Chapter 13

“Did I wake you?”

“No.” William nuzzled Buffy’s stomach with his head, brushing his nose against her white underwear. “Where did these come from?” he mumbled, trying to focus his eyes and blinking several times. He kissed her belly button and looked up at her. “Did you sleep well?”

“Okay. I had a lot on my mind.”

“Good a lot or bad a lot?

“Um, definitely good.”

“Mmmm, that’s good, sweetheart. You always smell so…good.” William inhaled deeply and chuckled, his face still pushed against her body. “I dreamed about you pet.”

“Oh, really?”

He rested his weight gently against her chest and kissed her deeply. “Have you been crying more, kitten?”

“Maybe. Just a little. They’re still all happy tears.”

“It’s probably a good thing I don’t let you drag me to many of those chick flicks. I’d just end up with a weepy, soggy Buffy.”

“Hey, I don’t cry at all of them…just a large majority.”

“I think it’s cute.”

“Did you just say cute? I didn’t think the Big Bad knew a word like cute.”

“Sure, tease away, cutie.”

“So what was your dream about?”

“Huh? Mmmm…I can’t remember but you were there and I was there--.”

“What about Toto?”

“Ha, ha, Dorothy. Aren’t we in a fickle mood?”

“Not fickle, just antsy I guess. You’ve been brushing against me and acting so much like a cat I’m waiting for you to purr. I was enjoying my moment until you woke up and got me all horny. And that’s a--”

“Aww, poor baby. I guess I should help you out, huh?” He moved his hips against hers and kissed her chin. “Better?”

“No--.” She gasped, feeling his naked warmth stab her through her clothes.

“Who told you that you could wear these things?” He spoke against her neck, sliding down her underwear.

“William, we—I...”

He noticed the hint of panic in her voice. “Love…” Then he noticed the white cotton string and panty liner. “Oh. Well, that explains some things. Buffy…”

“Sorry, I guess there won’t be any sweet love making for a few days.”

“Buffy…”

“What?”

“I’ll meet you in the bathroom in a few minutes, okay?”
***

“Where’d you go?”

“Out.”

Buffy wrinkled her eyebrows as she sat on the closed toilet lid. “What are you up to?”

“Get naked, please.”

“William, I don’t know about this. Don’t you think it will be icky? Don’t you have to go to work?”

“Just get in the shower, love.”
***

“Cooperate with me pet.”

“No way.”

“Please? It’ll feel nice.”

“Yeah says you. Right now, nothing down there feels nice.”

“Well. Don’t you trust me?”

Buffy glared into his blue eyes as he held the shower wand. “I hate that. Don’t you trust me? That’s always what the sleazy guy says before he wants to boink you in the back of his mom’s mini van.”

“Somehow I think there’s a story attached to this.” He stood up and hung up the shower wand.

“I’m sorry.”

“For what kitten?”

“For being a wreck,” she said, hugging him.

“You changed the subject.”

“Yes, I did.”

“Buffy.”

She sighed deeply. “My first serious boyfriend—Parker—that was the line he used on me. I was sixteen and bought it. All the guys say that in the movies, you know? When they’re trying to be sensitive. Anyway, we went at it in the back of his mom’s mini van and I never talked to him again.”

“Another bad morning after?”

“You remember that? Yeah, Parker left me a little broken.”

“I’ll fix you up.”

“You already have.”

“Buffy, let’s try this.”

“I’m crampy.”

“They’ll go away. The shower will wash away anything nasty and then I picked up a little something if you should encounter, eh, any personal dryness.”

“Personal what—never mind.” Buffy laughed, “If it really means that much to you...okay. But if you get grossed out, I don’t want to hear about it.”

“It’s about time,” William cupped her face and playfully brushed his lips against hers.
***

“So he was all…grrr and I was all…eek!”

William tried to concentrate as Winifred told the story of her adventures at the new bookstore across town.

“Oooh, am I late? Do it again.” Lorne paraded into the room and clapped as he sat next to William.

“You missed a good one, mate. Fred had a near death situation…”

“Oh, Will, it wasn’t that bad.” She brushed off William’s remark with fake modesty. “Besides, I think you have something more exciting to share. You’re glowing.”

“I am?” he asked, looking from Fred to Lorne. “You’re kidding, right?”

Lorne nodded, a grin on his face. “Spill, pretty boy.”

“Well, I think we’re kind of engaged.”

“Think? How could you just think?” Lorne stood up. “Was there a ring? Where? When? Am I invited? Can I plan it? What’s her favorite color? I bet she’d look nice in a pale pink--.”

“Settle, settle. I gave her a ring, but not the ring.”

“’The’ ring? What ring is this?”

“The ring my father gave my mother. It’s kind of like tradition…anyway, I was thinking we should wait until she’s not in school.”

“I will die right here if you mean in four years! Tell me you’re thinking during a break!” Lorne dramatically fanned himself with his hands.

“Breathe, man. We’ll see.”

“That’s real nice, Will. Congratulations.”

“Thanks pet,” William accepted Fred’s quick embrace.
***

“This a funny place to meet for lunch.” William looked at the crowded mall’s food court. “A little loud, don’t you think?”

“I know. I just wondered if you wanted to take a glimpse at the wedding gowns…” Buffy faded off and looked away embarrassed.

“Pet, remember we agreed on--.”

“I know that it wasn’t the official down on one knee proposal and I know you want to wait, but William, the dress could take years to pick out.”

He choked on his Chinese food. “Years?”

“Of course and then there are the shoes, jewelry, guest lists, plates, food—oh my God!”

“What?” William was startled when Buffy threw down her plastic fork.

“What about my hair!”

“What about it? I like your hair the way it is.”

“But you don’t count.”

“I don’t? Last I knew you were marrying me.”

Buffy smiled, “I am marrying you, but I don’t have to impress you anymore.”

“No?”

“Nope, you’re already under my spell. I wear anything and you’d be fine with it, right? I need to impress the guests that’ll be coming to the wedding.”

“You’re a beautiful woman--.”

“See, William?” She patted his hand and continued to beam. “I love you, but you don’t count when it comes to the dress and my hair.”

“But I get a say in the other stuff?”

“Do you want a say?”

“Of course.”

“I’m happy to hear that.”

“Finish up, Buffy and we’ll take a look at those wedding gowns.”
***

“So the real proposal will be spontaneous. You won’t ever know when it’s going to happen. Could be at anytime.”

“Anytime?”

“Anytime. And it’s gonna be good—hell, it’s gonna be great.”

“I know it will be. I like surprises. I like more jewelry.” Buffy touched the necklace William had given her for her birthday and smiled.

“And I like giving you more jewelry, sweets.” He kissed and played with the silver ring on her hand.

“Where did you get it? Um, you don’t mind me asking, do you?”

“No. I got it while I was in Sunnydale. It reminded me of you.”

Buffy’s heart swelled, “Want to do a little wedding planning?”

“Just a little. A lot can change, pet.”

”Okay, we’ll plan just a little.”

“And can we do it during commercials? Passions will be over in a few.”

“Okay, whenever you’re ready.”
***

“No.”

“Please?”

“No. No way.”

“Pretty please William?”

“I have a reputation you know--.”

“You don’t want to be the wind beneath my wings?” Buffy stuck out her lower lip and batted her eyes. “You don’t want to be my hero?”

“Kitten--.”

She sniffled.

“Bloody hell, woman! I’ll be the wing beneath your soddin’ wings! But you owe me. A lot!”

”And I’m supposed to be easy,” she teased. “But oh, William, we’ve got a song.” Sighing dreamily, Buffy fell into his arms.
***

“Do you know what next week is?” Buffy wrapped the towel around William’s shoulders.

“No.”

“It’s Thanksgiving!”

“Now add the Sweet ‘n’ Low.”

“This is just weird. I can’t believe I’m putting sugar substitute in my fiancée’s hair.”

“Gentle, princess. It burns.”

“Oh, sorry.”

The past few months had gone smoothly. Buffy was doing well in her classes and she managed to get William to drive her to and from school on most days of the week. She hardly ever stayed at the dorm, which made Buffy’s life easier because she and Xander were still not talking. Last she heard, Xander was living in the dorm with Anya.

Buffy decided she wouldn’t pay for a dorm the following semester. She mentioned getting a job a few times to help pay for gas money but William had refused, telling her that it would be best to wait until her summer break.

“What’s so special about Thanksgiving?”

“I have extra days off and it’ll be our first real holiday together. There will be turkey and stuffing and nasty cranberry sauce. Oh, and invite Fred and Lorne. I want to finally meet them.”

“Why nasty cranberry sauce and don’t you what us to celebrate alone?”

Buffy didn’t have to look at William to know he was smirking. ‘His voice changes completely when he does those wicked eyebrow movements. Deeper, sexier. I didn’t think his voice could be sexier…’

“Love?”

“Huh? Should I rinse?” She moved his head under the faucet and tenderly ran her fingers through his hair. “Cranberry sauce is gross but it’s important in the cornucopia that is a Thanksgiving Day feast and they would only be around for lunch. Mom and I always did lunch so we could go to the movies afterwards.”

“We can do that.”

“Sometimes I think if I said mom and I used to jump off of cliffs without parachutes, you’d say, ‘we can do that’.”

”I want you to be able to keep up the things you enjoyed with Joyce. Dad has drilled the importance of traditions into my head for as long as I can remember.”

Buffy pulled his head up so she could towel dry it. “You’re so wonderful.”

“I don’t want either of us to forget her.”

“I don’t think that’s possible, but I know what you mean.”
***