The smell of smoke drifted through the air as birds sang in the early morning light. The sun's rays filtered through the tree top canopy, casting streams of light onto the soft grass below as the world slowly came alive and a new day dawned.



William moved his head, trying unsuccessfully to open his eyes as he did, before he raised his hand to his face. He groaned slightly as pain still racked his body before lowering his arm.



"Buffy."



The only sounds he was able to hear were the birds and the occasional rustling in the bushes as animals scurried around. His face felt like he had slammed into a tree and he wasn't able to open either eye as they were both swollen shut. Leaning to the side, William was able to prop up on one arm, sitting on his elbow for a minute, trying to let the dizzy feelings pass before he turned his head, trying to figure out where Buffy had gone.



Buffy was smiling as she finally saw the thin line of smoke from the fire she had built up ahead as she rode Angelus' horse back to where she had left William. She had left him as the sun had come up, trying to see if there were a water source nearby. As she cleared the trees, her eyes instantly fell to where she had left him and her smile widened as she saw him sitting up.



"Hey, you're awake." She said as she finally came to a stop and slid from the horse.



William's head turned to the right when he heard her voice and he wished he could see her. He could tell by the sound of her voice she was smiling and he wanted nothing more than to see it. "Yeah, barely," He told her.



Buffy's smile disappeared as she finally got a good look at him in the light. His entire face was colored with large purple and red bruises and both of his eyes were swollen shut. She walked slowly towards him, smiling again before sitting on her knees in front of him.



"How do you feel?" She asked, searching his face.



"Like someone beat the hell out of me," he said, offering a smile but realizing it as a mistake when his pain shot through his face.



"Well, it looks like someone did," Buffy said, smiling up at him. "Are you hungry?"



"Yeah, did you find something?" William asked as he heard her stand and walk away.



"Actually, Angelus had plenty in his bags," She said, smiling as she grabbed the satchel bags and brought them back over to where William was sitting. "Fresh water as well."



"And you took his horse," William said after hearing the animal stomp and snarl lightly.



"Yes, don't you remember?" Buffy asked, digging into the bag and pulling the roll of sweet bread she had found the night before out.



"Don't remember much other than getting my head beat in."



Buffy smiled slightly as she looked back up. "Well, you gave Angelus a good kick to the head as well, knocked him out cold. I took his horse and brought you and it into the forest."



"What happened to Angelus?"



"I left him lying there," Buffy told him, breaking off a piece of the bread and handing it to him.



William looked down as he felt her hand on his and his head lifted as she handed him the bread, her hand cupped around his for a long minute before she took it away. He smiled slightly, looking back down before raising his arm.



"So, did you start the fire or did the fairies do it?" William asked, taking a small bite from the bread.



Buffy laughed before shaking her head as she reached for the water flask and opened it. "I did it."



"Really?" William asked, surprised.



"Yes really," Buffy said, grinning "I'm not completely useless you know; I've been watching you." She ducked her head and was glad he couldn't see her as her face burned.



"Have you now?" William asked, smiling, knowing her face was probably three shades of red.



Buffy turned her head, busying herself with the contents of Angelus' things as she waited for the glow to disappear from her face before she turned back to William. "So, I found a pond a little ways up. We can move up there once you're able to."



"Is that where you were?"



"Yes. This place is beautiful," she said, smiling brightly. "I can't wait for you to see it."



"Seen anything unusual yet?"



"Like what?" Buffy asked, handing him the water flask.



"Well, the fairies for one," William said, smiling.



Buffy laughed, watching as he tried to lift the flask before she reached up, helping him hold it. "There are no fairies."



"Says who?"



"Well, have you ever seen one? They're just a tale."



"Just like everything else in the forest."



"Well I haven't seen anything other than just really odd flowers and trees."



"Well then we won't leave until you've seen a fairy then, how's that?" He asked as he held out the flask for her to take.



Buffy giggled, capping the flask before sitting it aside. "Well, we may be here forever if were waiting just to see a fairy."



"I don't have problem with that," William said softly.



Buffy's head shot up at his words and a smile formed on her face as she looked at him. Even with his eyes swollen shut and his face three different colors, she could still tell he had meant what he had said. "Yes, well I'm sure Prince Edward might," she said softly, hating the thought of marrying the prince as soon as she mentioned his name.



"Suppose he would," William told her, eating his last bite of bread. "So, where's this water hole you found?"



"It's just up the trail a ways," Buffy said, placing the remaining bread back into the satchels. "I can't wait for you to see it," she told him, her face almost glowing as she spoke. "It is so beautiful. It's surrounded by flowers, and there's a small waterfall on one end."



"A waterfall?"



"Yeah, kinda strange seeing how most of the ground here is flat."



"Well, nothing's ever really as it seems here, or at least I've heard."



"I guess so," Buffy said, smiling. "We'll move there as soon as you feel up to it."



William shook his head slightly, leaning back on one arm before sighing heavily. He could hear Buffy rustling around in the bags she had taken from Angelus before she stood and walked away.



His head turned to the side, hearing the horse once again walking around and his mind flashed back to Angelus and how long it would be before he tried to capture Buffy again. If one thing he knew, Angelus wouldn't stop until he had her.





________________________________________





Angelus began to stir, the dew from the grass soaking his clothes as the sun shined around him. His eyes opened slowly before he looked around, seeing nothing but wide- open fields before the forest came into view.



Raising up, he instantly grabbed his head as pain shot through his body. He could feel the wet sticky blood that had poured from the open cut just below his hairline before his face twisted in anger.



Sitting up, he searched the field, scowling as his horse and belongings were gone. Returning his gaze back to the forest, a string of curses were shouted before he stood. Reaching into the front of his shirt, Angelus pulled the large medallion that hung around his neck out before holding it between his fingers. Closing his eyes, he began to chant, the metal between his fingers warming before it started to glow. As his chants grew louder, the air around him became charged with electricity, flashes of lightening breaking through the calm of the valley before a loud, piercing whistle broke through the silence around him. As the last word was muttered, lightening shook the ground around him before he was encased in light, a bright glow illuminating his body. "See you real soon.William," He said, looking towards the forest as his body disappeared into the light.





________________________________________





Ethan smiled as he heard the air crackle around him before he turned; the soft glow of light growing in the center of the room, widening as he stepped back. He looked towards the witch, his pride swelling as his attention was once again drawn to the light that was rapidly growing in the room.



As the lightening began to crackle a figure was slowly seen taking shape before the whistling rang out in the stone-walled room. With a piercing scream, light erupted, causing all present to shield their eyes as Angelus' body slumped to the ground, his agonizing screams dying as the light slowly receded.



"I take it you were unsuccessful in obtaining the Princess?" Ethan said as he took a step towards Angelus, a tiny smile gracing his face.



Angelus turned his head and his entire body felt hot as he slowly opened his eyes, looking up into his father's smiling face. "You would think being a mighty sorcerer, that you could find a way for that to not be so painful."



"Ah, well if you would have completed your task right, then there would have been no need for your pain."



"Still doesn't explain why it hurts so much," Angelus grumbled, sitting up slowly.



"What happened?" Ethan asked as he turned, walking back towards the table the witch was currently at.



"They got away," Angelus told him, finally making it to his feet. "Not sure how really, but my men were nowhere to be found and William, the princess and my horse were gone when I woke."



"When you woke?" Ethan asked, turning to look at his son.



"Yes, when I woke," he said, rolling his eyes slightly before sitting down in the chair by the fire.



"I take it there was a confrontation," Ethan said, giving his son a good look. "I do hope you were able to a least slow them down."



"Oh, I'm sure William isn't up to his usual self this morning," Angelus said, smiling as he stared into the fire.



"Yes well, William being beaten has nothing to do with the Princess," Ethan said, walking around the table. "If they've made it into the forest, our task will be more difficult."



"Well, you are the one with all the knowledge, so find a way."



Angelus turned his head as he heard the small chuckle coming from his father before a smile broke out on his face. "I take it you found one?"



"Indeed I have."



"And?"



"And my dear son, the princess will be ours, or, yours rather," Ethan said with a gleam in his eye. "The Torlothan will secure her for us."



"The Torlothan?" Angelus asked, surprised. "I thought that was a myth."



"Oh, it exists, I can assure you," Ethan told him as he leafed through a stack of old parchments. "Harnessing its power will be the difficult part."



"And how do you suggest we do that?"



"Just leave everything to me." Ethan said, smiling. "Princess Elizabeth will be in our possession before they ever reach Alcala."





________________________________________







Buffy busied herself with gathering up more firewood and keeping the small fire she had managed to start, burning as William lay on his side. She couldn't tell if he were sleeping or just lying there. She would steal glances at him every so often, a pang of guilt running through her every time she did. He looked worse now than he had the night before and she knew that it was all because of her.



They had talked briefly as he ate but she could tell it hurt him to do so. His entire face was swollen and if she didn't know it was him, she wouldn't have even recognized him. She wondered how long it would be until he was rested and healed enough to continue on their journey. She was sure King Rupert knew of their disappearance by now which meant, that her mother knew as well.



She hated worrying them and wished there were a way to let them know she was okay. She felt relieved in knowing that they were probably looking for them by now and hoped that once they cleared the forest, they would be rescued and not have to make the rest of the journey on foot.



Walking over to the last of the small logs she had found, Buffy sat down by the fire. Her attention fell back to William and a sad smile covered her face as she looked at him. As much as she wanted the comforts of home, she knew that once she arrived in Alcala, things would be different. No longer would it be appropriate for her to be around William, no matter what they had been through together. He was a servant and she was royalty. He was only there to serve his king.



She knew they had only been missing for a few days and the wedding wasn't to take place for another month. A true smile lit up her face, knowing that at least she would have this time with him, even if it were short lived. Just being able to spend time with him would be worth more than all the riches in the world, for as soon as she reached Alcala, the love she had finally found would be forced away, replaced with a duty to her kingdom, and her king.