Chapter 3

“Meeting at nine, brunch with the Simpsons, board meeting at two and Mr. Angel asks to speak to you.” Said a brunette holding a clipboard in front of her as she told William his agenda for the next day.

“Peaches is making appointments now?” He asked sarcastically.

“No. His secretary called and told me that he was on his way over… now.” she said that last part simultaneously with the opening of the door of the study where Angel came strolling in. “I’ll leave you two alone.” She said as she went out the door closed behind a brunette holding a baby boy that had just entered.

“A visit? Wow, did something horrific happened that you had to come here for… and you brought in the whole family…” he said as he waved to Angel’s wife and kid at the back getting themselves comfortable on the sofa by the door.

“Haha!” Angel swinged his leg over the table and got in on what William is reading. “Guess you did hire a nanny huh?” he said as he held the piece of paper in the air to read. “Summers… pretty girl…” he said as he saw her picture and replaced the resume back on the table.

“Yeah… pain in the butt more like if you ask me…” he scoffed.

“Anyway… I’m here to REMIND you—“

“Yeah…yeah…” he cut him off as he waved his hand in the air and approached the mother and child.

“Have you looked—“

“How’s our little bit here…” he said as he swept the baby boy off her mom’s arms and swung him in the air which caused the baby to laugh out loud. “Daddy taking care of you rather than,” he threw a glance Angel’s way, “getting into other people’s business.”

Angel gave up and sent off a sigh as he flapped his arms in the air as if saying, ‘fine…fine.’

“Actually, there are other reasons why we came here,” the woman said speaking for the first time.

“And what is it then?” he asked nonchalantly as he continued making funny faces for the baby to laugh at.

“It’s Conner’s birthday this coming weekend and we’re having a party at the manor. We thought you could come being Conner’s godfather and all and you could bring Prue along too… you know to let her meet other kids.” She invited him.

“Oh, I don’t know… Cordelia,” he declined as he set Conner back into her mother’s arms and started for his desk. “I have a lot of work to catch up to and I’m not very good with the kids.”

“Not good with kids!” Angel exploded, “you were just playing with Conner for God’s sake!” As soon as the words came out of his mouth he regretted it and asked Cordelia and Conner to go on and look for Prue and keep her company while he talks some sense into William. As soon as they were out the door, “Is there something wrong that you are not telling me?”

“There’s nothing wrong… okay,” he replied, “I’m just not in the mood for a party, that’s all.”

“Not in the mood…” he echoed. “You have to get over her Will. She would have wanted you to.”

William darted a threatening look over his way, “It has nothing to do with that!”

“What is about then?” he answered back, “Is it about Prudence?”

“Why do you always presume it has something to do with her?” he asked quite defensively. “I just don’t want to go!” and they continued ramming down each other’s throat but neither getting anywhere.

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

“Hey can I come in?” Cordelia asked as she tapped on the door and entered Prue’s bedroom where Buffy was watching over her by the playpen. “I’m Cordy” she introduced herself, “Angel’s my husband,” she said as she set Conner down beside Prue.

Buffy complied with a smile. “I’m –“ she extended her hand to shake.

“Buffy.” Cordelia cut her off. “I know,” she responded with a tight smile. “I think they’re having an argument or something, you know how they are.”

“Actually, I don’t… I’m new here.” She said as she continued to watch Prue go over to Conner’s side and grab her stuff Barney away from him. “Prue, learn to share,” she chided her as she grabbed the stuff animal and brought it back to Conner.

“Oh, yeah Angel told me,” she answered as she gave Buffy an uncanny look ‘that is one in control nanny’.

“Prue!” she chided yet again as the baby continued to take away every single toy Conner took interest in.

“She’s not very good at sharing now is she,” Cordelia observed as she pick Conner up and brought him over to the floor in the middle of them and gave him a stuff pig instead.

“No I don’t think so,” Buffy concluded. “I guess she’s not use to having playmates.”

“You should bring her to the park sometime.” Cordy suggested, “Me and Conner always go to this one down Oxford Street, it’s really nice, very clean.”

“Okay… we’ll definitely see that as an option.”

“Honey…” they simultaneously directed their view at the door as Angel pushed it open. “We should go.”

“Well, it’s nice meeting you Buffy.” Cordy bid goodbye as she carried Conner up. “I’ll see you at the party?”

“Party?” she asked bewildered.

“Yeah, Conner’s birthday Party this weekend,” he voice faded as she went deeper out the hall.

‘Party…’ Buffy thought and just like that a light bulb appeared on the top of her head.

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

“Cancel that brunch with the Simpson’s, Faith.” William ordered as he walked through the hall and down the stairs. “I’m not in the mood to see that jackass. Postpone—“

He was interrupted as Buffy can tramping in from behind, “Excuse me, sir.” William looked back and asked Faith to move on as he continued his decent down the stairs and asked Buffy to continue. “Ms. Cordy had mentioned that Conner would be having a party this weekend and I was just wondering if what time it was gonna be so I can get Prue ready.”

“We’re not going,” he simply replied as he grabbed his briefcase from Willow and proceeded for the door.

“But-“

“I’m not going Ms. Summers,” he paused and gave her his resolve.

“Sir, I think it would really help Prue with her socializing with kids, she became very-“ Buffy said as she ran after his retreating form.

“We are not going Ms. Summers, what word of that don’t you understand?”

“I just-“

“No. We are not going” he insisted, “if you want to go and take her to the party… fine! Ask Rupert to take you… I can drive myself for the day.” He said as he got in the car and sped down the driveway.

Buffy just stood there dumbfounded, ‘he really does have a lot of issues!’ she concludes as she made her way back into the house. “Hey,” she heard someone say from behind. “He wasn’t like that before you know…”

“Excuse me?” she said as she turned around to see William’s secretary standing behind her holding her clipboard close to her chest.

“I’m Faith. William’s secretary.” He introduced herself as they made their way into the kitchen.

“Buffy,” she complied.

“I know, you’re the nanny.” Faith threw her a smile, “I got you resume this morning.” Buffy raised an eyebrow at her direction. “He asked for it.” She just nodded her head in understanding. “So, how’s he treating you?”

“Is bad enough of a word to describe it?” she said with a smile, which caused the brunette to laugh. “But no really… he’s just…” Buffy trailed off.

“Cold?” she supplied.

“Yeah,” she agreed.

“Damn hot though!”

“Uh huh,” Buffy said trying to sound like she didn’t care. Of course she definitely agreed if there was something on the positive side of William’s attitude it was that he was attractive and that’s about it, at least that’s what Buffy insisted on.

“He was so different before.” Faith reminisced, “So cocky! Not that, that was any better but…After that he just dramatically changed.”

“After what?” she asked though already having a slight idea on what the brunette was referring to.

But Faith continued on as if not hearing a word, “Of course who could blame him… I guess he just wouldn’t want to get too attached just in case…” she caught herself just before she said it.

“In case what?” Buffy asked intrigued. Maybe this could possibly help her with her hopeless mission or maybe not but she just really wanted to know.

“I’ve already said too much,” Faith replied cryptically. Buffy opened and closed her mouth a couple of times trying to interrupt but Faith just went on and on. “I think I better go, get back to the… yeah…” she said as she swiftly disappeared out of the door.

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

“Be careful, Prue.” Buffy reminded as if the she could understand her as she played with the piles of leaves on the garden had fallen from the trees. Going under and jumping over them. “So what was that you were saying?” Buffy asked her cousin as she took on last look at Prue’s direction.

“I said, I think that you should consider staying here longer,” Willow said as she and Buffy sit underneath the oak tree watching Prue play with the many leaves that have fallen off because of the season. She deliberately asked the gardener to keep them in one pile this morning because she wanted to see how Prue would react to multitudes of leaves at her dispense. “You’re really doing Prue a lot of good.” And indeed she was the baby had been closer to Buffy than anybody else in the household. She had been giving her extra attention more than what she was used to and Willow knew that, that was something Prue really needed especially with the absence of her mother and her almost always absentee father.

“I don’t think I’m fit for the job, Willow…plus William already hates my guts as it is.” Buffy really enjoyed her job more than she would have expected she would. She never knew how much she loved kids until now, she wanted to teach Prue so much… she wanted to show her so much of what is out there in the world. It’s such a shame that her father hardly takes her out to the park, to the mall or even around their mansion of a house. All day she’s always kept within the quarters of her room not being able to see anything except the pink walls of her bedroom. She couldn’t see herself staying here longer than she’s needed. She knows that William would be more than glad to fire her if only he had another choice and she’s not going to go against his wishes. “As soon as there’s a replacement I’ll go.”

“I don’t think he hates you per say… to tell you the truth I think he likes you.” Willow commented as she watched Prue crawl underneath the heft of leaves then stick her head out right in the middle giggling in the process.

“Like me?” she scoffed. “As if!”

“No really!” the redhead insisted.

“Well he’s not showing it very well then.”

“Is that so?” Willow teased, “Then why is he looking out from his window right at this moment.”

Immediately Buffy’s head turned 180 degrees as she stared up at the window where William’s study resided and indeed he was looking at their direction and as soon as he saw her he quickly let go of the curtain hiding his presence in the process. “Well that’s something…”

“I told you he likes you…” Willow insisted on like a high school girl insisting on the newest gossip she had heard.

“He probably was just checking up on Prue…” she reasoned and Willow gave her a ‘really?’ look saying, “Is he checking up on Prue? Or is he checking up on YOU?” Buffy just shrugged her shoulders in response as if she didn’t give a care as she went over to the pile of leaves and picked Prue up ready to get her cleaned up. ‘If he really does like me, maybe I can use that to my advantage’ she plotted in her mind as she went into the house and got themselves ready for dinner.

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

“Change that. And for God’s sake tell Peaches to stop calling me!” William reminded Faith as he swung the door into the dinning room.

“Now is that the right language to be saying in front of your child?” Joyce chided as she placed the cooked dishes on the table.

“Good evening!” was Buffy’s welcome beside Prue who was sitting on her high chair that was positioned just beside the head of the table.

“I’ll leave you people be. Enjoy dinner!” Joyce exited the room through the kitchen followed by some of her helpers.

William was astonished to see them or rather anybody since he usually always takes his dinner on his own. “Do you need anything Ms. Summers?”

“No.” Buffy complied as she fed Prue a spoonful of porridge.

“What are you doing here then?” William asked as he sat on the head of the table and started to help himself to the food in front of him.

“Me and Prue just thought we would join you for dinner.” She answered simply as she sat on the chair right beside Prue. “You don’t mind, do you?”

William just shook his head as he took a drink out of his glass of water. Time pass as neither said a word.

“Will you be busy tomorrow?” Buffy asked and broke he silence that had befallen the room for the last ten minutes or so.

“Come again?” William looked up from his plate to see Prue playing with her spoon making the carrots and potatoes mushier than they already are as she tried to get the spoon reach her mouth but fail miserably and try again. That’s something amazing about kids he thought. They are so innocent that they don’t know what’s failure they keep on trying until there is none. They never give up.

“I asked if you were to do anything tomorrow?” William answered her with a question asking why it was to be any of her business. “I thought you could join Prue and me at the party.”

William looked at her with a mixture of impatience and exasperation, “You really are that stubborn aren’t you?” he shook his head. “What word of no, never and leave me out of it don’t you understand? Should I ask Willow to get you the dictionary maybe?”

“I was just trying to ask.”

“And ask you do over and over again!” He ran his hand through his hair as he got up from his seat and threw his napkin on the table. “The answer is no… and that’s not going to change.” Hearing this, Buffy found him out of the room with the door swinging behind him. She had a feeling that his ‘never’ was not just for tomorrow but for something all together too.

to be continued...