Chapter 4

“Which do you like better the pink or the purple?” Buffy held up the two tiny dresses in her hand. The whole weekend she had tried again and again to persuade William to join them at Conner’s birthday party. But he too repeatedly declined not stating any kind of explanation or alibi for his refusal. That’s didn’t stopped Buffy though for she constantly followed him and continued to ask him the same question saying it in as many ways as she can. “Would you be coming with us?” “Prue would love it if you would come.” “Angel called asking for you to come.” “Ms. Joyce said that you should go.” but she got the same answer every single time. “NO!”

Finally last night she gave up and retreated from his study with a huff, not forgetting to leave one of her witty retorts, ‘You’re not just declining an invitation you’re losing your daughter in the process too.” hoping that somehow it might swing him a little as she shut the door behind her.

Prue cooded in reply. “I like the pink one better too.” She said as she hung the purple furry dress back on the closet and started to get Prudence dressed. There was a knock at the door, “Yeah…” she called as she fit the dress down her tiny legs.

Willow peeked her head in, “Mr. Giles is here. He said he’s ready whenever you are.”

“Thanks, Will.” She replied as she went over to the dresser leaving Prue in the playpen. “What do you think, should I braid her hair or what?” she walked back with a handful of clips and pins in her hand.

Willow entered the threshold and walked over to where they were. “I think braiding her hair the band style would look really adorable” she offered her opinion. Buffy nodded her head and began the task at hand. “So I assume the persuading didn’t go very well.”

“That guy is one hard nut to crack!” she commented as she twisted Prue’s hair into a braid. “He’s soooo grrr! I don’t know, something!” Willow was curious why her cousin was so keen on bringing William along with her and Prue but that thought was put to rest when she asked “How do you put up with him?”

“It’s an art really… they should have it on the Olympics next time” she mentioned out loud. Buffy just nodded her head giving her a small smile as she dismissed her thoughts. “But he’s really nice once you get to know him.”

“Yeah right!” she exclaimed as she finished her job and started to grab Prue and her stuff and headed for the stairs as Willow went in another direction saying she’s got to finish some folding. ‘Like he’ll change’

“Hey!” she heard someone call from the opposite side of the hall, as a figure came jogging towards their direction she continued her decent down the steps Prue in one arm. “Aren’t you gonna wait for me?”

“I thought you weren’t coming?” Buffy asked as they descended the stairs William beside her.

“Well, Cordy called this morning asking me to come… for Conner of course.” He shrugged his shoulders, “what can I say, I can’t refuse a lady…” he trailed off as he took the steps two at a time surprisingly in a good mood.

“But the whole week—am I not –“ Buffy trailed off as she followed him out the door. “Is your Daddy weird or what?” she asked Prue but she just stuffed her head in her neck as Buffy shook her head.

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

“Okay kiddies, let’s have our lunch. I’m sure your little tummies are growling right now” she said with a smile. “When we’re done the magic show will be up next!” the host announced as the guest dispersed themselves into their own tables.

‘Now he’s feeding her…’

“What?” William asked at Buffy’s stare.

“Huh?” she said quite disoriented, “nothing…” she replied as she tried to keep her eyes from lingering. Buffy felt surprised because for some miracle that particular day William was being extra affectionate to his daughter. He had carried the baby around as soon as they passed the threshold of the O’Conner’s Manor as if showing off to that world that he’s the proudest father. Buffy considered that maybe it was just from the lack of sleep or from what she had mentioned last night but the back of her mind whispered something else… that something was up.

After their meal that consisted of nothing but the most delicious gourmet food money can buy, what rich people can afford, the magician who seemed to have ate way too much on the count of he was turning green, literally, was up on stage ready to perform. He invited the children to take the front row center chairs to be able to get the full view, the children scurried themselves in their chairs. William had angled his seat to face the stage as he sat Prue on his lap bouncing her there in the process as she too did the same.

With each performance, the children ‘oohhed…’, ‘aahhhed’ and clapped their little hands vigorously as Lorne, as the magician called himself, successfully completed each act. “Okay, now kids this will be the last act.” The children groaned at that. “But,” he added, “this will be the best performance yet” which caught the attention of the kids who were staring right at him. “But first I’ll be needing a volunteer from the audience.” He looked at the crowed scanning the guest around him. The children raised their hands wanting to partake in the act. “No, no children.” He shook his head, “this time I’ll be needing a volunteer from the grown ups!” he said as he continued to scan the crowed and came a stop, a smile forming on his lips. With that all the children including the adults looked at the direction he was staring at. “You!” he called with much enthusiasm as if he had found the holy grail. “Billy Idol wanna be.”

All eyes were on William as he pointed at himself as if asking ‘me?’ and Lorne answered him, “Yes, you, sweetcheeks! Come on right up!”

William shook his head in refusal, all eyes were on him including Angel’s which he threw a devious look at, ‘Peaches probably set it up, that ponce!’ and Buffy who had a smile on her face, a smile he couldn’t quite decipher the meaning of. Lorne was coming down on him ready to pull him up the stage. “Come on! Help a fella out… for the kiddies.” He said as he extended his hand as an invitation or simply a way to pull him up the stage if he refuses.

William darted a look at Buffy’d direction which Lorne misinterpreted, “Would it be better if the misses came?” he said as he pulled Buffy to her feet. Her eyes went as big as saucers at the thought of her going up the stage and doing god knows what! “Come on now!” Before neither could complain about the green magician’s remark they were already being pushed up the stage as the audience clapped their hands encouraging them while the two blondes look at each other with sheer embarrassment. Prue was still on William’s arm as they stood atop the stage the whole crowd looking at them with amusement.

“I’ll take her…” Angel offered to release William of Prue. Utter delight over his friend’s discomfort seen right through him.

“Okay,” Lorne turned his focus back to his audience, “Our next and final act would be the disappearing act. And here to help me is my lovely assistant, Fred come on out!” he introduced as a fairly dress lady came out from the right pushing a big black box with her positioning it at the middle of the stage. “Now the lovely Fred would be assisting our couple inside the box…” he trialed off as Fred asked the two blondes to get inside the box and whispered, “It’s gonna get a bit dark… don’t panic.” Then with that she let go of the curtain as Lorne continued talking to the children.

“Oh how original, the double curtain act!” William commented quite smugly.

“Tough it out, Big bad!” she dubbed him as she gave him an amusing smile.

Soon Buffy felt the walls moving as if it were closing in on her. She never told anybody that she was claustrophobic, actually she herself didn’t know until recently. It was when she was doing her practicum in one of the hospitals she was working on. It was fine really until they let her get some towels at the supply closet which was no problem until the door got stuck. She called for help and her co-worker said he’d be right back then the lights went off for some bizarre reason and she suddenly felt like the walls were moving in on her. Until then even elevator rides scared her, though she could take them she always preferred to stay away for she also got stuck in one before.

And now her situation is really making her feel uneasy as she tried to collect herself. Instinctively closing her eyes from fear and holding on to something is what she always does or to shout, but that’s not really an option right now, and this time it was William hand she held on to as her body shook slightly from fear. “Oh my god…” she breathed as the grip on William’s hand tightened.

He didn’t know what got into him but he had this urge to comfort the woman beside him, maybe it the old English man in him. “Hey it’s okay…” he placed his hand over hers and gently drew circles at the back of her hand to ease her tension. He had no idea why the woman’s hand beside him was shaking but he really didn’t give it much thought as he continued to soothe her.

“Oh god… oh god…” Buffy continued to mutter under her breath as they heard Lorne show the audience the empty box.

“Scared are we, luv?” William asked in a teasing manner which caused Buffy to notice their conjoined hands and quickly pulled hers away. Soon they heard Lorne say to the audience that they were gonna bring them back as Buffy recited a mantra of curse under her breath until she felt William’s hand clasping over hers giving her a reassuring squeeze.

The drum rolled as Fred opened the curtain and two blonde could be seen holding each other’s hand as the audience clapped.

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

“Isn’t it just sweet!” Buffy commented as she helped Joyce cook again the morning breakfast. Prudence was still asleep so she thought she’d help around the house since she was already up. “You hardly see a guy do such a thing… and from him nonetheless!” She got plates out of the cup board and placed coffee on a Styrofoam cup. “I mean not that I liked it…” she backtracked. “It’s just well, it was surprising. That’s all…” she said with a smile.

“Well you should have seen him before…” Joyce shook her head in resentment as she spread some butter across the toast. “A year ago from now maybe, he was so full of life, so full of spirit.” She placed the toast on one of the plates. “You would have loved to meet him. It just takes time… he’ll come around…”

Before Buffy could give a reply, the doors of the kitchen swung open William on the other side a smile, rarely seen, on his face. “Good morning ladies!” he said quite cheery as he took his cup from Buffy not forgetting to give her a wink when he did.

Buffy’s cheeks went pink as she answered his gesture with a smile.

“You seem to be in a good mood today, Will dear.” Joyce said as she handed him a plate of toast much like a mother forcing his son to eat his breakfast.

“Not really… just feeling extra chirpy that’s all!” and with that he was out the door as Rupert drove out of the driveway.

“See, he’s coming around already!” Joyce said as she picked up the untouched plate of toast and shook her head.

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

“Yeah… I want you to get right on to that okay. No more slacking off.” He warned onto one of his employees. Since he’d been gone for the last couple of months he noticed a downfall in production. What people do when they know their boss wouldn’t be looking over their shoulders. Good thing Angel came in from time to time making sure things are still in order or else he wouldn’t know what could have happen; which could have added up on his in-laws insistent dislike of him. Now with Drusilla gone he didn’t know if they were to be placing more pressure on him or just leave him be. He hoped it was the latter but knowing his in-laws he doubted it.

As he ended his call he spun on his chair. “Angel…” he acknowledged his lawyer and somewhat best friend’s presence as the brunette stride into his office with much confidence.

“Hey, how’s our big star dad doing huh?” Angel sneered as he swung his legs over William’s desk. “Good thing you came to the party, put in a good face and all.” He poked at some of his pens and played with the pendulum, seemingly ever so comfortable. “Saw you making it good with the nanny… Betty was it?” he told him as he raised his eyebrow at him and came over to the large window behind William and stared out into the city.

“It’s Buffy…and I wasn’t “making it good” as you put it.” He answered.

‘Keep telling yourself that…’ “Anyway, it does not matter… I say that the in-laws bought it hook line and sinker” William simply shook his head in dismay and closed his eyes briefly for his comment. But tough times call for tough measures, you got to what you got to do. “Now, I was thinking…”

“No more!” William stopped him before he can even relay his plan. “That was enough.”

“Just hear me out-“

“No!” he looked at him with resolve but he too carried the same expression. As William felt himself slowly crumble, he wondered if the prize at the end of the tunnel was worth this whole sham.

to be continued...

A/N: I had a rough time writing this, so I haope it's okay. Thanks for all those who reviewed BTW. Glad you're all liking the story.