Chapter 10



Buffy watched Spike climb into the car. He seemed so sad, so broken, by the act they’d committed in the alley. Filled with a need to take care of him, she reached over to brush back a stray curl that fell across his temple. For a brief second he hesitated then with a soft sigh of resignation, he leaned into her loving touch. He needed the reassurance of her love and she needed him.

Scooting forward, she let her bent knees lie across his thigh, curling against him with her hand stroking his arm as he started the car. Neither spoke a word on the drive back to the house. Both seemingly content to let their bodies say everything that needed to be said to get them through what they’d done.

It was too soon for Buffy when Spike pulled into the drive leading to the little house by the ocean. It was on the tip of her tongue to ask him to keep going until they were forced to turn around by the approaching daylight. The moment was too idyllic between them. She didn’t want it broken by the possibility of another emotional surge that would lead to an argument she didn’t want to fight anymore.

In a way she was feeling happy and at peace in spite of the pain she was causing him. Maybe it made her the bitch again to use him to feel more than the numbness that filled her. Even if it was a numbness she had chosen to live within. His bite had brought out a side of her she’d almost forgotten existed. Not since the very first night they fucked had she felt such satisfaction in the sexual act. No one could make her body respond like he could. Bringing out the primitive woman inside her with a touch that drove her wild.

Why hadn’t she ever realized before that she needed the monster in him? She enjoyed the freedom of the pain that he gave her. He understood how far she could go before it was too much. She didn’t have a clue what her limits were, what she really felt anymore, what gave her happiness, save him. Yet, he seemed to, and all she did was bring him heartbreak.

Sighing, she leaned her cheek against his shoulder when he turned the car off.

“You okay, pet?”

“Mmmh, I’m fine,” Buffy replied, letting her fingers drift along his arm until she could wrapped her hand around his. “I love you,” she added because in spite of everything, she did love him.

“Do you know how many times I’ve dreamed of you telling me that?”

“You don’t have to dream anymore,” Buffy promised. “I’m here.”

With fingers so light she almost couldn’t feel them; he turned her to face him. They drifted across her cheek to tangle in her hair while his eyes burned deep into hers. There was so much passion…so much life within a being that was supposedly deceased that it made her ache all over. He was life in a world filled with so much death. It was only with him that she could feel alive. Everything else failed in comparison to being with this vampire. She would never leave him even if she had to die to stay beside him.

“I know you are,” Spike whispered. “And I won’t let you go again.”

She closed her eyes, leaning against him, taking the strength he offered so willingly. He nestled closer to her, breathing along with her; the flow was cool against her still burning skin. She sighed. Already half asleep, the world around her entwined with the dreams that beckoned to her. The call of the birds along the shore, the salty tang of the ocean tickling her nose, and the feel of his body next to her’s, all was a sedative to her already drained soul. She was content and knew that as long as he held her she could sleep.

“Hey, pet,” Spike called to her. “No sleeping in the car. Come morning you’d be holding onto a big pile of dust.”

Her eyes flew open as if the sun was already threatening to come up. “Let’s go in then,” Buffy said, pulling away from him. She grabbed her purse from the floorboard and waited for him to open the door.

Spike held his hand out to help her climb out of the car. It was a gesture she wasn’t expecting, but was pleased to have. Not that she needed help. It was just nice to have someone take care of her for a change. Not to lean on her or assume that she didn’t care about romance. She waited patiently while he unloaded her purchases from the trunk, and then followed him into the house.

No, it was home.

Their home, she thought with a smile. She put her purse down on the small table in the entry hall letting her fingers drift over the wood finish of the piece. This would be a new habit, something she could count on like the sun rising and setting each day.

“You coming, Buffy,” Spike hollered from the back of the house. “Or are you going to stand in the hall all night?”

“I’m on my way,” she replied as she traced his footsteps toward the bedroom.

He’d dumped all the bags onto the bed where they resembled a small mountain. She giggled at the sight they all made. Spike smiled back ruefully, running his fingers through his hair and shaking his head.

“Would you like a bath?” Spike asked, walking over and pulling her against him. “You can relax while I cook dinner. Afterwards we can figure out where to pull all this stuff.”

“Or you could join me in the tub?” Buffy teased, brushing against his more intimate parts with hers. It seemed all she wanted was to be joined with him. The hunger was deep within her. “Dinner can wait.”

“Yeah, it could,” he chuckled, reaching for the zipper on her dress. “Later we can try out the new lingerie you bought. How about that?”

“Don’t you want to…?” She asked, turning so it was easier for him to unzip her. He kissed the space between her shoulder blades, and then drew the dress down her shoulders. “You and me and bubbles…lots of bubbles.”

“Hmmm, sounds like heaven.”

Spike turned her then knelt on the floor in front of her. He picked up one foot then the other. Sliding the dress off, then her sandals, then with a smile he drew her panties down her legs.

The tenderness he showed her brought tears to her eyes because no one would believe that William the Bloody could be so caring. The only ones who probably did know, were dead or long vanished. She waited where he left her while he put her clothes in the hamper then disappeared into the bathroom. Buffy sighed, trying not to let his refusal to bathe with her, bring any kind of disappointment to her.

“The bath is almost ready, Luv,” Spike called. “Come on, while the water is hot.”

“I’ll be right there,” Buffy responded, grabbing a clip to hold her hair on top of her head. She hurried into the bathroom to find Spike stripped down to just his jeans. Maybe he was going to join her after all. Instead he held his hand out to help her in to the tub. “You coming in?” She asked, as she relaxed into the warm water. The floral scent of the bubbles letting her daydream that she was bathing in the middle of a garden.

“No, this is for you,” Spike whispered, kneeling beside the tub. “Don’t pout,” he teased, tweaking her lower lip she’d stuck out upon finding out that he wouldn’t be joining her after all. “Just relax, Buffy.”

She leaned back, closing her eyes until she felt Spike pick up her foot. Opening them again, she saw that he intended to bathe her as well. She yanked her foot away.

“What are you doing?”

“Taking care of my woman,” Spike said, with such a serious tone that it made her feel silly for stopping him. “You said that I made you feel like I only loved the Slayer part of you. It isn’t true. I love all of you. I know that and I want you to know it.”

“You’re going to prove it by giving me a bath?”

“I’ll prove it by worshiping you.”

It still didn’t make sense to her. She stared at him for a moment trying to understand where he was coming from and what his plan was. He didn’t argue with her. Just waited patiently for her to decide to let him do things his way. Her fingertips brushed against his mark on her neck. He’d taken her in the most fundamental way that a vampire could. She’d never felt fear when his fangs were buried deep within her flesh. So, why was she afraid now?

It wasn’t fear, she realized, but rather it was uncomfortable for her. She wasn’t used to anyone treating her with such consideration. But then she didn’t let people close enough to her anymore to even attempt such an act. It was easier to be on her guard, keeping people a certain distance from her so her emotions weren’t deeply invested. Eventually they all left anyway so why bother letting them close enough to be able to hurt her?

The only ones that stayed expected certain things from her. Not that they were wrong to expect these things, like Giles holding her to a certain level within the new Council, Dawn needing her to be the big sister, Willow and Xander wanting her to be there as the friends they’d always been, and the Slayers expecting her to lead them. There wasn’t room in her life for her to imagine anyone pampering her. Not an hour ago it was why she’d screamed at Spike, because he didn’t love that side of her. Now he was trying to and she was giving him a hard time.

“I’m sorry,” Buffy whispered, putting her foot back into his hand. “You just surprised me that’s all.”

“It’s all right,” he said, grinning back at her. “Lean back and close your eyes.”

“Okay,” she smiled, before doing as he instructed.

Using a washcloth well lathered with soap that matched the bubble’s fragrance, Spike washed her foot, even separating the toes before moving it up her leg. His touch was sensitive as he washed her, reminding her of when she was a child and her mother would bathe her. She sighed, thoroughly enjoying his ministrations. He finished with her legs before moving over her abdomen and breasts. Her nipples ached from the attention they received from his hand when he finally reached them. A kiss was placed on each pink tip before he turned away to wash her arms.

“Feeling better, pet?” Spike asked, pulling her forward so he could cleanse her back.

“Yes,” Buffy said, wrapping her arms around her knees. “I feel wonderful right now; all warm and loved.”

“Good,” he said, standing up. He held a hand out to her. “Time to get you dried off and into pajamas.”

”I thought you wanted me in lingerie,” Buffy pouted. She wanted him to make love to her and he kept putting it off. She stood though, allowing him to drain the tub and grab a towel. She waited until he wrapped it around her then scooped her up in his arms before she pleaded, “Don’t you want to make love to me? I thought Slayer blood made you all hot and horny?”

“Bloody hell, woman,” Spike groused, but there was a twitch to his lips that told her he was kidding with her. “You’re insatiable.”

“I try,” she said, nipping at his neck until he growled at her. “I know you want to, Spikey. Give in to your Buffy’s lust for you and take me.”

The next thing she knew she was being unceremoniously dropped on the bed. She stared at him in confusion as he crawled over her. His eyes flashed golden as he stripped the towel away from her. Her heart sped up as he pinned her hands over her head. He was going to give in to her want and it made her moan in anticipation of what he was going to do. Her legs parted to allow him to settle between them, but he stayed on hands and knees. He leaned close to her, rubbing her lips with his.

“I don’t want to fuck you right now,” he whispered, before he got up and walked out of the room.


to be continued…