Chapter 7

Dawn walked into Buffy's room to see her sitting up in bed looking at a picture. She walked closer to see that the picture was of her, Buffy, and their mother. Buffy noticed her and looked up. "Is this our mom?" She asked and Dawn nodded and sat down on the bed next to her. "I'm guessing she's not here anymore." Dawn shook her head.

"She died last year. She had a brain tumor." Buffy felt sad and put the picture back next to her bed.

"I wish I could remember her." Dawn smiled at her older sister.

"She was the best. She was fun and strict at the same time, she would never let us get away with anything. Which was funny because we always did manage to get away with a lot. You used to sneak out of the house all the time when you were around my age and mom hardly ever caught on." She explained.

"Why would I sneak out?" Dawn knew she had to choose her words carefully.

"Well, most of the time it was so you could be with your boyfriend. He was older and you figured mom wouldn't approve of you going out with him." She figured that was safe.

"Oh, did I get in trouble a lot?" Dawn shook her head. She didn't want her sister to think that she was some trouble maker. She couldn't exactly tell her that she was out saving the world most of the time.

"Not usually, you weren't really a bad kid or anything. I've had my share of trouble, too. I've snuck out, not to be with a guy though. I really can't get away with anything now. Mom was easy compared to Spike. He's like my big brother, but sometimes he can get a bit too overprotective. I guess they're all like that though, but Spike is the worst." Dawn stated.

"Is he like a brother to me, too?" Dawn had to laugh at that, but when she saw the confused look on Buffy's face she stopped.

"He's really not. I mean he's overprotective of you, but he doesn't think of you as a sister." Buffy nodded and decided to change the subject as she looked back at the picture.

"What about our dad?" Dawn took a deep breath.

"Last I heard he was in Spain with his secretary. They've been divorced for years and we don't really see him all that much. We have Giles though, he's a much better dad and at least he likes being around us." Buffy felt bad for bringing it up when she saw how much it hurt her sister to talk about it, but she needed to know all she could about her life if she ever wanted to get her memory back. "What else do you wanna know?" Dawn asked changing the subject.

"Anything you can tell me." Dawn nodded and thought about it.

"Okay, well you're 20 for starters. You did go to college for a little while, but you dropped out after mom died so you could take care of me. You survived high school and had at least two boyfriends that I know of, but they both kinda left town. I don't really know why. You met Willow and Xander in high school and you guys are really close. Giles was your high school librarian and he was always like a mentor to you and now you can call him a surrogate father. You also met Spike in high school, but he didn't actually go to school with you because he's a little older. You guys couldn't stand each other at first, but then you eventually became friends. Anya is Xander's girlfriend who you also met in high school, but you didn't really become friends with her until college and they're also engaged. Tara is Willow's girlfriend who you met in college, so she would be the last one to join the Scoobies which is what we tend to call ourselves sometimes. Well, they do. I don't think I'm a real Scooby since I'm never really allowed to do anything. Anyway, Willow used to date Oz in high school and a little bit in college, but he also kinda left town. Then she met Tara and decided to be gay. Tara is the best though, I'm really glad they're together." Dawn looked at Buffy as she finished who seemed to be taking it all in.

"Wow, that's a lot of information to get at one time." Dawn shrugged.

"Well, I figured I would be able to tell you more than Spike." Buffy nodded and looked at the little sister that she would give anything to remember. She then ran her fingers through the younger girl's hair without even thinking about it.

"Thank you, I appreciate it." She said and Dawn smiled at her.

"You used to do that a lot." Buffy returned her smile. "Well, I better do my homework now. I wouldn't wanna deal with the wrath of Spike. We'll talk later, I'm sure you'll get your memory back soon. These things are usually temporary." Dawn told her.

"I hope so." Dawn hugged Buffy and then kissed her on the cheek as she left the room. Buffy smiled when she left and lay back on her bed. She then grabbed the stuffed pig that was lying next to her on the bed and looked at it. "You definitely seem familiar." She said as she hugged the pig to her and fell into a sleep that was filled with flashes of a life that she was trying to remember.