Chapter 2

Spike was still sitting with Buffy when he heard the door to her room open. He looked up to see a surprised Dawn standing there. She put her hand over her mouth and tried not to cry when she saw her sister. She then looked at Spike. “Spike, what happened?” She asked him and he got up and went over to her. She then threw herself into his arms and he wrapped his arms around the girl and let her cry in his chest.

“It’ll be okay, nibblet. I wish I knew what happened.” He said as he kissed the top of her head. Andrew then walked into the room at that moment a little out of breath.

“Is she alright?” He asked and Spike looked at him as Dawn pulled away.

“It doesn’t look good.” Spike stated and Andrew nodded and looked at Buffy. It was hard for him to see her like that. She was usually so full of life, more or less. Dawn continued to cry as Andrew then wrapped his arms around her and she rested her head on his shoulder. Spike walked over to Buffy and sat back down. “What’s been going on?” He asked as he looked at both of them. “The last time I was here I saw her dancing in that club and she seemed happy. You told me she was, Andrew. Now I come back to find her unconscious with both wrists slit. Why would Buffy want to kill herself?” Dawn pulled away from Andrew to look at Spike.

“What? She would never do that. She was fine before I left.” Spike nodded.

“I know it’s hard to believe. I didn’t want to believe it either, but that’s what it looks like.” Dawn still wouldn’t believe it.

“No, I know he had something to do with it.” She said with a harsh tone to her voice.

“Who?” Spike asked and Dawn turned her gaze back on him.

“Alec, the Immortal or whatever his name is. Buffy told me the other day that she was going to break up with him. I’m guessing she did and he wasn’t too happy about it.” Spike seemed surprised by that.

“Why would she break up with him?” Dawn rolled her eyes.

“Because of you. She never loved him, Spike. It was still all about you. We found out that you were in Rome a few weeks ago and she wanted to break up with him after that. She wanted to go back to you. She didn’t care that you were alive this whole time and never told her. She just knew that she loved you and wanted you back. So, she told me that she was going to end things with him. Buffy was so happy about going back to you that she would have never killed herself. He did this to her somehow. I know he did.” Spike was happy that Buffy still loved him, but he got to the point.

“I don’t know, Dawn. This isn’t exactly his style. Maybe something else happened that you don’t know about.” Dawn shook her head.

“She would never kill herself. That’s all I need to know.” Spike nodded and decided to let her believe that. He didn’t think it was right to bring up the fact that Buffy did technically kill herself once, but it was to save Dawn and the world. This was completely different.

“So, what do we do? We need Buffy to know the truth of what really happened. She’s the only one that can tell us.” He said as he looked at Buffy and there were still no signs of her waking up. Dawn nodded and looked at her sister also.

“I may know of a way. I called Willow before we left. We just have to wait until she gets here; I think she’ll be able to help.” Spike nodded and grabbed Buffy’s hand again while Andrew grabbed Dawn’s and gave her hand a comforting squeeze. She gave him a small smile as they all waited for Willow.