the sprawling porch and twining around the pine trees that were dispersed through the yard, Buffy had to smile at the homey environment that the house immediately offered.

“William!”

Hearing the swinging of the screen door as it hit the side of the house, Buffy’s gaze immediately flew back to the front, seeing a crowd of people running out. Suddenly feeling incredibly overwhelmed, Buffy found herself taking a step back but was immediately stopped when she felt Spike’s reassuring presence beside her.

“Mum,” he said with a smile, grabbing Buffy’s hand in his before walking forward and meeting his mother with a warm hug and a kiss on the cheek, never letting go of Buffy.

Feeling herself dragged along as Spike pulled her from person to person, she felt her face begin to turn red when everyone’s attention appeared to be on her.

“Alright,” Spike said, wrapping his arm around Buffy’s shoulders. “Everyone, this is Buffy,” he said with so much pride that the entire group seemed to beam back at him. “Buffy, you ready for this?” he whispered, loud enough for everyone to hear as they laughed. “This is my mother, Anne, stepfather Rupert, cousin Wesley and his wife Faith, cousin, from the other side, Andrew and sisters- Fred, Kate, and Darla and Darla’s husband Lindsey.”

Seeing the overwhelmed look on the young woman’s face, Anne quickly stepped up and wrapped her in a hug. “It’s so nice of you to join us,” she said with a warm smile.

“Thank you,” Buffy said shyly, feeling herself pried away from Spike as he talked to his stepfather, while the girls surrounded Buffy and began to lead her to the house.

“It’s so exciting to have you here,” Fred said with a bright smile.

“Yeah,” Darla agreed. “This is definitely a first.”

“What do you mean?” Buffy asked, looking between all of the women.

“This is the first time William has ever brought anyone home,” Anne said, her arm still wrapped around the woman who she knew would eventually be her daughter-in-law.

“He hasn’t?” Buffy asked in confusion, thinking of Drusilla.

“No,” Fred replied, shaking her head. “Not for anything, least of all for Christmas.”

Glancing over her shoulder, Buffy watched Spike as he talked to the men, showing off his car. Looking up, she blushed when he gave her a soft smile.

‘Love you,’ he mouthed, winking at her.

She smiled before blowing him a kiss and following his family into the house. It was definitely going to be a good Christmas.



Thanks so much to: TammyAsh666, Seraiza, Caitie, Tahmoe, Caatje, Juanita, Sevvy_O, Cordykitten, starhawk, Mari, gypsy_jin, Alicia, Laine, BuffyandSpikeForever, Crystal Pegasus, Franchesca, samica, bint, dreamgirl4eva & spikes slayer for reviewing!