Buffy and Spike walked down the hospital corridor, well, Spike walked and Buffy was dragged along by him. She was screaming for him to stop dragging her. Spike stopped and Buffy promised to walk along without running off.

They kept walking then sat down in the waiting room outside the doctor’s office.

“Don’t wanna go in there.” Buffy said with a pout.

“You’re acting like a child who doesn’t want to go to school now you are gonna have this ultrasound if I have to kill everyone in this room to do it.”

“Fine.” Buffy said and folded her arms.

“Buffy Summers.” The nurse called out ten minutes later.

“She’s not here.” Buffy shouted back before trying to run away. Spike grabbed her and dragged her into the doctor’s office. Buffy and Spike sat down and the doctor asked them a few questions.

“Buffy could you now get up on to the table.”

“Do I have a choice?”

“Not on my watch.” Spike said. Buffy jumped up on the table and lied down.

“This gel will be a little cold so get ready for it.” He squeezed a bit of gel onto Buffy’s stomach and started the ultrasound.

“There’s the heartbeat.” The doctor said. Buffy smiled and got a little tear in her eye. Spike was the same. He looked at the screen and saw a small image of a baby on there.

“Can you tell the sex yet?” Spike asked.

“Not at this point no but the baby is developing quite well. How far along are you Buffy?”

“About six weeks.”

“The baby is quite mature for this stage in the pregnancy. This is quite strange.” Buffy’s face dropped.

“Does that mean there’s something wrong?”

“Oh no no no. It just seems that it’s a bit far along that’s all.” Buffy gave a sigh of relief. The doctor finished up and gave Buffy and Spike the scan photos. They got into the car and Buffy started to stare at them. She couldn’t take her eyes off of them.

“That’s our baby. Ours.”

“Yeah, it’s a miracle isn’t it.” Spike answered. Buffy nodded and was silent the rest of the way.

………………………………………………………………………………………

“So the check-up went okay then? Sorry I couldn’t be there honey.”

“The check-up went great. The baby’s a bit mature for this stage in the pregnancy the doctor said but it’s cool. Everything’s great.” Buffy, Spike and Joyce were sitting at the island in the kitchen chatting about the baby and the ultrasound. Spike was listening attentively to the girls’ conversation and not interrupting. Joyce started talking about expenses and even though Spike had more jobs than a normal man, the income still wasn’t enough.

“I could get a job when the baby’s born. Maybe but who would look after him?” Buffy said.

“Your dad.” Spike replied.

“We can’t keep dumping the baby on him. It wouldn’t be fair.” Buffy said.

“It’s the least he could do with all the pain he put you through.”

“He was only trying to protect Angel who we now know has a mental problem.”

“Yeah, protect the guy who raped you and then put you through all the hassle of finding out who the baby’s father was!”

“It looks like the baby is causing all this arguing so maybe there shouldn’t be a baby!” By then, Joyce had quietly left and left them to argue.

“What’s that supposed to mean?!”

“You know exactly what it means William!” Spike’s face fell and he got a look of hurt in his eye. Buffy was lost for words so she ran upstairs to her and Spike’s room and flopped onto the bed. She hid her face in the pillow and started to sob. She heard footsteps ascending the stairs so she kept her face in the pillow. Spike appeared at the doorway and leant against the doorframe.

“You don’t mean that do you Buffy? I know you don’t. I saw that look in your eyes today at the hospital, you don’t want to get rid of the baby, if anything, you wanna keep it.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Last week I recall you were sobbing your heart out to me because Cordelia Chase wanted to hurt you and the baby. I also recall you saying that you loved this baby with all your heart and you couldn’t wait till it was born. Feelings like that don’t change.” Buffy lifted her head off the pillow and stood up she walked over to Spike and put her arms around him. She buried her head in his chest and sobbed.

“I’m so sorry Spike. I’m so sorry.”

“Sssshhh, it’s okay. Everything’s gonna be okay. We’ll just forget this whole thing ever happened.

……………………………………………………………………………………

Buffy woke up the next morning and looked at the clock.

“Shit. Late for school. Oh well, I just won’t go in today.” She got up and walked downstairs into the kitchen.

“Hi gorgeous!” Spike said as soon as she walked into the kitchen. Buffy smiled and sat down at the island.

“Want something to eat.”

“Eugh don’t make me think of food, I feel sick enough as it is. Oh no.” Buffy ran upstairs to the bathroom.

“Glad I’m not the one carrying that baby.” Spike poured some ginger ale, grabbed a few crackers and walked up to the bathroom. He walked in and Buffy was leaning up against the bathtub with her head in her hands. Spike sat down beside her and hugged her. She lifted her head and took the ginger ale. She drank it down and put a cracker in her mouth.

“Ya know, I was just getting used to all the other weird stuff in this pregnancy and now this comes.”

“Life’s a bitch.”

“Yeah.” Buffy got up and pulled Spike up along with her.

“Woah.” Buffy put a hand onto hr stomach.

“What? What’s wrong?” Spike had a look of concern on his face.

“I think it just moved.”

“Did it?” Spike came behind her and snaked his arm round her waist until his hand rested on her stomach. He felt a little jerk on her skin.

“Was that a kick?”

“Looks like. This baby’s alive and kicking.”

“Looks like.” Spike planted a kiss on Buffy’s lips and directed her to the bedroom. They lied down and Spike hugged Buffy’s stomach. Buffy placed her hand over his and smiled. She snuggled down in his embrace and waited for the baby to kick again.

………………………………………………………………………………………

The doorbell woke them at about one in the afternoon. Buffy jerked awake and raced Spike to the door. She got there first and opened it. Angel was standing at the other side of the door.

“Buffy I have some news for you.”

“What is it you wanker? Tell her and get back on your merry way.”

“It’s your dad. He’s been in an accident. He’s dying.” Buffy’s face fell and she started to cry.

“What? What kind of accident?”

“He crashed his car into a lorry on his way to work this morning. He smashed his head against the windscreen. He’s in a coma and the nurse says there’s only a twenty percent chance that he’ll ever wake up. Spike hugged Buffy before Buffy ran upstairs to throw some clothes on. Angel took Buffy and Spike to the hospital. Where they were directed to Hank’s room. He was lying there, motionless with a ventilator breathing for him. Kathryn was there sobbing.

“He’s dying Buffy.” She sobbed. Buffy just stood there, looking at him. It was weird. She didn’t feel sad now. She didn’t feel anything and by the looks of things, neither did Angel. Spike saw the expression on Buffy’s face and that said everything.

“You don’t feel anything do you?” He whispered in her ear.

“It’s weird. Dad had been there for me all my life but he has never told me he loves me. He has an empty look in his eyes when he looks at me. Not with Angel though. He gets a sparkle in his eyes when he looks at him. No. I feel nothing. Dad is dying and I feel nothing. Nothing.”