Author's Chapter Notes:
I know... I know... it has been ages. =) But i've been busy with college application forms. Anyway this chapter is short but as my beta said, "short but meaningful" or so she says! lol=)
PS: thanks for all the reviews!
Chapter 18

People. People are like birds, they come and go. Come spring they visit our windows building their nest. Singing their tune to bring us joy, and sometimes pain. And much like people they have a purpose to be there. But once winter comes around, they pack their bags and begin their flight seeking somewhere else to stay. And much like when people leave us, we can do nothing but wait for them to return remembering the times spent before.

Riding the elevator up to Angel’s office, William thought what the hell had happened. Prudence was as good as new but as he looked back on the last couple of months, he had to wonder how the hell he had managed to screw up his life. He had neglected his work and his family because he couldn’t handle the pain of losing someone and now because of him yet again he’s going to lose someone he held dearly. And in the short span in between, he had felt a small flash of happiness, well he managed to ruin that too. They say life is like a wheel sometimes you’re up sometimes you’re down but why does it seem like it’s always his turn at the bottom.

‘When you finally learn how NOT to be poncy git’ his mind answered as he opened the door to Angel’s office.

Angel gestured for William to take a sit before placing the phone he had been on down. “So what do we owe this visit for?”

“Oh stop the formality crap, peaches. What is it you wanted to talk about? I really don’t have time, for unlike you I do have better things to do.”

“Why so bitter, Spikey?” Angel sneered as William cringed at the name. He came to think that he didn’t mind it as much anymore. It had always been Dru’s pet name for him, something he didn’t like remembering before but realized now that he didn’t really mind thinking about her every now and then. Things were certainly turning up. “Anyway, I just wanted to discuss a few things Lindsay has said to me the other day.”

William visibly cringed at the mention of his in-law’s name. He hated the guy more than ever now. Why did he ever think that he could have a civilized conversation with him? Oh yeah because he was desperate. Maybe if they had maybe talked it out, then he would understand. But because of the great wanker that he was, he simply dug up something more for them to disagree upon. Even when he had almost came close to begging he had simply turned his back and nodded away.

“What did the wanker want this time?”

“Well actually-“

“Cause if he plans to stir up more trouble, then I say bring it on!”

“Actually-“ William was about to interrupt yet again, “Would you let me finish?” William simply slouched down on his seat asking for Angel to continue. “He dropped the case.”

If it weren’t so unmanly, William would have had his mouth hang open instead he did what every self respecting British man would, he cursed. “What the bloody hell?!”

“Well apparently he… had come into the light and realized his mistake, his words.”

William blinked his eyes rapidly as he got up and paced.

“You could have imagined my surprise when his lawyer called.”

“So this is for real?” William stopped long enough for him to look at Angel who was ideally sitting on his chair playing with his pen.

William took a minute to ponder the effect of this decision. It meant that he and Prue were free to do as they please, his daughter will never be taken away from him, he may securely love and care for her without the fear of losing her.

“But he does have one condition,” William mentally cringed, he knew it was too good to be true… he should have known. “No way! It better not be something-“

“He just wants visiting rights.”

“Just that?” William raised his brow in disbelief, it seemed to be too easy… but who was he really to complain.

Angel simply nodded in reply, “That and maybe a few nights with her sometimes.”

William accepted the arrangement, he couldn’t be too picky. He was fortunate enough that Lindsay gave him another chance. “What do I have to do?”

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

As soon as he had finished signing papers and all the formalities Angel had needed, he immediately drove home wanting to share the good news. This was something he never could have seen coming. The main problem was over, maybe it was finally his time on the top on the wheel.

As he opened the door, the first thing he noticed were the suitcases at the bottom of the stairs. Immediately his mind raced. No this couldn’t be happening, not now… “Buffy? Buffy?” he bellowed as he took the steps two at a time, practically running down the hall in panic. If her suitcase were downstairs that meant one thing, she hadn’t left yet… and that was a good thing. It meant he could still do something.

He found her inside Prudence’s bedroom, she just had her on her arms as she set her back down on her crib. “Buffy…?”

“Hey…” she faced William, smiling at him as if it were any other day. “I was just saying goodbye…”

William froze, he didn’t know why. He knew she was going to leave, he had expected it, she had been very straight forward about it. But the reality of the situation didn’t hit him up until this moment, his mind was probably still in denial about the whole thing. He had been so used to her presence around them that he wouldn’t let himself believe that she was going to leave for good… because maybe in the back of his mind he was still hoping to convince her not to.

He knew the one thing he needed to say that would practically make Buffy his again. But it wasn’t a done deal, which was what was keeping him from leaving his heart out there in the open. He was just beginning to heal; he didn’t think he could risk getting hurt again.

What William didn’t know was by holding himself back, he wasn’t only hurting himself but her too.

“Please don’t make this hard,” Buffy pleaded before William could speak.

“So you were just going to leave…? No goodbyes?”

“I was going to leave a note,” Buffy cringed hearing for the first time how impersonal it was. They had shared something special at least on her part and he deserved more from her than just a note. But she knew it wasn’t going to be easy, he wasn’t going to make it easy that was why she opted to leave without a proper goodbye in the first place.

“Buffy…” he placed his finger under her chin, lifting her head up to meet his eyes but she flinched away, gathering herself together. She shouldn’t let him get to her; she needed to do what she must. ‘It was for the best’ Buffy tried to convince herself.

“I think you should have this…” she handed him over a leather bound journal. “I think it was Dru’s… I found it cleaning in the attic. I thought you should have it.” William bounced the book in his hand as he listened to Buffy. “Anyway, I should really go…”

“Do you have to…?”

“Wouldn’t want to miss my boat,” for a second a flash of disappointment burst behind his eyes but William quickly recovered.

“Yeah… wouldn’t want to have that.” He bowed his head as Buffy slowly retreated out of the room. Could he just let her go? Just like that… it felt wrong. He was damn sure once she got out that door and he didn’t do anything he’d regret that decision forever. “Buffy… wait.” She turned to look at him as he slowly closed the distance between them. “Don’t-“

She cut him off before he could get any more words in, “You said you’d only ask it once…” with that she turned her back to him and left.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Sitting inside her little cabin, she sat in the middle of the bed looking into the dark void of the turned off television. Suddenly she felt as if the walls were closing in on her. Alone sitting inside the silent room she decided to get some fresh air.

Buffy walked out into the hall, locking the door behind her. A little girl ran pass her and Buffy’s eyes lingered on her for a moment picturing Prudence with her shiny black hair bouncing about as she ran around the yard. She wouldn’t be able to see that anymore…

Walking around the deck, she knew that thinking about them wouldn’t really help her much. But she just couldn’t help herself. The few months she had spent in the Bennedict mansion had meant a lot to her. The people there have been special to her… especially him

As she stared out, leaning on the railing. The sky looked completely black from where she was. There was no star in sight, complete darkness engulfed her. She figured that it suited her situation… it seemed poetic when you think about it. But as she continued to look out onto the ocean, a sudden light came into to view from afar and as the ship sailed towards it, she saw that it was a lighthouse.

A lighthouse shows you the right path to take. Just like in life, everyone has a lighthouse…

Something or someone has to guide them. Or they would loose their path…

And then she realized… she had done her purpose… she had been his lighthouse… she had stirred him into the right path and now it was up to him...

to be continued...