Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much for the continued support you guys. Keep the reviews coming, they're really an inspiration.
Chapter 16

It’s been a week or so since William’s drinking escapade. That week had not been good to any of the resident of the Bennedict mansion. William had been in Angel’s office day in and day out trying to work over their problem. Since that night with Buffy in the study, William realized that sulking and doing nothing about something he had done before wasn’t really helping. He woke up with a new perspective, instead of dwelling in the past he needed to work in the now and hopefully to shape up his and Prudence future.

But that was not all that he had realized that morning. He found a letter from Buffy on his desk, it was her two weeks notice… she was resigning from her job… leaving them. It has caused a rip in their already ripped relationship. She continued to do her job taking care of Prudence but she made an extra effort to avoid him.

Willow had mentioned that Buffy had begun looking for a replacement; he shouldn’t worry because Buffy wouldn’t leave Prue with just anyone. But that wasn’t what he was worried about; he was worried about losing her… and for good this time, and not just as his daughter’s nanny.

But despite this catastrophe, his in-laws wanted to throw Prue a little bash for her first birthday. They had been fussing about it since last week, getting decorators into the house and meeting caterers and party organizers. God only knew why they decided to throw a party now, not that Prudence didn’t deserve a good party, it is her first birthday after all, but could they have picked a worst time.

“So William, you don’t mind us digging a bit in your backyard right?” Darla asked him just as he was crossing over to the kitchen for a drink. “I just thought it’d be nice to ha-“

He cut her off with a hand, “Do whatever you want to do, Dar,” he cracked a smile.

“Is something wrong, William?”

“No, everything’s just peachy.” He replied as he swung the door into the kitchen open.

Joyce was sitting in the kitchen island, a cup of cocoa in her hand, “Well hello, William. They’re rather busy, no?” He shrugged as he sank down on one of the stools. “Hot chocolate?” she offered and he accepted with a nod.

“Darla’s just way in over her head you know… I’m not saying that little Prue doesn’t deserve a party, but now?” Joyce nodded as she poured him a cup.

William had decided to tell the whole household about what he was dealing with. There wasn’t really a reason why he should keep it from them. And much to his surprise they accepted it and supported him at it too. Especially Joyce, well he always knew she was special. She would have made a great mother, too bad she didn’t have any children.

“Maybe it’ll help lighten things up a bit,” she replied handing him over the hot chocolate not forgetting to mix in a couple of tiny marshmallows, his favorite.
“You seemed too tense about the whole situation, it’d be the perfect time to remember your priorities?” she hinted quiet vaguely.

She seriously thought that amidst all this William, together with Lindsay and Darla, are starting to forget who their first priority is. They were letting their bitter dislike for each other get the better part of them and forget that they all each have Prudence best interest in mind. They needed to work together to make sure that she have the best and well rounded life she deserves. And the sooner they figure that out, the better it was going to be for all of them.

“Priorities… yeah mine’s been shifting a lot these days.” He took a sip of the hot concoction just before the kitchen door swung open.

“Oh,” Buffy stopped dead in her tracks as soon as she saw William in the kitchen with Joyce. She turned back and spirited out of the room.

“Buff-“ but before he could even get her name out she was gone.

“What’s that about?”

William almost forgot that Joyce was in the room until she spoke. He raised his head and answered her question, “Nothing really…”

“You know, William” she placed her hand over his. “If I might give you a little bit of advice?” he nodded his head. “Women are not as complicated as you men seem to think. There’s only one thing a woman wants.” He looked at her expectantly, “They just want to be loved,” he patted his hand in a loving manner before rising from her seat and walking out of the kitchen leaving William to ponder with what she have just said.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Throwing open the curtains, Buffy walked into Prue’s bedroom. Her little charge was at her crib, holding on to the railing as she looked out for her, holding her arms out, her face gleaming with joy.

“Whose birthday is it today, huh?” she asked her as she came over to her, clapping her charge’s hand together and giving it a kiss in the process.

“Me! Me!” she answered, or at least that’s what it sounded like to Buffy. She had been teaching her that for the last few days thinking it would be adorable to show it off for her big party today.

She carried her over to the tall glass window, looking down into the garden where everyone was setting up. Tables and chairs were scattered through the yard with a big buffet table at the left. “Look at that castle… doesn’t it look lovely and it’s all for you!” A castle stood in the back of the stage, serving as a background. Darla had decided that the party needed a theme and what better theme than a princess one.

As she set Prue down in her playpen to get her clothes ready, she realized how fast time had flown. Her last two weeks were almost up. Everything was set, her replacement was coming in the morning after she planned to leave, with Willow scheduled to pick her up at the bus station. She looked back at Prudence playing with her toys ideally and she realized just how innocent she looked.

That was what she was… an innocent victim. To both her leaving and her father and grandparents’ fight for custody, she was the victim in it. She had no idea what was happening around her, no control over how things are going to change.

Buffy hated to leave her like this, she truly did, but did she really have any other choice. It would be painful to leave now but it would be more painful if she didn’t.

“How’s our birthday girl today?” Willow came into the room, chipper as ever. “You’re gonna have a big big party! Yes you are…”

“Hey, Wills,” Buffy turned around holding in her arms Prudence’s dress with a couple of pins.

“Is this her dress?” Willow grabbed the hanger from Buffy looking at it skeptically, “It looks adorable!” she held the lacy pink dress close to her, “Don’t you think so, Prue… you’d look smashing in this. Yes you will!” Willow threw the dress over a lounge chair carrying Prue up in her arms.

She giggled with enjoyment sharing Willow’s excitement , “Dada! Dada!” she bounced on Willow’s arm. Both girls followed Prudence’s line of vision to see William at the door. He looked like he had just risen from bed, his hair was a mess, his shirt crumpled.

“Hey,” he greeted them both, “Just wanted to see the birthday girl,” before Willow could offer Prue to her father, she practically jumped off her arms to her father’s. “Hey, princess… how’s my little girl today…”

“Yeah… I better get going,” Willow excused herself, but William didn’t seem to be listening to her for he was busy having an inanimate conversation with the little girl in his arms. “They might need me downstairs, preparations and all that… okay then.”

Buffy was just about to tell Willow that she was going to join her downstairs but her cousin was soon gone even before she could get a word in. She simply turned back to closet, desperately trying to busy herself with anything she can get her hands on.

She didn’t know why she needed to avoid him so much, maybe it was the guilt creeping up to her. ‘Don’t leave’, such a simple request. She knew he meant more to it than just that one night they had spent at his study. In the back of his mind, he probably knew that she was going to leave and he was right. She didn’t want to talk to him because she knew once he started talking to her, he would be able to find a way to work his way back into her heart… and she didn’t want that… she can’t have that.

“You really should stop avoiding me, pet,” Buffy turned, knowing very well who the voice belonged to.

She had a towel clutched to her chest, folding the piece of cloth, she answered warily, “I’m not avoiding, you…” he simply cocked a questioning eyebrow her way, “I’m not.” She placed the towel back into the closet and crossed over to the other side of the room trying to tidy some things, trying to avoid William’s gaze.

“Suit yourself…” He placed Prue back on the playpen and placed a stuff animal in with her. “I just wanted to give you this,” he held an envelope out to her.

“What’s this?” she strode over to him and accepted the white piece of paper.

“Your salary… for the time you stayed here,” She nodded folding it and placing it in her pocket, “I put in a little extra something-“

“Oh, you didn’t have to.”

“Yes I did,” he smiled at her warmly, something she realized she missed. “You’ve been very good to her,” he spared a glance towards his daughter, “… and to me too.”

“William…”

“Look, I’m just going to ask this once,” he didn’t know where he finally found the courage to do this, being rejected wasn’t his most favorite thing in the world. But he guessed wondering on what could have been would have been more unbearable. As the words left his lips, he knew he was walking right into heartache. “Stay...”

There it was, such a simple word yet it meant everything. Such a simple question… yet she couldn’t bring herself to answer it. “I can’t…”

William simply nodded turning his back to her and gave Prudence one last kiss goodbye before he headed for the door, “See you around then.”

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

“You’ve got quite a set-up here,” Angel observed as he took the seat beside William.

Guests were flowing all over the garden, mingling with others while the kids could be seen over by the stage playing games.

“Have to say, Darla and Lindsay outdid themselves this time,” William took the time to survey the place and he had to admit his in-laws have done quite an excellent job. He knew he could never have pulled off something like this in such short notice and his little princess did deserve the best.

“Yeah, I guess…” he took his attention away from the party and back to the drink he was nursing in his hand taking it down in one gulp.

“Not having fun huh?”

“Whatever do you mean, Peaches?”

“Heard about the nanny.”

“What about Buffy?” William kept his eyes focused on the centerpiece, away from Angel.

“Heard she was leaving…”

“Yeah… so what?”

“Oh please. Don’t act like you don’t give a damn, William.” Angel answered, “How many shots have you had?”

“I’m not trying to get drunk. Don’t worry.” He played with his shot glass, letting his fingers trace the mouth of it. “Just trying to have a bit of fun.”

“Yeah…” patting William on the back, Angel rose from his position. “I’ll go and take my seat, the puppet show’s about to start,” Angel left knowing that William didn’t look too good but that he would be fine. He might be hurting right now but he would eventually get over it… he had to. “I need to talk to you about something later, okay?”

With that Angel left as the emcee announced that the puppet show was about to start and for the guests to return to their seats. William saw the people piling into their seats ready to see the show.

Buffy was walking towards him with Prue in her arms, obviously to see the upcoming performance. She offered him a friendly smile which he reciprocated. Prue immediately crawled over to him and he let her seat in his lap as the show began.

In the middle of the program Buffy had excused herself, saying she would see if she were needed in the kitchen. William had let her go, not like he could have stopped her. Prudence was still with him though, she hadn’t move from her position in his lap since the show had started. For an easily bored one year old she sure was awfully engrossed with the performance.

“Is this seat taken?” Darla was hovering over William asking him permission, he simply nodded. She took her seat and sat quietly for a minute or two.

Prudence who noticed the new arrival beside them, climbed up from William’s lap holding on to his neck as she tightly hugged her father, shielding her face from, Darla, the show forgotten. William held her, soothing her back wondering what caused her sudden change of attitude.

“She’s awfully attached to you, isn’t she?”

“Yes, I believe so.” William answered. He tried to figure out what Darla was getting on to as he continued to keep his daughter calm as she started to whimper in his shoulder. “What do you want, Dar?”

“It’s just…” she stuttered, “Nothing.” But William didn’t believe her. “Can I hold her?”

“I guess,” William shrugged as he tried to hand over a very reluctant Prudence over to her grandmother. As soon as she lost hold of William’s neck she started whimpering and then her whimpers turned to wails.

“No… No…” she extended her arms towards William, her eyes were practically telling him to take her back. “Dada!... Dada!” she tried to call between cries.

Soon her cries were beginning to be noticed by the guest. Darla handed her over back to William and she immediately calmed down, her hold on William like a vice.

“She talks?”

“Yeah… a little,” William replied as he continued soothing her, bouncing her around. Prudence didn’t seem to want to stop, he could practically hear her sobs and his shirt was starting to soak with tears. “Look I think I need to take her inside, she can’t seem to calm down.” William said already rising from his seat.

“Do you need help?” William looked back at her and saw her face. He didn’t know what her visage exactly held, maybe it was guilt or it could be pity either way he nodded for her to follow him.

They made their way up the steps and into Prudence room in hopes that they would be able to help her on what was bothering her. But nothing worked, they had tried to feed her, change her, play with her yet nothing seemed to work.

“What’s wrong with her?” William asked as he continued to carry Prudence pacing around the room as he rocked her back and forth, desperately trying to keep her calm. Darla just shrugged, she to was clueless on the whole thing. Nothing seemed to want to calm her and she was running out of ideas.

“Shhh…” William cooed, “Princess, what is it? Daddy’s here… come on sweetheart, tell Daddy what’s wrong,” he practically begged his daughter, he couldn’t keep seeing her in so much pain, his little girl was suffering and he couldn’t do anything to help her.

“Maybe she’s tired…”

“I doubt it, I never heard her cry this much… something must be wrong.”

to be continued...